Why would anyone go to Adelaide?

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

That's the question being asked by Victorian Opposition Leader Daniel Andrews who is disappointed the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will visit the city of churches, but not Melbourne.

The royal couple will visit the northern Adelaide suburb of Elizabeth, which is named after the prince's grandmother on April 23.

Mr Andrews is shocked Melbourne has been snubbed and blames Premier Denis Napthine.

"How is it that we've got to a situation where the royals would rather visit Adelaide than come to Melbourne," he told reporters.

"What is going on in our state that we can't even attract members of the royal family, to come to Melbourne, to come to Victoria when they visit. Who would want to be going to Adelaide. Apparently the royal family do."

Prince William visited Victoria in 2010, touring areas devastated by the previous year's Black Saturday bushfires.

In 2011 the prince visited Victorian towns affected by floods.

Dr Napthine, who was visiting the fire and smoke weary Victorian town Morwell, said he would have loved for the royal family to come to Victoria and possibly boost the morale of Morwell residents, but he was not surprised.

"We in Victoria have been blessed with a number of royal visits, particularly from Prince William over in the last couple of years, Dr Napthine said.

"We'd love to have them and certainly invite them anytime in the future, particularly to visit Morwell."

Guest The Pom Queen

I can't believe anyone could get upset about where the Royals choose to visit. I hope they avoid Cairns.

Guest Ptp113
Oh I feel bad for Adelaide people they get more stick than Frankston. Yeah it's boring compared to Melbourne and Sydney so they have to have something to look forward to.

Church central and weird murder capital of Oz. Not sure what the tie up is but somebody will know?

Please stop knocking Adelaide, having never visit Australia before, I now live here and there is always stacks to do, just having a dip in the pool after a lovely 31 degree day - no humidity, fringe show tomorrow, waterskiing on the murray river the weekend, wine tasting in the Barossa, you can do as much or as little as you want, we're here for a more relaxed way of life, housing is affordable, and to be honest if i wanted to work to live i'd have stayed in London, different places suit different people and while it may not be everyones cup of tea its now my home and I love it. :)

Most people haven't even visited here, so please everyone respect everyone elses choices or maybe come to Adelaide and see what its all about

Debbie

If I had a choice, I'd live in Adelaide over anywhere else in Oz. Bagging it seems to be the national sport & I can't think why - seems to have the lot including beautiful beaches (rather than our Brisbane swamps, which, fun as they are don't compare). Great festival, good food, proximity to hills and Vineyards. Maybe everyone's jealous?

I think it's more to the point why Elizabeth? Just saying

Because the town is named after his Grandmother so a mark of respect I guess and a nice surprise for most of the people who live there. To be honest I wouldn't fancy their itinerary, they are going to be very busy and tired. It's not exactly a holiday is it, jumping from one place to another and having to be jolly and happy all the time. I'll bet if truth be told they would love to spend a week on the Gold coast, visiting theme parks and no-one bothering them.

I wouldn't swap lifestyles, that's for sure. They do a good job.

I think it's more to the point why Elizabeth? Just saying

Apparently they are meeting young people at Northern Sound System. I have no idea what Northern Sound System is but it sounds like some kind of scheme to keep troubled youngsters off the streets and would be just the kind of thing the Royals like to visit.

It's ok you don't get the joke.

Because the town is named after his Grandmother so a mark of respect I guess and a nice surprise for most of the people who live there. To be honest I wouldn't fancy their itinerary, they are going to be very busy and tired. It's not exactly a holiday is it, jumping from one place to another and having to be jolly and happy all the time. I'll bet if truth be told they would love to spend a week on the Gold coast, visiting theme parks and no-one bothering them.

I wouldn't swap lifestyles, that's for sure. They do a good job.

I hope the security is better in Adelaide than Melbourne. In the early 80s I was in the Melbourne CBD when I noticed a big crowd of people. I pushed my way to the front of the crowd to see what was going on and there was Charles and Di doing a street walk meet and greet. There was bugger all security - any nutter could have taken a shot at them.

Charles and Camilla came to Melbourne in November 2012 and opened the spring racing carnival and Melbourne Cup - i remember as it was the week i emigrated here and we watched them on TV.

So it's not like Vic doesnt get Royal visits.

I hope the security is better in Adelaide than Melbourne. In the early 80s I was in the Melbourne CBD when I noticed a big crowd of people. I pushed my way to the front of the crowd to see what was going on and there was Charles and Di doing a street walk meet and greet. There was bugger all security - any nutter could have taken a shot at them.

But the beauty of Australia, even a big city like Melbourne, is that no one would have done. Even if they didn't like them.

Archived