Question about Australian weather

The4of us

Hi again,

Just wanted to ask about how the weather in Australia made people feel in comparison to the UK. I've seen lots of posts where people talk about the weather enabling a better outdoor lifestyle but I was wondering a bit more about how it impacts on emotions. My husband gets very fed up with the dull grey days that we have so often in Britain and I have noticed that on bright days (not necessarily warm but at least not cloudy) I get a lot more done and feel much more positive. I was wondering if anyone found they 'felt good' much more often in Australia due to the sunny days ... or maybe whether the effect wears off quite quick?

Hope I've posted this in the correct place.:unsure:

Evie

Hi again,

Just wanted to ask about how the weather in Australia made people feel in comparison to the UK. I've seen lots of posts where people talk about the weather enabling a better outdoor lifestyle but I was wondering a bit more about how it impacts on emotions. My husband gets very fed up with the dull grey days that we have so often in Britain and I have noticed that on bright days (not necessarily warm but at least not cloudy) I get a lot more done and feel much more positive. I was wondering if anyone found they 'felt good' much more often in Australia due to the sunny days ... or maybe whether the effect wears off quite quick?

Evie

It depends, sometimes when it's very hot it's just as bad as when it's cold and dull in the UK. You can't go outside for very long and tend to stay indoors.

We are in Queensland, and find that there are very few days where it's that bad, however we were in Adelaide a couple of weeks ago when it was 46c. After a couple of minutes outside I felt like my sunglasses were starting to burn my forehead. Not pleasant!

Here, autumn winter and spring are the best months. Sometimes weeks on end of clear blue skies and perfect temperatures which allows us to do pretty much whatever we want and not have to worry about what the weather will be like. Summer can be hit and miss. So far we've had some very hot, some very humid, some very cloudy and some very rainy. Typical Queensland summer so I've heard...

Hi again,

Evie

I've said it before and I'll say it again. During the 8 years that I lived in London I suffered from SAD (seasonal affective disorder). During the 2 years that I've been living in Perth Australia, I've suffered from HAPPY. Too damn right that the warm sunny weather lifts you up emotionally - I love it. Sunny warm weather does allow you to do so much more of everything, but admittedly, sometimes it can get a tad too hot but that's ok - a few cold beers eliminates that problem.

Australia is such a big country, that you need to be a bit more specific, which state are you planning to go to?

in Perth, for nine months of the year we have perfect blue sky weather, I hate spring here, its rainy, windy, not always overcast, but you do need at least a cardi or fleece.

other side of the coin..we could go to the Northern territories or FNQ for a break during those bad times for better weather, just like you could head to Spain etc.

Although I moan, I've never felt the cold here like I did in the UK ...we rug up, ie put on few more layers, get the ugg boots out, but I've never had to wear a coat

I was about to say the same - you can't really talk about 'Australian' weather - it would be like talking about 'European' weather and to be honest it is probably more varied than that.

We lived in Perth and found the heat as awful as the cold and wet in Scotland. On the positive side it was 'perfect' for 6 months of the year but what I found was after the initial 'honeymoon' it no longer had the same positive affect a sunny day in the UK does.

I think on a sunny day in the UK there is a tendency to put chores to one side, do something fun and relax a little - you can't do that for 6 months! If anything it just made me grumpy having to do all the boring stuff on a nice day :)

There are lots of days with beautiful cloudless blue skies in Adelaide, days that were few and far between in England. However you appreciate and enjoy them more in England because they are so rare. In summer it can get too hot, it can get really unpleasant, ok for a day or so but we had several days over 42 degrees a couple of weeks ago and you are trapped indoors. Even the metal bits on the pegs (on the washing line) get so hot they burn your fingers. Winters here are cold and dull and miserable, without Christmas or anything similar to break the tedium. Houses are not insulated and the cold goes right through you. Outside it is not so cold as the UK but indoors it can get very cold, without the luxury of central heating. Spring and autumn are definately the best weather-wise, but lack the contrast of the seasons - spring isn't really noticeable as most trees here don't lose their leaves in the winter and autumn lacks the autumnal colour. The weather can be particularly nice at the end of the summer and the sea is still warm.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. During the 8 years that I lived in London I suffered from SAD (seasonal affective disorder). During the 2 years that I've been living in Perth Australia, I've suffered from HAPPY. Too damn right that the warm sunny weather lifts you up emotionally - I love it. Sunny warm weather does allow you to do so much more of everything, but admittedly, sometimes it can get a tad too hot but that's ok - a few cold beers eliminates that problem.

Someone suffering from a clinical condition is different than the majority though. It probably made perfect sense for you to move to Perth :)

Glad to hear you are much better now. A have had clinical depression unfortunately the weather doesn't impact me (or maybe fortunately since I prefer the UK!)

It can get cold in certain parts of Australia, and it often feels colder because the homes often lack central heating, double glazing, insulation. On the other hand, in winter, at least in Sydney, it is often sunny and we don't get many of those grey, dank, dull, UK days, when you get up in the dark and come home in the dark. Also, in Sydney, the temperature will fluctuate from 0 degrees to 20 and back again, so it's nice during the middle of the day, not so nice when you get up in the morning.

And of course, summer in Sydney lasts for six months, autumn can be mild to warm, and it's only really June to September when you experience winter. I can swim all year round in Sydney, not more than a quick dip, but I do it. I have heard it is bloody cold in places like Canberra and Orange and Armidale, though?

I'm one who hated the Australian summer and the harsh blue skies. When we had the drought a few years ago I had SAD from the boring monotony of the bright blue skies year after year. It certainly didn't make me happier, just more depressed (it's very sad when you pore over the BOM site praying for a patch of blue on the radar to come and dump on you!). In the summer I would spend most days either in an air conditioned office, car or mall or at home with the doors, windows and curtains closed trying to keep the heat out. It was worse when things didn't cool down at night (and DH refuses to have aircon) and a few sleepless nights did nothing to make mood better. Our house was as well insulated as any but Aus houses are not designed for Canberra (in this case) winters and I was far colder than I have been thus far in 3 UK winters. I've had few days in all that time where I've been stopped from doing something I wanted because of the weather. I walk 3 or 4 days a week and average 5-10 miles most days and haven't felt cold while walking yet and rarely need the Goretex parka but I did wear it yesterday and I just love the variety of weather. So, in essence, UK has been far better for me across the board - outside more, considerably lighter, very much fitter than the blob that left Australia.

edited to say, my Aussie DH who loves the heat was grumbling that it was too hot to work outside a couple of days ago (he's back there on holiday!) that's a first!!!!

Thanks everyone. Sorry I didn't give a specific location - I should have said, it is Brisbane. I can imagine that doing chores on very hot days is draining but was just wondering about whether at least we would all have a much more positive mood - Australians usually come across as mostly happy and upbeat.

Well we've been in Australia just over 18 months and I still feel my heart sing when the sun is out and the skies are blue. Yes when it gets up to 40 it is a bit too hot to do much outside but I find that I am still more motivated generally when it is sunny, even if I'm inside doing jobs. Unless you close all your curtains you can still see the sky from inside. And we don't have any curtains at the moment (just moved in to a new house) so we can't close them even if we want to.

My OH suffers from depression and really struggled with winter in the UK. December wouldn't be too bad as you have the lead up to Christmas, but come Boxing Day and if we didn't have a trip away planned for him to look forward to he would be really miserable. He doesn't get that at all here. Even in the Adelaide winters which some people will tell you are cold and miserable (they aren't - the houses are cold but the days can actually be quite nice). The sun here in Adelaide is much higher in the sky in winter than the UK so more daylight and brightness, even on a cloudy day. Just be aware though that Brisbane is further north and the hours of daylight are much more even through the year so you don't get the short days in winter and long days in summer quite the same.

Thanks everyone. Sorry I didn't give a specific location - I should have said, it is Brisbane. I can imagine that doing chores on very hot days is draining but was just wondering about whether at least we would all have a much more positive mood - Australians usually come across as mostly happy and upbeat.

I love it in Brisbane because even though the summer can be too humid sometimes the rest of the year is often great. The average max temp is 20c+ every month of the year and the colder months are our dry months so even in the middle of winter you can have a long series of beautiful sunny, low humidity days without a cloud in the sky. You get so many nice days throughout the year you can feel a bit churlish complaining about the crap ones you sometimes get. I ride every day to work and it is very uplifting to ride when it is sunny, mild, green and beautiful. For me being surrounded by lovely flora and fauna add to the uplifting feeling as well. Of course it's not all fantasy land and like everywhere there are some serious downsides to the weather but overall it is uplifting for me even if it doesn't feel that way in the middle of summer :)

I moved from Melbourne to Brisbane and it was great. I always felt quite depressed in Melbourne in the winter that seemed to last from about April/May to Oct/November. At least in the winter in UK you have things to look forward to - Guy Fawkes, Halloween, Christmas - to break the winter months up - there is nothing in Australia during the winter months and I found them to be long but not anywhere near as cold as UK. Brisbane in winter is like our summer (a good one I mean). I don't like Christmas in the hot weather though - the novelty of having it outside/on the beach etc wore off pretty quickly for me.

My husband gets very fed up with the dull grey days that we have so often in Britain and I have noticed that on bright days (not necessarily warm but at least not cloudy) I get a lot more done and feel much more positive. I was wondering if anyone found they 'felt good' much more often in Australia due to the sunny days ... or maybe whether the effect wears off quite quick?

Evie

There is a medical condition called SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) where people get depressed due to a lack of sunlight. It's a real disorder - in the UK it's treated by sitting in front of a special light!

If you suffer from it, then moving to a country with lots of sunlight is an obvious remedy - and no, the effect of sunlight doesn't wear off. What you have to consider, though, is that the light is VERY strong. Skin cancer is a much greater risk in Australia, and you're advised not to go out in the summer between 10 am and 3 pm without SPF30 sunscreen, a hat and sunglasses. In the height of summer, unprotected, you can burn in ten minutes! So eventually, especially if you're not good in the heat, you may find you're not as fond of the sun as you think.

There is a medical condition called SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) where people get depressed due to a lack of sunlight. It's a real disorder - in the UK it's treated by sitting in front of a special light!

And it is quite common and treated the same way here

I'm one who hated the Australian summer and the harsh blue skies. When we had the drought a few years ago I had SAD from the boring monotony of the bright blue skies year after year. It certainly didn't make me happier, just more depressed (it's very sad when you pore over the BOM site praying for a patch of blue on the radar to come and dump on you!). In the summer I would spend most days either in an air conditioned office, car or mall or at home with the doors, windows and curtains closed trying to keep the heat out. It was worse when things didn't cool down at night (and DH refuses to have aircon) and a few sleepless nights did nothing to make mood better. Our house was as well insulated as any but Aus houses are not designed for Canberra (in this case) winters and I was far colder than I have been thus far in 3 UK winters. I've had few days in all that time where I've been stopped from doing something I wanted because of the weather. I walk 3 or 4 days a week and average 5-10 miles most days and haven't felt cold while walking yet and rarely need the Goretex parka but I did wear it yesterday and I just love the variety of weather. So, in essence, UK has been far better for me across the board - outside more, considerably lighter, very much fitter than the blob that left Australia.

edited to say, my Aussie DH who loves the heat was grumbling that it was too hot to work outside a couple of days ago (he's back there on holiday!) that's a first!!!!

I will have to stop thinking of you as 'Dorothea Mackellar', unless it's just the first verse of 'My Country!'

When we first left England we went to live in Africa so it was rather warm there but being young never bothered me. We did not have air conditioning just fans then. Then we went to live in New Zealand and it was very cold until we got used to the weather. The houses were not well insulated at all and most were not centrally heated and they were built to withstand the earthquakes basically. However the weather grew on me and it was fine, not as cold as Uk in winter unless you go to the South Island or the mountain areas. Then moved to Aus and lived in Sydney, liked the weather, did not like the humidity and the weather temp can drop very quickly there just like in Melbourne. We were warned about it by our land lady at the time, she said when you go to the beach make sure you take something warm.

Then I moved to Melbourne my parents moved to Perth, they did not like Perth and moved to the Kimberly, Africa still in their blood you see. Melbourne weather suits me fine, I love the spring, autumn and winter and hate the summer. Summer is yuck as far as I am concerned and should be banned. Autumn is magic, warm days and cool nights. Winter is dress up time, always think we can dress so much better and classier in cold weather, Melbourne is not that cold but its cold enough for boots and maybe a coat sometimes so its good. Spring is warmer than winter but still a dress up time.

I could not live in the warmer areas of Australia makeup is ruined, feel dirty all the time, spend hours in the shower, shoes turn green with mildew, weavels in the flour all those nasty little things, trouble with tropical is that so many creatures also like to live in the tropics.

We can grow veg all year round in Melbourne with the seasons have lovely plants and flowers so its great. great.

Guest Guest66881
I can honestly say I have never been as cold as I was in perth....a combo of having windows open, wrong clothkng, no heating and being in thehills. It iz horribls not being able to get warm

:huh:

I think waking up to a bright blue sky or beautiful sunshine automatically makes you feel better, i know it does for me. I much prefer the weather here even if some days it does get a bit hot, as long as your car as air con and there is a waterhole near by ,be it beach, pool or river the hotter weather is great.

Cal x

Hi again,

Evie

Sunshine definitely improves your mood....isn't it a scientific fact or something now? lol. It gets pretty hot and humid here, and plenty of rain, but on a hot day with a nice sea breeze it's lovely.

Archived