Christmas traditions,meals/food etc

pablo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife is Peruvian and the Peru tradition is all about Christmas eve. So the main meal is eaten at midnight on Christmas eve and is often a turkey, but served cold with a selection of cold side dishes such as potatoes in a nut sauce. Then Christmas day is just spent at the beach with family.

This year we are doing a mix. So we will eat on Christmas day, but are having the turkey done Peru style - marinaded in spices and chili and then served cold with a range of salads.

In Tanzania, where I work, the tradition is just lots of different dishes - at least one being roast goat. Lots of rice and beans

My parents always make both :) We will probably do it too, I prefer mash :)

I have never come across mash and roast potatoes together for Christmas dinner before, but seems it is quit popular.

First year down under I roasted a duck on the barbecue and then did the veggies as normal, but it was too hot making it all! Seafood and pavlova this year and I have just decided to do a gazpacho starter.

We`re going to be celebrating Christmas Czech style :biggrin:. Traditionally, we are supposed to be fasting from morning on the 24th until the Christmas dinner. Kids will eat of course, but no meat dishes ( I might nibble on a little something too, not being too traditional :wink:). We will have a fish - most likely salmon - with a cold potato salad for dinner, plus Christmas cookies, plus wine. Kids will be allowed to attack the tree - we have wrapped chocolates hanging on it as ornaments. In Czech we used to have a karp and I hate that fish, tastes muddy to me, I rather had tilapia then.

We`re going to be celebrating Christmas Czech style :biggrin:. Traditionally, we are supposed to be fasting from morning on the 24th until the Christmas dinner. Kids will eat of course, but no meat dishes ( I might nibble on a little something too, not being too traditional :wink:). We will have a fish - most likely salmon - with a cold potato salad for dinner, plus Christmas cookies, plus wine. Kids will be allowed to attack the tree - we have wrapped chocolates hanging on it as ornaments. In Czech we used to have a karp and I hate that fish, tastes muddy to me, I rather had tilapia then.

i had Mulled wine in Prague from a street seller in Wenceslaus square, was the best ever, I can still taste it years later. Bit hot here for that I suppose .

Mash & Roast potatoes here, and cauliflower cheese. Not sure where Roast & Mash is classed as a northern thing we always had it growing up! Did anyone like us have bread and butter to wipe up the gravy too :laugh:

Noooooo...!!!!

Shudder.....

:no:

Ive changed my mind this year..was to be chicken breasts but Im going shopping soon and plan to get a turkey crown. Went to spudshed yesterday and they had the most enormous fresh looking parsnips so doing them roasted instead of pumpkin. Will also do roast potatoes. .mashed sweet potato...carrots..cauliflower...Mum insisted...brussels and broccoli. Paxo with sausagemeat stuffing...bread sauce and cranberry. I may get sone streaky bacon and chipolatas from the new butcher in the shopping centre...a british style place...and go the whole hig with pigs in blankets. I demand traditional this year...cold cuts not cutting it for me am afraid!! Thats for Boxing Day.

No from NSW mate. But the Xmas ham in Aus you buy it already cooked and its cold. So mum would always cook the pork and turkey the day before and serve it cold. The vegetables would be hot though. Bit wired thinking about it, cold meat hot veges, but that's the way it always was, both at our place and our uncles every other year.

Exactly this but add cold beef, prawns and chicken, plus salads.

i had Mulled wine in Prague from a street seller in Wenceslaus square, was the best ever, I can still taste it years later. Bit hot here for that I suppose .

It`s way better when it`s freezing outside, that`s for sure :yes:. Another Czech cold weather remedy is a hot tea with a shot of plum brandy, my dad makes his own from home-grown plums. You won`t feel cold again the whole day after:wink:

Turkey and all the trimmings. I don't eat the turkey myself though (veggie). Last year we had lamb too as my Nan was there for dinner and doesn't like turkey. This year we have another Norfolk Bronze Free Range turkey as last year.

We do pigs in blankets too though I never had these growing up.

I do Paxo stuffing as that's always what I had growing up, but OH makes a sausage meat stuffing as that's what he always had.

Before Perth it was dinner at the outlaws. Starter was packet Knorr Florida Veg Soup with some of the turkey juices added with hot bread rolls. Main was turkey with roasties, mash, mashed carrot and swede, cauliflower and sprouts along with stuffing and pigs in blankets. Usual Christmas pudding afterwards.

Here I can't stand all that so for us it's a starter of crayfish and a main of red emperor fish with a thai noodle and veg salad. We will probably have a mince pie and cream for pudding. None of us in our house are fans of Christmas so for us it's just another day.

FFW to the 26th as far as I am concerned.

Before Perth it was dinner at the outlaws. Starter was packet Knorr Florida Veg Soup with some of the turkey juices added with hot bread rolls. Main was turkey with roasties, mash, mashed carrot and swede, cauliflower and sprouts along with stuffing and pigs in blankets. Usual Christmas pudding afterwards.

Here I can't stand all that so for us it's a starter of crayfish and a main of red emperor fish with a thai noodle and veg salad. We will probably have a mince pie and cream for pudding. None of us in our house are fans of Christmas so for us it's just another day.

FFW to the 26th as far as I am concerned.

:shocked::shocked:.......not fans of Christmas ...........

We're not, even the kids aren't. Just another day with the pressure to buy crap for the kids just so they don't feel like idiots when their friends ask what they got for Christmas!

steady on old bird ! you`ve made me smile /laugh but im quite surprised ........I sort of know where your coming from , I was driving to MILs to put two bikes together today and thinking "why is everyone getting so stressed over one day " it all comes together in the end and if it doesn't the shops are open the next day now !

steady on old bird ! you`ve made me smile /laugh but im quite surprised ........I sort of know where your coming from , I was driving to MILs to put two bikes together today and thinking "why is everyone getting so stressed over one day " it all comes together in the end and if it doesn't the shops are open the next day now !

I know, I'm a bit bah humbug for sure. We celebrate birthdays more in our house.

Archived