Pregnant while on WHV in australia! Advice needed

Laurencw

So basically no matter what happens, if my child is born in Australia my partner could always stop me or atleast try to stop me leaving the country to go back to the uk?

And for example if we broke up after 3 years of my partner visa would I also be asked to leave?

As I said before, once you have PR you cannot be told to leave the country if you then split up......... You do seemed more concerned about that aspect rather than the fact that if your child is born here and you split up and you want to go back to the UK to live, your partner can stop the baby leaving.Then you are stuck in another country without family support.

Think carefully about what you are doing.

Edited by Sammy1

The ££££ doesn't worry me too much, I would be happy and understand that I would have to pay some things during the pregnancy as thats what is expected having a child in another country.

Whereas if the baby was born in england and then in the future i moved to australia he couldn't stop the baby leaving? is that correct or?

and thank you!

Nope. If you decide to move to Australia in the future then he could stop you leaving if you (well your child) then decided to move back to the UK. The baby would still have rights of Aussie citizenship.

I'm about to have my baby with my Aussie partner, any day now! Same as you we had only been together for ten months before I became pregnant. I'm on a 457 visa and have a PR application pending through my employer so slightly different situation, however I'm not entitled to paid parental leave but we are looking into the appeal system as advised by the family assistance office (once PR is through). With Medicare and the public system your maternity care (including scans) is covered and you won't pay anything.

congratularions! I'm currently expecting my first. :-)

it seems that what things are covered by Medicare depends on what state you are in, what dr you have, and where you get sent for scans. Many Aussies seem to pay for scans (that aren't in the hospital) where as others they are all covered. I just got the referral for a nt scan and the dr said she had to put the exact wording in so that they wouldn't charge me. I'm 35 so it can be counted as necessary. Younger and it seems here you have to pay for them. If it wasn't for my age my first scan would be at 19 weeks according to my hospital, but would be free.

I spoke to an Aussie last week going to the same hospital as me and they had to pay for their nt scan, and are over 35, so it's all very hit and miss.

We had our baby last week, though the public system in NSW. We had to pay for scans, but got part of the cost back through Medicare. If we had been able to have them at the hospital they would have been free, but they were fully booked. For the NT scan the wording about the mother being of 'advanced age' makes you eligible for the Medicare rebate.

We had our baby last week, though the public system in NSW. We had to pay for scans, but got part of the cost back through Medicare. If we had been able to have them at the hospital they would have been free, but they were fully booked. For the NT scan the wording about the mother being of 'advanced age' makes you eligible for the Medicare rebate.

My dr didn't put the advanced age bit, but put something about abnormalities which she said meant I could have it on Medicare. She did say it was all in the wording. Crazy. You'd think they could just look at your age.

And congratulations. :-)

it seems that what things are covered by Medicare depends on what state you are in, what dr you have, and where you get sent for scans. Many Aussies seem to pay for scans (that aren't in the hospital) where as others they are all covered. I just got the referral for a nt scan and the dr said she had to put the exact wording in so that they wouldn't charge me. I'm 35 so it can be counted as necessary. Younger and it seems here you have to pay for them. If it wasn't for my age my first scan would be at 19 weeks according to my hospital, but would be free.

I spoke to an Aussie last week going to the same hospital as me and they had to pay for their nt scan, and are over 35, so it's all very hit and miss.

Just In case no one else has picked up your lovely news, congratulations.

Congratulations to you too Blossom!

Congratulations to you too! This is my first too, excited/nervous :) there does seem to be a lot of variation within the public system. I'm in Melbourne and had multiple scans early on for various issues (all resolved now) and they were all covered. My NT was also covered & I'm 32. I trained as a Midwife in the UK a long time ago (didn't complete it) & find services so different here - both good & bad, but when I hear of how much some women pay in the private system I'm very grateful that public exists here for me and I really cannot complain!

Congratulations blossom! Another mod baby!

The nt measurement is now done at the 12 wk dating scan in the UK for everyone who wants To do the NT test. My friend that Lives in NYC got the new blood test to check abnormalities because she was 35. Need to pay £700 for same test in UK.

Thanks everyone. :-)

WOW that's pricey for the blood test. I'm guessing I'm having the same one? I have to have the blood test within 24 hours of the scan at between 10-13 weeks.

I had the blood test too, it's a different one. They take the nt measurement and blood test result to give you a statistic ratio. The blood test my friend got finds the baby's DNA in mums blood so do full test so no need for amnio.

I had the blood test too, it's a different one. They take the nt measurement and blood test result to give you a statistic ratio. The blood test my friend got finds the baby's DNA in mums blood so do full test so no need for amnio.

Do you mean the Harmony test? It's available in Aus too (bloods are sent to US) and costs around $800 - $1000 & is 99% effective in picking up several trisomies compared to the combined test which is much less effective. Plus you do not have the any risk of miscarriage as per amnio. They are talking about rolling it out in the NHS in the next few years - dont imagine it would be available on Medicare for a long time, if ever!

A child within the relationship will also waive the 12 month relationship requirement, but only once the child is here.

With the amount of time that you have been together you will only be granted a temporary partner visa at first if you are still with your partner after 2 years you will be granted the PR partner visa. Therefore if you split up before the PR partner visa is granted you will need to leave Australia, this is where it get complicated as your child will be an Australian citizen the father can stop the child from leaving Australia.

There are potential options on a partner visa application to proceed to PR should the relationship break down after the application has been made in cases where there is a child from the relationship.

Also to remember: a WHV holder should not "be accompanied by dependent children at any time during their stay in Australia" .

Do you mean the Harmony test? It's available in Aus too (bloods are sent to US) and costs around $800 - $1000 & is 99% effective in picking up several trisomies compared to the combined test which is much less effective. Plus you do not have the any risk of miscarriage as per amnio. They are talking about rolling it out in the NHS in the next few years - dont imagine it would be available on Medicare for a long time, if ever!
yes that's the one - I couldn't remember the name.