Joeybee

Hi guys.

When I first move out to Oz, I'll be staying with friends who live in Armadale before I can find work and a rental elsewhere in Perth. I've had a look through the forum, but there doesn't seem to be much mention of Armadale. Trying to find out what I should be expecting when I get there.

I've done a bit of research on the area, I believe it is to be one of Perth's 'hubs', so should be fairly well connected and good shops etc.

I don't drive, neither does my Husband. I've seen there's rail into Perth CBD, anyone know how reliable/clean etc this is? Also is it easy to get around Armadale on foot?

Also what are the shops like and what's the general feel of the area, any special sites of interest or attractions?

Also, I'm a nurse, and have seen jobs at Armadale Hospital, seems fairly decent, but can never tell for sure off websites. Anyone heard anything about it, is it a good place to work/be treated/good reputation?

Any info would be good, just gives me more of an idea of what to expect. I'm getting really excited to get out to Oz, the more I can find out, the more excited I am :-)

We lived near Armadale for 12 months and have since moved over to the Sunshine Coast, we previously lived in Melbourne. It wasn't for us living in WA but everyone's different, we couldn't settle there and weren't happy. We found that after Melbourne there really wasn't a great deal to do without travelling. Armadale is ok, two pretty good shopping centres and an awesome Chinese. The trains seemed to go pretty regular into the city and were pretty clean, plenty of police about to, which is always a good thing.

I am sure someone will come along and have a go at me for saying this but it is probably the worst of Perth's sub city's. High crime rates and low property prices. A high population of indigenous people, no i am not racist before anyone comments but very few of them work etc. A lot of anti social behavior by kids as well.

We lived near Armadale for 12 months and have since moved over to the Sunshine Coast, we previously lived in Melbourne. It wasn't for us living in WA but everyone's different, we couldn't settle there and weren't happy. We found that after Melbourne there really wasn't a great deal to do without travelling. Armadale is ok, two pretty good shopping centres and an awesome Chinese. The trains seemed to go pretty regular into the city and were pretty clean, plenty of police about to, which is always a good thing.

There are plenty of police on that route because it is notorious for crime.

Armadale is not the greatest in any sense of the word and whilst I would work there, I would not live there.

There are only about five suburbs left that have a median house price under $300,000 and Armadale is one of them. Cheaper housing tends to correlate with more social issues and Armadale does have a poor reputation including the train line into the city not being very safe. It is a rough area which will nevertheless have some Ok bits. Think someone on this site works at the hospital and may have a more balanced view, I am just going on what I hear on the news.

Guest Guest66881

I done a delivery down at the shopping centre there last year, while i was in the receiving bay for Coles i had three guys nicking boxes out the truck, and no one i mean no one did a thing, even my company when i phoned it in said ok fill out the form and report back that night.

Apparently it is rife down there, that said there are some nice oldE worldy houses around and well kept, like all suburbs some are better than others but that's a world over problem.

Hi guys.

When I first move out to Oz, I'll be staying with friends who live in Armadale before I can find work and a rental elsewhere in Perth. I've had a look through the forum, but there doesn't seem to be much mention of Armadale. Trying to find out what I should be expecting when I get there.

I've done a bit of research on the area, I believe it is to be one of Perth's 'hubs', so should be fairly well connected and good shops etc.

I don't drive, neither does my Husband. I've seen there's rail into Perth CBD, anyone know how reliable/clean etc this is? Also is it easy to get around Armadale on foot?

Also what are the shops like and what's the general feel of the area, any special sites of interest or attractions?

Also, I'm a nurse, and have seen jobs at Armadale Hospital, seems fairly decent, but can never tell for sure off websites. Anyone heard anything about it, is it a good place to work/be treated/good reputation?

Any info would be good, just gives me more of an idea of what to expect. I'm getting really excited to get out to Oz, the more I can find out, the more excited I am :-)

Hi ... Ali one of the moderators is a nurse at Armadale hospital ...she could probs fill u in work wise ....my grandson was born there and the staff were excellent ..... with regard shopping it has a huge shopping centre with a good range of retail outlets ...I shop there quite often ..... as for staying there it depends which part ur in .....there are good and bad parts and although crime is high there has recently been a crack down ...but not sure to what effect .... there is as already been mentioned a high indegineous population .... not sure about public transport apart from the train runs directly to perth .....

mrs keily

All very interesting, thanks everyone for your responses. I did find the rental prices around Armadale cheap, which given what people have said, makes sense. Strangely enough, this doesn't put me off too much, mainly as I'm staying with friends who've lived there for years and will only be there until I can secure another suburb to live in.They live in Bedfordale, just on the edge of Armadale.

With a few shopping centres, it sounds liveable enough for a month or two, and a good Chinese is never a bad thing ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Armadale is a pit.

If you are anywhere near the centre it's rough. High crime, and social problems. Some places are pretty much no-go areas.

Get into the hills if you can. If you are East of Albany Highway, it's a little better. If you are on 'the flat', it's pretty poor.

I lived in (what is now) Mt Nasura and went to Kelmscott HS for a few years.

When I came back I had the opportunity to live in the area for free. I rented elsewhere instead. Not a chance.

we all know the type of people to avoid in Armadale , its not a pit ,if they were not around Armadale would be one of the most sort after areas due to the huge plots . The shopping centre is fantastic , the views are awesome while driving up into the Darling Range . The hospital is good and parking is free and has one of the best golf courses in Perth only a 5 minute drive away ..............Joeybee you will be fine .......

We live near Armadale, and often are in the suburb. There are good and bad points. Yes, there are plenty of really nasty people around, yes, a lot are indigenous, and no, there is not enough being done to stop the crime. But on the other hand, there are some excellent areas, shopping is good, and the hospital is excellent as well. I would avoid the public transport though - no need to run risks. It is certainly an affordable place to live, you are close to the southern gateway into the country, good parks, golf is close (as it is everywhere in Perth ...) and it is very pretty. At the very least, you could stop off there for a few months, get settled and sort out where you will live and work.

Armadale has lots of downbeat people walking about, there are lots of break ins to houses and garages.

Its one of the worse parts of Perth and wouldnt advise it, however whats bad in Perth isnt anything like a city council estate in the UK

Armadale has lots of downbeat people walking about, there are lots of break ins to houses and garages.

Its one of the worse parts of Perth and wouldnt advise it, however whats bad in Perth isnt anything like a city council estate in the UK

That's exactly what my mate in Roleystone said. He's from Birmingham and thought Armadale was a holiday camp by comparison!

That's exactly what my mate in Roleystone said. He's from Birmingham and thought Armadale was a holiday camp by comparison!

It's only to do with population size, as Perth's grows so will the problems.. Don't think for one minute that if perth had birminghams population it wouldn't have the same problems.

It's only to do with population size, as Perth's grows so will the problems.. Don't think for one minute that if perth had birminghams population it wouldn't have the same problems.

Fair point. For me though it seems more about the density of populations than numbers. Too many people crammed into a little island in the UK. I find driving in Perth quite a pleasure as people don't seem to need to speed everywhere although a few more traffic islands wouldn't go a miss.

Fair point. For me though it seems more about the density of populations than numbers. Too many people crammed into a little island in the UK. I find driving in Perth quite a pleasure as people don't seem to need to speed everywhere although a few more traffic islands wouldn't go a miss.

Again population.. I read somewhere within X amount of years perths population will be 6 million.. You won't have the same leisurely drive then , Australia lags the uk by about 10-15 years.. What you've seen then your see again

Archived