Shopping in Australia

Paulr

I actually quite like Aldi for certain goods. They usually come with a 3 year warranty.

Bough a Small clothes dryer last week for $170 and does a good job! Same for the $10 rice cooker. But the Lumina Vacuum is fantastic for $100.

http://www.theelectricdiscounter.com.au/ great for Brisbane folks. Got my fridge , washing machine, oven and cooktop here cheaper than anywhere else

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had loads of Lacoste and Ralph Lauren polos from Myer/David Jones for between $60-$100. The Ben Sherman shirts are $60-ish. Levi's jeans $100-$120 dependent on type. There is nearly always a sale on as well, at least on something. Ted Baker stuff is expensive $150-ish but have had some on sale, same Paul Smith maybe more so.

T-shirts from Country Road about $50 each, nice gear, bit like Gap IMO. Usually get work stuff from there. I quite like Sportscraft gear too.

I get my PJs from KMart, $10. Slippers $8.

Go the surf shop when going on hols. In fact, going Bali in 3 weeks. Can get the RL polos there for about $40, usually stock up. Got a couple of pairs of Adidas trainers as well, $30 each.

I've had loads of Lacoste and Ralph Lauren polos from Myer/David Jones for between $60-$100. The Ben Sherman shirts are $60-ish. Levi's jeans $100-$120 dependent on type. There is nearly always a sale on as well, at least on something. Ted Baker stuff is expensive $150-ish but have had some on sale, same Paul Smith maybe more so.

T-shirts from Country Road about $50 each, nice gear, bit like Gap IMO. Usually get work stuff from there. I quite like Sportscraft gear too.

Go the surf shop when going on hols. In fact, going Bali in 3 weeks. Can get the RL polos there for about $40, usually stock up. Got a couple of pairs of Adidas trainers as well, $30 each.

There's a couple of surf warehouses In Scarborough gpo. They are well worth a visit I go there about once a year and buy a few T shirts and polos. Enough till the following year normally. They are half the price you pay in a shop. Might have to rummage through the hangers, which puts my missus off, she likes a bit of service in a shop and can't be bothered. I could rummage round for a while if I'm paying the right price.

:cool:

Best thing about Perth is that no-one in really cares about labels and brands except maybe the ones who have spilt kebab sauce down the front of the their three lions / man u shirts and are waiting for it to come oft of the washing machine!

Singlet, boardies and thongs (optional) are all that is required.

Golly there must be some fashionistas here on the PIO. I'd never know the difference between a T shirt or jeans sold here or at ASDA/Tesco.

As for the quality of manufacture, I doubt 90% of what's on sale is made in the UK or Aus...it all comes from sweat shops in Pakistan, Bangladesh or India.

Best thing about Perth is that no-one in really cares about labels and brands except maybe the ones who have spilt kebab sauce down the front of the their three lions / man u shirts and are waiting for it to come oft of the washing machine!

Singlet, boardies and thongs (optional) are all that is required.

I'm not really in a position to be that scruffy all the time. Plus, I'll wear the same clothes I've worn all my life if that's OK with you.

I'll wear the same clothes I've worn all my life if that's OK with you.

Sure - not going to knock anyone's right to their individuality. It was just an observation that no-one really cares what you are wearing over here unlike the label conscious UK.

Just seems like another case of "I'll move myself to the other side of the world but want to keep everything the same" mentality to me.

I found that a lot of the things that "mattered" really don't and no longer cross my mind.

yeah if your coming over here buy some decent clothes as there not made the best over here

when you walk in to target or k mart its like being back in the 80 lol

Returned to the UK at Christmas and couldn't find anything in M&S, Next, Gap etc. that I would give suitcase space to. Quality seemed to have really gone down hill (in 3 years) and as for "design", I'll happily stick in the '80s if the typical UK high street was anything to go by.

I'm not really in a position to be that scruffy all the time. Plus, I'll wear the same clothes I've worn all my life if that's OK with you.

Even if you can't be scruffy surely you must die of the heat if you wear the same clothes you worn all your life. I wouldn't wear shorts and a T shirt to an office...but I wouldn't wear a wool suit either. Something lighter and less formal is totally acceptable--dressed up for me would be cotton trousers, an open neck cotton shirt and, if necessary, something like a linen jacket.

and as for "design", I'll happily stick in the '80s if the typical UK high street was anything to go by.

:wubclub: I've kept my clothes from the '80s - for the design and quality...so much better than now.

I'm just waiting to be the same size I was in the '80s...so that I can fit into them again. :rolleyes:

Even if that doesn't happen....I'm sure they'll become classic collectables and my family will make a fortune on eBay. :wink:

Even if you can't be scruffy surely you must die of the heat if you wear the same clothes you worn all your life. I wouldn't wear shorts and a T shirt to an office...but I wouldn't wear a wool suit either. Something lighter and less formal is totally acceptable--dressed up for me would be cotton trousers, an open neck cotton shirt and, if necessary, something like a linen jacket.

You sound like my Dad Bobbsy.:wink:

Kmart quality is poor...and tacky for the most part IMO...but I really rate target, better quality and more attractive clothes. Kmart =Primark. Target = Next

Have you seen the new add for Target? Put me off going. My youngster made me laugh a couple of days ago, the add came on and at the end the guy goes no no, Targe (with the French pronunciation at the end). My youngster came out with no no you're gay.:biggrin:

I think the novelty is still fresh for me; I love the shopping centres here. I love that I have K-Mart everywhere, I have gotten some REAL bargains in Target (think bakeware) and almost everywhere I go, the shop is having a sale and I get what I want rather cheaply. However; and this is a big however. I am not a clothes kind of person. I don't give a twoddle about clothes, or shoes, or such and such. I love bakeware, kitchen stuff, sheets, pillows, decorative, op shops, pet shops (THAT DON'T SELL PUPPIES OR KITTENS) and even a tea shop I found recently in Robina. I like Carrara Markets too, and Bunnings is fun. So, for me. The shops are great. Plenty of variety, and, food courts! VARIETY! Sushi for $2 a roll! Not just Burger King or MacDonald's or KFC. When you live in little Norwich, that is a big deal.

Anyway, yes. Shopping centres, thumbs up from me. Ones in the UK now seem tiny and the customer service...oh holy moly, I can't get over the service here. It's impeccable in most cases. Now I realise how TOTALLY POOR the service is in the UK. People actually conversing cheerfully, smiling, I thanked a woman today at the deli and she seemed really surprised to get a sincere thank you. Pack your bags at the supermarket instead of hurling them down the belt at you, without a smile to be found. I love a lot of things about the UK but I find Aus (where I live, anyway) much better in terms of customer service and variety of cheap crap.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

When we were in Australia we went shopping numerous times and the wife said she thought that what was on offer, clothes and food wise was very similar to the UK. I saw loads of bargains for household goods and saw adverts on fliers for plasma TVs, fridges, washing machines and numerous other items and priced them up to what they were in the UK using our 2.2 wage rate and it all seemed similar in price.

I think the novelty is still fresh for me; I love the shopping centres here.

<snip>

I grew up in Canada and feel right at home...shopping centres here are more or less identical to Canadian ones, even down to K mart being common.

The only difference is that there they have shopping centres because of the cold; here it's because of the heat!