Any Poms at Sunshine Coast who want to go back to UK?

fizzybangs

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No seriously Fifi if it'd talk back we'd sit talking to it

I dunno if it' strictly an Irish thing, when I holidayed in Australia I found most people to be quite friendly. But it could just be me also but many a times I've gotten talking to complete strangers in public. On the bus, in cafes. Old, young, whatever. We just like talking I suppose. There's a funny thing about how the Irish colonise country in such sneaky ways that the bottom line comes down to we just keep talking

I will talk to anyone as long as they're not horrible to me

Guessing you must be one of those unapproachable sorts then..............bit of a British trait eh!

Not at all, Brits are well known worldwide to be friendly happy people who love a good time and a good chat to anyone over a pint, did you find that not many people talked to you in the UK ?

Guest Guest 47403
Not at all, Brits are well known worldwide to be friendly happy people who love a good time and a good chat to anyone over a pint, did you find that not many people talked to you in the UK ?

I think because of all the crime and stuff in the UK we get a little suspicious of folk, some scumbag robbed my granny in Handsworth once talked his way in left her black and blue, most younger British are a bit more street wise so untrusting of strangers.

I think because of all the crime and stuff in the UK we get a little suspicious of folk, some scumbag robbed my granny in Handsworth once talked his way in left her black and blue, most younger British are a bit more street wise so untrusting of strangers.

Pity there is more crime and murders percentage of the population where you are now.

Guest Guest 47403
Pity there is more crime and murders percentage of the population where you are now.

No theres not what a silly thing to say :laugh:

No theres not what a silly thing to say :laugh:

Sorry baz but there is, more murders in Oz than the UK.

List of countries by intentional homicide rate per year per 100,000 inhabitants

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

crime rates.

http://www.numbeo.com/crime/rankings_by_country.jsp

Edited by Perthbum

Guest Guest 47403
Take your rose tints off Baz PB's right.

No rose tints here according to pb's link there .65 in it wow I'll move back to the UK if thats the case :wub:

Oh it was wonderful! Complete strangers would strike up conversations every time i went out, got invited to so many places and everyone smiled! We were in Paignton, a kind of slightly tatty, wonderfully happy holiday town so expect it makes a difference where you live. I always came back smiling. The quick humour with complete strangers awed me too.

I think I am the problem! I have to stay until July next year and don't want to, so my freedom of choice is curtailed. Perhaps I am even slightly depressed but don't think so as my OH is struggling too and he's not depressed. I have never been like this in my life but after 32 years we only have two friends who are Australian and only one of those I could really count on. So our friends are mainly from Britain or New Zealand as we find it just easier to communicate, particularly with humour. I am also over beaches so we keep driving inland to see some green. I have seen practically every beach around Australia and have lived by the beach for years and I can't get the magic back that I used to feel. I am a person who likes to keep busy and keep moving forward so a laid back, almost stop, lifestyle is not my scene and I'd rather be exploring new places. I do love the hinterland here though. I am joining groups and trying to find other Poms so who knows, with a bit of friendly banter I might feel a lot better!

You Need to Stop looking for other whingeing poms,and make some Aussie friends ,Our closest friends are Aussie's,the salt of the earth.you need to get over it.Reading the comments on here that The sunshine coast is the closest place to paradise.Well pommy land is the closest place to hell.Everyone i have talked to since we came back to the UK wants to leave.Now that Zero hours has been introduced.The workers here have no chance,the Tories have everyone by the balls There's no strong Unions.The Brits won't do anything for themselves.You will be suprized what is going on here,it's just not about the crac down the pub with your mates.It's ALL about the System in the UK..If Scotland votes for independence it will be the end of England.The Tories ruined this country the last time they were in office,This time they will finish it off.Britain is being taken over by Islam,and they are doing nothing about it.2-3000 British Muslim jihardies are fighting in Iraq.The Tories are letting them come back to the Uk.The home secretary says they have commited no crime in the UK.If anyone wants to bring their kids back here,from Australia IS MAD.since 2010 117 Islamic only schools have opened,they speak no English and teach no English.The Tories turn a blind eye.Hundreds of thousands of Muslims are pouring into Britain p/a.Cameron is trying to get Turkey into the EU club,and has welcomed Muslim Turks to come to Britain.Can't wait to get back to Aus and SANITY.

You Need to Stop looking for other whingeing poms,and make some Aussie friends ,Our closest friends are Aussie's,the salt of the earth.you need to get over it.Reading the comments on here that The sunshine coast is the closest place to paradise.Well pommy land is the closest place to hell.Everyone i have talked to since we came back to the UK wants to leave.Now that Zero hours has been introduced.The workers here have no chance,the Tories have everyone by the balls There's no strong Unions.The Brits won't do anything for themselves.You will be suprized what is going on here,it's just not about the crac down the pub with your mates.It's ALL about the System in the UK..If Scotland votes for independence it will be the end of England.The Tories ruined this country the last time they were in office,This time they will finish it off.Britain is being taken over by Islam,and they are doing nothing about it.2-3000 British Muslim jihardies are fighting in Iraq.The Tories are letting them come back to the Uk.The home secretary says they have commited no crime in the UK.If anyone wants to bring their kids back here,from Australia IS MAD.since 2010 117 Islamic only schools have opened,they speak no English and teach no English.The Tories turn a blind eye.Hundreds of thousands of Muslims are pouring into Britain p/a.Cameron is trying to get Turkey into the EU club,and has welcomed Muslim Turks to come to Britain.Can't wait to get back to Aus and SANITY.

:biglaugh:

According to the last Office of National Statistics Census, 33.2 million people (that’s 59.3 per cent of the population) describe themselves as Christian with 2.7 million people (4.8 per cent of the population) describing themselves as Muslim – a change in the demographics maybe but not the described 'take over’ of Britain.

And as a parent I am more than happy with the rounded education my child is receiving. If I have any complaints it would be to question the modular approach to exams, as the need for constant revision seems relentless. But like most things, where you live within the UK will influence the education your child receives, particularly as education is a devolved matter for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

As for a land full of people unwilling to do anything for themselves, a few years ago the London Olympic committee received 240,000 applications for 70,000 unpaid gamesmaker roles at the 2012 Olympics – thousands upon thousands of amazing people all happy to give up their time to make the event a success. And millions of pounds are regularly raised by BBC Children in Need and Comic Relief as ordinary caring people put their hand in their pocket or put themselves out to raise money for a worthy cause. Maybe not quite the context of the original quote, but hardly a nation of brow beaten boring whingers either.

Aus and the UK are both first world countries with economies that ebb and flow. Where people prefer to live will depend on a lot of things but mostly will come down to individual preference. Still, for any one considering a MBTTUK I would just add that a lot of people are happy to live here, me included. Tx

Did you not know about the Australians fighting in Syria ...?? Only last week on the news was a picture of a family from Australia standing there with machine guns, knifes and a severed head .!! Sorry to disappoint , it happens everywhere

Just asking because I am here at the moment and bored witless! We went back to UK for a year but had to return as one of our kids had a heart attack and are now living around the corner from my duaghter. Have lived in Brisbane and Gold .coast before with no problem but perhaps because I find myself homesick for the UK I have a different attitude now and miss the UK humour so much and the ease of chatting to complete strangers there. I am losing me again!

I do hope it gets better for you, homesickness is lousy! I really get what you're saying about UK humour though expect lots will disagree with me! Always found that Aussies tend to laugh at you rather than with you and never very good at laughing at themselves either, they also seem to be quite a serious bunch too. Maybe on really difficult days sit down with a bottle of wine and DVD of Fawlty Towers or whatever else makes you laugh and look forward to your next trip back!

So everyone you spoke to in the UK apparently wants to leave?Can I ask where you came from?

Just asking because I am here at the moment and bored witless! We went back to UK for a year but had to return as one of our kids had a heart attack and are now living around the corner from my duaghter. Have lived in Brisbane and Gold .coast before with no problem but perhaps because I find myself homesick for the UK I have a different attitude now and miss the UK humour so much and the ease of chatting to complete strangers there. I am losing me again!

I think I am the problem! I have to stay until July next year and don't want to, so my freedom of choice is curtailed. Perhaps I am even slightly depressed but don't think so as my OH is struggling too and he's not depressed. I have never been like this in my life but after 32 years we only have two friends who are Australian and only one of those I could really count on. So our friends are mainly from Britain or New Zealand as we find it just easier to communicate, particularly with humour. I am also over beaches so we keep driving inland to see some green. I have seen practically every beach around Australia and have lived by the beach for years and I can't get the magic back that I used to feel. I am a person who likes to keep busy and keep moving forward so a laid back, almost stop, lifestyle is not my scene and I'd rather be exploring new places. I do love the hinterland here though. I am joining groups and trying to find other Poms so who knows, with a bit of friendly banter I might feel a lot better!

Sorry to hear your daughter had a heart attack but why do you have to stay in Aust until July next year when you don't want to?

Over the years several of my employees have had heart attacks and with the exception of one who died all have been back at work within a couple of months - hence my confusion as to why you feel stuck here until July next year.

That actually made me laugh Zack. Oh dear. But...I didn't come back from UK until this year so I know what it is like to live in UK and I read all the English newspapers on line every day so I do know what is happening. I met 3 people in Paignton who had all lived in Australia for several years and returned to Paignton and none of them asked why I had returned! No, England won't die without Scotland, it will adapt. And perhaps you might not have imagined that perhaps the moderate Muslims might prefer to get awayfrom the violence in their own countries. Just a thought. Anyway, you obviously want to live in a foreign land just as they do. So are you coming back to Oz? Will Oz allow you to or will you need to apply for visa again?

I do hope it gets better for you, homesickness is lousy! I really get what you're saying about UK humour though expect lots will disagree with me! Always found that Aussies tend to laugh at you rather than with you and never very good at laughing at themselves either, they also seem to be quite a serious bunch too. Maybe on really difficult days sit down with a bottle of wine and DVD of Fawlty Towers or whatever else makes you laugh and look forward to your next trip back!

Thanks Katie and next move back will be permanent! There is a huge difference between being a mate here and being a true friend. Years ago I read an item from a young Danish guy here in Oz and he said that Brits can appear hard on the outside but in reality they are soft (meaning kind, loving and true) on the inside whereas Ozzie's are very soft (outwardly very friendly) but hard inside. To become a true friend you have to climb over an invisible wall. Not true for everyone of course but it made a lot of sense to me.

Freckleface my son had the heart attack but it was following a period of depression which I think we have worked through now. My daughter also needed me after a relationship breakdown and my kids Dad (I'm divorced and remarried) was also rushed to hospital at Christmas where he had to be resuscitated three times due to failing heart, kidneys and liver. He has rallied but it is a matter of time and we are in a rental so have a lease. Our return date is estimated! Could change but hope not. I have promised my kids I will stay around until then. Also, my best friend has multiple myeloma, also diagnosed around Christmas and her treatment finishes January when she hopes to be moving to NSW from Tassie and where we will spend some time with her on visits. Our stuff is in storage in UK.

What a difference time makes eh. I remember well your vitriol a while back when you couldn't waitto leave Oz...............I only hope this time round it doesn't come back to bite you on the @ARSe or at least Oz doesn't, although in my book you well deserve it if it does

"What gets up my nose,is how can there be be so many Obnoxious people in one place? Aussies Bragging and boasting 24/7 how wonderful Australia is,the lucky country,the Aussie spirit,the community spirit.The most resilient people in the world.Talk about a brain washed country?i haven't seen any yet.Unless it means bad manners,loud thumping music from nieghbours,hoons trying to run you off the road, or the odd road rage every day, or the murders every day.Theres more people killed in Australia,p/m than troops killed in Afganistan P/M.And theres only 14 million people that work in Australia.We live in the third world part of Australia,rural Qld,most have no clean drinking water,no real sewerage,no reliable internet,no relaiable TV reception,or mobile phone,no decent roads,no up to date hospital.And the worst trained doctors from overseas.And we pay more rate P/a than Toowoomba the Qld government grades doctors.The best ones go to practices in the city,next best to the suburbs, the rest go rural.When i say rural i mean 20 min, drive out of a big town or city.In the last six months Australia has found a cure for every known cancer but it won't be ready for 20 years ,Australia has a world first at something,everyother day.The 2nd best place to live in the world,the youngest and most beautiful women in the world,the best surgeons in the world,it goes on and on,now the latest Australia has come 10th best place in the world to have a baby.Something went wrong there."

I wonder if you'll ever be happy anywhere