Business class. Is it worth it??

fifi69

I have been upgraded to business class 3 times now, purely on the basis that I'm a silver member with Emirates, I didn't wangle points which was a bugger! It's worth it, I'm 6ft2 with broad shoulders and found sleeping a little annoying when sat in cattle class. Although, saying that on these new big A380s and even the Boeing 777s there is enough leg room.

Never flown first class but would love to have a look inside for sure!

Jammy get!! :) I'm a silver member too and I've never been upgraded! :( I had to use 50,000 points!

Think about the money that people who buy season tickets to certain EPL clubs 'waste', especially if they are Spurs fans (like me.) Any sane person would put it into a pension fund.

The first time I went business class, I was in Singapore, flying home to the UK, not feeling well, and feeling even worse when I found out I could not have an aisle seat for the 13 hour flight to LHR. I did not even think to ask to pay for the upgrade from economy, I just pulled my VISA card out and said 'I want to go business.' Sure I felt guilty, for a while. My Dad was still alive and I ALWAYS felt guilty when it came to spending money and telling him!

I just spent $8,000 on a hernia operation because I wanted to have it done privately and ASAP - less than four weeks from seeing my GP, referral to surgeon 'when would you like it done? - and the actual operation, including an extra grand because I needed another night in hospital. I could have waited a few months and had it done in a public hospital.

'What a waste, what a waste, but the world don't mind!'

I think it may be worth it but only if you upgrade using frequent flyer points.

I have a mate who knows every point trick in the book (opening credit cards just for the points then closing them etc), who is currently planning a trip to UK for him and his wife. Totally on points. she is getting 1st class on points he business class on another airline. Not very romantic but they are meeting up in London within half an hour of each other.

I have travelled a lot with Emirates in business and some in first. In a word, yes, it is worth it.

The big big pluses for me are the following:

emirates pick you up from your house and take you to the airport and take you home at the end.

Your chair goes flat so, you in effect have a bed so can get a good sleep. They come around after take off and put a mattress down on it for you and give a decent pillow.

Entertainment is much better - bigger screen and comfortable headphones

food is obviously a lot better (though first is incredible - I always order the beluga caviar served with all the trimmings)

the business lounge is a god send. In Dubai it means you can relax in a comfortable chair or even a lounger that you can sleep on. You are served meals - pretty good quality and a huge selection of different restaurants, even a ice cream bar. The showers are nice and very pleasant. I normally have a shower.

You are off the plane before most, so first in the ques for passport and things.

Th Perth Emirates lounge is also excellent.

The he advantages of first - you get a private suite, you eat when you want, the service is incredible.

As with most people on here I do not think the cost is worth the benefit for what is a relatively short time. I am 6ft 2in 95kg (not fat just heavy) with broad shoulders, we fly long haul every 12-18 months and I (and my wife) really have no problem in Cattle class or with jet lag.

We just had a return to California with Virgin the only problem was the rather hard seats on the ar$e. we did ( like the Pom Queen) get an email about bidding to upgrade to premium economy, but the bidding started at $400 per seat per flight, so that was a minimum of $1600 when the flight only cost us $1250 each, when I saw the seating in premium then glad I did not even bid $50.

The new A380 with Singapore is good with the seating upstairs, but be aware not all their planes are configured with the economy upstairs, we have not had to pay any extra for these seat by booking direct with Singapore, we did however with Malaysian at $50 per seat per flight, but we have also just booked with Malayasian again for next May and have not had to pay the extra this time. just as a tip the upstairs economy is configured 2-4-2 with the window seat having a little storage cupboard between the seat and window making the whole seat seem roomier and not having your clutter all over the floor and you helps too.

Economy all the way for us means two holidays for the price of one!

the newer planes have some new type seats which when reclinded do not really change the seatback to knee clearance

It all comes down to personal preference and of course, financial situation.

Some people like to buy a new car or new watch regularly, some smoke, some like designer clothes etc etc. For me, I have three things I plan for with my finances - Flying business class on long haul flights is one of them. like Verystomy, I fly emirates regularly and love their service. I live in Aus but all my flights start in the UK (i.e. when I go back to the UK in June I will use the return leg of my previous flight) therefore I get my flights for around 3,200 quid rather than 7,500 dollars. The frequent flyer points mean I upgrade my wife when she flies back, the extra baggage means I can always take the presents or buy extra clothes in the Uk etc etc, the chauffeur service saves me around $200 in total. The sleep I get is priceless to me. I fully understand that some people will look at these reasons for my extravagance and think it isn't with it but my guess is that I would think the same of some of their spending habits.

So in short if you have the money and you want to try it then go for your life!!

Daniel

I've posted this before...

I started this thread elsewhere about 5 years ago and loads of people have taken advantage of this information to book business class flights return to the UK for probably around A$3k return. Some of the info has changed certainly since that first post but the nuts and bolts are essentially the same. It might seem too good to be true but it really isn't!

I've posted this before...

I started this thread elsewhere about 5 years ago and loads of people have taken advantage of this information to book business class flights return to the UK for probably around A$3k return. Some of the info has changed certainly since that first post but the nuts and bolts are essentially the same. It might seem too good to be true but it really isn't!

OK I'll bite - did you mean to post a link to that information or did I miss something somewhere?

Guest The Pom Queen
OK I'll bite - did you mean to post a link to that information or did I miss something somewhere?

He did, unfortunately as I explained to him in a pm this morning we cannot accept the posted link on this forum

Guest The Pom Queen
Is it illegal ?

No Parley it is an excellent way it is just that we don't allow external links to other forums. I've asked BC if he minds copying his post here or allowing me to do it for him. It's a case of using points and buying points.

Is it illegal ?

No, not at all, although I understand you all think I'm one of the dodgy brothers now!

Some of this info used to be tucked away in flyer forums mostly although as it has recently gone a bit more mainstream so I'll post a different (approved!) credible link.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/buying-us-airways-dividend-miles-for-low-cost-oneworld-flights

This is just one example of a frequent flyer program that allows this kind of discount sale of miles/points. There are many others. The link I intended to post provides many real world examples of itineraries people have booked using the buy miles approach.

Personally, I am booked to fly back to the UK in the peak Xmas period on Thai Airways in F class for not much more than the cost of economy in that season. I have previously flown Thai business and first many times on bought points as well as other airlines. Sometimes the cost is significantly more than economy, other times about the same (depends on the time of year...clearly cash fares go up and down, mileage fares are always the same)...but always much less than paid (with cash) business class!

I'm not sure if this reply has already been given to you but I would highly recommend saving your money and just going in economy class with a decent airline over to South East Asia and then pick up an Air Asia X flight from somewhere like Kuala Lumpa on to Australia - I'm looking at flights at the minute and an Air Asia X business class ticket is only just over £300 - it's not quite the business class you would expect as there is no free food, drinks or TV but you do get a flat bed and 40kg of baggage so at 10% (if not less) of the normal price for a business class flight I'd highly recommend you go for that option!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest littlesarah

I think it depends what's important to you. We flew to Australia on a one-way ticket in business, paid for by me working overtime. The work I did was physically and mentally demanding, and I decided that I wanted to start our life in Aus by doing something I'd always wanted to do and fly business class. Yes, it was expensive, and we could have made 'better' use of the money, but I have never regretted that journey. I love travelling, including flying, so I considered it as a 24-hour 'holiday'.

I don't personally consider that business class is a rip-off, because the seats are way bigger (lie-flat and 33" wide with Singapore), the food is better, and of course the service is enhanced. The use of a lounge before a flight is something I also appreciate (though that can be bought or acquired of course!). However, having been upgraded to premium economy, I don't think it is worth the extra money - the seats are bigger but they don't recline into a bed like the better business class ones do!

Here's how you fly business, anywhere in the world. WARNING - you will need to use your brain.

Take the deposit you were going to spend on a bubble priced house in Australia, or an 'investment house' what-ever that means here.

Buy 1x outright and 2x 80% LVR properties in the USA. Purchase and manage those via a company structure in the USA. Funnel all the proceeds i.e. net cash flow into the company bank account.

Next time you need to go to the UK / USA or where-ever - break out the company debit card and purchase your business class flight. Also use the same card for your Audi A4 / Camero rental at destination.

Or, you could just do what everyone else does...........

• 1 month later...
Never flown anything apart from cattle class. Looking at flights back to the UK in may.

OH says he isn't coming, so I'm wondering if its worth splashing out seeing as its just me.

prices are making my eyes water though. I've not got long legs, so don't feel cramped in economy, I always book an aisle seat so I can wander at leisure, I've never suffered with jet lag....but I just hate flying.

What's it like turning right? Which airline gives the best business experience? Who gives the best value for money?

any tips on getting business at a better price?

Simple answer is yes and no....

If you can afford it, or someone else is paying it's a different world from cattle class. If you are paying, and aren't loaded, then grit your teeth and suck it up in economy.

Through my job, I've flown round the globe in business class and it's wonderful. Makes flying fun again. I'd never pay for it myself though, and I'm 6'1 and a former prop forward, with an ever expanding wasteline. Economy is so uncomfortable for me, but not as uncomfortable as spending an extra $5K per ticket!

If you do go business don't bother with any airline with an angled lie-flat bed (such as the Malaysian flights in and out of Melbourne). You constantly slide down the bed and it's not great for sleeping.

For me, Singapore Airlines is the best business class by a country mile. Very wide seat, loads of space, good service, good food, good lounges. Personally, I don't like the seats on Emirates (big seat but half of it taken up with a pointless minibar - no booze on it either). BA is awful, packed in like sardines and you'll have to gaze lovingly in to a stranger's eyes for 14 hours as the seats are arrange forwards and backwards. Never flown Qantas long haul business but it's supposed to be okay. Malaysian - nothing special. Qatar is good, but a bit narrow for me. Can't comment on any of the others like Etihad or Cathay Pacific.

Good luck!

Archived