Is there one year less at school in Australia - confused.

Ready to go

I have been chasing this one around in my head for a while, and spoken to many schools, but still not sure of the answer. Can any of you clear it up? In the UK kids do a reception year then years 1-13. It would seem that in Aussie they do a year of prep the year 1-12. Both my kids will go into the same year as the one they left the UK in but only go onto year 12 Rather than year 13. Does this cause a problem, and does it mean that an Australian education would be ranked lower by UK universities. Miles think it great, but I'm not so sure.

When my boy came out he finished year 9 in uk , started yr ten here , think they stay on longer now I believe in uk , because when mine were there they finished at year 11 . In oz they finish end of year 12 so my boy will be nearly 18 when he finishes school here , year 12 will be there last year in school in oz then on to taffe or uni , it his is my opinion only but if they haven't got long do at school leave em there education is different over here than uk . If I've read you right they will go in yr 12 here if that's the case me personally would leave em to finish uk off . It's your choice though .

They also have Kindy, which is 2 and half days or 3 days a week depending on the school, they start Kindy at 4 or if they turn 4 before June 30th, they start school at the start of Feb so some are still 3, I am in Perth WA I think it might be a little different in other States x

I have been chasing this one around in my head for a while, and spoken to many schools, but still not sure of the answer. Can any of you clear it up? In the UK kids do a reception year then years 1-13. It would seem that in Aussie they do a year of prep the year 1-12. Both my kids will go into the same year as the one they left the UK in but only go onto year 12 Rather than year 13. Does this cause a problem, and does it mean that an Australian education would be ranked lower by UK universities. Miles think it great, but I'm not so sure.

In a nutshell, yes. You would be mad bringing a child over in year twelve. Year 12 is built on year 11, and both years are examined. I would finish a levels first.

There is kindy then prep then Years 1-12 so that is 14 years of schooling like the UK.

There are only 13 years of full time school. Preschool (part time) is neither universal nor compulsory so, yes, Aus has one year less than UK in compulsory schooling (technically two years less because schooling isn't compulsory until a child turns 6 and if they do enrol at 6 they tend to go straight into yr1 but most kids go through from the yr before yr 1 whatever it's called to yr 12). Uni education to honours is 4 yrs as opposed to 3 in UK.

Anyone would be well advised not to move a kid heading for A levels TBH

There are only 13 years of full time school. Preschool (part time) is neither universal nor compulsory so, yes, Aus has one year less than UK in compulsory schooling (technically two years less because schooling isn't compulsory until a child turns 6 and if they do enrol at 6 they tend to go straight into yr1 but most kids go through from the yr before yr 1 whatever it's called to yr 12). Uni education to honours is 4 yrs as opposed to 3 in UK.

Not in WA. Schooling is compulsory at age five (known as pre-primary), it also includes four year olds if the child turns five before the cut off date of June 30th.

Kindy is part time and for four year olds, as well as any three year olds who turn four before the same cut off date.Kindy, unlike pre-primary, is not compulsory.

Edited by Sammy1

Not in WA. Schooling is compulsory at age five (known as pre-primary), it also includes four year olds if the child turns five before the cut off date of June 30th.

Kindy is part time and for four year olds, as well as any three year olds who turn four before the same cut off date.Kindy, unlike pre-primary, is not compulsory.

Wikipedia is still saying the compulsory age is before they turn 6 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Australia in all states - must've been changed recently, could probably do with editing by WA Ed then if it's compulsory at 5 now

good that they're aiming for some universal nomenclature for the year before yr 1 at least!

Edited by Quoll

Wikipedia is still saying the compulsory age is before they turn 6 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Australia in all states - must've been changed recently, could probably do with editing by WA Ed then if it's compulsory at 5 now

good that they're aiming for some universal nomenclature for the year before yr 1 at least!

yes it's changed recently. I am not sure if last year or this year was the first year it was compulsory. Time moves so quickly I can't remember when it changed!

Pre Primary became compulsory in January 2013.

I think it certainly helps having a a mandatory year of formal school based learning before year 1 commences.

I do worry though that many important skills and experiences are being lost as play based learning is gradually disappearing. We still need to give our students a chance to be kids.

Thanks so much for this, it clears things up for me. My son is going into year 9 mid year so hopefully should be ok. I think I was most worried that UK year 9 was Aussie year 8 and he would be in the wrong year, but he has now started and if anything is ahead of his new class mates. This has made him really happy and gives a bit of grace while he settles in. I seam to have confused everyone with my post as everyone thought we were moving an A level kid.

Our eldest was born on 14th October 2009 (4 years and 7 months now)

He would be starting primary school (year 1) in the UK this september when he was 4 years and 11 months.

Here he wont start PREP until Feb next year, by which time he will be 5 years and 3 1/2 months. As far as I believe, PREP isn't compulsory which to me suggests its not going to be as in depth/curriculum as year 1 in the UK is.

A BIG concern of ours!

So back to the OP. Here in QLD it goes - PREP then Year 1 to 10 compulsory with 11 and 12 being extra.

All in its still 11 years here as in the UK but with PREP not being compulsory I question if the early levels is as good as the UK.

Our eldest was born on 14th October 2009 (4 years and 7 months now)

He would be starting primary school (year 1) in the UK this september when he was 4 years and 11 months.

Here he wont start PREP until Feb next year, by which time he will be 5 years and 3 1/2 months. As far as I believe, PREP isn't compulsory which to me suggests its not going to be as in depth/curriculum as year 1 in the UK is.

A BIG concern of ours!

So back to the OP. Here in QLD it goes - PREP then Year 1 to 10 compulsory with 11 and 12 being extra.

All in its still 11 years here as in the UK but with PREP not being compulsory I question if the early levels is as good as the UK.

If you were in WA you would be half way through pre primary which is full time and compulsory and in 2015 would be going into year 1. Kids attend Kindy prior to Pre Primary which is 2.5 days a week and is not compulsory. I didn't realise that QLD didn't start school till that age.

In addition you have to stay until the end of year 11 unless you have a job with a recognised company or are going to TAFE.

Edited by northernbird
added extra