help with this decision - oz or uk?

peasy

Hi - I am looking for some advice.

I've always wanted to go to oz since leaving uni, and 4 years on still want to go. The dilemma I face is oz has always been the dream , but as of yet I've not managed to get over there myself. I am lucky enough with my partner to be able to go over on a perm residency visa - and i want to go, mostly due to an improvement in the weather, and to experience a different culture. The downside, mostly the flights, wildlife incl snakes, and the cost. What I would appreciate advice on is whether it is essential to visit first or just take the bull by the horns and go with a visa. My concern now is the thousands it will cost for us to fly over and stay, will pay for one of our visas at least. What do people think ...?

thanks

Personally, I feel that you need to visit, even if it's for a few months, perhaps a WHV first as it's a big move to make. Saying that, I know I have said this before on other threads, but my aunt came to the UK waaaaaaaay back in the 1950's as a single parent with 3 kids, when it wasn't easy for Asians in this country. She settled in London, at a time when most Asian migrants went to Leicester and it was really hard for her. She'd never been to Britain before and it was a MASSIVE shock, but she did settle here and was determined. If you have the mindset that you are moving there and that's that, then you can do it too. Just remember that it's not all fun-filled days sipping wine spritzers or whatever by the pool/on the beach. Life is a daily grind regardless of where you live, unless you have the money to make the world your playground. It's also not the UK with sunshine (I hope I don't sound patronising saying that, but so many Brits think it is because it's an English speaking country. Well, Pakistan uses English as a business language and everyone considers that foreign).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it depends on your mind frame as to whether it will work for you. If you dig your heels in and say ok I'm doing it, then it will work. If you always have a part of you that says I miss my family/friends/the snow or whatever, you will be unhappy.

I would add, that it was about 12 years before another relative finally came over and although she sent my cousins back to visit the family, she never went herself due to cost and having to work full-time.

We didn't visit first..just wanted to come so got visa and done it..I knew I wanted to experience living here so visiting first would not have been helpful in scratching my itch. .just waste of money to me but everyone feels differently abt that...ive not seen a snake yet. .they are around..my husband has seen lots as he works outside in long grass but I haven't n never really think abt it

Thanks for your reply. I guess I just want to be reassured we can survive for a few years! I don't expect the work/life balance to change, we both just like experiencing new things and trying new places. We currently only rent and have no children and feel now is the best time to do it we are going to go. I don't no how long my job will be on SOL, and we have a dog we need to take and oz just decr quarantine to 10 days so if going to go is a good time. Will we really be able to tell from a 2week holiday if its somewhere we want to live for the next few years?

Thanks for your reply. I guess I just want to be reassured we can survive for a few years! I don't expect the work/life balance to change, we both just like experiencing new things and trying new places. We currently only rent and have no children and feel now is the best time to do it we are going to go. I don't no how long my job will be on SOL, and we have a dog we need to take and oz just decr quarantine to 10 days so if going to go is a good time. Will we really be able to tell from a 2week holiday if its somewhere we want to live for the next few years?

The short answer is no, which is why if you're coming, either get a working holiday visa or sort something more long term then a tourist visa out. If the job is on SOL then go for it. You only live once and it's a short life too!

Your dog will still need all the prep work ahead of going so make sure you research how long this will take to tie in with when you actually want to go.

Make no mistake, migrating is expensive. And can be hard going sometimes. The wildlife is the least of your worries IMHO. Also it will vary depending on where you migrate to.

As you've no ties or property etc I'd say it's a good time to give it a whirl. Nothing has to be forever.

We came to brisbane 3 years ago on a temporary visa. We had no kids, no real ties in the UK apart from family. I had a job on the Skills list, it seemed like the perfect time to give it a go. We weren't 100% sure we would stay but we figured even if it all went belly up, what an experience to have, and at least we would know where we want to settle.

If we'd have stayed in the UK I would always have wondered if we made the right decision, and once you start thinking about Australia it's difficult to let it go. I didn't want to get to 50 or even older with a family and reminisce about the days we could have gone to australia but didn't. You would look back and seriously kick yourself.

There are so many people who want to come here but can't because the noose is tightening with regards to the job market and immigration etc.

I'm not saying it's easy, it is hard to be away from family and you will miss the UK, but the only person who knows if it's for you, is you. Everyone's circumstances are different.

Doing a reccie isn't always the answer either- the place you see in 3 weeks - on holiday, is very different to actually living in a place. It wasn't worth it for us, so we just came having never set foot in Brisbane before. Sure, we researched where we were moving to, the good and the bad but we also didn't set ourselves up with the attitude of 'we have to make this work'. We were open minded and saw the experience as that, a great experience.

For our part, we have no regrets. Australia has given us the lifestyle we wanted and we have achieved much more here than we ever could have had in the UK. We applied for our PR last year and are looking forwards to becoming australian citizens next year.

We are also lucky in the sense that our family are able and willing to visit us too, which they have done in the past few years. This makes a difference.

All the best with your decision!

Oh I nearly forgot- we have NEVER seen a snake or poisonous spiders or any of the other horrors you see on the discovery channel.

i would actually love to see a wild snake, it's crazy in 3 years we are still waiting for a sighting!

the wildlife is not lurking around corners waiting for unsuspecting people to pounce on. Generally in the suburbs you won't see anything of interest except parakeets and the occasional possum at night.

the largest problem we have had is ants and fruit flies but I'd much rather them than wasps you get in the summer in UK.

Frome someone who has been through the system and come out here on a tourist visa, working holiday visa, 457 (temp) and now a perm resident, soon to be a citizen. I would go with what the majority of people have said on here and just move out here on a PR visa. Like others have said nothing is for ever and you can always return to the UK should if not suit you. If you come on a temp visa its limits you to where you can go or how long you can stay for. At least if you come out under a PR visa you can explore the country first and settle where you want! Doing reccies are great but costly. Good luck!

If you're strapped for cash and you want to come I can't see that coming for a holiday first is going to help. We just came without visiting first, we were advised by a jab agency not to come to Perth too (in 92 that was) but it seemed to have everything we wanted and the climate looked great. Never looked back, it's been brilliant, everything we thought it could be.:cool:

Guest Ptp113
Oh I nearly forgot- we have NEVER seen a snake or poisonous spiders or any of the other horrors you see on the discovery channel.

i would actually love to see a wild snake, it's crazy in 3 years we are still waiting for a sighting!

the wildlife is not lurking around corners waiting for unsuspecting people to pounce on. Generally in the suburbs you won't see anything of interest except parakeets and the occasional possum at night.

the largest problem we have had is ants and fruit flies but I'd much rather them than wasps you get in the summer in UK.

Seen 2 snakes in nearly 50 years and both of those in the last 12 months. Find it funny when poms carry on about 'scary wildlife', obviously led very sheltered lives, as most poms do of course

Guest Finalproof
Australia everytime for me nothing like a good dose of sunshine to make you feel good- and if you can't find something fun to do here you must be dead.

Winter brings frosty clear mornings, hot roast chestnuts, mulled wine, toasting marshmallows on sticks around a roaring fire, blackberry picking, and lots of snow. Australia at its brilliant best!

Winter brings frosty clear mornings, hot roast chestnuts, mulled wine, toasting marshmallows on sticks around a roaring fire, blackberry picking, and lots of snow. Australia at its brilliant best!

Somehow don't think that was the bit jasepom was thinking about and not the first thing that pops into my head as a good time. I hate cold weather, frost, you can keep it.

I hate the cold too. That's why I prefer my winters mild and wet without too much frost. You can still get those winter days where you can still enjoy the sunshine. II used to call it "hot-cold" days> If you were in the Sun it would be warm, but if you drifted out of the sunshine it would drop by 10 degs.

I hate the cold too. That's why I prefer my winters mild and wet without too much frost. You can still get those winter days where you can still enjoy the sunshine. II used to call it "hot-cold" days> If you were in the Sun it would be warm, but if you drifted out of the sunshine it would drop by 10 degs.

I think thats why we have chosen melbourne - as i've heard you still get seasons but weather stays pretty warm! hopefully not to much snow.

Does anyone know how dog friendly oz is, i know everyone has said not much wildlife so is it safe to let dogs off lead, can you take dogs to the beach etc?

You're young and i assume free of too many ties.. Why not come over for 1-2 years and give it a go? I think Oz is a brilliant place for grads with a bit of work experience. Puts you in a good place to explore Oz and New Zealand. I wouldn't bother wasting £ on a holiday first - you need to live it to experience it and can always head back if it's not for you.

Does anyone know how dog friendly oz is, i know everyone has said not much wildlife so is it safe to let dogs off lead, can you take dogs to the beach etc?

Most regulations regarding dogs are a matter for local councils, so they can vary from one council area to another. Generally there will be designated "on lead" and "off lead" areas. The same with beaches. Some beaches may be dog free, others on lead, off lead....or a variation according to time of the day...or even time of the year (winter time or daylight saving time).

"Not much wildlife" is not quite true...it depends whether you are inner city, suburban, suburban/bush fringe...or completely rural. I wouldn't let a dog off leash where there might be snakes.

I think thats why we have chosen melbourne - as i've heard you still get seasons but weather stays pretty warm! hopefully not to much snow.

Aus is very dog friendly, always best to keep them on a lead though. There are designated dog beaches and parks and lots of places where you can take a dog, in Perth anyway, not sure about Melbourne but can't see it being a lot different.

I'd say go on a 3 month holiday visa first to see if you like the weather, county and lifestyle. If you do then apply for your WHV. Remember you only get one WHV per country per life time and once you enter the time starts ticking and does stop if you leave the country so you cant go home after a month or 2 and then use the 'remaining 10 months' another time.

IMHO I wouldnt waste a WHV as a reccie trip.

Each to their own though.

We came to brisbane 3 years ago on a temporary visa. We had no kids, no real ties in the UK apart from family. I had a job on the Skills list, it seemed like the perfect time to give it a go. We weren't 100% sure we would stay but we figured even if it all went belly up, what an experience to have, and at least we would know where we want to settle.

If we'd have stayed in the UK I would always have wondered if we made the right decision, and once you start thinking about Australia it's difficult to let it go. I didn't want to get to 50 or even older with a family and reminisce about the days we could have gone to australia but didn't. You would look back and seriously kick yourself.

There are so many people who want to come here but can't because the noose is tightening with regards to the job market and immigration etc.

I'm not saying it's easy, it is hard to be away from family and you will miss the UK, but the only person who knows if it's for you, is you. Everyone's circumstances are different.

Doing a reccie isn't always the answer either- the place you see in 3 weeks - on holiday, is very different to actually living in a place. It wasn't worth it for us, so we just came having never set foot in Brisbane before. Sure, we researched where we were moving to, the good and the bad but we also didn't set ourselves up with the attitude of 'we have to make this work'. We were open minded and saw the experience as that, a great experience.

For our part, we have no regrets. Australia has given us the lifestyle we wanted and we have achieved much more here than we ever could have had in the UK. We applied for our PR last year and are looking forwards to becoming australian citizens next year.

We are also lucky in the sense that our family are able and willing to visit us too, which they have done in the past few years. This makes a difference.

All the best with your decision!

Thank you thats very helpful !

Do you actually believe this or are just stirring?! Ridiculous, either way!

Seen 2 snakes in nearly 50 years and both of those in the last 12 months. Find it funny when poms carry on about 'scary wildlife', obviously led very sheltered lives, as most poms do of course

Archived