Best airport to keep kids entertained during 4+ hour stopover

We are travelling back home to Adelaide later this year and while we are still waiting for the visa approval to come through (7 1/2 months - not that I am counting or anything :wink:) I am doing some investigating in relation to flights and prices and the best airports when you are travelling with kids.

My partner and I have both agreed that we dont want to do the land and dash stopovers so we will be having a few hours (probably ranging from 4 to 6 hours at the most) in the transit airport.

We have travelled through Changi (Singapore) a few times and the last time we did it with our daughter when she was 8 months old. It was adequate for what we needed at the time (given she wasnt that active and slept in the complimentary buggy for most of the time) so we didnt do much in the way of exploring to see what else was on offer. This time, however will be different as we will have two kids - our daughter will be almost 3 and our son will be around 20 months at the time of travelling (around early Sept).

I guess I am after some advice from people who have travelled with young kids of a similar age and what airport they thought had good child friendly areas (complimentary buggies available?), good changing facilities and was good for keeping the kids entertained for a few hours to give mum and dad some peace and quiet but also to wear them out running around before doing the final leg of our journey.

I have looked at flights which take us through Changi, Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) or Dubai. Any recommendations/suggestions or horror stories of places we should definitely go to or avoid?

Cheers

Amanda

Guest Outoftheblue

DXB is really nice, visited Dubai last yr and yr before, but didn't have a stop over, plenty of shops, places to eat, don't remember seeing much kids entertainment but wasn't really looking.

Hong Kong had a designated kids area - if it's still there but wasn't verily impressed as it was only in local language and I think I def preferred Changi

Changi airport wins hands down. Swimming pool on the hotel roof for starters. Son loves a dip between flights. Also good soft play areas for them to use. Plus cinema, outdoor gardens and more. Throw in the sky train to get between terminals, makes it quick and easy to get around. Would not stop over anywhere else with kids, especially younger ones.

Yep agree Singapore every time - the children's play areas, the butterfly garden, cinema and free sighseeing tours (if you are there long enough) are great. We transited in Dubai when my son was 6 and it was just awful, we only had a couple of hours there and didn't plan on spending any money so had no currency, my son was thirsty and we asked Emirates staff (who we were flying with) if they could get him some water and they refused saying we had to buy it.

KL is okay - the lounge is very affordable , my son was a bit older when we transited there and he was kept amused with the free internet terminals - the showers, food/drink etc. provided are pretty good but no where near as much to do as Singapore.

We are travelling back home to Adelaide later this year and while we are still waiting for the visa approval to come through (7 1/2 months - not that I am counting or anything :wink:) I am doing some investigating in relation to flights and prices and the best airports when you are travelling with kids.

My partner and I have both agreed that we dont want to do the land and dash stopovers so we will be having a few hours (probably ranging from 4 to 6 hours at the most) in the transit airport.

We have travelled through Changi (Singapore) a few times and the last time we did it with our daughter when she was 8 months old. It was adequate for what we needed at the time (given she wasnt that active and slept in the complimentary buggy for most of the time) so we didnt do much in the way of exploring to see what else was on offer. This time, however will be different as we will have two kids - our daughter will be almost 3 and our son will be around 20 months at the time of travelling (around early Sept).

I guess I am after some advice from people who have travelled with young kids of a similar age and what airport they thought had good child friendly areas (complimentary buggies available?), good changing facilities and was good for keeping the kids entertained for a few hours to give mum and dad some peace and quiet but also to wear them out running around before doing the final leg of our journey.

I have looked at flights which take us through Changi, Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) or Dubai. Any recommendations/suggestions or horror stories of places we should definitely go to or avoid?

Cheers

Amanda

I know it's not on your list but avoid Abu Dhabi if it's suggested to you, it's normally packed and not what you would expect for such a wealthy city. Also crap for kids.

I live in KL so travel through KLIA frequently and have been to all of the hubs with various trips. I have 2 young kids and personally I prefer quieter airports to the busy ones. Dubai for me is a headache as there are so many people there and the walks to the gates can be long. However, you can get pushchairs in transit no problem and I would happily transit there again if the prices were competitive. I actually really like Abu Dhabi and I have nothing but praise for Ethiad who also have a nanny service on the flight in case you need a hand while you pop to the toilet etc. They were brilliant with my kids on the last flight I did in November and I plan to fly with them again soon. There is only a small play area for kids but its so nice and quiet if you have some toys I think it would be fine. KLIA's hotel has a good reputation but I have never had the need to use it. There isn't much for kids to do in the airport terminal but we always pass the time ok before flights having a walkabout and sit in a cafe. It's fairly quiet there. Personally I am not a fan of Malaysia Airlines but they are generally better when you are flying with kids. Singapore has it all but it is busy.... When we finally make it to Aus I will probably look for flights via KL or Dubai just because I have friends there and will make it a stopover for a night or two. Why not do that? It would make it easier on you and the kids and give you a chance for a mini holiday!

FWIW here are a couple of pics from Changi.

Pool at night, it was about 7pm, hot and humid, about 32C outside and the pool was lovely. It didn't stay empty for long but nor was it a bunfight. During our 2 hours there it had at most 10 people in it max. It was fab being in the pool, planes taking off and landing around us. Our son loved it and didn't want to get out.

Then we showered, got something to eat and headed to the nearby soft play. Son played happily for another hour or two with the kids there and then we headed off to catch the connecting flight. There are soft plays in all the terminals, this is all in T1 iirc and easy to find. The sky train made getting from T3 to T1 easy as anything, there within a few minutes then down to the end to the pool.

Here is a link to the kids stuff available at Changi (and its good for the parents too ;) )

http://www.changiairport.com/in-transit/fun-for-the-kids

pool.jpg

play.jpg

pool.jpg

play.jpg

Our young ones are older, but I think the dearth of activity in airports is more likely to get to the adults than the children. We transited through SGN earlier this year and there is almost nothing to do but sit at the gate. The kids did this quite happily with their iPods and iPads; time hung heaviest for me and my wife.

If you go through BKK, the airport hotel (outside the airport) has a pool and although the rooms are expensive at over $100 a go, a single room with access to the pool probably compares favourably to lounges elsewhere. The drawback is that food and drink at the hotel is very expensive and you are liable to get stung for departure tax when you go back through the airport.

We went through HKG a couple of years ago and were impressed by the food on offer there and the kids seemed to find enough to keep themselves amused.

Edited by Quinkla

Another vote for Changi here. It's a lovely airport which is mostly carpeted which keeps the noise down. It's recently been refurbished and there are loads of things there (check the website). We stopped there on the way through just last week, although we spent most of it in a room in one of the transit hotels. They had lots of spaces showing the World Cup football matches so my youngest and husband watched a bit of one of the matches. It's worth noting that you can pay with Aussie dollars at some (all?) of the shops so no need to worry about having the currency on you. We spent 6 hours with the kids in Dubai airport a few years ago and didn't rate it nearly as highly for facilities and just general feel of the place.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and comments, all very helpful :)

I am surprised about Changi being so great and getting such great reviews as the few times I have flown by myself or once with our daughter I didnt think it was very child friendly, but obviously I stuck to the main terminal and didnt venture to the other ones (which is where it appears are the child activities).

Thanks Snifter for the photos - it looks like the play area is quite big and I am sure would be a hit with my two :) We have never taken the sky train in Changi airport as always just stayed in the main terminal but looks like we will be trying it out next time we stop over there. My two dont swim (something I plan on changing quick smart once we hit Aust) so the pool wouldnt be such a hit and my partner and I hate humidity with a passion so I dont like going outdoors in Singapore (spent a few days there on holiday once and was miserable, even the couple of times transiting through Changi airport was a little rough in some areas as it was quite humid inside still)

I liked this idea of KLIA having the transit hotels and relaxation areas but then again I think Changi has transit hotels as well and if the layover is only 4 hours then its probably not worth it once we get through everything, have something to eat/drink and let the kids play (I cant see the kids letting us have a little kip while they play quietly - never happens at home so definitely wont happen in a hotel room!).

It looks like Changi is going to be the winner again but I suppose it also depends on the price so only time will tell.

Once again, appreciate all the suggestions and advice.

Cheers :)

For me, Dubai would be much too early for a stopover - you've still got the bulk of your flight to go. I'd definitely go for an Asian stopover. I thought Changi had quite a lot to see, but then I wasn't travelling with kids.

The skytrain is fab. It runs every few minutes and is quick and easy. It made it all part of the adventure for our son. Also another nice thing was when we went for boarding at the terminal there was a small play area with a little slide and climbing frame so son could still play while we were waiting for them to call our flight to board.

Pool has never been open at Singapore when we have been there but have used the showers. Close for refurb etc.

book a room in advance if you want to use the pool, don't rely on just turning up.

The airport websites will give you an idea of what is available and how much it costs. Never bother with currency just use a debit card/ credit card even for small amounts, they don't mind. Just check the charges your bank applies or get a currency card or cash from the ATM