If you had to pick one place in the UK...

Aunt Agatha

I know there are going to be a million different opinions on this one. But if you had to pick one village/town/city (or part of a city) in the UK, which would it be and why?

I'm looking for inspiration in case our planned Northumberland move doesn't pan out.

(I did start a thread about Harrogate being voted the happiest place in the UK but it got moved before I could turn it into this sort of post LOL).

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has caught my interest. I realised that there is not a single place in the UK where I would want to live. Food for thought. But if I were forcibly sent there, then I think I would opt for (you did say "one = single" did you not?) Edinburgh.

Why?

The Festival

Edinburgh castle

Proximity to Highlands, Trossachs, Cairngorms, East Fife coastal villages, Glasgow, Inner Isles, not too far from Outer Isles

Grand architecture

Bookshops

Cornwall, I do like Surrey too (my home for 30 years) but Cornwall is 'better' for us.

Just been to Healeys cyder farm for an anniversary lunch and off to "Mr B's" in Hayle for ice cream. Can't beat a Bakewell tart ice cream! Well, unless you mix it with something else I guess (Ferrero Roche today) :-D

Guest Guest40285

I would go back to Devon, The South Hams, Totnes for sure, River Dart, not far from the beach, loads of great country side, I could go on.

I would go back to Devon, The South Hams, Totnes for sure, River Dart, not far from the beach, loads of great country side, I could go on.

Having lived in various parts of the UK, I'd have to agree with this, it's the most beautiful county I've ever lived in. I really love the coastline of Cornwall too but from a practical level workwise think it would be tricky. For diversity and culture, you can't beat London

Guest Guest40285
I would love a go at grave digging.

I got a mate thats been doing that since he left school

Guest Guest40285
It's a pity work has to be a consideration! DH would love to live in Cornwall but I know we'd struggle to find employment.

Devons better, haha.........More trees too

So hard! Too many great places - but choice is Lewes (home town and superb place to live), St Albans, York - sadly all a bit pricey but all good for work

.. although retirement wise, I'm thinking of Lyme Regis - Anyone lived there and want to give me low down?

I haven't traveled the length and breadth of the UK yet, so can only base my thoughts on where I have actually been. Cornwall will be one of my first stops when I go back!

For returning to live, Cheshire is good for me. I love Chester, can be in North Wales quickly, near Liverpool and Manchester, York not far away, Lake District easy drive too. If money was no object I would be up in the West Coast of Scotland though, living somewhere more rural, writing my book... dream on girl.

Archived