What's going on with avocados?

Chortlepuss

The cost & quality of avo's in Qld is usually great

Well they do grow on trees just up the road... .but why are they so blooming expensive at the moment? $4 for two tiny ones at Coles, $6 for two slightly larger at the veg shop. Not much cheaper at the market. Wish I was allowed to get them sent over from Tesco's

The avocado ripening process is a technical and difficult one, even more difficult than bananas. This contributes significantly to the cost of Avocados.

I'm not joking, I once knew a trainee avocado ripener when I lived in Holland.

Haven't found a decent avocado in months. They are always rock hard.

Helloo, you have to wait for them to ripen, just like bananas

.but why are they so blooming expensive at the moment? $4 for two tiny ones at Coles, $6 for two slightly larger at the veg shop.

It's probably a temporary weather related problem. Most avocado varieties grown in Australia are harvested in autumn and winter...so they are finished until next year.

The Hass variety, however, can be harvested through the year...but in different parts of the country. It's possible that harvesting in northern areas has finished early...because of warmer than usual weather or other unfavourable/unusual conditions...but the southern growing areas aren't yet ready for picking. So there is a shortage and prices will increase until the southern areas start producing...or we can wangle more out of New Zealand. :wink:

Haven't found a decent avocado in months. They are always rock hard.

Buy them unripened and then store them in a a paper bag with either a ripe banana, an apple or a ripe tomato. The ethylene gas that is emitted by the ripe fruit will ripen the avocados.

Guest The Pom Queen
Local produce is always cheap

Sir Les I have a question for you a little off topic, but 3times now I have seen flames towards the airport and then they have vanished. From where we live we have a good view over towards the airport and tonight it looked like a huge cane field was on fire, fully ablaze, but then within a minute there was nothing. Hubby thinks I've lost the plot but I have had two of the boys with me now who also saw it so I haven't lost the plot just yet (I don't think) but what I can't understand is how a fire can be put out so quick. My only explanation is that they have a training practise at the airport?? Its driving me insane trying to work it out

Sir Les I have a question for you a little off topic, but 3times now I have seen flames towards the airport and then they have vanished. From where we live we have a good view over towards the airport and tonight it looked like a huge cane field was on fire, fully ablaze, but then within a minute there was nothing. Hubby thinks I've lost the plot but I have had two of the boys with me now who also saw it so I haven't lost the plot just yet (I don't think) but what I can't understand is how a fire can be put out so quick. My only explanation is that they have a training practise at the airport?? Its driving me insane trying to work it out

I don't know Kate, have been spine bashing the Jason recliner all night watching a few recorded shows. They don't really burn cane any more (except for the "display" one at Yorkeys during the Festival of Cairns). The Airport firies have a "mock" aeroplane that they set alight occasionally and do their stuff but is normally during daylight hours and is not a quick extinguish.

However a couple of months ago I was turning at the Yorkeys roundabout when there was a huge fireball which must have went 60-70 metres into the air from around the Tjapaki area. I turned around and headed in the direction of Tjapaki to investigate but saw nothing more. I thought maybe it was some sort of pyrotechnic display but have yet to glean any more information......perhaps they are doing it again.......I will ask some people in the know if they can throw any light on the situation.

Guest The Pom Queen
I don't know Kate, have been spine bashing the Jason recliner all night watching a few recorded shows. They don't really burn cane any more (except for the "display" one at Yorkeys during the Festival of Cairns). The Airport firies have a "mock" aeroplane that they set alight occasionally and do their stuff but is normally during daylight hours and is not a quick extinguish.

However a couple of months ago I was turning at the Yorkeys roundabout when there was a huge fireball which must have went 60-70 metres into the air from around the Tjapaki area. I turned around and headed in the direction of Tjapaki to investigate but saw nothing more. I thought maybe it was some sort of pyrotechnic display but have yet to glean any more information......perhaps they are doing it again.......I will ask some people in the know if they can throw any light on the situation.

Thanks SLP, I'm glad its not just me. I was at Freshwater Scouts walking in the cane fields when I saw one exactly like you described, and another fire ball as I came around the bends at Redlynch in the Valley. Tonight's was different though it looked a raging Bushfire I even called Rob to meet me at the top of the hill so he could see but then a minute later half of it went out and then the other half. Oh well I guess we will never know but I'm going to start carrying my camera as hubby thinks I'm losing it

Archived