University Funding

roger2shirts

I am wanting to do a post grad degree part time here and I am struggling to understand the funding.

I am a permanent resident, having been here 3 years, do I qualify for a HEX / HEC student loan? Or do I need to be a citizen?

Does anyone know how the uni funding / pay back student loan works here?

I've found loads of confusing and contradictory information - but nothing really useful.

For post-grads you get "fee-help" instead of HECS, which is repayed through tax the same way, but I don't think you're eligable unless you're a citizen, I seem to recall you had to have the same criteria to apply for it as HECS

Hecs is paid back through PAYE when a graduate gets to a certain level of salary.

Hecs is only available to Australians, ie born here or has citizenship.

Other than that you can pay up front for the fees and each uni may have different fees for a course. Banks give loans to students and are repaid at bank rates.

Courses will say HECS and to apply for a hecs place you need to get the book which should be around now in the newsagents and apply and in January advice as to whether successful or not will be provided. Fee paying courses are also applied for and and advised in January.

Once you are accepted onto a course the university will provide all the links to apply for hecs through their web page.

If you start your course as a permanent resident you will pay cheaper domestic fees, as soon as you become a citizen you will be immediately able to get hecs funding.

Hecs is repaid straight from paye and the actual amount taken each fortnight (or however you get paid) will be entirely dependent on your actual salary.

Has this changed - as I thought is was?

Don't think so.

The vast majority of post-graduate courses are not commonwealth supported therefore HECS does not apply.

Full fees (even though domestic) need to be paid.

Commonwealth supported places - and HECS - are designed for undergraduates getting their first degree.

It's not really the taxpayers obligation to subsidize multiple higher degrees for people. If they want to do them, they should fund it themselves.

Don't think so.

The vast majority of post-graduate courses are not commonwealth supported therefore HECS does not apply.

Full fees (even though domestic) need to be paid.

Commonwealth supported places - and HECS - are designed for undergraduates getting their first degree.

It's not really the taxpayers obligation to subsidize multiple higher degrees for people. If they want to do them, they should fund it themselves.

I have done post graduate study and it was funded through Fee- Help, which is basically the same as HECS, but instead applies to post grad studies. It is repaid exactly the same way as Hecs and the actual amount taken out each fortnight (or pay day) is again dependent on what your salary is.

I have done post graduate study and it was funded through Fee- Help, which is basically the same as HECS, but instead applies to post grad studies. It is repaid exactly the same way as Hecs and the actual amount taken out each fortnight (or pay day) is again dependent on what your salary is.

Yes. I know. I was replying to NewJez who thought that HECS applied to post-graduate courses.

HECS only applies to subsidized CSP courses. Fee-help applies for those courses where full fees need to be paid.

Yes. I know. I was replying to NewJez who thought that HECS applied to post-graduate courses.

HECS only applies to subsidized CSP courses. Fee-help applies for those courses where full fees need to be paid.

Yep, I was just posting, so that the original OP knows that there is funding available for the post grad course that he wants to pursue.

• 4 months later...

Still confused, We are permanent residents and have been told by the uni that my son can get a commonwealth assisted place which will entitle him to HECS, this conflicts with other info we have found online.

So can a permanent resident who's a non-citizen get HECS if the get a CSP ? The uni say yes but other info online suggests no.

Still confused, We are permanent residents and have been told by the uni that my son can get a commonwealth assisted place which will entitle him to HECS, this conflicts with other info we have found online.

So can a permanent resident who's a non-citizen get HECS if the get a CSP ? The uni say yes but other info online suggests no.

HECS is only available to citizens or permanent humanitarian visa holders

A Commonwealth Supported place offers lower fees and is available to PR holders, but unfortunately you will not get a HECS loan.

Thanks, we will wait til we have citizenship as fees, even with CSP, are around $4500 per semester for full time under graduate study and thats without living costs if you're studying away from home. Its pretty annoying when you're a resident with a tax file number and have been paying taxes into the system. Bank loans will be too costly.

Archived