Qantas Axing thousands of jobs

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

QANTAS is expected to announce thousands of job losses at its interim results on Thursday as part of moves to slash costs by $2 billion over three years and end a profit nosedive that will see it lose as much as $300 million before tax.

The airline signalled in December that it would cut at least 1000 jobs, but The Weekend Australian understands there will be significant additional losses. Qantas last night described a rumoured figure of 3000 as “unsubstantiated” but declined to give a number, although one source put it as high as 6000.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should be no problems ... After all didnt Tony Abbot promise 1,000,000 new jobs in his first term of office , and what with half price electricity with the axing of Carbon Tax we'll all be laughing .... Seriously , I'm very upset with the way Qantas is going and my heart goes out to all those who stand to be affected . Qantas is in deep trouble and it's not beyond the realms of reality that it may go out of business .

Dave C

QANTAS is expected to announce thousands of job losses at its interim results on Thursday as part of moves to slash costs by $2 billion over three years and end a profit nosedive that will see it lose as much as $300 million before tax.

The airline signalled in December that it would cut at least 1000 jobs, but The Weekend Australian understands there will be significant additional losses. Qantas last night described a rumoured figure of 3000 as “unsubstantiated” but declined to give a number, although one source put it as high as 6000.

with my limited knowledge , it appears the likes of emirates are cornering the market ......cant people see whats going on ......If you are Australian and proud of it ( as iam sure most of you are ) ......why are you using other airlines ?.......it should be Qantas or nothing ......keep your own people in jobs....

Qantas is part of the Aussie culture ....support it or it will go .

Guest Guest40285
with my limited knowledge , it appears the likes of emirates are cornering the market ......cant people see whats going on ......If you are Australian and proud of it ( as iam sure most of you are ) ......why are you using other airlines ?.......it should be Qantas or nothing ......keep your own people in jobs....

Price of flights for a start, BA have a share in Qantas as well

I think they need to give up on the 49% (51% ?) Australian ownership rule and let it compete on a pure commercial basis against its rivals.

Right now it's boxing with one arm behind its back and will continue to do so until things change.

I do hope any job losses are kept to a minimum but the rumours are not good.

The problem Qantas face is the fact that they have a credit rating of " junk status " ... It begs the question " who would invest in them " .. They may have problems gaining foreign investors if indeed they are allowed to , and couple with that they possibly wouldnt be able to acquire funds anyway with that credit rating , and you can now see why they are so keen to get government assurances of debt guarantees .. They have a massive wage imbalance compared with the likes of Emirates and Singapore Airlines who average around $45000/ annum per employee , Qantas wage average per employee is over $90000/annum .... Qantas has a multitude of problems and putting bums on seats wont save them this time around sadly ..

Dave C

Guest Guest40285
I think one of the problems with Qantas has been extremely poor management. Alan Joyce has not been good for them- time for him to go but too late now to save it. No doubt he will get a large golden handshake when they finally wake up and get rid of him- not deserved at all.

The other bloke before Alan Joyce was an idiot as well

Last time I flew Qantas the service was terrible. Emirates is better and cheaper. It's a no brainer.

Thing is my family and I have just come back from a holiday in Sydney and we flew Cathay Pacific. The flights for Xmas / New Year with Visa's and admin was £1282 each.

We wanted to fly Qantus, in fact it was the first airline we looked at, and for exactly the same flight program as Cathay they wanted £1650 per person before admin and visas.

Now had the price been a bit more competitive then I would have paid just that little more but £400 extra per person I could not justify it.

So in that respect Qantas lost our custom and Cathay did a good job.

They had a 40% market share in the early 90's and now it's 17% and dropping. They also have a labour intensive work force, particularly in middle management, when compared to other airlines. Rumour has it that they are in such a bad state that they are even looking at leasing out their new aircraft and cutting their most lucrative flight routes in a bid to stop the haemorrhaging. I hope, for the sake of their remaining staff they sort out their issues. The way I see it, selling a large chunk of the business and restructuring the overall management seems to be the best/only solution. I have flown Qantas many times and I find the cabin staff to be amazing, but I would choose to fly one of the Asian airlines for quality, comfort and cost.

Years ago Qantas was the best but I think they got a bit complacent. They are still ok but nothing extra and they don't seem to be particularly customer oriented. I once sat near the stewardess's part and could hear them saying 'oh, rack off' when people pressed their buzzers. Not a good look.

I think they could do with shedding a few jobs and bringing their prices down. Everytime you go into the airport there are loads of Qantas staff standing about doing nothing(and probably well paid) at the self checkins surely a couple would do! If they can shed so many jobs they are definately overstaffed anyway.

I think one of the problems with Qantas has been extremely poor management. Alan Joyce has not been good for them- time for him to go but too late now to save it. No doubt he will get a large golden handshake when they finally wake up and get rid of him- not deserved at all.

Agree totally with that comment. Alan Joyce has not been good for Qantas in any way.

A lot of their issues are also linked very closely to the snobbish and rude attitude to their cabin crew staff. I stopped using them as my preferred airline of choice about 10 years ago and now fly internationally with anyone who can give me a cheaper fare, and within Australia prefer Virgin for so many reasons.

Jetstar is the "cheapie" arm of Qantas and I get the feeling that the major Qantas airline is being sacrificed to keep Jetstar going as a business as it is seen as more profitable in the long term. Maybe Joyce was put in to kill the airline so Jetstar could take over? There was a lot of talk about this happening when he was first appointed and I have wondered ever since if it was true as Qantas has hit the skids since the pintsized plonker took over!

Last time I flew with them, the trolly dollys were rude as, I wrote a letter of complaint, but never heard anything back

And you won't Mattw. My son used to fly with Qantas every week for business all over Australia and was a Platinum Frequent Flyer. He has had so many issues with them and their rudeness at all levels over the last year year, that in exasperation he wrote a massive email in January complaining. Three weeks went past and he didnt even have a reply to acknowledge his lengthy detailed complaints..... so he sent the email again.... and again... and again.... and finally received a one line email in reply thanking him for his comments... no further contact from them at all. He is now flying with Virgin - loving their service from cabin staff right down to the desk at check in, and loving even more his cheaper flights. He was spending in excess of $20,000 per year with Qantas (including international flights) and will never ever use them again. He is not alone as many of his work colleagues are doing the same. So don't hold your breath waiting for a reply, cos if you get one, it will be the brush off that my son received. Qantas has a culture issue within its ranks and until (or if) that is sorted, they are heading no-where but the skids.

As some of you know, I fly a lot and have the choice of emirates, Qantas or south African. Have to say Qantas would be my third choice by a long way. Poor service, poor business offerings and poor lounges. But are often the most expensive. I have just booked my next set of flights. Emirates were $8900, SA, were $8600 but Qantas were $10100. So emirates were a no brainer. They would have to be $1000 cheaper to make it worth while as emirates offer free private transfers between airport and home, chairs are better, food is better, service better, platinum status offers more.

But why pay more for an inferior service... no brainer really! Consumers will vote with their feet and dollars.

Guest Guest40285
And you won't Mattw. My son used to fly with Qantas every week for business all over Australia and was a Platinum Frequent Flyer. He has had so many issues with them and their rudeness at all levels over the last year year, that in exasperation he wrote a massive email in January complaining. Three weeks went past and he didnt even have a reply to acknowledge his lengthy detailed complaints..... so he sent the email again.... and again... and again.... and finally received a one line email in reply thanking him for his comments... no further contact from them at all. He is now flying with Virgin - loving their service from cabin staff right down to the desk at check in, and loving even more his cheaper flights. He was spending in excess of $20,000 per year with Qantas (including international flights) and will never ever use them again. He is not alone as many of his work colleagues are doing the same. So don't hold your breath waiting for a reply, cos if you get one, it will be the brush off that my son received. Qantas has a culture issue within its ranks and until (or if) that is sorted, they are heading no-where but the skids.

I have sent 10 emails to date, I wont give up, Im flying to the UK at the end of July with BA, but its operated by qantas, not looking forward to it, but it was way cheper than anyone else, I normally fly Singapore but this year they wer $1650 dearer, Oh well, will just have to take more vallium and drink more

How much was this Joyce paid? Handsomely.

Archived