Wave Goodbye to Paywave?

The Fisheys

Someone has stolen my wife's credit card details, and used it to order goods online.

She is meticulous in protecting her bank accounts, so this was a bit of a surprise.

The only possible way her details got stolen must have been in Chermside Shopping Centre, she has one of these "paywave" cards, so the crook must have had some Gizmo that read her card through her handbag.

I have heard of these devices.

Speaking tonight to our bank, they said you can have a card without the "paywave" facility, which you can order in your branch.

Its great to look "cool" and appear so busy that you haven't got the time to sign, or use a PIN, but take it from me it really isn't worth it. I wouldn't want anyone to suffer the distress my wife had today, so consider changing your cards.

I think fraud is much less of a problem here than back in the UK. But as times get harder, people get desperate, so please be careful.

Anyway, on this occasion, the criminal scum were thwarted, because my wife is so meticulous she spotted the bogus transactions on the same day. She contacted her bank, who gave her the details of the retailers, both in the UK, so she rang them. They were able to cancel the transactions, and even better, are able to supply the Police with the name, and address of the person expecting delivery of the goods.

It's me he's talking about, got a recurring payment on my credit card, which I have had declined tonight, I feel sick, as I look bad, but the good news is is that the little s)$& who ordered the goods on my card ain't bloody well getting them .... It sucks that I have basically had to close off my account, because I am waiting for refunds from the UK, and was dreading Mr Perp from ......... To go shopping again ...... :arghh:

ETA I intend to make a formal complaint to the fuzz, who have said over the phone that no crime has been committed :arghh:Ah but it has $600 has been robbed off me, if they don't sort it my MP can .... I am really annoyed as we work hard and honestly for our money yet some little gob /:;() thinks it's cool to treat me as their Fairy Godmother, well I will show them, let them see what I think of it when the fuzz rock up to their door, ....... and put the handcuffs on ..... I bet I'm not the only one they robbed yesterday .....

Sorry to hear about your loss :( Thieves are upping their game! If you don't mind, can you please tell me which city was this in? There have been quite a few incidents of CC thefts in Sydney alone.

Brisbane yesterday, card used today, fortunately I am on bank account watch, was able to find out from my bank who the payments were made to, rang them when they opened, explained the situation and stopped the goods from being sent out ..... awaiting refunds now ..... One even said it looked odd to them :wub: and rang alarm bells, but I wonder if they'd have still sent the goods out .....

My bank told me you couldn't have pay wave removed, although that was when it was first introduced. Maybe they have seen sense?

Hi hun,

i was told the same, but apparently if you go into your branch they can order a card without it ..... I am going on Monday to request one without it, this is not funny ....

Brisbane yesterday, card used today, fortunately I am on bank account watch, was able to find out from my bank who the payments were made to, rang them when they opened, explained the situation and stopped the goods from being sent out ..... awaiting refunds now ..... One even said it looked odd to them :wub: and rang alarm bells, but I wonder if they'd have still sent the goods out .....

Hope they nab these criminals soon and haul their a$* to prison.

I'm sorry to say I have had to change cards twice now because of fraudulent spending in the USA...and this was on the old card, before I had paywave. I have never been to the USA :wacko: Must admit the bank were fantastic, card was blocked, got refunded and gave me new card with new numbers praxtically immediately. Touch wood it hasn't happened since. But yes, paywave would be a pain if you lost your card...

Someone has stolen my wife's credit card details, and used it to order goods online.

She is meticulous in protecting her bank accounts, so this was a bit of a surprise.

The only possible way her details got stolen must have been in Chermside Shopping Centre, she has one of these "paywave" cards, so the crook must have had some Gizmo that read her card through her handbag.

I have heard of these devices.

Speaking tonight to our bank, they said you can have a card without the "paywave" facility, which you can order in your branch.

Its great to look "cool" and appear so busy that you haven't got the time to sign, or use a PIN, but take it from me it really isn't worth it. I wouldn't want anyone to suffer the distress my wife had today, so consider changing your cards.

I think fraud is much less of a problem here than back in the UK. But as times get harder, people get desperate, so please be careful.

Anyway, on this occasion, the criminal scum were thwarted, because my wife is so meticulous she spotted the bogus transactions on the same day. She contacted her bank, who gave her the details of the retailers, both in the UK, so she rang them. They were able to cancel the transactions, and even better, are able to supply the Police with the name, and address of the person expecting delivery of the goods.

Not sure that they would have been able to. Its just that my daughter had a problem with her card a couple of years ago and she had not used that particular card for months, still manage to use it though overseas. So you see they can get any card not just a pay wave card. If they had to get the details of your wife's card at the supermarket then there must be lots of others that had the same thing happen.

Unfortunately cards are cards and whether we pin or sign people are going to exploit them. I use pay wave and I use pin and I use sign but I am aware that using my card can be a problem. Best way is to check account on line weekly or more frequently to see no unusual transactions.

Doesn't sound to me like paywave is necessarily the culprit here.

It could have been anything. It may be there was a skimming device attached to an ATM you used.

How do you know it was Paywave ?

Or your details could have been compromised online.

Not necessarily. My credit card doesn't have the "paywave" facility and I always use a PIN.

But I was rung by my bank at 8 one morning asking if I had just tried to make a purchase in Dubai. It must have triggered some automatic alert because I had used the card only the afternoon before in a South Hobart food store. The bank declined the Dubai transaction.

I've never been to Dubai, hadn't used the card overseas since 1995 and am very fastidious about using it for online transactions...so I have no idea how they obtained the number.

However, the bank did say that crooks sometimes try randomly generated numbers.

It has happened to me twice with my work Mastercard. Fortunately on both occasions the bank contacted me as soon as they realised that possible fraudulent transactions had been made. On one occasion the number was used to pay for a hotel room in Las Vegas (have never been to the US), and on the second it was used to pay for bus tickets at Digbeth coach station in Birmingham (we were in Australia at the time). The bank were fantastic and cancelled the cards and I got my money back fairly quickly.

Brisbane yesterday, card used today, .

There's not necessarily a connection. Credit card fraudsters will often hold card details for long periods before trying to use them for the first time - it makes it harder to trace.

It has happened to me twice with my work Mastercard. Fortunately on both occasions the bank contacted me as soon as they realised that possible fraudulent transactions had been made. On one occasion the number was used to pay for a hotel room in Las Vegas (have never been to the US), and on the second it was used to pay for bus tickets at Digbeth coach station in Birmingham (we were in Australia at the time). The bank were fantastic and cancelled the cards and I got my money back fairly quickly.

That's got to be scarey on a work one because you'd worry they wouldn't believe you. I used to have the work credit card in the UK with a £5000 a day limit, scared me to death.

There's not necessarily a connection. Credit card fraudsters will often hold card details for long periods before trying to use them for the first time - it makes it harder to trace.[/QUOT

The card was virtually brand new, and my beloved keeps it in her purse when I am about, LOL.

I dont like paywave either...luckily with our ANZ card (might be the same for all) anything over $100 paywave doesnt work without a pin number too.

Yeah I think Mastercard is $80 and Visa is $100 ....... My new card came today, must get one of those wallets from Strand Bags that stop the waving thing from working when you don't want it too ......

There's not necessarily a connection. Credit card fraudsters will often hold card details for long periods before trying to use them for the first time - it makes it harder to trace.[/QUOT

The card was virtually brand new, and my beloved keeps it in her purse when I am about, LOL.

He's spot on, it was only a couple of months old and had hardly been used ....... :wink: Last week when I was banging on about the incident, he kept on saying " I am the victim here, not you ", LOL, guess he was as he ended up paying for my stock :angel_happy_face_ha, my curtains, and the food shopping ....... oh and my signage and printing .....

It just seems a massive step back to me. Forging someone signature was too easy so they invented chip and pin....chip and pin is now having issues so they......remove all security?!?!??!??

Is paywave in the UK now?

I have never seen it before we got here.

It's not called paywave over there, it's something else but you basically wave your card around and the money is taken by magic. However, only for purchases up to £10 I think. I know that the fast food chains offer this waving thing but only for small items such as one meal, coffees, etc.

It's pretty worrying, I just read up about my card because it concerned me and seems the bank will refund fraudulent transactions: http://www.nab.com.au/personal/credit-cards/nab-visa-paywave/security

In the uk I had to make a few claims on credit cards, twice for fraud and once for a company who went bankrupt before delivery. No problems getting those sorted, the banks seem to accept it as normal.

That being said I use a top up cash card for internet transactions and iTunes cards for the apple store to limit the damage (the latter more to prevent the kids accidentally running up big in app purchase bills)

Archived