Been a while

leanne1287

Hi fellow poms it's been a while. Thought I'd let you know where we're at. Last time I posted on here I was in a bad place desperate to home again. In fact it was the worst bout of homesickness I'd had. After much thought and reflection we came to the decision to stay, one because of finances we just wasn't in the position to just go. We had car loans, card ect. It's been tge best decision we made, we came out of the homesickness and actually feel the most settled we've been since getting here. The homesickness will always be there, but it dose get easier. The only way I can compare it is to losing someone you love it's a grieving process. There's days when you just don't know how to get through the day. Then the next it gets that little bit easier. So for all of you thinking of dropping everything and going home. Think long and hard make sure it's not an emotional decision, make sure it's what's best for you as a family. And that it's not the emotional tie that's pulling you back. I know from our one trip home since arriving here we changed but everyone around us still did the same old things, same jobs same old. We had moved on with our lives in a big way looked at things differently had a new positive outlook of live, and what we wanted from our lives. Good luck to the ones who go home, if your thinking about it make sure your going back for the right reasons. It's not for everyone.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi fellow poms it's been a while. Thought I'd let you know where we're at. Last time I posted on here I was in a bad place desperate to home again. In fact it was the worst bout of homesickness I'd had. After much thought and reflection we came to the decision to stay, one because of finances we just wasn't in the position to just go. We had car loans, card ect. It's been tge best decision we made, we came out of the homesickness and actually feel the most settled we've been since getting here. The homesickness will always be there, but it dose get easier. The only way I can compare it is to losing someone you love it's a grieving process. There's days when you just don't know how to get through the day. Then the next it gets that little bit easier. So for all of you thinking of dropping everything and going home. Think long and hard make sure it's not an emotional decision, make sure it's what's best for you as a family. And that it's not the emotional tie that's pulling you back. I know from our one trip home since arriving here we changed but everyone around us still did the same old things, same jobs same old. We had moved on with our lives in a big way looked at things differently had a new positive outlook of live, and what we wanted from our lives. Good luck to the ones who go home, if your thinking about it make sure your going back for the right reasons. It's not for everyone.

Sorry I don't buy that one, what did you expect people to be doing when you returned..? Maybe people are happy in their jobs, house and their local they visit. Why is it people find it odd that people are doing the same things...? If you take a close look at people's life in Australia don't you think their in the same old job, house, beach ,pub..?? What makes this place so different..? How many Australians go overseas to return to see family and friends doing the same old things..? This isn't Disneyland

Sorry I don't buy that one, what did you expect people to be doing when you returned..? Maybe people are happy in their jobs, house and their local they visit. Why is it people find it odd that people are doing the same things...? If you take a close look at people's life in Australia don't you think their in the same old job, house, beach ,pub..?? What makes this place so different..? How many Australians go overseas to return to see family and friends doing the same old things..? This isn't Disneyland

I think you are letting your own unhappiness and bitterness allow you to miss the point!?

What exactly did that "point" bring to the table? Nothing! The OP was expressing an opinion and not damning the people back in the UK. I feel that same. I feel that we have had the balls to do something major in our lives whilst our friends back in the UK are quite content in doing "the same old things". It does not make us or the OP better than them just different.

Mate, stop trying to make a positive post into a negative post just to fit your agenda.

What exactly did that "point" bring to the table? Nothing! The OP was expressing an opinion and not damning the people back in the UK. I feel that same. I feel that we have had the balls to do something major in our lives whilst our friends back in the UK are quite content in doing "the same old things". It does not make us or the OP better than them just different.

Mate, stop trying to make a positive post into a negative post just to fit your agenda.

No agenda at all.. You moved to another country and now yourself probably do " the same old things" . It's called living

Yeah but you kind of missed the point of the post and instead chose to highlight and pick on one sentence. Anyway, over and out!

The person is happy now, good for them but to write when I went back everybody was doing the same thing what did the person expect..? Whys it looked upon as a negative..? Hay wake up all your friends might be happy..?

Well I have to say that over the years we went back for extended visits ( 2-3 months mainly) many times . Like the OP we found that people really were in a rut ( a few exceptions of course) and really hadn't changed their lives in any way- still the same old prejudices, attitudes and small mindedness. We never go there now, don't want or need to. The OP has a point- and I agree with it.

I'm fully expecting that when I return to Aus in November (holiday only) all my friends will be doing exactly the same as they were doing 3 yrs ago when I left. A rut is a rut and most people live in them just in different sides of the world. I'm pleased that the OP has sorted where they want to be for now rather than agonizing about whether it was the right decision or not.

Well I have to say that over the years we went back for extended visits ( 2-3 months mainly) many times . Like the OP we found that people really were in a rut ( a few exceptions of course) and really hadn't changed their lives in any way- still the same old prejudices, attitudes and small mindedness. We never go there now, don't want or need to. The OP has a point- and I agree with it.

In who's eyes..???

Thanks for sharing that. Predictable that at least one person with an agenda would jump on it but I suspect there are all too many people who had the wobbles, worked through them, and came out the other side but don't come back and share. Those who decide to return are more likely to continue to frequent the site and that can distort the picture.

In who's eyes..???

Exactly. Life goes on. In both countries people wake up tired, cajole their kids to get ready for school, eat worthy cereals, curse the fact that they didn't iron that shirt the night before, or get the earlier train. Only the weather and the time zones are different.

Exactly. Life goes on. In both countries people wake up tired, cajole their kids to get ready for school, eat worthy cereals, curse the fact that they didn't iron that shirt the night before, or get the earlier train. Only the weather and the time zones are different.

Yes, let us all just agree that life is exactly the same in Oz and the UK - no need at all for PIO then.:confused:

Guest Guest 47403
The difference being....you can stay in one place being stuck in a rut....or you can try something new.

you never know unless you try.

Far to difficult for some they'd rather keep popping the anti depressants and wallow in self pity, than get off there arses and make changes!

To the OP probably the wrong area of the forum to post that you have got past those initial wobbles and have settled and dare I say it actually enjoy your life in OZ only doom and gloom allowed here.

Because you friends are happy with what they are doing, you have not got "balls" because you decided to live somewhere else, what do you mean "do something major in our lives"? now you have moved your life is the same things as your friends in the UK isn't it...same old.

Yes, let us all just agree that life is exactly the same in Oz and the UK - no need at all for PIO then.:confused:

Sorry, my sincere apologies for upsetting anyone who enjoys life in Australia more than they did in the UK. What I was clumsily trying to say was that I think the daily battles of life are similar in both countries are roughly similar. My apologies for posting something which implied that the UK was in any way equal to Australia. Apologies to all.

Sorry, my sincere apologies for upsetting anyone who enjoys life in Australia more than they did in the UK. What I was clumsily trying to say was that I think the daily battles of life are similar in both countries are roughly similar. My apologies for posting something which implied that the UK was in any way equal to Australia. Apologies to all.

No problem...we all know the UK is better than Oz.......:wink:

So glad to hear you are in a much better place....emotionally I mean, not suggesting Australia is better LOL :)

It absolutely is a grieving processes and I guess for us there was no good reason to stay in Australia so why put yourself through it - we stayed 5 years so I was absolutely certain it didn't offer us as a family a better life in the end and that was the decider. I wasn't unhappy and we could have just got on with it and would have still had a good life...I guess a bit like those that lose someone they love do.

I actually think there is nothing wrong in an emotional decision at all - it helped that for us that we were much better off financially in the UK too but we knew that would be the case when we migrated so wasn't why we returned and it was all about where we would be happiest.

For me the pursuit of happiness is my fundamental goal in life and the last 12 months have pretty much been the happiest of my life. It took moving to Australia to find out what the true source of happiness for me was so no regrets at all.

Archived