I was just about to sign a petition in favour of same-sex marriage outside Central when......

MARYROSE02

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Near Petersfield, but Kirsty grew up in Langley right near Blackfield!

Which street did she live in? I used to know them all, before 1978, anyway, when I first went to Australia. I lived in Hampton Close for sixteen years, then eight in Green Lane. I used to go in the Langley Dairy cafe, then, a little later, over the road to The Langley Tavern. I think the pub, and the Hampshire Yeoman may both have gone? It makes me said thinking about my childhood - Blackfield Infants & Junior schools. When I lived in Marchwood, 1996 to 2008, I often cycled down to Blackfield, but could never quite capture the feeling that I had actually lived there!?

To the OP. Ok whilst I don't hate Abbot (well not as much as I did Julia Gillard). And whilst gay marriage isn't the most serious issue in my life, I do however that the fact that two men or two women cannot marry and have the same equality that others have is very wrong. If only people like Tony Abbot (whose Sister is in fact a Lesbian wanting to marry her female partner) could understand the plight of Homosexual people. I'm bisexual and I cant tell you of just how hard it all is.

Two of the biggest things that occur in someones life is marriage and kids. Knowing you may be unable to have either of those, its hard to take. Sometimes as a guy, I feel if I end up with another guy, I will be redundant as a person. Unable to reproduce, unable to father. That really plays on your mind and it makes you feel less of a person. Society isn't designed for people like us. My parents say their wedding day and having me (I'm an only child) were the two best things that happened in their life. Feeling like I may never have either makes me really sad.

It hurts a lot to have to go through all of that but then to know the law dosent support you either makes you feel even more weak. I think it makes you really question your own existence and just quite how unimportant people must view you. Its hard enough for gay people to find love anyway but too add further punishment to their plight is just cruel if you ask me.

To be honest as much as gay marriage not being legalized in Australia upsets me, the whole gay adoption thing upsets me a lot lot more. Currently If I did end up with a man, my only chances of adopting are If I lived in WA or NSW. We live in 2013, how is this the case? Think of all the children out there with noone? And think of all the people of same sex desperate to have children. Its just adding to their already difficult lives.

I think its one thing allowing us to be the way we are born but its another for us to finally be treated equally and have the same rights as everyone else and for us to stop being treated like second class citizens.

To the OP. Ok whilst I don't hate Abbot (well not as much as I did Julia Gillard). And whilst gay marriage isn't the most serious issue in my life, I do however that the fact that two men or two women cannot marry and have the same equality that others have is very wrong. If only people like Tony Abbot (whose Sister is in fact a Lesbian wanting to marry her female partner) could understand the plight of Homosexual people. I'm bisexual and I cant tell you of just how hard it all is.

Two of the biggest things that occur in someones life is marriage and kids. Knowing you may be unable to have either of those, its hard to take. Sometimes as a guy, I feel if I end up with another guy, I will be redundant as a person. Unable to reproduce, unable to father. That really plays on your mind and it makes you feel less of a person. Society isn't designed for people like us. My parents say their wedding day and having me (I'm an only child) were the two best things that happened in their life. Feeling like I may never have either makes me really sad.

It hurts a lot to have to go through all of that but then to know the law dosent support you either makes you feel even more weak. I think it makes you really question your own existence and just quite how unimportant people must view you. Its hard enough for gay people to find love anyway but too add further punishment to their plight is just cruel if you ask me.

To be honest as much as gay marriage not being legalized in Australia upsets me, the whole gay adoption thing upsets me a lot lot more. Currently If I did end up with a man, my only chances of adopting are If I lived in WA or NSW. We live in 2013, how is this the case? Think of all the children out there with noone? And think of all the people of same sex desperate to have children. Its just adding to their already difficult lives.

I think its one thing allowing us to be the way we are born but its another for us to finally be treated equally and have the same rights as everyone else and for us to stop being treated like second class citizens.

Thats a heartfelt post Jack:wubclub:,not knowing whether to watch Flash dance or Apocalypse now:wideeyed:

Why is it even a question?

Why would you treat gay people any different?

Are we living in a progressive country?

Most people would like to think so, but even having to ask the question about gay marriage answers the above question.

I find it incredible that gay marriage is still being debated. The current system is at odds with the way times have changed and is so patently unfair. What possible threat can it be to anyone to allow two people who love each other to get married? I just hope my daughter and her partner dont wait too long before removing to NewZealand for however long it takes to get married there. In that forward looking country, all they care about is whether the people concerned love each other. Simple really.

As a heterosexual male jack, I'm surprised those thought are even on your radar. What's it matter to you how a gay male might feel. I don't give a rats if same sex couples want to marry or live with each other but I don't think it's right that they should expect to have kids. If they are gay having kids shouldn't be an option and they should just have to get used to that fact....tough.

Whoops sorry mate, just re-read and saw the bi-sexual bit.....must be fun.:wink:

The second class citizens comment I don't get at all. It's just a line thrown out there to try and get some sympathy.

Guest littlesarah
As a heterosexual male jack, I'm surprised those thought are even on your radar. What's it matter to you how a gay male might feel. I don't give a rats if same sex couples want to marry or live with each other but I don't think it's right that they should expect to have kids. If they are gay having kids shouldn't be an option and they should just have to get used to that fact....tough.

Whoops sorry mate, just re-read and saw the bi-sexual bit.....must be fun.:wink:

I can't comment from the position of a homosexual person, seeing as I am hetero; however, friends of mine who are gay men do feel sad about the fact that they will not be having kids of their own in the same way as a straight couple might. None of my gay friends expect to have a family, and in many ways are OK with that - but I don't think one needs to be unsympathetic about that. For any couple (whether gay or straight), being unable to have a family together is not easy - our society is in many ways structured around the notion that getting married and having kids is 'normal' and anything else is different. And if what you'd really like is become a parent, not being able to is of course bound to be painful.

Personally, I think families are about love and respect, not about sharing the same genes, and if any couple have children (whether conceived within that relationship or whether they come into the family in some other way) that they love and bring up with strong role models of both sexes and with an attitude of loving and respecting others no matter what their differences, they are doing a great job. Their gender and sexual orientation isn't really anything to do with any of that, as far as I can see.

I can't comment from the position of a homosexual person, seeing as I am hetero; however, friends of mine who are gay men do feel sad about the fact that they will not be having kids of their own in the same way as a straight couple might. None of my gay friends expect to have a family, and in many ways are OK with that - but I don't think one needs to be unsympathetic about that. For any couple (whether gay or straight), being unable to have a family together is not easy - our society is in many ways structured around the notion that getting married and having kids is 'normal' and anything else is different. And if what you'd really like is become a parent, not being able to is of course bound to be painful.

Personally, I think families are about love and respect, not about sharing the same genes, and if any couple have children (whether conceived within that relationship or whether they come into the family in some other way) that they love and bring up with strong role models of both sexes and with an attitude of loving and respecting others no matter what their differences, they are doing a great job. Their gender and sexual orientation isn't really anything to do with any of that, as far as I can see.

Absolutely agree.

I know it's a bit off topic - but in the same theme as being a bit behind the times - I was very shocked the other day to read that abortion in many of the states (apart from WA and ACT I think) is illegal unless your doctor is convinced it is medically necessary for the health and well being of the mother. I'd just assumed that in modern western society this wasn't even an issue any more!

I find it incredible that gay marriage is still being debated. The current system is at odds with the way times have changed and is so patently unfair. What possible threat can it be to anyone to allow two people who love each other to get married? I just hope my daughter and her partner dont wait too long before removing to NewZealand for however long it takes to get married there. In that forward looking country, all they care about is whether the people concerned love each other. Simple really.

For me the problem is quite simple:

1. respect everybody

2. there is NO need to get married - de facto is as married as if you have gone to the Pope to be married

3. the only winners will be the divorce lawyers

I am therefore against gay marriage, because it is not necessary. We do not need it for people to be treated equally. Except for the fact that lawyers will not be needed to get a divorce.

I know it's a bit off topic - but in the same theme as being a bit behind the times - I was very shocked the other day to read that abortion in many of the states (apart from WA and ACT I think) is illegal unless your doctor is convinced it is medically necessary for the health and well being of the mother. I'd just assumed that in modern western society this wasn't even an issue any more!

You've not been following the recent sagas in Ireland then?

Where she lived (and where her mum still does) was built in 1982 I think, so wouldn't have been there then. It is just behind the Langley Tavern though, which opens and closes on a regular basis.

When I was a kid, there was an old house and/or a coal yard, in the area between the little lane along side the pub, and West Common, and they built a very posh estate there - used to put on a special Xmas lights display every year. Is that where she lived? I should know the name of that lane too! Opposite it, along side the Dairy, is Forge Lane? Marchwood to Blackfield is about seven and half miles, but sometimes it felt as far, further than Blackfield to Sydney. My brother (who never lived in Marchwood because he has been in OZ since 1979) was frustrated when he did go back, because he could no longer relate to anything. Perhaps, it's a bit like writing something in a diary, seeing it there in black and white, but not actually remembering it. That happened to me just the other week, reading my diary for 1986 when I was in Narrabeen. I saw a dog knocked over by a car right outside a vet in Pittwater Road, but I can't remember it any more.

I've got a mate, Nick, whom I first met at Blackfield Junior School and his Mum still lives on Hampton Lane near Hampton Close. He moved to London (which I always envied him for) and I came to Australia (which I think he envied me for.) Every few weeks, he goes down to Blackfield, stays with his Mum, and does the round trip cycle ride, via Lepe, Inchmery, Exbury, Gatebridge, Blackfield. I used to do a paper round to Exbury! Too much reminiscing!

I would have signed the petition, but I didn't like that girl T shirt slogan. 'The Left' always goes on and on and on, ad nauseam about Tony Abbott appearing close to banners saying 'Ditch the Witch', but, hypocrites that they are, would never object to "**** Tony Abbott!"

The second class citizens comment I don't get at all. It's just a line thrown out there to try and get some sympathy.

I am not going to argue with someone like you. Bit of advise to you, tread carefully.

Archived