Australian Post, now that's a joke!

Jameister

Has anyone had issues with Australian Post?

This has happened almost every time I've expected a delivery where a card gets put in the post box outside even though there is someone currently in the property. I mean don't these guys even bother to knock or is this asking too much?

And I'm not taking about anything big being delivered just a bit bigger then the actual post box.

I think it's a bit cheeky to put a card in the post box saying I have a parcel when they haven't actually attempted delivery.

Unless of course I'm missing something and it's different here, I don't know but shouldn't the postie actually knock on the door to see if anyone is at home first?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It varies here depending on the actual postie, some pip their horn and wait a few minutes but some are lazy and just put the note in the letter box saying you have a parcel. Ive been in and would have heard them a few times this has happened so i know they havent even attempted to knock, pip etc.

I also think they sometimes stock pile the mail, we wont get any for a few days then get a heap in one go with varying postal dates on them. Friends in the area have the same issue so i dont think its just me.

Cal x

I'm not a fan of Aus Post at all but then I'm also not a fan of the mailbox type delivery, I miss the UK style where the post lands on your doorstep. It's also an opportunity to get to know the postman, just feels a bit more personal.

Isn't it actually very cheap and a good service to send a letter across Australia, say Melbourne to Perth (4000 kms or so).

They fly your letter across the country, deliver it to a specific house for you in 2 days all for only 70c.

Maybe we expect too much.

I agree that it's a completely crap service. They don't bother to knock around here but they used to. I've a friend who works for Australia Post. I asked him about this and he said that complaints soared when they privatised the parcel delivery service. So they hired someone to follow the delivery people around and film them. Much to no-one's amazement they discovered that they were sitting in the vans writing out the 'you weren't home' slips before even leaving the depot!!! That's what you get with privatisation. I think the profit margin on delivery must be pretty small. Not that this is a good excuse for such a poor service.

How long would it take them to do their round if they have to go up to everyone's front door ?

It would take them as long as it takes, so your saying that this acceptable? Not sure what level of expectation you are after but if I'm paying for a post service I expect exactly that, someone that delivers the post that you have paid for.

This has happened almost every time I've expected a delivery where a card gets put in the post box outside even though there is someone currently in the property. I mean don't these guys even bother to knock or is this asking too much?

And I'm not taking about anything big being delivered just a bit bigger then the actual post box.

I think it's a bit cheeky to put a card in the post box saying I have a parcel when they haven't actually attempted delivery.

Unless of course I'm missing something and it's different here, I don't know but shouldn't the postie actually knock on the door to see if anyone is at home first?

Yes I have a major issue with them.My children's grandparent sent dollars in the post for my daughter's birthday but as usual the mail was opened and the money gone than likely in the bookies or pub .Now I did tell them not to send money in the post for obvious reasons but they took the gamble and lost .We know it happened in Aus because after the money had been taken it was kindly placed in Australian mail wrapping sign of the times I guess.

Our delivery isn't until about 4. 30 pm and if it is raining- forget it, they don't bother. We get a whole stack on the next fine day. Lousy service and as for knocking at the door - huh, can't remember the last time they bothered though the private couriers are better.

It's only a bloody letter FFS

Yeah, it's only private correspondence, bank stuff and the like. She'll be right eh?. And if anyone complains, well, they're just a whinging Poms aren't they?

How long would it take them to do their round if they have to go up to everyone's front door ?

Isn't that part of a Postie's job though?

I agree that it's a completely crap service. They don't bother to knock around here but they used to. I've a friend who works for Australia Post. I asked him about this and he said that complaints soared when they privatised the parcel delivery service. So they hired someone to follow the delivery people around and film them. Much to no-one's amazement they discovered that they were sitting in the vans writing out the 'you weren't home' slips before even leaving the depot!!! That's what you get with privatisation. I think the profit margin on delivery must be pretty small. Not that this is a good excuse for such a poor service.

Quite apart from the laziness and dishonesty involved.

Guest Guest 47403

Damn Australia for not having letter boxes on front doors! How very Un-British of them :wink:

I'm not a fan of Aus Post at all but then I'm also not a fan of the mailbox type delivery, I miss the UK style where the post lands on your doorstep. It's also an opportunity to get to know the postman, just feels a bit more personal.

So a lot of lonely housewives say...:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Yep happens to me all the time, and its when the postman has a DVD or something, cannot be bothered to get out of car and put it in the box. Have watched him do it. Workmen here at the minute cannot believe it. The ones who deliver larger parcels always leave them on my doorstep if I do not have to sign.

It really just depends who is contracted to do our mail and the way they choose to do it.

Archived