For those thinking of moving back to the UK

stokie33

We have told ourselves that it would have to be absolutely intolerable to come back before our daughter completes her education and she will be 11 when we get there. I will also aim for citizenship. We have no close family ties. Friends are pretty scattered around the UK and the world so that will not be a draw card for us either. I also feel that being middle aged means that I don't have the same feelings of unfinished business in UK and Europe as others who are in their 20s and 30s. My OH lived many years happily in Oz in the past too. I doubt if we will return for a holiday even as we want to fully explore Oz and NZ. We have also saved hard for years and nearing retirement when we get there so will definitely have a different, more leisurely, lifestyle than we have now.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We have told ourselves that it would have to be absolutely intolerable to come back before our daughter completes her education and she will be 11 when we get there. I will also aim for citizenship. We have no close family ties. Friends are pretty scattered around the UK and the world so that will not be a draw card for us either. I also feel that being middle aged means that I don't have the same feelings of unfinished business in UK and Europe as others who are in their 20s and 30s. My OH lived many years happily in Oz in the past too. I doubt if we will return for a holiday even as we want to fully explore Oz and NZ. We have also saved hard for years and nearing retirement when we get there so will definitely have a different, more leisurely, lifestyle than we have now.

Education is a real dilemma for many - it means that you usually have to wait until they finish Uni by which time there are often other ties. Alternatively you have several years before she would be getting on the GCSE roundabout so that may still be an alternative. Adventures are fun though when you can view them that way!

The two years is the length of time if we get out there and things do not work out. The same as when you start a job - if you hate it you say to yourself that you'll give it a set amount of time, rather than just quit.

True, but it's not going to cost you $50,000 to change jobs.

Hi Tina, where are you heading? we are in Sydney and moving up to Brisbane :) Been here 7 months

We're heading to Brisbane on 26th August. Ideally, I want my son to go to Ormiston College - he has an interview on 2nd September, so we are looking around that area to live. Just trying to get as much info as possible on the area and, hopefully, we'll be able to meet some friends when we get out there as we wont know anyone!!

Where are you looking to move to?

We're heading to Brisbane on 26th August. Ideally, I want my son to go to Ormiston College - he has an interview on 2nd September, so we are looking around that area to live. Just trying to get as much info as possible on the area and, hopefully, we'll be able to meet some friends when we get out there as we wont know anyone!!

That's a great time of the year to come. Still a bit chilly at night, but you'll hardly notice it, and the days are just so clear and nicely warm without being too hot. Then after a couple of weeks the Jacaranda trees will be in bloom, and it'll look like someone has tipped purple paint on the grass. And the days will get longer and warmer and warmer.....then it'll be Christmas.

I think that is a very valid point, it is easy to be of the impression that no matter how good your life is in the uk it would be even better in the warm and uncrowded surroundings of Australia. This was the mistake I made, I left England with my Australian partner probably at the best time of my life, had a well paid job I enjoyed, was seeing lots of my friends and family.

Once I had got over the I initial homesickness and had found a job (that took six months mind), made some friends and was finally settled I couldn't see much difference in either place. Both places are safe, both speak English (important if that's the only language you speak), and you will have to work 40 odd hours a week and pay bills in either. All my family, most of my friends, and everything I was familiar with were back in England while weather was better in Melbourne compared to London. For me the former was more important especially since the weather in Melbourne is essentially only three months of summer much the same as home, and milder winters but not shorts and t shirt conditions for the other nine months. I also really missed the proximity to other places as I love having a long weekend in a European city or a week in a villa somewhere.

The only way I could have stayed would have been if I could come back to the uk for regular visits (once a year minimum), and I simply couldn't afford that and knew that if I one day had a family it would be even less likely and I'd effectively be trapped.

Everyone is different and others will have their reasons why Australia offers them far more, their job might be much better paid in oz, o or if you are a family not being able to go on city breaks probably in Europe isn't concern anyway. I can see how it could work rather than making a blanket statement.

This post really resonates with me. I was in Sydney for 10 years. Left last year and took a job in Germany. After a few years in Australia you realise its like the "UK with sun" and personally I felt it quite mean of me, to exchange the support of my family and old-friends, for a bit of a sun tan!

I think day-to-day living in Sydney can be better than London, because of little things like being able to get a ferry to work. Lunchtime jogging around the Opera House. Fresh seafood. These little things add up. But you have to offset that against what you lose in terms of being around those you love and who love you.

I think emigration is good for the next generation, ie. our kids. But for the migrant it brings this pain, this level of unsettledness that a lot of us feel. Im not sure i want to live like that for ever- and I met poms in Sydney who had been there 20 years and still didn't know if they were going to stay! We are largely lifestyle migrants. If you look at the generation of migrants into Australia in the 1950s/60s, that came from Italy, they were economic migrants and they brought their whole family. Some of them never went back, they had no need. But, being a lifestyle migrant becomes hard to justify to yourself once you get caught up in work and normal living, and stop going to the beach every weekend and BBQing every night :) .. and once your siblings have children back in the UK, and your parents get sick - it gets even harder to justify.

That said, I'm still thinking of going back there :)

We will be having a talk with Ormiston on the 20th August though unfortunately returning to the UK on the 23rd because it is just a recce. Happy to give you our impressions. Seen so many of your and your partner's posts feel like I know you. We will be nearly a year behind unfortunately - I am so jealous.

I genuinely hope aus and all your plans work out GGS,but i was always dubious of giving myself targets,and time lines etc tbh,i wont be going now,so it doesn't really matter,but,the reason i never gave myself targets to reach(IE this magical figure of giving it a go for "two years" at least,never understood it tbh)is because i kinda just go with my heart,and if i don't like something,i don't bother with it any more,if i hadn't have liked aus i wouldn't have waited two years to leave if i'm honest,i'm single now and able to do that obv.

There are so many imponderables involved in actually living in aus that i'm always surprised that people make plans fairly long term,IE, in your case your citizenship is four yrs i think?,your daughters education five or six years is it?what if your daughter cant settle for instance?

I'm sure she will btw,but i'm just playing devil's advocate tbh

I just wonder sometimes if people are setting themselves too high a marker tbh,and that they should just go with their heart?but that's just my nature i suppose,i was in the army for 3 days and left:laugh:,i've quoted your post because it brought these thoughts to me,but it's just an "in general" observation really

#just thinking out loud,had a smoke:confused:,contemplating posts,that's all:smile:#

I genuinely hope aus and all your plans work out GGS,but i was always dubious of giving myself targets,and time lines etc tbh,i wont be going now,so it doesn't really matter,but,the reason i never gave myself targets to reach(IE this magical figure of giving it a go for "two years" at least,never understood it tbh)is because i kinda just go with my heart,and if i don't like something,i don't bother with it any more,if i hadn't have liked aus i wouldn't have waited two years to leave if i'm honest,i'm single now and able to do that obv.

There are so many imponderables involved in actually living in aus that i'm always surprised that people make plans fairly long term,IE, in your case your citizenship is four yrs i think?,your daughters education five or six years is it?what if your daughter cant settle for instance?

I'm sure she will btw,but i'm just playing devil's advocate tbh

I just wonder sometimes if people are setting themselves too high a marker tbh,and that they should just go with their heart?but that's just my nature i suppose,i was in the army for 3 days and left:laugh:,i've quoted your post because it brought these thoughts to me,but it's just an "in general" observation really

#just thinking out loud,had a smoke:confused:,contemplating posts,that's all:smile:#

Having read a lot of posts it is clear to me that many who are happy in Oz were not at first. They stuck it out and eventually adapted. Some will adapt straight away, others need time. I think setting goals and targets is useful especially if you are a couple and even more so if you have kids.

I am sure if my daughter thought she could just have a tantrum or two and we would turn around and come back she would do so. As far as she is concerned this is a one way ticket for us so she and we have to adapt and make the best of it.

How bad can it be? Seriously though, I have yet to read anyone's story on PIO which mirrors our own situation whether they stayed or returned.

I take it that you never did get that buyer for your house. Sorry about that Pablo but I suppose at least the decision was made for you and perhaps it was just never meant to be.

Having read a lot of posts it is clear to me that many who are happy in Oz were not at first. They stuck it out and eventually adapted. Some will adapt straight away, others need time. I think setting goals and targets is useful especially if you are a couple and even more so if you have kids.

I am sure if my daughter thought she could just have a tantrum or two and we would turn around and come back she would do so. As far as she is concerned this is a one way ticket for us so she and we have to adapt and make the best of it.

How bad can it be? Seriously though, I have yet to read anyone's story on PIO which mirrors our own situation whether they stayed or returned.

I take it that you never did get that buyer for your house. Sorry about that Pablo but I suppose at least the decision was made for you and perhaps it was just never meant to be.

I never got a buyer no,but a lot of other changes happened too,not sure what that has to do with my post though,said the same since i've been on here,good luck GGS

Hey good by grey sky,

How old is your daughter? we have a 13 year old who has had her 14th birthday here, we are currently in Sydney but heading up to Brisbane in two weeks. It has been tremendously hard for her, I/we totally underestimated the impact this would have on her, on the other hand our son has thrived. How does she feel about coming? It might be good for us to catch up, maybe PM is we can help?

Best of luck

Allison :)

I just wonder sometimes if people are setting themselves too high a marker tbh,and that they should just go with their heart?

I think if it's a single person or a young couple, I'd agree - at that stage of life, moving to Oz is an adventure worth trying - even if it doesn't work out it hasn't cost a fortune to do, and you can always go home.

The problem is that for a family with kids and a houseful of stuff, moving to Australia is horrendously expensive - the flights are the least expensive bit! A container costs $7,000 or $8,000 - either that or you sell your old furniture and buy new in Oz, which will cost even more. Probably make a loss on selling your British car, and it's going to cost at least $10,000 for an old banger, or $30,000 to $40,000 for a new one. $100 a night in a holiday apartment for several weeks till you find a rental, then at least $4,000 for the rental bond and first month's rent. If you didn't come on a sponsorship then you're spending all that money with no income coming in, and it could take up to six months to find a job.

A family can easily burn through $20,000 to $50,000 with all that. Not many people can afford to throw away that kind of money, so I think it's sensible not to do it unless you're fairly confident you're going to stay in Australia long enough to make it worthwhile.

I think if it's a single person or a young couple, I'd agree - at that stage of life, moving to Oz is an adventure worth trying - even if it doesn't work out it hasn't cost a fortune to do, and you can always go home.

The problem is that for a family with kids and a houseful of stuff, moving to Australia is horrendously expensive - the flights are the least expensive bit! A container costs $7,000 or $8,000 - either that or you sell your old furniture and buy new in Oz, which will cost even more. Probably make a loss on selling your British car, and it's going to cost at least $10,000 for an old banger, or $30,000 to $40,000 for a new one. $100 a night in a holiday apartment for several weeks till you find a rental, then at least $4,000 for the rental bond and first month's rent. If you didn't come on a sponsorship then you're spending all that money with no income coming in, and it could take up to six months to find a job.

A family can easily burn through $20,000 to $50,000 with all that. Not many people can afford to throw away that kind of money, so I think it's sensible not to do it unless you're fairly confident you're going to stay in Australia long enough to make it worthwhile.

No,i agree more or less,but i was just making an observation on how peoples mindsets are so different really,me?i'm cynical,so until i "know" i like something,someone, whatever really,i dont make plans around it

Like i say,that's just my nature,not saying one way is right and the other wrong btw,just that i (well, we at the time)tend to wait and see,i dont build my hopes up about things, "too" much anyway,just in case i'm disappointed i suppose,the only "plans" we made when we were planning on migrating,was we both had to like living there or we'd return,having been there for a short time,i dont think we would have returned btw,but there yer go

Hey good by grey sky,

How old is your daughter? we have a 13 year old who has had her 14th birthday here, we are currently in Sydney but heading up to Brisbane in two weeks. It has been tremendously hard for her, I/we totally underestimated the impact this would have on her, on the other hand our son has thrived. How does she feel about coming? It might be good for us to catch up, maybe PM is we can help?

Best of luck

Allison :)

Hi Allison

Our daughter is 10 but will be 11 when we come next year so a bit younger than your daughter. At the moment it is so far off it can be a bit hypothetical for her at times. Sometimes she is ok with the idea, sometimes anti, typical kid really. I think the recce next month should go a long way to addressing any worries she might have; hope so anyway.

What school is your daughter likely to go to? It would be good to keep in touch and thanks for your kind offer.

David

Returning back to england has for me has been one of the best decisions I have ever made ,when I look around and see what a beautiful country my home land is ,I have to take a second look to make sure I am here.

How I feel about England now, is how I felt about Australia when i first saw it ,but that was a long time ago .

Still think its a great country

chris

I guess 70 million people can't be wrong. You certainly get to know your neighbours unlike in Australia.

Another generalisation...........My new neighbours (2 each side of me) knocked on my door and introduced themselves the first day, and the following day, one fetched me some guvas from his trees. Within the week, I also got to know two of the neighbours on the opposite side of the street via their introduction. I was too busy to introduce myself but I somethimes wonder that if folk introduced themselves, instead of waiting for the neighbours to talk to them, then perhaps there would be more of a "community feel" to where one lives.

I was being deliberately stereotypical since a lot of posters think you can't get to know people in Australia. But yes I did make friends as easily here as in the UK. You find them out in the gardens more often too, if you know what I mean :biglaugh:

I was being deliberately stereotypical since a lot of posters think you can't get to know people in Australia. But yes I did make friends as easily here as in the UK. You find them out in the gardens more often too, if you know what I mean :biglaugh:

The difference being that the fences here are too high to see or converse with them....................the logest conversation I had with one of my neighbours was because I was up in the branches of a tree that i was lopping down and could see straight into their yard :-)

The difference being that the fences here are too high to see or converse with them....................the logest conversation I had with one of my neighbours was because I was up in the branches of a tree that i was lopping down and could see straight into their yard :-)

Seeing and talking to your neighbours year round here in Oz, is like seeing and talking to your UK neighbours in the winter

Archived