Scottish not British...

whichway1

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You can call me whatever. What you have side stepped is that Scottish people commonly take offense to the suggestion that they are British or English. That they have been wronged somehow. It reminds me of the Johnny Galecki quote about why he has never denied being gay: "I've never really addressed those rumors because I always figured, why defend yourself against something that's not offensive?".

So why do some Scottish people need to defend themselves against something that is not offensive? It really is not offensive to mis-categorise someone's race. Even to the point where using a British word is a bad thing. Get over yourselves. Really.

I haven't side stepped it all. I've told you I am British and have no problem with that. The same way as you are British. I don't like being called English, because I'm not. I would correct people who thought I was female, vegetarian, green haired, over six foot six tall, under three feet tall, had more than two arms, wasn't an only child, didn't like dogs and never touched a beer. I am none of those things either, so forgive me for trying to keep you right. Anyone else can be what they want to be...just please try and remember who and what I am, especially after I've told them several times.

And as for telling people who think being British is a bad thing, please stop implying that I am one of them. I am not. I am British and happy to say so. I also identify with being Scottish. All I ask is people remember that and don't assume I am something else

When people say a kilt is a skirt! and not manly!

A kilt is a skirt, even though it is manly. I wish people would attack the false logic that says that all skirts are feminine rather than make the absurd claim that a kilt is somehow not a skirt because it is worn by men.

Guest Guest26012
Yeah, was talking to an Aussie the other day and he asked me what Perth in England is like! lol

Bless!:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biggrin:

I agree with WD in that I class Irish, Welsh and Scots as from the same 'place' as me...ooops seems thats not the done thing! I guess it depends on your attitude, my OH will not be called 'British', he's English...I don't give a flying tbh...I'm English when asked, Nationality is British, the British Isles...United Kingdom...not that united though hey!

Yeah, was talking to an Aussie the other day and he asked me what Perth in England is like! lol

that's really funny!!!! - cause everyone knows that Perth is in Western Australia - in the words of Gregory Peck - `its a big country`

Guest Guest26012
that's really funny!!!! - cause everyone knows that Perth is in Western Australia - in the words of Gregory Peck - `its a big country`

Fancy thinking Perths anywhere else? How silly?

There is a big difference in being fed up for being mistaken for British, to taking offence to it and whipping out your sporran as proof of your Braveheart Scotchness. Seemingly it is the haggis gobbling heathens that take the most offence. I really don't mind if I was described as Welsh or Scottish or Hindustani for that matter.

You can't mistake a Scot/ Scottish (whatever) person as being British, Scots ARE British. You were quick to first point out that you are an Englishman, Scots deserve the same right to identify as Scottish.

I often get asked where I'm from...in Ireland /England /Wales (more rarely) ...it doesn't offend me. Gets a bit tiring having to explain all the time so sometimes I don't even bother. Australia is a long way from the UK, just because I've migrated here I don't assume everyone I come into contact with here has visited the UK and even if they had, I wouldn't expect them to be as attuned to the various accents. Scotland is a very small country and hard as it may be for some to believe, there are others throughout this huge big world in which we live that have never heard of Scotland...chances are they know of England, London, Britain, therefore if a 'Scot' identifies with being Scottish over Britosh then so be it, we have a rich cultural heritage & want to celebrate it. What harm is that to anyone. If you don't like it, then I would take reflection before accusing proud Scots of having a chip on their shoulder. And while I'm at it, I find your sporran; braveheart, haggis gobbling comment to be very derogatory, not even witty enough to merit sarcasm, bordering on racist. Your clearly just jealous of our national dress!

I might add, I'm totally against Scottish independence, but that shouldn't mean Scotland is overlooked.

signed

proud Scot who happens to be British

I'm an Englishman / British from the UK and citizen of the world... Why oh why the Scots / Scottish have such a chip on their shoulders about their identity is beyond me.

you just said you were an Englishman british citizen of the world its no different to me saying I'm Scots British citizen of the world.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 4

Apparently 80% of Scottish folk see themselves as Scottish but not British. Sometimes I think people think that British means English - It doesn't it means British.

There are some things that annoy me about our nation -

Racism - in general and amongst each other

When people refer to the Whole of the United Kingdom as England (Particularly people from the UK - you know who you are - Stop it!) What part of England are you from? - I AM NOT I SAID I WAS SCOTTISH!!!

This absolutely ridiculous gingerism - I mean it's gotten out of hand - people are actually being attacked and murdered because of it

When people say a kilt is a skirt! and not manly!

How easy it it for those "in the know" to scam and rob our benefits system and how hard it can be for those in need to get any!!

But despite all these things that irritate me and annoy me about this land, I am Scottish and I am British (I am also Australian too - but that's just showing off) and I am proud!!

index.JPG:biggrin::laugh::wink:

index.JPG

Why's it the scotch folk that get wound up by things like this?;)

Couldn't care less if someone mistakes my nationality.

Ok I HAVE to clear this up - I don't care if a non British person mistakes my nationality - I DO care and it DOES annoy me when people who are FROM THE UK persist in calling me English (when my accent clearly states otherwise) and refer to the whole of the UK as England. And yes it does happen, it happens a lot.

Archived