public sector jobs better in the uk...

Nikey

My 18 year idea of moving to oz aint gonna happen because it doesnt make financial sense from my research. I dont think we would be any better off in oz in terms of salary and would have to start again with house, schools etc.

Does anybody think differently - that we WOULD be better off in oz as two public sector workers? Police and council, one PT one FT

Thanks for any views....

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends. I would say if you were planning on the same careers, then possibly it would be financial meltdown. But, a lot of people come knowing they would be worse off financially but still come for different reasons. But, what about looking at changing careers?

But, it is a big part of the decision making in looking at how things would be now compared to Oz. If you are comfortable now financially and in Oz it would mean a big change in circumstances then my advice would be no. It would not make sense.

Definitely not better off, TBH I don't know why you wold think you would be.

The standard of living is broadly the same, where there is a shortage of certain skills then people in that trade can make it big for a few years but that is only ever temporary (this is exactly the same as in the UK).

Depending where you live now and where you would plan to live you could actually be worse off & that's after you have written off the costs of moving. Certainly we were much worse off financially in Perth, WA than here in Scotland.

I would seriously question yourself on the motivations for migrating and if you are still happy to struggle to achieve it then I would look at areas where the cost of living is lowest - certainly avoid Perth and Sydney.

With a lot of caution even consider rural areas - in fact there are sometimes 'bonus' payments in the public sector for working in rural areas (be careful to avoid mining areas though where the cost of living is much higher). I say with caution though because living in a rual area in Australia is not for the feint hearted!

As far as I am concerned if you have to ask if it makes financial sense then you shouldn't move. While it is sensible to consider if you will be able to support yourself when you get here, in my opinion the decision to emigrate shouldn't be based on whether you will be better off but should be about having an adventure, doing something different, trying out a different lifestyle or some other general longing to be somewhere other than where you are at the moment. The costs involved (visas, moving and flights) generally mean the whole process is a very expensive one and unless you have an employer willing to pay everything for you you will be out of pocket in a big way before you even land.

Deciding to emigrate is a bit like deciding to have a baby - if the longing is there you find a way to make it work financially.

It is not that easy to get a job in the public sector. The police service is especially difficult unless you already have a job offer.

Some states, such as QLD, have been making many redundancies..do not even consider it unless you already have jobs lined up

Sorry but if your motivation is to be financially better off then I would suggest you stay where you are. There is more involved than just finances when you emigrate it involves a whole package of feelings and emotions. If you have doubts about the move I think you would be better off staying in the UK..

Thanks everyone for all of your help. I fell in love with oz when I first visited it but never made the move because hubby wasnt keen. Now he would go but I would not want to uproot our family just to be struggling when we have a good life here.

I suppose I asked the question because I would like it if I was wrong!!

Not to worry, there is nothing wrong with having a little obsession. I will enjoy all things australian from the comfort of my good life in the uk. Happy new year everyone :biggrin:

Guest Ptp113
My 18 year idea of moving to oz aint gonna happen because it doesnt make financial sense from my research. I dont think we would be any better off in oz in terms of salary and would have to start again with house, schools etc.

Does anybody think differently - that we WOULD be better off in oz as two public sector workers? Police and council, one PT one FT

Thanks for any views....

If you haven't been able to get it done in 18 years you really should give it a miss.

Am I getting the feeling that its the 18 year old that wants you to move to Aus. This is not a good reason to move. You obviously are not committed to migrating, the success of migration is that its a burning desire to leave the Uk and have a different life and its very different in Aus, just because we speak English does not mean that its an English type of lifestyle, its an Aussie lifestyle. You have good jobs where you are pensions all of that. Just moving the pension can be a loss of a lot of money to some people.

If it was me the 18 year old could go on a working holiday and see what they thought then let her/him migrate if they want to as they have the time to accumulate. In mid life often moving is a big step backwards and start all over again scenario.

Am I getting the feeling that its the 18 year old that wants you to move to Aus. This is not a good reason to move. You obviously are not committed to migrating, the success of migration is that its a burning desire to leave the Uk and have a different life and its very different in Aus, just because we speak English does not mean that its an English type of lifestyle, its an Aussie lifestyle. You have good jobs where you are pensions all of that. Just moving the pension can be a loss of a lot of money to some people.

If it was me the 18 year old could go on a working holiday and see what they thought then let her/him migrate if they want to as they have the time to accumulate. In mid life often moving is a big step backwards and start all over again scenario.

LOL. You misread the OP there Petals.

I was going to mention the pension thing. Despite the changes, it's still pretty hard to beat a public service pension in the UK. We have provision in both countries, but the UK one is much better especially as my oh is fairly close to retirement age.

You shouldn't base your decision to emigrate on that though. You should consider the financial implications of course, but as others have said, it's only part of the decision making. It depends how much you enjoy your life here and whether you think you'd regret not trying Australia. If you can take it or leave it, I'd leave it, but if you think that you'd be sorry 10 years down the line, then give it a go!

No final pensions these days all market based. However it depends how many years you have until retirement how good the super will eventually be unless you salary sacrifice.

We do get pensions from the UK but they are not indexed so the amount we receive on first payment never changes its that for the rest of our lives so with inflation a lot of older Brits find this very hard as prices continue to rise..

If money is your driver for moving, I wouldn't bother. You only have to look at the ones doing the loudest moaning on here, a lot are people living somewhere that they don't really want to, just to earn extra coin.

Forget that, life's too short.

Just live your life, if you're happy where you are, stay put.

If money is your driver for moving, I wouldn't bother. You only have to look at the ones doing the loudest moaning on here, a lot are people living somewhere that they don't really want to, just to earn extra coin.

Forget that, life's too short.

Just live your life, if you're happy where you are, stay put.

its not my driver but I dont want to b scraping the barrel for money having only just emerged from that over here

Sounds like you have good jobs and a comfortable life in the UK, I wouldn't uproot to be worse off and most are to be honest, the wages may be higher here but you will pay more for most things. All things need to be considered i.e. family and friends etc. Its not easy to start again in a new country.

My driver for moving is that I love oz.....and its culture

Go for it then.

For every person that tells you that you'll be worse off over here, there will be another who will tell you how much better off you'll be. We have much more disposable income over here than we ever did in the UK. And much more to spend it on. But that's us, not anyone else.

We started afresh with new jobs and a new mortgage in our late 30s. We spent the money we made from our UK house on travelling. Some might not fancy the thought of starting over, didn't really bother us.

Thanks for any views....

Lifestyle choice. From what i've seen, the local government is bloated beyond belief, like the UK was 15 years ago.

Pool cars are the norm, Christmas shutdown, tax breaks for low paid and health workers, people sitting on a leave credit up of 12 months, not much performance management or accountability, morning teas every week and a lot of standing around waiting for other people.

The words "business management" are pretty rare, a lot of work is still classed under "admin" and nobody does it.

There's a lot more attempted bullying, a lot more workshy folk, a fair amount of nepotism and paying lipservice to regulations is pretty common.

It will change, but if you have a current British local government work ethic you will be well able to cope with the changes that are coming to Oz.

I didnt realise it was like that at all. Thanks for the info.......I understand exactly the type of environment u mean, I just didnt realise oz was like that.......:wideeyed:

Lifestyle choice. From what i've seen, the local government is bloated beyond belief, like the UK was 15 years ago.

Pool cars are the norm, Christmas shutdown, tax breaks for low paid and health workers, people sitting on a leave credit up of 12 months, not much performance management or accountability, morning teas every week and a lot of standing around waiting for other people.

The words "business management" are pretty rare, a lot of work is still classed under "admin" and nobody does it.

There's a lot more attempted bullying, a lot more workshy folk, a fair amount of nepotism and paying lipservice to regulations is pretty common.

It will change, but if you have a current British local government work ethic you will be well able to cope with the changes that are coming to Oz.

Archived