Not long until I go

mkeeno

Hi guys. I've posted here a few times. You may recall I've had a bit of a turbulent time overthinking wether to move back to the UK or not. It's finally happening in June. I'm just hear to express my good news. I had an informal chat/interview today in Brisbane with the head of UK operations for the company I work for here. It went well, no absolute guarantees but pretty close to it.

I can't wait for what's to come!

Good luck mkeeno, I hope it all works out for you.

I don't know how long you've been out in QLD but if you've been out of the UK for over the last 5 years I think you'll be shocked when you return, maybe not if you're going to be London based though! I've recently had my job outsourced after working for a huge multi-national for 23 years and jobs in North-West England are not easy to come by, so you're in a great position. I'm doing the opposite to you and giving Brisbane a chance, emigrating with my Aussie partner. She's been here 12 years now, so it only seems fair for me to give her the opportunity to see if Australia has more to offer than here in Cheshire and be close to family again after so long. She has a position commencing August and we have a 3 week recce coming up in a couple of weeks to do background stuff, validate my visa and see what job opportunities there are for myself as I've not visited since 2010!

Hi guys. I've posted here a few times. You may recall I've had a bit of a turbulent time overthinking wether to move back to the UK or not. It's finally happening in June. I'm just hear to express my good news. I had an informal chat/interview today in Brisbane with the head of UK operations for the company I work for here. It went well, no absolute guarantees but pretty close to it.

Think long and hard before committing yourself..There are hard times and severe austerity here in the UK. We've been here 4 years now and have seen real degeneration in living standards.

I don't see this at all. Maybe I am lucky, living in the "affluent" South East and always having had not too badly paying jobs. Yes I can see that some things are more expensive, but to me, they are still affordable, within reason / being sensible etc. Not being snotty and I do know that a lot of people are struggling, but not sure that I agree with "severe austerity".

Think long and hard before committing yourself..There are hard times and severe austerity here in the UK. We've been here 4 years now and have seen real degeneration in living standards.

This quote could in fact relate to Australia too Carrotcruncher. I know quite a few people (British and Aussies) who are having a real hard time of it here in Perth. Australia like the UK is not a utopia, both have many problems with unemployment, drugs, violence etc...

Why is there always so much negativity on this forum when someone decides to move back to the UK? It is their choice for their own personal reasons, why shoot them down for it? I personally have no interest in ever living in Scotland again but what gives me the right to bad mouth either country, none!

I don't see this at all. Maybe I am lucky, living in the "affluent" South East and always having not too badly paying jobs. Yes I can see that some things are more expensive, but to me, they are still affordable, within reason / being sensible etc. Not being snotty and I do know that a lot of people are struggling, but not sure that I agree with "severe austerity".

Me neither! There ya go, aim for the SE! Perfect weather, high employment and too much going on that fitting it all in is a challenge!

Fingers crossed all goes well for you OP!

This quote could in fact relate to Australia too Carrotcruncher. I know quite a few people (British and Aussies) who are having a real hard time of it here in Perth. Australia like the UK is not a utopia, both have many problems with unemployment, drugs, violence etc...

Why is there always so much negativity on this forum when someone decides to move back to the UK? It is their choice for their own personal reasons, why shoot them down for it? I personally have no interest in ever living in Scotland again but what gives me the right to bad mouth either country, none!

Don't get me wrong. I'm merely telling him to really give consideration to his decision.

I was back in Perth 2 years ago and when I returned to the UK I considered life appeared quite a lot better in Perth and that's why we are returning. But everyone to his/her own.

Fingers crossed on the transfer with your current employer. Best of luck!

Don't get me wrong. I'm merely telling him to really give consideration to his decision.

I was back in Perth 2 years ago and when I returned to the UK I considered life appeared quite a lot better in Perth and that's why we are returning. But everyone to his/her own.

If you read the papers they would have you believe that Perth has changed in the last couple of years too - more unemployment for starters. UK on the way up, Aus on the way down - Aus always was about 5 years behind!

Thanks for the well wishes! I'll be moving back to Liverpool, that's where home is. I agree things have changed a lot since I left 8 years ago. Firstly Liverpool's city centre was completely regenerated, featuring the UKs largest open air shopping centre. The docklands has also transformed and they've built a state of the art arena for attracting international artists. I go back every year whenever I can and I never see the doom and gloom everyone talks about. Yes there's unemployment, yes there's poverty, yes there's crime. But these things happen in Australia too. I live in New Farm, Brisbane. You get all walks of life here, no different to any major city in England. I live between the affluent riverside Queenslanders and housing commission 'apartments/hostels' for the homeless/disadvantaged.

I won't believe the doom and gloom any more. You can see the bad in both places, you can also choose to see the good in both places. I'm sure with a full time job, you can have a higher disposable income in the UK than you can here - Australia is extremely good at keeping their money in circulation. For instance paying for a driving license every year, when England's lasts for life. Australia is an extremely nice place (I'm a Aussie citizen too) and will always be my second home, but I'm under no illusion - nice things need paying for. That manifests in fines/fees/taxes on most things and a lot 'stricter' society. I enjoy the freedom of the UK. I go to gigs/festivals with my parents in the UK, because they enjoy music too. Over here that is somewhat frowned upon, or considered out of the ordinary - 'that's what teenagers do' apparently.

Like I say the two countries are worlds apart, literally and figuratively. Neither are better/worse than the other, they are just different.

That's good advice but,here in oz things are changing also...big budget in may....and joe hockey is going to sting a few people..pensioners...middle class families to name two...I think Australia will have a few changes on the horizon ...ageing population..lack of manufacturing...paying for the last labour governments stuff ups...no wheres perfect...so maybe you should think long and hard also?...

All the best in whatever decisions you guys make...cheers

Good luck with the move, you've got a great attitude so I'm sure you'll settle in really well. The moving back with a good full time job is our dream (well, our dream for my DH, I'm going to try and keep freelancing part-time) well done on pulling it off!

Guest Bora
Thanks for the well wishes! I'll be moving back to Liverpool, that's where home is. I agree things have changed a lot since I left 8 years ago. Firstly Liverpool's city centre was completely regenerated, featuring the UKs largest open air shopping centre. The docklands has also transformed and they've built a state of the art arena for attracting international artists. I go back every year whenever I can and I never see the doom and gloom everyone talks about. Yes there's unemployment, yes there's poverty, yes there's crime. But these things happen in Australia too. I live in New Farm, Brisbane. You get all walks of life here, no different to any major city in England. I live between the affluent riverside Queenslanders and housing commission 'apartments/hostels' for the homeless/disadvantaged.

I won't believe the doom and gloom any more. You can see the bad in both places, you can also choose to see the good in both places. I'm sure with a full time job, you can have a higher disposable income in the UK than you can here - Australia is extremely good at keeping their money in circulation. For instance paying for a driving license every year, when England's lasts for life. Australia is an extremely nice place (I'm a Aussie citizen too) and will always be my second home, but I'm under no illusion - nice things need paying for. That manifests in fines/fees/taxes on most things and a lot 'stricter' society. I enjoy the freedom of the UK. I go to gigs/festivals with my parents in the UK, because they enjoy music too. Over here that is somewhat frowned upon, or considered out of the ordinary - 'that's what teenagers do' apparently.

Like I say the two countries are worlds apart, literally and figuratively. Neither are better/worse than the other, they are just different.

Great balanced view Mkeeno - ignore this trash which Carrot Cruncher talks about. she moving back to OZ coz of the weather so nothing positive to say.....

In my experience (I moved back 4 months ago and there is a buzz about the place, the economy moving nicely, unemployment decreasing, inflation stabilising - a real swagger and a sense of optimism in the air. A great time to head back. Good luck and follow your heart.

Archived