Prices - what surprised you and shocked you the most?

richselina

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
good my sons are up there now picking!

Yes but in comparison to other Aussie grown stuff too assume decent wages for that as well.

they do seem out of proportion.

Always found that strange too. You see lemon tress in peoples gardens absolutely full of fruit with lemons rotting away on the garden. People bring them in to work free, along with a lot of other fruit. Not as if we use them a lot though, odd gin and tonic and a side for fish. That's about it, so don't buy many.

I'm with wolveaussie. The beer in pubs is expensive.

I'm surprised how expensive beer is... in the uk!

the average aussie has to work about 20 mins to earn a pint. the average brit would have to work more like a half hour.

There used to be a website that converted you salary into how many pints it would buy you in each country. If you were a youngster travelling that would be invaluable.:wink:

I think the cinema is expensive. $20 a time normally. Bread and bottled water I find is expensive. Unless you want to buy the $1 coles bread obviously... I think eating out is just as cheap or as much as buying things from the supermarket. Chicken is expensive. Nuts are stupid prices.

We go to Hoyt's cinema in brisbane heaps. Always find promotions 2 for $15 tickets except can't go on a Saturday night. We activated a offer that gives us 2 for $15 till end of July. Flyby points too get you cheap tickets, works out $10 a ticket(4000) points I think wifey said. It's like everything in both countries, shop around and don't go for all the imported products when you get to oz. I know I'm a tight ass. Don't go shopping in small convenient shops either.You pay for it usually.

Out of interest how much does the cinema cost you? We've been a few times and think it's really expensive.

It's cheaper if you have a loyalty card.

We have one for Grand Cinemas so pay $12 for a normal screening as opposed to $22 without the card. Card is $60 (I think) but you get a couple of free tickets and popcorn upgrades etc. so pays itself off really quickly even if you go once a month (as a family).

I think the cinema is expensive. $20 a time normally. Bread and bottled water I find is expensive. Unless you want to buy the $1 coles bread obviously... I think eating out is just as cheap or as much as buying things from the supermarket. Chicken is expensive. Nuts are stupid prices.

Tight arse Tuesday is only $11 here BC. Same price every night if you get a Grand Card. Oops just read the above, might be $12.

However, mozzarella cheese is an exception to that 40p in Tesco, $6 here.

I'd always expect to pay a fair chunk more for actual buffalo mozarella. That price is on par with good UK stuff. If it's made with cows milk and $6 then :( I'd shop around as I've found excellent buffalo mozarella here.

The trouble we used to have was we still had English prices in our heads, once you get passed that and start earning Aussie wages it usually works out the same or less for a lot of things here.

That's the problem I had. Just come back from two weeks in Sydney and my chin hit the floor in the supermarket when I was asked for $99 for what wasn't a lot but in actual fact it was half the price in £ but I couldn't take it in. Cannot compute ! Cannot compute ! :biglaugh:

Expensive stuff;

Tyres and car maintenance. And bear in mind if you buy a great big car, the costs may rise more than exponentially. Don’t necessarily find the cost of the cars too expensive, 2nd hand one yeah, but you’ll get most of it back when you sell it anyway.

Dentist. Go for check-ups but have not had some work done due to costs.

Fines. Speeding etc. cost a fortune.

Stuff in the petrol station. Don’t buy anything from them other than petrol.

Workmen. Costs a fortune to get anyone to do anything and they’re usually incompetent. That’s if they can be arsed in the first place.

Eating out food & drink is overpriced in some places, not all though.

Can’t say much else bothers me.

Archived