So the mass immigration never really happened.

Perthbum

Good article

[h=1]Romanians' Migration to the UK: Predictions Versus Reality[/h]

The question of how many Romanians will come to the UK in 2014 was a misguided and misleading topic in 2013. It continues to make headlines, I hope not for a long time. The answer depends on who you ask this question.

UKIP politicians suggested 29million Romanians (and Bulgarians) will invade the British shores. An American think tank predicted 385,000 people will migrate from Romania and Bulgaria to the UK over the next five years. Migration Watch advanced 50,000 persons a year (previously, they have said up to 70,000 a year).

A survey commissioned by the BBC suggested that less than 1% of adult Romanians could look for work in the UK, which in concrete figures gives 15-20,000 people. A report commissioned by the UK government in 2010 estimates 8,000 Romanians will come to Britain in 2014. From 8,000 to 385,000 (not to speak about 29million) it is a huge field open to speculations exploited by tabloid media and xenophobic politicians.

My comments are based only on certified data: with the first flight from Romania on 1 January only two Romanians came to the UK to take advantage of the lifting of border restrictions. According to a Sunday People investigation, airlines and travel companies based in Romania recorded either a decrease or no change in passengers flying to the UK in January 2014 following lifting of restrictions. The Consular department of our Embassy has not registered an increase in the number of services required by Romanian nationals last month, compared to the same period of 2013. And, on 27 January, prime minister David Cameron told BBC Radio 4 that immigration levels from Romania and Bulgaria has been "reasonable" since work restrictions were lifted at the start of the year.

The National Insurance Number (NINO) registrations to adult overseas entering the UK for the period 2012-2013 (fiscal year) show a decrease of 22% for Romanian citizens compared to 2011-2012 (whereas there are increases of 50% Spaniards, 44% Greeks, 43% Portuguese, 36% Hungarians and 35% Italians).

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I saw that the other day PB - that the expected/anticipated numbers didn't arrive in the UK

we were going to be swamped ali, I knew it was never going to happen.....I agree we need tight controls on immigration but it has been a big benefit to the UK the number of skilled people who have come here.

Guest Andy
we were going to be swamped ali, I knew it was never going to happen.....I agree we need tight controls on immigration but it has been a big benefit to the UK the number of skilled people who have come here.

Probably not to many people would dispute that, but it is the unskilled that are the problem, they take jobs because they can afford to work for less keeping wages down and forcing young brits out of work.

Good article

Romanians' Migration to the UK: Predictions Versus Reality

The question of how many Romanians will come to the UK in 2014 was a misguided and misleading topic in 2013. It continues to make headlines, I hope not for a long time. The answer depends on who you ask this question.

UKIP politicians suggested 29million Romanians (and Bulgarians) will invade the British shores. An American think tank predicted 385,000 people will migrate from Romania and Bulgaria to the UK over the next five years. Migration Watch advanced 50,000 persons a year (previously, they have said up to 70,000 a year).

A survey commissioned by the BBC suggested that less than 1% of adult Romanians could look for work in the UK, which in concrete figures gives 15-20,000 people. A report commissioned by the UK government in 2010 estimates 8,000 Romanians will come to Britain in 2014. From 8,000 to 385,000 (not to speak about 29million) it is a huge field open to speculations exploited by tabloid media and xenophobic politicians.

My comments are based only on certified data: with the first flight from Romania on 1 January only two Romanians came to the UK to take advantage of the lifting of border restrictions. According to a Sunday People investigation, airlines and travel companies based in Romania recorded either a decrease or no change in passengers flying to the UK in January 2014 following lifting of restrictions. The Consular department of our Embassy has not registered an increase in the number of services required by Romanian nationals last month, compared to the same period of 2013. And, on 27 January, prime minister David Cameron told BBC Radio 4 that immigration levels from Romania and Bulgaria has been "reasonable" since work restrictions were lifted at the start of the year.

The National Insurance Number (NINO) registrations to adult overseas entering the UK for the period 2012-2013 (fiscal year) show a decrease of 22% for Romanian citizens compared to 2011-2012 (whereas there are increases of 50% Spaniards, 44% Greeks, 43% Portuguese, 36% Hungarians and 35% Italians).

I dont agree that its a good article, you criticise the DM, your article is talking about the non event of Romanians coming here in 2014 yet in the last paragraph it refers to figures for national insurance number registrations in 2012-2013. Great bit of reading that.

Were you not complaining a couple of years ago that you couldn't find work as a chippy?

If it Didnt happen, then I'm glad, cos there was enough of the freeloaders already.

my niece works in a bookies in the UK and the things she told me were incredible, she has the likes of Slovaks and other Eastern Europeans in her place from opening to closing, spending and loosing thousands of pounds....

and where are they getting this money....oh yes, the UK government.

Uk welfare a big Fooking joke, there is enough UK born layabouts, without taking more on...

EU...the worst thing we ever did

Wait till Turkey joins the EU, the UK might see 1 or additional residents

I doubt that Turkey will be allowed full membership of the EU for a long time tbh,so there shouldn't be too many from Turkey coming

If it Didnt happen, then I'm glad, cos there was enough of the freeloaders already.

my niece works in a bookies in the UK and the things she told me were incredible, she has the likes of Slovaks and other Eastern Europeans in her place from opening to closing, spending and loosing thousands of pounds....

Uk welfare a big Fooking joke, there is enough UK born layabouts, without taking more on...

So your niece works in a bookies but she has access to the personal finance details of all her customers?

Something smells decidedly dodgy...

We have some Romanians here, only 4 or 5 I think. They were on the boat trip with me. We have quite a few Europeans here but not as many as I thought there would be

Those Romanians aren't daft are they Stacey. Why spend the time in the UK Up North, struggling for work. Just head off to one of the nicer places that the UK has to offer and spend the summer there.:yes:

I don't think the dole is so generous in UK that it would allow folk to bet from opening to closing. How would your niece be in any sort of position to know what punters in her place of work may do or not do for a ling?

Those Romanians aren't daft are they Stacey. Why spend the time in the UK Up North, struggling for work. Just head off to one of the nicer places that the UK has to offer and spend the summer there.:yes:

Or for that matter go to low wage UK. More joining the already very substantial numbers of East Europeans already in Germany. I've met a number of Slavs here in Perth heading that way over the years as well.

Well they are allowed to so why not. Although one or two of them wear a suit at work so I think they must be something fairly high up in the hotel. There's this guy here from Slovenia or Slovakia and he's the nicest guy I've met in ages. He keeps saying how nice it is here especially where I work and that his family wanted him to work in a factory back home and he thought no way when he could work somewhere like here. Good on him lol.

You would be amazed (I used to manage a Bookies). The government may as well just give the money to William Hill, more so for British than the foreigners though. Saying that a lot of the eastern europeans get totally hooked on the machines and do their wages in on them

I don't think the dole is so generous in UK that it would allow folk to bet from opening to closing. How would your niece be in any sort of position to know what punters in her place of work may do or not do for a ling?

They will bet 10p or just sit in there as they have nothing better to do if they run out of money. Or try and borrow off another one who is up on his luck that week.

Or for that matter go to low wage UK. More joining the already very substantial numbers of East Europeans already in Germany. I've met a number of Slavs here in Perth heading that way over the years as well.

Germany or Guernsey for the summer, I think I'd take Guernsey.

Guest Guest 47403

I don't think the the whole mass migration was ever expected by anyone other than the UKIP/EDL types, the UK is in a totally different position economically to when the country was caught out by the sheer volume of poles that came whilst the country was thriving economically under a Labour government, life in austerity Britain under the tories isn't such an appealing option I daresay.

Archived