Perth (like or dislike)

Wannabeinaussie

We are making the big move to Perth this year, I have read some really bad things on perth, am I making a mistake??

I read on one forum, children aged 13 starting bush fires?? Racism is quite bad? Don't go out after 6pm as it's like a ghost town??

Perth isn't going to be for everyone I understand that just have a few concerns!!

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the place people love to hate - even when they've never been. It is an expensive place to live, and during the week things do close around about 10pm in the suburbs. There probably was a child set a fire ... if you look at every other state you'll probably find something similar - the Kelmscott fires were started by an adult using an angle grinder and sparks flew off and ignited bush.

What are your exact concerns?

We arrived with an 11 and 7 year old, my eldest is 19 next week and our youngest 14 - they and we love it here

We have a boy aged 2 years, We want the best life for him and us, what I have read is shocking, children turning into thugs, been looking at cost of living and I no it's expensive but have read if you haven't got a really highly paid job you have no chance of affording it here, run down streets, shops etc, new arrivals coming to perth not being able to fit it!!

So Perth is the only place with naughty kids?

Only racism I have seen has been directed at the "white settlers"

everywhere closing at 6pm? You are having a laugh aren't you. If I had walked into one of my locals back in the UK on a Wednesday night it would have been dead, a few weeks ago I was out with another member on here midweek, one of the places we wanted to go to we Didnt go in as it was full and no seats left. Also coming home late on the train from a night out in the CBD at the weekend was standing room only.

Perth has its share of problems but its def not as backward as people like to make out.

I will agree that it can be expensive ......and windy

I understand there is good and bad everywhere, maybe I just clicked on a bad forum as everything I read previously was all good!!

There are certain people who operate on here, get banned, and re-surface on other forums, who's whole life seems to revolve around dissing perth in particular, and Oz generally. Occasionally, they'll throw in a good word, or a post illustrating their supposedly 'social conscience' so as to throw you off the scent and lead you to thinking that they're not such a bad guy after all.

Stick around here, and other forums, (if you have the time), and you'll recognise them instantly by their posting style and the fact that they invariably slip up and post an almost identical post to what they have posted elsewhere...................more often than not, "lifted" from elsewhere via a google.

I think most of the close too early complaints must be from people who live way out in suburbia and are un willing to travel out. There probably isn't much to do in the evening if this is your mindset.

Well yes it is expensive for certain things ie eating and drinking out....but so many free or cheap things to do as a family too so should even things out.

Friends of ours are managing and having a great life, ie house with pool, near beach, out every weekend etc. They are a family of five on one wage of $85,000. Child care is another thing that seems to be really expensive out here.

There are people that like cheese and those that don't. And those that don't will tell you its awful, not nice, horrible, doesn't agree with them and many more descriptives. Those that like it will say is fab, tastes good, agrees with them etc. Same for tomatoes, tuna, cats, and so on. Same for Perth. Or anywhere else I'd wager.

Plenty of people on here are happy in Perth from what I read on this forum, bringing up families and so on. And yes some migrate there and are not happy for whatever reasons or reasons. Not every place suits every person.

Also remember like any major city in Aus, the suburban sprawl is there. So it really can make a difference where you live, how far 'out' from the actual city you are if that is important to you or not and so many other things. Like moving anywhere you've never visited, its taking a leap into the unknown. You may love it, you may not. End of the day only you will know once you are there.

If you are really unsure I'd suggest a reccie if you can afford it. Find out for yourselves.

Its a huge place too, running from the far northern suburbs down to the far southern. Probably a 3 hour drive from one to the other. Its all classed as Perth but some suburbs can be so vastly different from others. People's tastes vary so much. Many will give their opinions on suburbs they have never even been to, or did a drive through once. When we first arrived and did some driving around ,we saw a few suburbs and thought yuk wouldn't want to live here. Since revisiting we couldn't have been more wrong.Have an open mind and just do lots and lots of research. Try Perth POM's too.

The original question was 'like or dislike', so like is my answer. There are bad bits, sure, but the good bits far out way those. There are thugs, sure, but no different from anywhere else in the world, the lowlifes will try and ruin a good thing, stronger prison sentences would sort that out. Run down areas, sure, but the modern areas and estates, far out way those, and it is a city on the up. As said, if you are unsure, come for a looksee, drive along the sunset road, and feel the vibes on the place. But hey, if you are the type of person who believes a couple of bad posts, then choose somewhere else. Perth is lovely.

You have to visit first because everyone will just give you THEIR opinion, facts are yes kids start fires but you will find that in other states too, there are times when Perth is dead quiet at night yes all these things you must accept. Living somewhere is completely different from holidaying so don't come with the rose tinted glasses and look at everything logically. Good luck!

Guest Guest26012

Love it or hate it, we love it. If you believe everything negative you read on an Internet forum then maybe your worries will make it difficult for you to come here and be successful migrant?

Theres about a million.threads like this. To the OP Wannabeassie please do a simple search and you will find these. As for places not open after 6pm? Yes the Post Office and Banks come to mind. I wouldnt say its a ghost town unless you mean Midland after 7...

Guest Guest66881

I like the diversity of the place it's ruggedness and flexibility, the shops are good varied and lots of them great areas surrounding the place:wink:

We are making the big move to Perth this year, I have read some really bad things on perth, am I making a mistake??

I read on one forum, children aged 13 starting bush fires?? Racism is quite bad? Don't go out after 6pm as it's like a ghost town??

Perth isn't going to be for everyone I understand that just have a few concerns!!

Everywhere has good and bad, Perth isn't utopia by any stretch of the imagination! Only you know why you are moving in the first place, so only you will know if you are making a mistake. But don't think that Perth doesn't have it's share of first world problems - it does. Yes there are bush fires occasionally, most (I think) start accidentally, but others are bored pyrotechnics (adults or children) who get their kicks out of seeing things burn. Racism.... hmm well, yeah maybe. Aussies I know certainly don't like the aboriginals, but that's a debate I don't really get into. To be fair the aboriginals don't really like the aussies all that much either! I think most 'suburbs' will be pretty quiet after 6pm. Try wandering around any suburb street in the UK at 6pm and I doubt you'll find much going on. It has gotten better over the past few years, head into the CBD, or Freo and you'll find plenty going on until late into the evening. But to be honest once you've got home from work, had some dinner and a glass of wine, I don't think you'll need a happening suburb.

I like it because, it's warm, the sky is blue, the beaches white, the ocean turquoise and I have more disposable income than I did in the UK.

Archived