Teachers Moving or Living in Australia

TeacherBen

Hey all

Thought I might join in this thread :)

I have a bit of a different perspective, you see. I've been quiet(er) around these boards of late. I've been in Qld for 4 years this year. I came here when I was 18 with my family as a PR and started Uni after ~9 months of being here. I'm doing a Bachelor of Arts/Education (Secondary) combined, so maybe I can share insights as to what it's like to train as a teacher in Australia at a different level, hopefully it might help some realize some of the differences and realities of the education system here (at least in Qld - it's different in each state!)

If people have questions, do feel free to ask. I'm only just starting second year this year. I took an IT degree first. I know a lot of people doing Graduate Diploma of Education as well.

It's going to be interesting as I wasn't schooled in Aus (to any level!) - did my GCSEs and A Levels in the UK, came here, 9 month break, dive in to University (Bachelor of Information Technology), hated it, changed to BA/BEd. Good move. :)

So if people have insights of teaching here in Aus already as well I'd be interested to read more :)

Yes schools all follow the same policy there I think - have to resign by certain dates. We decided once we know visa is granted we will resign for sept and supply until we leave that way no notice needs to be worked. We may be able to get supply in our current schools.

Aug-Nov is the main time, I would say Oct was the busiest time so maybe if you get here Oct 1 you will be ok, but I would recommend being here in September if you could. Really the timing is perfect, you finish up school in July in the UK then head on over in Aug or beginning of Sep right to the main job season.. Dont come Jan 1 :)

I suppose though you could always apply as if you were in Australia and hopefully by the time they call you for interview (3 weeks?? later) you actually will be.

A few jobs start coming out in June, but the main time is July and August. By November schools have selected staff or put them into their pools - depending on the state. Only the odd job will be advertised later than this,October/November is really too late.

Anyone know what month/time of year the most jobs are advertised? We are hoping to make the move quicker than origionallg planned and were going to go sept but my husbands sister is getting married in October so we are thinking we should wait until after the wedding. Is October going to be a stupid time to get jobs do you think?

July and August is the main time.

There's some great help here so a big thank you. I'm heading over to WA in August but as I am aware primary jobs are over-subscribed, as in the UK, I'm going to look at teaching remote to start with so I can earn my stripes and then hopefully move to a metropolitan area after that.

If anyone has any info on teaching remote, I'd be keen to hear. I am aware that it is anything but easy!

• 3 weeks later...
I arrived in Sydney on Xmas Day. I was lucky as I arrived on my girlfriend's 457 visa, her company paid for agents and visa fees. I've gained provisional accreditation to teach in NSW and I am awaiting accreditation from the CEO (Catholic Education Office), I applied 1st week of Jan and I'm still waiting.

I haven't got much teaching experience (2 years as a Secondary History/RE teacher, 1 year as Coordinator of PSHE), so on paper not a bad CV for my first 2 years.

I've applied for 15 job and nothing. I received a handwritten letter from a Principal which said something along the lines of, "Very impressive CV, you've put a lot off effort in but we don't want to take your application any further"

I've been in contact with SMART Teachers, I'm registered but they said I've arrived at the wrong time of year and that supply/cover will pick up in term 2.

In a nutshell, the feeling I'm getting is there are too many teachers and not enough jobs(In the majority of subject areas). A bit of a sweeping statement, I know. There does seem to be more maths/science jobs.

Luckily my gf is "keeping me", I am going to continue applying but eventually I'll have to get a job (ANYTHING!) because I'll go crazy

Good Luck to you all (you may need it)

Don't lose heart

I also arrived the same time of year as you and was really lucky with the one job I applied for. Many people recommend taking your CV around the schools in person so you can put a face to the name. Even if you don't make it past reception at least it demonstrates pro activity.

Something will come up for you

Millie x

Out of interest, how does this earning your stripes in the bush work? If you go to an interveiw and say I am currently working in the bush do they legally have to appoint you over another candidate they may have liked better at interview?

That's a good question, especially as the previous poster wants to 'earn his stripes in the bush' in WA before going metro. Unfortunately (for some) that is no longer the case in WA at all!!!!

It used to be that if you did two years remote that you were automatically placed in a metro Perth school after that. Well, those days are long gone.....

More and more government schools are gaining independent status, which basically means instead of central office placing teachers, the schools themselves advertise pools and then choose exactly who they want to work in their school.

This is called merit select and is a system I love as it gives the control back to the job applicant as to where they would like to apply and obviously live and work.

What this means is that high calibre graduates can work in a metro school instead of automatically being sent to the middle of nowhere. It also means that mediocre teachers have to up their game. It's a competitive field out there. A remote job for two years used to guarantee permanency in a metro school, not anymore.

Edited by Sammy1

There's some great help here so a big thank you. I'm heading over to WA in August but as I am aware primary jobs are over-subscribed, as in the UK, I'm going to look at teaching remote to start with so I can earn my stripes and then hopefully move to a metropolitan area after that.

If anyone has any info on teaching remote, I'd be keen to hear. I am aware that it is anything but easy!

The remote school service employs highly qualified staff. There is no 'earning your stripes' anymore. If you want to work in a Perth school, then you are better off doing that to begin with. Two years in the bush used to guarantee a metro job, that is no longer the case.

The remote service only wants to employ teaching staff who have a passion for Indigenous education and the experience to go with it. It is important to note the difference between regional and remote teaching.

The remote school service employs highly qualified staff. There is no 'earning your stripes' anymore. If you want to work in a Perth school, then you are better off doing that to begin with. Two years in the bush used to guarantee a metro job, that is no longer the case.

The remote service only wants to employ teaching staff who have a passion for Indigenous education and the experience to go with it. It is important to note the difference between regional and remote teaching.

Thanks for the info. I can't claim to have any experience but government websites still have these facts on them. Maybe I was being naive but I also spoke to a person at the remote recruitment office in WA when I did a validation trip last year and was told a few times that the pool of teachers runs dry most years. I'm not looking at this as an easy way in. I genuinely think the experience would be awesome although I would be trying for a metropolitan job at the same time. I'm just keen to get involved and see how teaching in Australia compares to the UK.

Hi,

So many questions because I've just made the decision to get the ball rolling and move to Oz. I am a primary trained teacher 4 years experience (supply and permanent posts). I want to come over based on my skill. So my questions-

1. Do I need to apply to be recognised by a state as a teacher?

2. What type of visa should I apply for? I know WA have primary teachers on their skills list.

3. How do I get the ball rolling? I want to be in australia by mid to late 2016.

I have information overload and I am completely lost.

Kayleigh

Kayleigh, break it down into steps.

1 - contact a migration agent for professional advice.

My process was - book agent

Apply to AITSL - this is the agency that confirms your ability to teach in oz. You need to have done a pgce or a 4 year education degree. 3 year bed isn't enough. GTP etc haven't been valid in the past but there are changes coming in that area I think.

AITSL is your skills assessment that is used for your visa application. This takes around 12 weeks. An agent can explain your visa options.

189 - Permanent resident - freedom of states etc

190 - state sponsored permenant resident - I think (not 100%) that you are tied to a state for 2 years before you can move about. If you are looking at the lists for primary school teacher I think the 190 may be your best option but professionals and moderators may offer more info on this.

Further down the line it is necessary to register with the state you want to teach in. I had to send all the same paperwork to QCT (queensland college of teachers) as I did to AITSL. Another 12 week process.

You also need to do IELTS. This is an English proficiency test that helps boost points for application.

Lots to consider, hope it helps :)

Last thing - lots will tell you that there is an over supply on primary school teachers in oz. Difficult to secure work. Common thread on teacher posts. This does potentially impact the lists as you never have the guarantee something will stay on the list. Food for thought.

Hi guys. I am an American teacher working in the UK. I earned my Bachelor of Education in Perth and worked as a teacher in Perth before coming to the UK for awhile. Currently waiting on my graduation certificate so I can submit all my paperwork to AITSL (despite the fact I have an Aussie degree- rubbish!). I already have a Working With Children check and I'm registered in WA as a teacher, so I just need the formality of getting PR :)

I'm also planning to schedule my IELTS soon. This test has me extremely nervous! How did everyone else find it?