Undecided

chipvan

Hi, we're a family of four, daughter age 7 and son age 2, and we're undecided as to whether a move to oz is worth the obvious upheaval! My wife and I visited for a month pre kids and loved it, but we're not sure whether a move is better for us than staying in UK.

We have a good life over here with great friends and family but the thought of moving to oz is never far from our minds, now more than ever with all this Isis stuff going on and the British government's inability to see the danger on our doorstep.

Has anyone got any opinions on this either way, we would really appreciate your advice, thank you!

Honestly, if you are happy and have a good life in the UK, I'd seriously consider staying put. A month on holiday is nothing like migrating with two young kids and leaving it all behind. Migrating is hard, migrating with kids, harder in many ways as you worry for them first before yourself.

If you were really sure it's what you wanted, were keen to go, you'd probably be getting on and doing it or have done it. Or at least more confident in knowing it is what you want to work towards.

The Aus gov is no better than the UK one in many ways. In some ways worse. I find a great deal of the politics here hard to stomach and don't support or agree with many of their policies.

I used to think 'better to regret something you did' but my new motto is 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'

Can you 'try before you buy'? Maybe come out for two years with a plan to return if you prefer your life in the UK? I wish we had done that.

Your children are young enough to have an adventure without it adversely affecting their education.

As ISIS for etc. the terrorism threat in Australia has just been upped to high (same as the UK), and whereas in the UK there was plenty of countries I felt safe travelling to from Australia I felt rather trapped unless it was long haul.

Are you able to get a permanent visa? I'd only ever move with one of them with children. Trying to escape the UK for a perceived better life especially to escape terrorists isn't a good reason. Australia has been put on High Alert for the first time in its history. Having said all that. We have thrived here we love it so if you do want to come then give it your all but it doesn't sound like you're very positive about it and again its not the best way to come.

Thanks for your advice, if we were to make the move I'd go with every positive thought in me, I'm just eager to make the right move not just for myself but my kids and future family generations, it's always a tough one whenever we discuss it.

Sometimes we''re out with friends n family n say we wouldn't get this if we moved but then winter sets in and we're stuck inside for 6 months and we're talking about it again! Maybe it will never go away unless we take the plunge

Thanks for your advice, if we were to make the move I'd go with every positive thought in me, I'm just eager to make the right move not just for myself but my kids and future family generations, it's always a tough one whenever we discuss it.

Sometimes we''re out with friends n family n say we wouldn't get this if we moved but then winter sets in and we're stuck inside for 6 months and we're talking about it again! Maybe it will never go away unless we take the plunge

Hi Chipvan!! As many on here will say don't let the weather be your motive! Saying that my hubby came home 4 years ago on a freezing Friday February night (he worked in London we lived in Yorkshire, he left Sunday night on the train and returned Friday night on the train, every week...) and said the famous words...he'd been approached about a job in OZ, it was so cold, we were so fed up with the separate lives, for us OZ was a chance to actually live in the same house 7 days a week!! So I told him to pursue it and I knew at that point it would happen, it did, 8 weeks later we were in OZ! For us, it's worked out, we are very happy, OZ gives us the life we didn't have in the UK, the weather is great but that wasn't the reason we came here. I think you've had some great advice, especially 'try before you buy' which is what we did by default, we rented out the UK home as the financial climate then gave us no choice but I'm glad it happened that way to be honest, it prevented us making silly knee jerk decisions in the first 6 months!!! Today, we became proud citizens, we are very happy, it's worked for us but I've seen it not work for others and I can understand why, it's not an easy option, and if it's all based on long UK winters, then I would say long hot Aussie summers can be equally as boring!!!! I wish you all the best though and if I can help in any way feel few to PM me xxxxxx

Hi There Chipvan! My Husband and I have been talking about moving to Oz for the past 11 years and finally this year decided to take the plunge! We have holidayed there and I have lived there as a child. We have two young children aged 8 yrs and 4 yrs. We have found it really hard discussing it with our family who we are very close to. They are devastated (in-laws and brothers & sisters!). It really is an emotional roller-coaster and it does make me think (sometimes) why would we leave behind our whole support network but we keep thinking if we don't try it we will always be wonder what if!? We don't want to stay in the UK and always regret it. We are thinking along the lines of we go for 2 years initially and rent our house out here so that if we did decide to come back we could. If we did come back at least the kids would have had a amazing experience and still be young enough to fit back into school and life here. I have a sneaky suspicion we will end up staying!! I hope you are able to decide how you feel about it! Nikki.

Great advice again thanks! That 'what ifs' a killer isn't it! We actually made a decision to go about 6 years ago but after seeing the devastation it caused our families, (both sides burst into tears) we cancelled, so we know the difficulties.

That seems a good idea to go with a 2 year plan, we'll give that a lot of thought.

Is there a general life feel good factor for us poms in oz? And what do people think about the future of the country for our kids and future gens?

Nah ignore the what ifs - if it ain't broke don't fix it is my motto! It's just another first world country with all the baggage that goes with it. I guess it all comes down to how much of a gambler you are - if you could happily see, say £40,000 go west on a whim then give it a go. I wouldn't be burning bridges tho - take a career break, don't sell the house and only move to a cast iron better option that you have now.

From what you have said I am not at all sure that your reasons for making such a move are strong enough to deal with the major fall out and upset. You say you have great friends and family in UK. Reckon that would reel you back in pretty quickly. Yes, it would be an adventure but a costly one financially and emotionally. I assume that you are eligible to apply for PR as that is quite important. The 457 might work though if you can find a sponsor and are not necessarily looking at a permanent move.

Hi Chipvan, good luck with your decision, it certainly is a tough one. For myself, we moved to NZ in 2006 for the adventure and the 'just couldn't resist' challenge. I loved NZ, and enjoyed my job which I had been recruited for in UK and which offered me and my partner permanent NZ residency, and thus eventual citizenship. My partner did not enjoy his job in NZ, and was on a paltry wage also. In 2013, we decided to move to Brisbane, whilst still retaining our home in NZ (we had managed to sell up in UK). For me, it has not been a good move... I hate my job here although am in the same line of work (although I do earn more). My partner now loves his job, and also earns more. I loved the draw of the weather, however in all honesty despite how much I hate to say so, it gets taken for granted after a while, and that' s after 15 months! One thing that I never knew, and that maybe would've changed my mind about going originally, is how hard it is to go back. I really hate my job here and so wish that I'd never left NZ, but it's nigh on impossible to get something to return. I have looked at going back to the UK also because I have not setted, but it is impossible to get something from here job wise to which to return. That's the thing - it's just so hard to go back. For me, I have elderly parents and siblings/nieces/nephews etc. My parents are too old to travel here so I make a point of a trip every 12 months. Can you afford to do that with the children or will family come out? I know that a lot of ex pats that I meet haven't been home in years, but if you are close to family you have to take this extra financial pressure into consideration. As an NZ citizen I don't get the same benefits as an Oz citizen, and although that doesn't really make any difference to me maybe it does psychologically so take that into consideration also visa wise. As well, if you are looking at moving forever, to put proper roots down to feel like you truly belong you can't beat buying your own home. That is something that made a huge difference to my settling in NZ, and probably a massive factor in my feeling unsettled here as I can't afford to do it here. I find house prices very expensive, although at 45 don't really want to put anything extra on a mortgage, you are probably younger and in a better position to. It's a bloody big bastard move, and even more so with children. I know families with kids that'd said it's the best thing ever for their kids, and I do think that kids have more freedom here for sure - lots more sports, of course outdoors stuff is so much easier. The family and friends is a biggie though. It's such a touch decision. Where do you live in the UK too? If you live in a nice area, you've gotta really think about whether it's worth it. I lived in a built up area on the outskirts of Manchester. I can't believe how much I loved our rural village in NZ, having never lived like that anywhere before. Where I rent in Brisbane there are very high house prices with no land - just like UK. I will be doing a set time here and returning to NZ, unfortunately I cannot make it work for me here financially to buy a house and therefore truly settle and feel like I am at home. I have been in Oz for 15 months now and feel no better settled really. The city of Brisbane is done very beautifully but for me I have just never felt a sense of belonging. It is hard to be somewhere where you are instantly recognisable as an outsider by your accent. I don't truly know how you can evaluate the decision, at the end of it you will just have to go by your heart and be prepared to live with it and most importantly be reconciled with it. Good luck. I know 'you'll always think' is a biggie, and I don't fundamentally regret that decision, but you have to realise it's not that easy always just to go back.

Hi, we're a family of four, daughter age 7 and son age 2, and we're undecided as to whether a move to oz is worth the obvious upheaval! My wife and I visited for a month pre kids and loved it, but we're not sure whether a move is better for us than staying in UK.

We have a good life over here with great friends and family but the thought of moving to oz is never far from our minds, now more than ever with all this Isis stuff going on and the British government's inability to see the danger on our doorstep.

Has anyone got any opinions on this either way, we would really appreciate your advice, thank you!

Other than you had a nice holiday here a few years ago, I am not reading many pull factors with you. That is what worries me, you just seem to want to get a better life. I think most people, even happy migrants, will say it is a different life rather than a better one. It is perhaps worth taking a step back and appreciating what you do have, write it down even, before you measure it against this "better life".

I prefer the climate here overall but not everybody does as Australia has a very harsh climate. I am glad I don't have those cold starts on winter mornings anymore, but I honestly don't remember being trapped in the house for six months. Are you sure that is true? Think about it again before you put that down as a reason to leave, I genuinely don't know anyone that doesn't leave the house for six months in winter. Most people just dress for the weather. When it is winter in UK I see all the Facebook pictures of people out enjoying the snow and everyone looks to be having an absolute ball.

I also would never recommend anyone moves because of a government. I think during our lives we will all be dissatisfied with the government. And to be honest, you really should see the shower here (both sides), they make Cameron, Milliband and Clegg look like the finest statesmen there ever were. It is embarrassing to even hear an Aussie politician speak.

Great advice again thanks! That 'what ifs' a killer isn't it! We actually made a decision to go about 6 years ago but after seeing the devastation it caused our families, (both sides burst into tears) we cancelled, so we know the difficulties.

That seems a good idea to go with a 2 year plan, we'll give that a lot of thought.

Is there a general life feel good factor for us poms in oz? And what do people think about the future of the country for our kids and future gens?

They will most likely have the same reaction again, perhaps worse as grandkids are now a factor.

If you are really wanting to migrate, a thick skin and a rather large sprinkle of selfishness is needed IMHO.

I don't see any feel good factor really, not where we are. But then I don't really mix or know many migrant Brits. I've gone more native (hubby is an Aussie). One or two that I do know won't say its all rosy and that life is fabulous here over the UK, thats for sure. They have their complaints same as the next man/woman. Win in some ways, lose in others. Its about how you as a person and family cope and deal with that.

The heat and baking sun can be just as bad as cold and miserable winter days. The sun is much stronger here, you can noticeably feel the difference when its on your skin. Depending where in Aus you are temps can vary as can the type of heat. Hot and humid, baking dry. Aus has them both and every kind of heat in between. It doesn't automatically mean you do more outside or have more fun. If you lead active lives in the UK, chances are you will here. If you don't, then you may well find you lead a similar sort of life here.

I don't know how you picture living in Aus to be but for most of us its the same day to day stuff as we had in the UK. Work, housework, shopping, kids stuff, chores, getting the car fixed... all that stuff. Sure we do different things sometimes on weekends or evenings but for the most part its still on a par to what we did in the UK. Lots of out and about but no open countryside and fields to wander. Have to head to the national parks or some such and its a very different feel. I prefer English countryside. We visit the beach but I get bored senseless there too long and once it hots up in the day, we head home. Its more an early morning or evening thing for us in the summer months.

I don't think Aus is magically better for anyone. Some love it, some don't. Some fall on their feet, others don't. A lot of how people settle here can be down to work falling in to place, making friends (can be tough going for many to do this with Aussies from reading on here it seems) and missing loved ones or just missing 'home'.

I'm happy here but then I was happy living in Germany, Netherlands and elsewhere before this. I don't miss the UK, nor do I really miss the people I left behind. I am one of those who can be more selfish when they migrate and able to live life without looking back or hankering too much. I'd be just as happy back in the UK though. Sure the winters are longer but as has been said, the hot summers can mean you spend a fair bit of time indoors or undercover. Overall, neither places wins over the other for me. Each has its positives and negatives. I work with them and focus on making our life a good one wherever we happen to be.

To come out here and make a go of it, you need to be a bit selfish. If leaving friends and family is playing on your mind already, you may feel unsettled and always be looking back to the UK. If you genuinely want to come out here and start a new life, the only way is to grab the bull by the horns and fully throw yourself in to it, without regrets or guilt. Best of luck whatever you decide, but make sure that it's YOUR decision - i.e. don't stay in the UK just to please others, they'll understand.

, I worry for the future of the UK for our kids,

What is it you are worried about? Children have been living in the UK quite happily for, well, for a very long time. What is it you think it going to change and what is it that you think will happen to children in the UK that wont happen to children in Australia?

If you're thinking that moving to Australia is going to give your kids and future generations "a better future", think again. I love Australia and there are many great things about it - but it is NOT better, it's just different. Most people in the UK have a vision of the land of milk and honey Australia used to be, but it's grown up and turned into an average country similar to everywhere else.

Thirty years ago when I arrived, and even ten years ago, Australia was a land of opportunity compared to the UK, offering a better lifestyle with more money in your pocket. The difference now is much more marginal. Once upon a time, you could arrive, find a nice place to stay in a week, and cherry-pick your jobs. Now, some migrants can take six months to get their first job, while exorbitant rents and high house and car prices drain their savings.

So there's no point coming to Australia if you're doing it to improve your children's future. The only reason to come to Oz these days - and it's a very good reason for some people - is to have an adventure, to explore new horizons and experience a different culture (yes it is different!).

However, for a family, moving could easily cost you $50,000 (air fares, moving belongings, temporary accommodation, setting up home again - just buying a car costs $30,000). If it doesn't work out, or it's a short-term visa, you'll be shelling out again to go home. That's an expensive adventure - and don't imagine you'll be earning so much more in Oz that you'll make up for it. You won't be. Salaries in Oz may look higher, but so are living costs in most states.

So, while you may hanker for blue skies, you need to ask yourself if they are worth such a large chunk of your savings (and possibly more, if it doesn't work out).

A great deal depends on what kind of lifestyle you want and what kind of job you do. If you've got a job that's in demand in Queensland, you love hot sticky weather and you don't mind dodgy conservative politicians, you can get cheaper housing there and the beach lifestyle Brits dream of (though it does get so hot that you may find yourself stuck indoors in the air conditioning more often than you expect!). Tasmania is another cheap housing spot, but jobs are hard to get and some Brits feel the climate is too much like home.

What is it you are worried about? Children have been living in the UK quite happily for, well, for a very long time. What is it you think it going to change and what is it that you think will happen to children in the UK that wont happen to children in Australia?

Have to agree with Pumpkin. If it's some sort of terrorist thing you're referring to, a terrorist attack is just as likely to happen here as in the UK. In fact Australia is on high alert right now, code red or orange or something. As with most of the other posts I would say "stay where you are".

I emigrated with my folks way back in 1970.Australia was alot different back then.Low crime,plenty of jobs,you could buy a nice house on one wage,alot of Mums stayed at home,and it really was the land of milk and honey,and when aussies reminded you of living in the lucky country,you believed them!lol Its still a good place but the world and Australia have changed.Kids are staying with their parents longer these days because many cannot afford to move out,lots of competition for jobs (My nephews partner works as a lecturer at a uni training teachers,and believe it or not,quite a few of these students head oversea's,usually the UK to obtain a teaching job!)Please think carefully before committing.What you dislike about the UK,you will find in Australia,and visa versa.You might be surprised to know,that my aussie kids actually spent more time outside when we moved to the UK!

Only do it if you can leave yourself the option of going back. We sold up everything and after the novelty wore off (and it does) it was just another job in another westernised country. We began to seriously miss family and friends.

Also unlike 15yrs ago, this is now a VERY expensive country. A lot of people are moving back to UK because the work isn't here anymore and its hard getting a foothold.

well guys, after reading all 3 pages, I was wondering why are you still downunder and what happened to you? why did you change your mind? what is so unbearable in OZ that makes UK better? did you want to move to OZ in the first place, what were your reasons back then? you must had one obviously...cause its quite an expensive adventure and a big move, especially if you're coming with the family.

Archived