Is it cruel making your pets do the journey?

thinker78

I was just on another site where a lady posted that she flew her very healthy 2 year old dog to Australia (obviously cost a fair bit as it was quite a big breed) and when it reached oz, it was dead!

Worried that I'll be putting my sookie, gorgeous little girl through a big trauma- she is naturally a quiet, people loving little lap dog, I had no idea when we got her that we would be contemplating a move back to the UK. now I'm feeling totally cruel that she might not cope with this.

Do the vets give them something to help or does anyone have any advice on this? Esp if you have the quieter, more lap dog types?

I could not leave her here, she is part of our pack!

I don't think it's cruel as dogs recover easily but I do think it's stressful...my hubby works in freight at the airport and handles a lot of dogs...says they are usually very quiet and subdued, some look scared. he always makes a fuss of them and talks to them but yesterday a little chihuahua snapped at him! Short term pain..long term gain but you do have to take the dogs age/health and temperament into consideration...its a very long/joyless journey for a dog in a crate for nearly 2 days...

I didn't bring my 3 much loved cats. I didn't want to put them through the quarantine etc. saying that they upgraded to a bigger house with older children and a stay at home mum! don't know what I would have done if at last minute I faced the pound....

I didn't bring my 3 much loved cats. I didn't want to put them through the quarantine etc. saying that they upgraded to a bigger house with older children and a stay at home mum! don't know what I would have done if at last minute I faced the pound....

I seem to have read on here that there is no quarantine uk end now, is that right?

I too have a small lap type dog. He's very timid and quiet but loves people. I am worried about him making the trip but i really couldn't leave him. He's part of the family. I do believe they (vets) don't advise any sort of sedation for pets. Makes it hard for the handlers to work out if the animal is distressed. It's a very hard choice to make i'd be heartbroken if it all went wrong. I'd be keen to hear anyone's experience too.

We took our beautiful furry girl to Oz and brought her back to the UK. She is one of the few things in my life I love dearly and the thought of it almost broke me. But, do you know what, she was fine. It's wasn't pleasant but all I will say is she was well cared for and back to her normal stupid self very quickly. As someone has said, it's us humans that struggle more with it. I think (being a fellow pooch lover) to leave her would be far worse. The fact is many animals make that trip without any problems. I feel your pain but take her with you. What's a few days not seeing her compared to not seeing her again? If she has her rabies jab in Oz she shouldn't need quarantine back here.

We have the most timid Maltese Lap Dog that we took back to the UK. She was on the same flight as us and we even saw her being loaded onto the plane. I was so worried how she would cope but we picked her up at the other end and she strutted out to see us as Happy as Larry :)

I'm sure she didn't love the trip but she thrived just fine.

we just moved our 2 cats and one dog from perth to the uk (west midlands) using jetpets and they were really good, less expensive than other quotes and I don't think it was too stressful for the pets as they don't have to be in quarantine when entering the uk. they need need to have had there rabies shots I think it is at least 21 days before they fly. I could never have left them and glad it all worked out well :)

butter cup who did you use .....we have 3 dogs and 3 cats and we are taking all of them back to the uk o and 3 kids :wink: .... there is no way at all we could leave them here , they are our babies :) xxxx

We used Dogtainers in Adelaide- I think they're all over Oz. They were very good collecting my dog the day before to make sure all the paperwork was in order. They even dropped me an email to say how endearing my dog was!!! It made me cry...

:cry:

I was just on another site where a lady posted that she flew her very healthy 2 year old dog to Australia (obviously cost a fair bit as it was quite a big breed) and when it reached oz, it was dead!

Worried that I'll be putting my sookie, gorgeous little girl through a big trauma- she is naturally a quiet, people loving little lap dog, I had no idea when we got her that we would be contemplating a move back to the UK. now I'm feeling totally cruel that she might not cope with this.

Do the vets give them something to help or does anyone have any advice on this? Esp if you have the quieter, more lap dog types?

I could not leave her here, she is part of our pack!

I sincerely HOPE I can allay your fears..............

DEAD Dog is down to the Pilot OR the said Dogs Health!

Pilot is responsible for switching on the pressure in the hold..............A/C load control inform IF they have LIVE cargo

Personal experience AND an Aviation Employee

I moved mine from SYD-HKG-LHR-AGP..............Spain

Totally get where you are coming from............I was worried sick.........too much information is not a good thing

My Girls faces when they saw me the other end............classic...........made it all worthwhile

I was without them 10 days total...........never left them before

Aged 7 and 10

Trust your instinct and GO for it...........

In all my years............Deceased Dog.......................1

Total years 20

Fatalities are Pilot Error OR Natural causes.............very rare in this modern day

Good luck whatever you decide and please PM if I can be of further reassurance............if at all :)

I sincerely HOPE I can allay your fears..............

DEAD Dog is down to the Pilot OR the said Dogs Health!

Pilot is responsible for switching on the pressure in the hold..............A/C load control inform IF they have LIVE cargo

Personal experience AND an Aviation Employee

I moved mine from SYD-HKG-LHR-AGP..............Spain

Totally get where you are coming from............I was worried sick.........too much information is not a good thing

My Girls faces when they saw me the other end............classic...........made it all worthwhile

I was without them 10 days total...........never left them before

Aged 7 and 10

Trust your instinct and GO for it...........

In all my years............Deceased Dog.......................1

Total years 20

Fatalities are Pilot Error OR Natural causes.............very rare in this modern day

Good luck whatever you decide and please PM if I can be of further reassurance............if at all :)

Thank you! of course thousands of pets make the journey each year. just your worst fear, a dead dog on arrival....

thanks to all who responded. of course, i have no choice really as there's no way i could re home her here. She is only 18 months old and given her breed i am likely to enjoy her for around 15-20 years! I am sure she will not enjoy it but will survive.

thank you to all x

This has been very reassuring to read. We are shipping three cats back aged 10, 9 and 8 and I have been very worried about the 8 year old as she is the most timid creature on the planet. I was honestly afraid she would have a heart attack from the stress. She's in good health though so hopefully she'll just grit her teeth and think of England!

We have two cats that we are planning on taking back but from time to time we have the (very brief) are we being selfish conversation. I re-homed 3 cats when we moved here (one very successfully two not, which still makes me sad to think about it) and I don't want to do that again as we would have to end up leaving them with strangers. I'm hoping that the trauma of the journey will be short lived and they'll be happy in their new home!

Guess it depends on the animal too- some are more twitchy and nervous than others. We took a little cat over to Tassie on a ship and the poor thing never recovered because it was a rough crossing. Personally I wouldn't do it because I think it is bad enough for humans but I have a thing about long distance flights so that is just me.

Before I brought over my girl, I had the same concerns. She is a youngish (5 years old) but very chunky cat, and she is terrified of her own shadow. I was so afraid the stress would scare her to death. And then I had people telling me "Oh, she won't even remember you after three months apart!" [we had complications with our transport company and had to leave her with my parents for three months before she could come over]. I didn't want to believe them, but I just wasn't sure... I figured the second I let her out of her crate at our new house that she would run and hide under the nearest available bed and not come out for a few days, and that I'd have to take her food and water in there and slowly ingratiate myself to her again.

But instead, the second I opened that crate, she didn't care what strange environs she was in or what was going on, she immediately threaded herself around my ankles and started meowing at me until I picked her up. She normally doesn't like to be held for very long, but she was purring and headbutting me and giving me kisses and would not let me put her down for a solid 10 minutes!

Animals know, folks. They love just the way we do and get just as attached. I'm sure 10 days in quarantine here wasn't fun for her, but she made it through unscathed, and there's no doubt in my mind now that I did the right thing. I would never, ever contemplate leaving her with even the best of people ever again.

We chose to rehome our dog with help from rescue (not the pound) and met the family and it was the best choice for HIM. I personally feel we would be selfish to have dragged him here, he was 11, hated the UK heat and we had too rent and with quarantine, it wouldof been a nightmare forhim. We could of brought him, but made the choice based on him, how we thought he would cope with the heat and his age.

I miss him every day.

We chose to rehome our dog with help from rescue (not the pound) and met the family and it was the best choice for HIM. I personally feel we would be selfish to have dragged him here, he was 11, hated the UK heat and we had too rent and with quarantine, it wouldof been a nightmare forhim. We could of brought him, but made the choice based on him, how we thought he would cope with the heat and his age.

I miss him every day.

I had similar feelings about the heat when we moved to Australia, which was one of the reasons I decided to leave the cats behind, and I also wasn't sure about letting them outside when we got here. Being outside cats that wouldn't be fair either. Going the opposite way I'm not as concerned about our new cats, think the cold will be easier for them than vice versa.

Before I brought over my girl, I had the same concerns. She is a youngish (5 years old) but very chunky cat, and she is terrified of her own shadow. I was so afraid the stress would scare her to death. And then I had people telling me "Oh, she won't even remember you after three months apart!" [we had complications with our transport company and had to leave her with my parents for three months before she could come over]. I didn't want to believe them, but I just wasn't sure... I figured the second I let her out of her crate at our new house that she would run and hide under the nearest available bed and not come out for a few days, and that I'd have to take her food and water in there and slowly ingratiate myself to her again.

But instead, the second I opened that crate, she didn't care what strange environs she was in or what was going on, she immediately threaded herself around my ankles and started meowing at me until I picked her up. She normally doesn't like to be held for very long, but she was purring and headbutting me and giving me kisses and would not let me put her down for a solid 10 minutes!

Animals know, folks. They love just the way we do and get just as attached. I'm sure 10 days in quarantine here wasn't fun for her, but she made it through unscathed, and there's no doubt in my mind now that I did the right thing. I would never, ever contemplate leaving her with even the best of people ever again.

So glad to hear this! Our boy is a big ol' wimp, so am a bit concerned about how he'll cope - when we first got him home from the shelter he spent 3 days under the spare bed. Hopefully won't be the same when he gets to my parents house!

I seem to have read on here that there is no quarantine uk end now, is that right?

re no quarantine for dogs from Australia ,yes that is right ,I brought back my three golden retrievers as long as all there injections are up to date and they will also need a rabies jab I think 21 days before they fly out .

dogs arrive the day after we arrived all bright as a button when we picked them up, three hours later they where playing in the garden .

Well, we rescued a dog from the AWL, best dog ever he's a 4 yrs old German Shepherd x Husky, due to immigration issues with our son n daughter, we have decided that we will return to the UK, were using Jetpets, they come highly recommended, and have made the whole process very easy, his trip will take 4 days going from Adelaide to Sydney then onto Heathrow, its a door to door service, a bit pricey but like everybody says he's a member of the family, and no-one gets left behind. will let you know how it all goes, his trip starts on Tuesday 17th june.

Well, we rescued a dog from the AWL, best dog ever he's a 4 yrs old German Shepherd x Husky, due to immigration issues with our son n daughter, we have decided that we will return to the UK, were using Jetpets, they come highly recommended, and have made the whole process very easy, his trip will take 4 days going from Adelaide to Sydney then onto Heathrow, its a door to door service, a bit pricey but like everybody says he's a member of the family, and no-one gets left behind. will let you know how it all goes, his trip starts on Tuesday 17th june.

Hi there would be great if you could explain the whole process to me when it's all over and your baby is back all safe and sound! I have two lovely Hungarian viszlas that I'm taking home with me and they suffer with terrible separation anxiety, they sulk as soon as I leave the house even when other family members are home! It's going to be really nerve wracking and that's just for me lol

Archived