What does it take to make a REALLY successful British migrant in Australia?

Harpodom

I wouldn't say you are a fool at all. Definitely not.

If you don't try you will never know.

Australia is a great country for bringing up kids so I think you have done the right thing by staying here.

Happiness is a state of mind I think. Some people just become absolutely determined that they will never be happy and of course they aren't.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Australia is a great country for bringing up kids so I think you have done the right thing by staying here.

Happiness is a state of mind I think. Some people just become absolutely determined that they will never be happy and of course they aren't.

Give examples please

These days I don't think there are any particular areas that the British migrate to- certainly never identified any round here and i have been here many years. I think in the 1950s and possibly 60s that happened but not now, least not in Victoria. There are some groups which stay together ( thinking Vietnamese, some Italian people, some Chinese, Sudanese, Myanmar) but the British don't seem to be amongst them.

There's heaps in the Northern and Southern coastal corridors heading out of Perth. It's poms paradise, close to nice beaches, coastal living, good climate and still in driving distance of a major City. Two if you include Joondalup, it's still a small place compared to Perth but getting bigger all the time.

A great kids to bring up kids? I think not more than fair to average. As European and many Asian kids find on entering the education system here as being extremely un taxing. Then in places like Perth those with initiative to do better are often forced to leave to further career.

Happiness is a state of mind that can be ascertained most anywhere.

A great kids to bring up kids? I think not more than fair to average. As European and many Asian kids find on entering the education system here as being extremely un taxing. Then in places like Perth those with initiative to do better are often forced to leave to further career.

As a dad of 2 young kids, I can vouch for the fact that Australia is indeed a great place to bring up kids.

That said, so is the UK IMO.

I seriously do not meet that many Brits other than clients at work. My workmates are Aussies, my kids friends parents are Aussies, my sisters have married Aussies. So it's certainly not a question of limiting social contact, the only time I limited myself was avoiding the areas most migrants head towards - is that wrong do you think? I also don't think that's the reason I've never settled, I think I'm just one of the few who loves Australia but it's just not for me.

I rather prefer diverse areas. I don't mean Brit's in this case but most anywhere else. I find greater acceptance and tolerance on many levels. No not wrong obviously as we must find our own place. I can safely say I don't love Australia, but neither dislike it. Rather pretty much neutral but could easily relocate to another country.

There's heaps in the Northern and Southern coastal corridors heading out of Perth. It's poms paradise, close to nice beaches, coastal living, good climate and still in driving distance of a major City. Two if you include Joondalup, it's still a small place compared to Perth but getting bigger all the time.

In Australian terms.. Joodalup is a cruddy shopping center. Hardly a city

The onus being on young kids as is so often discussed. Both countries were fine by me.

Obviously I don't have a crystal ball but from what I see, Geelong at least offers lots of opportunities for teenagers too, money being an issue admittedly.

I'm firmly of the opinion that either country is fine too. Did you grow up in Aus flag?

These days I don't think there are any particular areas that the British migrate to- certainly never identified any round here and i have been here many years. I think in the 1950s and possibly 60s that happened but not now, least not in Victoria. There are some groups which stay together ( thinking Vietnamese, some Italian people, some Chinese, Sudanese, Myanmar) but the British don't seem to be amongst them.

I found this interesting:

http://www.realperthwa.com/blog/northern-beachside-suburbs-a-british-hub

"According to last year's census, the seven most English suburbs in Australia are all located along Perth's northern coastal strip.

The new suburb of Jindalee tops the list with 36.6 per cent, Mindarie has 27.3, Connolly 27, Burns Beach 26.9, Carramar 24 per cent, Butler 23.45 per cent and Tapping 22 per cent. When you add the Scots and Welsh into the mix, it's higher."

It's not as concentrated in Victoria but still noteworthy IMHO:

"The suburbs of Melbourne where UK-born migrants were most concentrated were found to the city’s south-east and along the Mornington Peninsula. These included Bangholme (20%) where one in five people was born in the UK, and the beach side suburbs of Mount Eliza (13%), Mornington (13%), Mount Martha (13%) and Safety Beach (12%) on the peninsula."

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/4102.0main+features102014

I found this interesting:

http://www.realperthwa.com/blog/northern-beachside-suburbs-a-british-hub

"According to last year's census, the seven most English suburbs in Australia are all located along Perth's northern coastal strip.

The new suburb of Jindalee tops the list with 36.6 per cent, Mindarie has 27.3, Connolly 27, Burns Beach 26.9, Carramar 24 per cent, Butler 23.45 per cent and Tapping 22 per cent. When you add the Scots and Welsh into the mix, it's higher."

It's not as concentrated in Victoria but still noteworthy IMHO:

"The suburbs of Melbourne where UK-born migrants were most concentrated were found to the city’s south-east and along the Mornington Peninsula. These included Bangholme (20%) where one in five people was born in the UK, and the beach side suburbs of Mount Eliza (13%), Mornington (13%), Mount Martha (13%) and Safety Beach (12%) on the peninsula."

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Lookup/4102.0main+

Northerners paradise ..!!!

You love trotting out that line don't you flag. Almost saying that the kids that stay in Perth and enjoy it more than other places must be thick or something. It's bullshit mate, there are just as many if not more opportunities for any just about any type of work and career. I know plenty with good degrees that have stayed here and are working in good jobs that are leading to great careers. There's also a great opportunity for kids that don't want to go to Uni with still a reasonable amount of apprenticeships around.

Having done an apprenticeship first when I left school and then a degree when I was in my 30's I can safely say, out the two of them the apprenticeship was harder and you had to be more dedicated. You had work 8-4 every day then 1 day for tech. and two night tech. classes. At Uni you can pick and choose whether you bother to attend or not. Wednesdays off for the sports day.

Our two went through school here and I believe it's as taxing as the kids want to make it. There are plenty of clever kids in the schools in Perth. The 3 decent Uni's we have here should give plenty of choice for the ones that want to go. If they can afford it that is, after this government hacks the education system to pieces.

In Australian terms.. Joodalup is a cruddy shopping center. Hardly a city

Soon to be the biggest shopping centre in the Southern Hemisphere so a bit more than cruddy. You're right though it's way off being a City. Doesn't matter really how big it is for the people that work there though.

Well your family being here may be the deciding factor. But a holiday is hardly an insight into longer term desirability.

True. But I have lived many different towns and countries and every single one has become "home". I seem to be lucky in that I've never suffered from home-sickness possibly for the reason I've just stated. And it's not because I have cut ties with the people and places I have lived. I keep in touch and sometimes visit. Granted that will happen rarely in future but many of my friends have plans to visit so I will still be in touch. I think I will be just fine.

I rather prefer diverse areas. I don't mean Brit's in this case but most anywhere else. I find greater acceptance and tolerance on many levels. No not wrong obviously as we must find our own place. I can safely say I don't love Australia, but neither dislike it. Rather pretty much neutral but could easily relocate to another country.

Not quite sure why I used the word "love", I think I meant "like" - I'm stuck at home with the flu so I reckon my brain's mush at the moment!

As a dad of 2 young kids, I can vouch for the fact that Australia is indeed a great place to bring up kids.

That said, so is the UK IMO.

Agreed, but when they reach teenage years I'm not so sure.