Bin shocker outrage

Chortlepuss

Bins collected early this morning - Hubby slipped a bit of cardboard into next door's ( near empty) recycling bin last night as ours was full - The woman next door has just been to our house screaming at him for doing so. We've just moved into this rental - it seemed like such a nice area. Is this a shocking thing to do? The bin man has been and gone, no ability to retrieve the cardboard and her recycling bin remained unscathed throughout the experience...neighbourly relations will not remain so though! It seemed like a victim less crime at the time...I must admit I wouldn't give a stuff about someone putting their excess recycling in my bin if I had space (in fact this happened a lot in our old neighbourhood). Am I unusually liberal in this respect?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest30085

Some people clearly have nothing better to do!

Ignore it, you never know she may be renowned for lively outbursts.

Dont start putting old chicken carcass in her rubbish bin though ... just to keep the peace really ;)

Some people need to get a life!! It wouldn't bother me, in fact I was out helping to crush my neighbours excess cardboard (delivery) so she could squeeze some into our box. It's a pretty sad person who would be bothered by that! I hope you laughed it off.

Guest guest30085

On the subject of bins ..... we (neighbours and I) have to take ours to the end of the street as access isn't great and one particular neighbour always has rubbish overflowing and has at least one or two extra bags on top. A few times the refuse collectors haven't emptied said neighbours wheelie bin as its too full etc so instead the friendly neighbour takes mine so he had an empty one. :mad: I work differing hours so can't always retrieve my wheelie bin as early as they can. :mad: And it has my house number painted on it :mad:

I have never confronted my neighbour, it really isn't a big deal, I take it to the tip until I can retrieve my wheelie bin.

But when I sell this house .... I will be very kind to my neighbour :wubclub:

As long as its something that is allowable in the bin, a few years ago someone put engine parts in my mums bin and she could not move it. They are very particular here with what we put in the bin so maybe she has been burnt by someone else like my mum

Maybe she had problems with the neighbours before? Playing devils advocate in the UK someone on our road ( never found out who) used to put all their rubbish in bins that were out, overloading them at times, and it was at a time when the bin men were refusing to take bins where the lid was not shut, resulting in ours and others bins not being taken, and unlike here that meant two more weeks before they were taken again. We ended up having to put them out just before the bin men came. Very annoying especially if you have to go out to work.

Well I shall get my own back as I have an elusive green bin and was going to offer free space to neighbours as I don't fill it up all the time. Not her tho, she can go stuff herself. She's an older lady on her own so probably gets wound up by little things, but this wasn't doing anyone any harm or putting anyone out. I suppose I object to her coming round screaming, a brief 'please desist' request without the histrionics would have worked better and maintained relations - she didn't have to go off on one

Guest guest30085

I'm sure Fly By's comment was tongue in cheek, but it really isn't something to be hysterical over is it? I'd rather a neighbour put excess rubbish in another bin rather than dump it on the street ...

Guest Guest16631

.......cripes ....!

........though we too have a bin eccentric on our st......

.......they are pedantic about the position it sits on the nature strip.......and from their drive......

.......the numbers are written clearly and it's washed after every emptying.......

.......I once picked up some rubbish when walking and as their bin was first I popped it in...( a plastic bottle and a McDonald's box)

....... That evening they put it on the door step......

.......in two bags with a note........that one of the items was a recyclable item and could I not use their bin....!

........guess it's important to them.......checking their bins content....!

.......best just stick to your own bin ime.......

Bins collected early this morning - Hubby slipped a bit of cardboard into next door's ( near empty) recycling bin last night as ours was full - The woman next door has just been to our house screaming at him for doing so. We've just moved into this rental - it seemed like such a nice area. Is this a shocking thing to do? The bin man has been and gone, no ability to retrieve the cardboard and her recycling bin remained unscathed throughout the experience...neighbourly relations will not remain so though! It seemed like a victim less crime at the time...I must admit I wouldn't give a stuff about someone putting their excess recycling in my bin if I had space (in fact this happened a lot in our old neighbourhood). Am I unusually liberal in this respect?

I do the same thing myself and have witnessed others doing the same to mine. What a sad neighbour she must be. Don't bother about it.

We had same at previous residence, I had to resort to adding stuff to their bin at night. Silly persons......

I assume that was tongue in cheek?

I'm pretty easy going, but I get peed off when people take liberties. It's just common decency to ask first even if you know someone won't take offense. Normally the response would

be -you don't have to ask - but you do - at least for the first time.

The woman next door has just been to our house screaming at him for doing so. We've just moved into this rental - it seemed like such a nice area. Is this a shocking thing to do?

In my experience it's the normal thing to do! :biggrin:

Maybe the reason for the rental vacancy...the previous tenants couldn't stand the old biddy any longer. :wink:

In my experience it's the normal thing to do! :biggrin:

Maybe the reason for the rental vacancy...the previous tenants couldn't stand the old biddy any longer. :wink:

I did think of this!! Fair play if you don't like it but just say so, no need to scream. Makes me wonder what else she'll get upset about. Perhaps I should get my son to exercise his large python on her lawn ('get oorf my land!) - Only joking! It's quite a posh rental and the houses are a reasonable distance apart. We hardly ever need to see her so it will be fine, but my hubby (who is a real softie) was quite stunned. He immediately said 'If it's bothering you then I'll take it out' .... but too late!! I do like to be on good terms with neighbours and I'm quite surprised as an elderly woman alone she has taken this approach, but I know my mum worries about people parking opposite her house etc, so it is a bit of an issue for people with nothing better to do. I have lived in a couple of houses here, always had neighbours who didn't give a stuff about this sort of thing.....As long as they don't put dodgy stuff in the wrong bin, people can use my free space all they like if the bin man is just about to come and I don't need it.

if it was me I would give her the benefit of the doubt and get husband to go round and apologize and clear the air as I hate confrontation ....but saying that I have 5 children so I have to use other neighbours bins , I don't put my bins out till midnight so I just top theirs up , sometimes I ask . Only last night I drove to MILs with a big bin liner full of chicken bones and fish ect as her collection is Today ours on Wed so its makes sense for me to get rid of all the smelly stuff as the heat is really kicking in now , lets face it like me ,you made the effort using a bin some people would just dump it .........! Good luck

Archived