What does it take to make a REALLY successful British migrant in Australia?

Harpodom

On PIO there are LOADS of Aussies who go mental if you so much as slag off an aspect of govt policy EVEN if they fervently agree with your political standpoint!! There is definitely an issue IMO with *some* Australians and critical thinking: their inbred jingoism gets in the way. Pretty mediocre really

Completely agree Harpo. I think it's important to distinguish between criticisms of this current government and criticisms of Australia generally. They're not the same thing. I don't think it means that you love your country any less if you question or critique the actions of the people who are currently running it. In fact, I'd say it's an act of social responsibility do so. It might help keep the b*stards honest.

Well its clear many of you hate Australia. Not sure about you Winter.

But I've read a massive whinge fest on politics, work ethic, TV. anything and everything.

It does make me wonder why some don't Fit In or F**K Off as Harpo loves to keep saying ad nauseum.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well its clear many of you hate Australia. Not sure about you Winter.

But I've read a massive whinge fest on politics, work ethic, TV. anything and everything.

It does make me wonder why some don't Fit In or F**K Off as Harpo loves to keep saying ad nauseum.

Your nihilistic political viewpoint and inability to comment without resorting to the inevitable personal (and rather banal) comments are both pretty......'mediocre' in my opinion.

Your nihilistic political viewpoint and inability to comment without resorting to the inevitable personal (and rather banal) comments are both pretty......'mediocre' in my opinion.

If we were in the pub, we're long past the point where your friends would be telling you to shut-up and apologising to everyone in ear shot. "He gets like this; has had too much to drink"...

Guest Standardbred
Looking from the aspect of a fifteen year old possibly better wouldn't you think? The two German kids find the system here far less taxing and like it. The Korean according to parents doesn't find it challenging enough, but expect that is more the parents talking or being told what they want to hear.

I'm not a big fan of an over competitive system. Especially from what I hear of the Korean education system. Quite like the intellectual rigour of the German system though by and large. Also how the system how it streams students into different schools according to those with academic ability going into one stream and those of trades and related into another. It has its critics but makes sense.

By "system here" you mean the WA system? And there is streaming here but maybe not in WA?

Guest Standardbred
Well, in June this year I was taken aside by my so called teamlead and told to not "work so hard as I was making everybody else look bad"... I work in IT at a national bank.... My husband has been told the same thing. He works in IT at a University. So yes Aussies ARE different when it comes to careers in IT. They're not hungry. Not willing to do the hours and a job is a job for life whether you perform or not. Needless to say we're looking to go back to London in 2015....

As an IT worker hear for 20 years this is the dumbest post I've read on this froum and that's saying something!:rolleyes:

I also don't think that's the reason I've never settled, I think I'm just one of the few who loves Australia but it's just not for me.

I'm one of those who came temporarily (457) and then stayed a little too long due to kid's educational commitments. I've never really fitted in despite loving the flora and fauna, and not yet in a position to f@ck off. I hate the politics, but I also hate the politics in the UK - both countries let down by their lack of commitment to equality and distribution of wealth. TBH I think I was a little too old to come over (mid 40's) and too attached to the UK, even though I'd wanted to come to Oz for a while. I've worked at a number of places, and have been shocked by how some people here take the p1ss re: sick leave, general lack of professionalism, and a lack of (unchecked) integrity that can lead to practice that I consider unethical and sometimes fraudulent. But there have been a few very professional work places (including one bank in Brissie and my current consultancy outfit) Also there is nothing mediocre about the state school my son goes to - IB school for high achievers in Brisbane - they get astonishing results.

Im British and 36 and dont qualify for a work visa as Im too old... Can anyway suggest others ways of qualifying for a work visa.. Im new to these forums..:)... I went to Sydney for 2 months recently .. Now Im back in sunny Greece...i thought Sydney was ok but they told me that id probably like Melbourne more? Need advice.. Thankuuuu

Im British and 36 and dont qualify for a work visa as Im too old... Can anyway suggest others ways of qualifying for a work visa.. Im new to these forums..:)... I went to Sydney for 2 months recently .. Now Im back in sunny Greece...i thought Sydney was ok but they told me that id probably like Melbourne more? Need advice.. Thankuuuu

Wrong thread, but from what I know 50 is the cut off age for Skilled visa. Work sponsored visa I'm not sure, but it should be up to at least 50. Google 189 visa or 190 and see if your skills and experience match either.

To any Australians offended by my mediocrity comments, I want to temper them by saying there are loads of totally (IMO) 'unmediocre' people and things in Australia. This weekend's Marches against the Abbott government is a good example: a very diverse group of people from backgrounds such as education, science, religion, old grannies, students, mums and dads and their kids...all united in protest at what they see as an attack on Australia's 'fair go' culture.

Another great example is the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Australia's largest asylum seeker organisation which provides advocacy, welfare support, health care, even food and clothing to asylum seekers. All done without ANY government support.

There are loads of examples like that: that is the Australia I relate to and want my kids to relate to.

As an IT worker hear for 20 years this is the dumbest post I've read on this froum and that's saying something!:rolleyes:

Oh, sorry that I stepped on your little toe.... but the truth hurts. "IT worker" I presume. My dad thinks he is one too since he can type using both hands nowadays... :cool:

Oh, sorry that I stepped on your little toe.... but the truth hurts. "IT worker" I presume. My dad thinks he is one too since he can type using both hands nowadays... :cool:

Such anger... Sorry it didn't work out for you here.

Well, in June this year I was taken aside by my so called teamlead and told to not "work so hard as I was making everybody else look bad"... I work in IT at a national bank.... My husband has been told the same thing. He works in IT at a University. So yes Aussies ARE different when it comes to careers in IT. They're not hungry. Not willing to do the hours and a job is a job for life whether you perform or not. Needless to say we're looking to go back to London in 2015....

The translation of the highlighted comment is usually - please take more care with the quality of your work.

Fifo Prostitute ..?

I would say a successful migrant is one who has a job/satisfaction, gained citizenship and is ok emotionally. I don't believe you have to be very happy to be a successful migrant.
I was going to answer along the same lines....I would think a successful migrant needs to be not too homesick and financially secure. ...? I think the rest can probably be sorted but I'm guessing as I've never done it

To any Australians offended by my mediocrity comments, I want to temper them by saying there are loads of totally (IMO) 'unmediocre' people and things in Australia. This weekend's Marches against the Abbott government is a good example: a very diverse group of people from backgrounds such as education, science, religion, old grannies, students, mums and dads and their kids...all united in protest at what they see as an attack on Australia's 'fair go' culture.

Another great example is the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, Australia's largest asylum seeker organisation which provides advocacy, welfare support, health care, even food and clothing to asylum seekers. All done without ANY government support.

There are loads of examples like that: that is the Australia I relate to and want my kids to relate to.

I saw the demonstration in Sydney today. Big deal. Democracy haters using their democratic freedom to demonstrate against the very thing that allows them to demonstrate. A few hundred Abbott haters, trying to disrupt the thousands of people shopping and sightseeing, and wasting a few thousand dollars worth of police time..

As soon as I saw the bloke wearing a T shirt emblazoned with 'F*** Tony Abbott' I lost any degree of sympathy I might have had for their aims.

:biglaugh:Yep, that's precisely the sort of mediocrity I was referring to:

I saw the demonstration in Sydney today. Big deal. Democracy haters using their democratic freedom to demonstrate against the very thing that allows them to demonstrate. A few hundred Abbott haters, trying to disrupt the thousands of people shopping and sightseeing, and wasting a few thousand dollars worth of police time..

As soon as I saw the bloke wearing a T shirt emblazoned with 'F*** Tony Abbott' I lost any degree of sympathy I might have had for their aims.

Guest Standardbred

Your "truth", nobody else's. The quicker you skedaddle the better!

Some people are willing to give their time for the rest of us by going to these rallies, yes you will get all sorts there but that is what society is like. My daughter gave up her Sunday afternoon to go as she believes in education and health for all of us. I did not go but I am in awe of those who do.

Archived