Things to do during a trip to Perth

M1cha3la

So I am trying to make a plan of things to do during our reccie to see the widest range of what Perth has to offer.. We love city life, we love country life so want a mix of both. We have 8 days. So far my list is looking like:

Perth city itself, just a wander around to get a feel.

Kings park.

A drive around the surrounding suburbs

Fremantle/ rottenest island

Bells rapids

Perth Zoo

Wine tour (get too see all the hills, based on googling Feral brewery)

need to eat at core cidre and alfreds kitchen..

Not Perth but Ningaloo Reef and Lucky bay look amazing, but doubt we will make it that far out in 8 days...

Can anyone else think of any "must do's" while in Perth?

Edited by M1cha3la

So I am trying to make a plan of things to do during our reccie to see the widest range of what Perth has to offer.. We love city life, we love country life so want a mix of both. We have 8 days. So far my list is looking like:

Kings park.

Bells rapids

Perth Zoo

Not Perth but Ningaloo Reef and Lucky bay look amazing, but doubt we will make it that far out in 8 days...

What time of year are you coming over Micheala?

You've got some great suggestions there Michaela.

Only just woke up, but off the top off my head...

Point Walter in Melville....my fav river spot. Drive there, grab a coffee and just sit and watch Perth families having fun.

Cottesloe beach, of course the beach is great, but take a walk along the top too, stunning views and some nice places for something to eat.

Beaufort Street...some good shopping.

Freemantle arts centre...depending on what time of year, a free Sunday afternoon lazing on the lawns listening to a band.

Claisbrook Cove...lovely spot for a walk and a bit of refreshment.

The Hills area, ie Kalamunda, Mundaring etc...A totally different vibe to the hustle and bustle of the city.

Rockingham Foreshore.....a lovely spot on a summers day.

Hillarys...some shopping, some eating and drinking, all with lovely views.

Applecross...a drive along the foreshore, taking in the views and the houses. Finish off in Raffles.

Mandurah...take a canal trip.

Ahh....the list could go. Enjoy your time in gorgeous Perth.

You've got some great suggestions there Michaela.

Only just woke up, but off the top off my head...

Point Walter in Melville....my fav river spot. Drive there, grab a coffee and just sit and watch Perth families having fun.

Cottesloe beach, of course the beach is great, but take a walk along the top too, stunning views and some nice places for something to eat.

Beaufort Street...some good shopping.

Freemantle arts centre...depending on what time of year, a free Sunday afternoon lazing on the lawns listening to a band.

Claisbrook Cove...lovely spot for a walk and a bit of refreshment.

The Hills area, ie Kalamunda, Mundaring etc...A totally different vibe to the hustle and bustle of the city.

Rockingham Foreshore.....a lovely spot on a summers day.

Hillarys...some shopping, some eating and drinking, all with lovely views.

Applecross...a drive along the foreshore, taking in the views and the houses. Finish off in Raffles.

Mandurah...take a canal trip.

Ahh....the list could go. Enjoy your time in gorgeous Perth.

Decent list there Fifi.

Definitly come to Claisbrook Cove Michaela and try the Royal on the Waterfront. And definitly do the dolphin cruise at !amndurah, it's about an hour out of the city. You were asking about restaurants in Vic Park the other week, there's one you should definitly swerve past, can't think of the name but I'll get back to you, Cinnamon is a decent Indians, The Balmoral does a decent pub meal and they have live music on some nights. You'll get a good breakfast at the Dome, I prefer the one at the far end, nearest the city, it has seats around the side, good on a sunny day and for people watching. Sassys on The Swan is lovely for breakfast or lunch on a sunny day and they have a good menu. That's on a Riverside Drive, my favourite road in Perth, and just past there is the Lucky Shag also good on a sunny day!

ETA, have a wander along the riverside at South Perth, its lovey. The Boat Shed restaurant is good and there's a nice cafe at the side of it :)

Edited by Lindor

So I am trying to make a plan of things to do during our reccie to see the widest range of what Perth has to offer.. We love city life, we love country life so want a mix of both. We have 8 days.

Why are you visiting? Is it a recce to see if you'd like to live there? Remember, if you get your visa then you'll have plenty of time to visit all those touristy places later.

Visiting Perth and doing all the fun things just feeds your fantasies, it's not helping you get ready for your move. If it's a research trip, you need to treat it like one!

Driving around the suburbs gives you no idea which ones you can afford. What's the point of going home thinking, "I like .... , we'll live there", when you don't know whether it's achievable? House prices in Australia are expensive. Don't trust what you see on the internet - houses are often smaller or in poorer condition than they look. You need to actually visit some houses for sale in the suburbs you like. If I was on a recce I'd be spending three or four days scoping out housing.

Visit a supermarket and some department stores and check out the prices. Go to the kind of restaurants you're likely to visit when you live there. Are they affordable? What kind of night life do you enjoy? Can you find it in Perth?

What hobbies do you have? Visit the places where you will do those hobbies (for instance, if you ballroom dance, find a couple of dance schools and try out their classes - if you play golf, don't just look at a golf club, play a round and check out the clubhouse).

Edited by Marisawright

What time of year are you coming over Micheala?

It depends a bit on when you are coming. If it's now - winter - then factor in it might be wet and things like Rottnest might not be possible.

If it is summer, then Adventure world is a good bit of fun.

Mandurah is a nice one to see the dolphins.

We are coming over in September. Would love to see the dolphins :cute:

Edited by M1cha3la

Kings park.

Bells rapids

Perth Zoo

You're struggle there, perths no bigger than a big country town. Want city life..? Melbourne or Sydney will suite

Why are you visiting? Is it a recce to see if you'd like to live there? Remember, if you get your visa then you'll have plenty of time to visit all those touristy places later.

Visiting Perth and doing all the fun things just feeds your fantasies, it's not helping you get ready for your move. If it's a research trip, you need to treat it like one!

Driving around the suburbs gives you no idea which ones you can afford. What's the point of going home thinking, "I like .... , we'll live there", when you don't know whether it's achievable? House prices in Australia are expensive. Don't trust what you see on the internet - houses are often smaller or in poorer condition than they look. You need to actually visit some houses for sale in the suburbs you like. If I was on a recce I'd be spending three or four days scoping out housing.

Visit a supermarket and some department stores and check out the prices. Go to the kind of restaurants you're likely to visit when you live there. Are they affordable? What kind of night life do you enjoy? Can you find it in Perth?

What hobbies do you have? Visit the places where you will do those hobbies (for instance, if you ballroom dance, find a couple of dance schools and try out their classes - if you play golf, don't just look at a golf club, play a round and check out the clubhouse).

We are coming purely for a visa validation trip. As I have mentioned a few times before (so wont go into full detail, do not want to bore everyone with repetition :laugh:) we are not looking to do a full "reccie".

As we have never been to Perth before we will drive around the suburbs to get a feel ect, but there is absolutely no point in looking at houses or even focusing in on specific suburbs when we have no intention of buying for at least 18 months. The market could be completely different by then and like you say sods law would dictate that I will love something now that may not be viable in 18 months.

We have rented an apartment for the trip, so will have to go food shopping ect, so will get a feel for the set up of shops.. No doubt we will have a walk round all the other types of shops, not that DH knows it yet :wink: We are lucky as when we actually move DH's work will put us in a serviced apartment until our container arrives and I am shipping absolutely everything, so the need to price up say furniture is not there. But even if it was, it costs what it costs and we would pay what we pay. Its not really a problem/factor.

So we are focusing on things that we like to do for pleasure. We are sad and don't have hobbies per se, but the list is building around things we like to do and would do in our spare time (seems to be eating and drinking, what does that say :laugh:) we are realistic though and can define between the glamour of a holiday and the reality of day to day living. I have migrated before so have seen people fail because they believe life will be like it is on holiday. We are not those people.

perth may be a " city " on paper and in australian terms , but coming from the uk it's not.

Its just down to peoples interpretations of cities. I literally grew up in Emmerdale my idea of a city is Lancaster :laugh: Big cities like Birmingham and London scare me.. Great for a weekend break but not to live (for me anyway). Melbourne and Sydney are definitely on our list for a visit once we live in Oz though :wubclub:

perth may be a " city " on paper and in australian terms , but coming from the uk it's not.

I don't know what your problem is, but this was a post by someone coming to Perth to validate their visa and asking for some advice, how or why it gets hijacked is beyond me.

Perhaps you and the other poster should PM each other.

Try Heirisson island for the kangaroos and lovely views down the river.

Lindor mentioned the lucky Shag and it does wonderful fish and chips but get there early if you want a table outside (wonderful views again) as it's really popular

When shopping in town go down the little alleyways between the main streets. There are some lovely shops

Fremantle is a must. It's more laid back than Perth and has market stalls on certain days (can't remember when but someone else may be able to supply)

the walk along the river between Heirisson island and Bells tower which is beside the Lucky Shag is beautiful. Keep your eyes out for the lorikeets in the trees