I was just about to sign a petition in favour of same-sex marriage outside Central when......

MARYROSE02

For me the problem is quite simple:

1. respect everybody

2. there is NO need to get married - de facto is as married as if you have gone to the Pope to be married

3. the only winners will be the divorce lawyers

I am therefore against gay marriage, because it is not necessary. We do not need it for people to be treated equally. Except for the fact that lawyers will not be needed to get a divorce.

Do you think there is no need for anyone to get married? Or just people of other sexual orientations of your own. I am not to bothered about getting married but if I do end up with a Guy I just would like to be given the choice, same as everyone else around me.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you think there is no need for anyone to get married? Or just people of other sexual orientations of your own. I am not to bothered about getting married but if I do end up with a Guy I just would like to be given the choice, same as everyone else around me.

What colour suit would you wear for the ceremony tho Jack,a nice peach?

What colour suit would you wear for the ceremony tho Jack,a nice peach?

hahaa Thats a funny question. No I wouldnt wear a suit. Probably a beach casual ceremony, and thats if its a straight Wedding also. Shorts, highly colourful beacht-shirts sound like fun?

What on earth has that got to do with things?

Its about choices Jack,you struggling with your bisexuality? see what movie you go for,Flashdance or Apocalypse now,it tells a lot,and might give you some closure on your dilemma?blue heaven is a place on earth...

hahaa Thats a funny question. No I wouldnt wear a suit. Probably a beach casual ceremony, and thats if its a straight Wedding also. Shorts, highly colourful beacht-shirts sound like fun?

Anything Pastel this season with you i think Jack,its a bold look,needs confidence to carry it off,its you all over!

Its about choices Jack,you struggling with your bisexuality? see what movie you go for,Flashdance or Apocalypse now,it tells a lot,and might give you some closure on your dilemma?blue heaven is a place on earth...

I am not strugelling with it after ten years of being aware of it it does not bother me.

Your rather intersted in all this for some strange reason, perhaps theres something you'd like to tell us all? ;)

Errr,well im having a chong,scotch and beer,nothing more exciting to add tbh Jack,not like your jet setting life deciding which woman you will live with,god,if only!!!!

Errr,well im having a chong,scotch and beer,nothing more exciting to add tbh Jack,not like your jet setting life deciding which woman you will live with,god,if only!!!!

Pans you could meet up with jack in Aus and he could take you under his wing, by he time you get there he will be in the know with everything.

i do hope jack has kept his lady friend fully informed so you don't get put in an awkward position.

Pans you could meet up with jack in Aus and he could take you under his wing, by he time you get there he will be in the know with everything.

i do hope jack has kept his lady friend fully informed so you don't get put in an awkward position.

I dont play the pink oboe mate,so i'll swerve that ta,you can fill in if yer like tho...

Sounds like we'll all have great fun!

First off, marriage is a purely religious symbol. It has nothing to do with law. Lawyers have made it a part of law, but marriage is first and foremost a commitment by a man and a woman, in the sight of God, to live forever in union. It is a moral/religious act.

What you are referring to is what marriage has been degraded to - a couple living together, where laws have been created which give protection to partners and children. And tax advantages to government. And fees to lawyers. Nothng wrong with any of that, but the essential core of marriage has been removed - the religious aspect.

Now let us take the current state of marriage, and accept that it is of no difference in law if you are married in a church/mosque/temple, or a civil ceremony, or simple de facto arrangement. That is not really marriage, but a simple recognition of a couple wanting to be together for as long as they are happy to be together, and move off into another relationship when they feel the need. And that is also OK. If that is what gay couples want to be equal in, then go for it. But it is not marriage they are seeking equality for, but legalised partnership. And that should be their right.

I do wonder, though, if that degradation of marriage into a series of looser unions is not ultimately responsible for decay in society, children more nervous, often in single parent situations, lacking security, turning to alternative sources of security (gangs, drugs, crime) parents desperate, refused access to offspring, battles in court to prove the other one guilty, hence punishable, fortunes lost, finances ruined ... just a thought.

I'm sure I read somewhere that 'marriages', whether civil or religious, actually last longer than 'de facto relationships', perhaps because that 'sheet of paper' translates to a greater commitment. For that reason alone, I am all in favour of marriage.

Should gay couples be able to have, or adopt children? I'm not sure how I feel. I'm sure there are a number of men and women who marry in straight relationships, have kids, then 'come out?' I can't see how that changes their parental skills?

First off, marriage is a purely religious symbol. It has nothing to do with law. Lawyers have made it a part of law, but marriage is first and foremost a commitment by a man and a woman, in the sight of God, to live forever in union. It is a moral/religious act.

What you are referring to is what marriage has been degraded to - a couple living together, where laws have been created which give protection to partners and children. And tax advantages to government. And fees to lawyers. Nothng wrong with any of that, but the essential core of marriage has been removed - the religious aspect.

Now let us take the current state of marriage, and accept that it is of no difference in law if you are married in a church/mosque/temple, or a civil ceremony, or simple de facto arrangement. That is not really marriage, but a simple recognition of a couple wanting to be together for as long as they are happy to be together, and move off into another relationship when they feel the need. And that is also OK. If that is what gay couples want to be equal in, then go for it. But it is not marriage they are seeking equality for, but legalised partnership. And that should be their right.

I do wonder, though, if that degradation of marriage into a series of looser unions is not ultimately responsible for decay in society, children more nervous, often in single parent situations, lacking security, turning to alternative sources of security (gangs, drugs, crime) parents desperate, refused access to offspring, battles in court to prove the other one guilty, hence punishable, fortunes lost, finances ruined ... just a thought.

A couple shouldn't and dont need to follow religion to be able show their love for each other tho,marriage=religious is a myth,the church demands you attend for x amount of weeks,then if you're lucky they will marry you,so not much choice really,,doesn't mean the cpls are particularly religious,more traditional if anything in my eyes,anyway,im off!

A couple shouldn't and dont need to follow religion to be able show their love for each other tho,marriage=religious is a myth,the church demands you attend for x amount of weeks,then if you're lucky they will marry you,so not much choice really,,doesn't mean the cpls are particularly religious,more traditional if anything in my eyes,anyway,im off!

I will agree with you - no need to be religious to fall in love. If religion is a myth for you, then good luck to you.

What does confuse me is couple who don't want the commitment of marriage but then go on to have children with that partner. For me the biggest commitment you'll ever have in life is to have children but your not ready to commit to their Father.

And in marriage, the first, the most important relationship is to your partner. In counselling, that needs to be stressed. The children actually should come second in the relationship, and the grandparents should not actually figure much, although they do. Once you get that relationship right, some problems begin to disappear. But again, I digress.

I will agree with you - no need to be religious to fall in love. If religion is a myth for you, then good luck to you.

I honestly dont know what religion means to me,in others its conviction,faith,security,in me its doubts and uncertainty,ive said before,i think there's "something",but i dont think it's the stereotypical god we're taught about.

My point re couples and them showing their love for each other was a simple observation/reminder,in that couples dont need religion to endorse their love,thats all i was saying tbh,anyway,its late!

Archived