Shopping in Australia

Paulr

Guest The Pom Queen
Never had a problem with any white goods bought here? Same as the uk? I bought my brand new washer from the uk and it crashed within six months. My new washer has now been going for years, no probs? My clothes bought here don't fade either, only if I hang them in full sun, and obviously I don't hang them in full sun cos that's what fades them lol! Need I go on? Agree Paul 100 %

You have been lucky, we bought a fridge freezer when we first arrived it lasted 48 hours, then we bought a phone and it was faulty when we removed it from the box and Good Guys would not take it back (since then I know my rights and do not budge) we ended up with 3 Sat Phones faulty and managed to get a fourth one which touch wood is still working. This last couple of weeks our washing machine has gone (LG) our oven went (westinghouse) and the dishwasher, I suppose they were 2 years old but I would expect things to last longer. The fridge/freezer we now have has lasted 4 years but thats with numerous repairs.

As for childrens clothes and shoes the quality is terrible even Clarks shoes don't last as long as the ones in the UK. I have clothes here from the UK and even some I bought from a market in Hong Kong and they are a lot better quality. I am not saying all clothes are rubbish as I don't spend $100 on jeans, tops etc but anything from $10 - $60 just doesn't last.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Pom Queen
I'm just glad I can shop in some proper shops. When I went back to my home town at xmas several more shops had gone and been replaced by pound/bargain shops and all those terrible cash converter type places.

The high street is terrible in the UK right now

We heard this about the UK, all the shops being replaced by pound shops, it sounds dire

Guest Guest26012
You have been lucky, we bought a fridge freezer when we first arrived it lasted 48 hours, then we bought a phone and it was faulty when we removed it from the box and Good Guys would not take it back (since then I know my rights and do not budge) we ended up with 3 Sat Phones faulty and managed to get a fourth one which touch wood is still working. This last couple of weeks our washing machine has gone (LG) our oven went (westinghouse) and the dishwasher, I suppose they were 2 years old but I would expect things to last longer. The fridge/freezer we now have has lasted 4 years but thats with numerous repairs.

As for childrens clothes and shoes the quality is terrible even Clarks shoes don't last as long as the ones in the UK. I have clothes here from the UK and even some I bought from a market in Hong Kong and they are a lot better quality. I am not saying all clothes are rubbish as I don't spend $100 on jeans, tops etc but anything from $10 - $60 just doesn't last.

I guess everyone has different experiences eh?

Guest Guest26012

I don't think I'm lucky Kate tbh? Maybe you were unlucky?

Guest The Pom Queen

I can understand a one off MC but it's the same with all our electrical gear, pc's etc. I am not saying it's Oz specific but the quality so far has been terrible.

I can understand a one off MC but it's the same with all our electrical gear, pc's etc. I am not saying it's Oz specific but the quality so far has been terrible.

I think you've been really unlucky PQ. Might be the climate up there. Electrical stuff doesn't like damp, humid climate. We've had a westinghouse fridge/freezer with a water and ice dispenser for at least 10 years and it's been great. One of the best things we ever bought tbh, on tap cold water and ice, great for the kids. All we've had to do is replace the filter a couple of times.

Our washer is an indesit (Italian make I think) bought from Harvey Norman and my wife uses it almost daily. We had to have a control board replaced last year but we've had that for over 10 years. Like I said they don't make things especially naff for Aus, they are international manufacturers that ship all over the world.

Guest The Pom Queen
I think you've been really unlucky PQ. Might be the climate up there. Electrical stuff doesn't like damp, humid climate. We've had a westinghouse fridge/freezer with a water and ice dispenser for at least 10 years and it's been great. One of the best things we ever bought tbh, on tap cold water and ice, great for the kids. All we've had to do is replace the filter a couple of times.

Our washer is an indesit (Italian make I think) bought from Harvey Norman and my wife uses it almost daily. We had to have a control board replaced last year but we've had that for over 10 years. Like I said they don't make things especially naff for Aus, they are international manufacturers that ship all over the world.

I totally agree with the humidity, however this was in Melbourne as well. I also agree it's not an Oz specific thing in regards to electrical goods (clothes I do) because like you say they are shipped in from overseas maybe the banging around during transport makes them DOA I don't know.

I also found out recently that even though your warranty may be for 12 months if you buy a product like a dishwasher etc and it fails in month 13, consumer affairs say you still have a right to claim as it isn't fit for the purpose you bought it as it should last longer than 13 months. I must dig out the guidelines for this.

Funny as we had the new cooker installed yesterday Ariston (as we were limited to what we could put there) but it was DOA so he had to go back and get another one. So now we have a new one and it comes with a 5 yr warranty which I think is good.

Guest The Pom Queen
Built and furnished a house in Perth in 1987 moved back in 1990. The Microwave is still working 26 years later. The fridge is still working 26 years later.....................

That is how it should be, they just don't make them like that anymore :no:

I think you've hit the nail on the head there PQ. They make things to last a certain amount of time and keep changing colours and design of things. They are like fashion items. I've known my missus throw away a perfectly good kettle and toaster as she fancied some snazzy looking red ones that went with the kitchen better. I tried to give them away to some younger people at work with a new house and they didn't want them, they wanted new stuff.

I guess that's how the factories and manufacturing want it.

The Pom Queen has it in one. They literally don't make them like that any more.

If you go back and really compare things, the cost of appliances as a percentage of the average household income was considerable higher 30 or more years ago--but what we were buying was built infinitely better. Frames and sheet metal were heavier and stronger, wiring and electrics were simpler and heavier duty and so on. There also built in such a way that maintenance is much more difficult as well.

Nowadays, to keep costs to a minimum the quality is also at a minimum and things in our throwaway society are designed not to last. Frankly, besides the price, I'm sure there also an element of planned obsolescence forcing you to buy new every few years.

The amp and monitor speakers I use in my home recording studio are presently 36 years old. Nothing I could buy today could last a fraction as long.

Stupid - really?

All countries with a smaller population are geographically close to other countries so economies of scale and logistics apply.

The variety available in a small population country like the Netherlands is determined by the other 300+ million consumers in close proximity in Europe.

The Netherlands is a logistics paradise for sure, but this is not reflected in the variety and average price of goods to consumers :nah:. It is a bit of a myth, it goes down to (lack of) competition and family budget. Of course, if you have a 6 digits salary (or very close to 6 digits) and live in a relatively large urban area (not many) you will have access to all sorts of shops, restaurants, clubs ect. If not, you might be struggling to maintain the same quality of life as a family as you had in UK. I know of many couples and families moving back to UK or away after few years, and the cost of living vs salary is one of the major reasons for it.

UK is unique for shopping at present as far as I know, and has an incredibily good and large second hand market. I heard urban US and Canada are comparable but I really do not know from direct experience.

What about going native rather than looking for the Oz equivalent to Asda, M&S or Argos?

It would be good to know where and natives and long term immigrants go shopping to and how they manage, especially the ones on an average income or stingy :cool:

I find that if you pays the money you gets the good goods. Cheap is cheap and if you go for cheap problems go with the territory, be it clothes or electrical goods. They are cheap for a reason.

I am not saying you should head out there and buy the most expensive stuff but its good to shop around, have a look at brands, speak to trades people etc. My last washing machine which I gave to my daughter I was told by the guy who fixes washers make sure I buy the 7 kg machine and not the 5kg as the 5 is made in Asia and the 7 in Italy and is a stronger machine. Same with the dishwashers.

Phones I like Nokia people have gone off it but they go and go and go, bit like Toyotas, oh we have not got a Toyota anymore, ugh they need to make a new one that I might like the look of lol

The Netherlands is a logistics paradise for sure, but this is not reflected in the variety and average price of goods to consumers :nah:. It is a bit of a myth, it goes down to (lack of) competition and family budget. Of course, if you have a 6 digits salary (or very close to 6 digits) and live in a relatively large urban area (not many) you will have access to all sorts of shops, restaurants, clubs ect. If not, you might be struggling to maintain the same quality of life as a family as you had in UK. I know of many couples and families moving back to UK or away after few years, and the cost of living vs salary is one of the major reasons for it.

UK is unique for shopping at present as far as I know, and has an incredibily good and large second hand market. I heard urban US and Canada are comparable but I really do not know from direct experience.

What about going native rather than looking for the Oz equivalent to Asda, M&S or Argos?

It would be good to know where and natives and long term immigrants go shopping to and how they manage, especially the ones on an average income or stingy :cool:

Aus has a great second hand market for everything. My son is volunteering at Salvos a couple of days a week at the moment and they have some great clothes in there. A lot of them never worn, people buy stuff, it doesn't fit and they don't take it back for whatever reason. A lot of it ends up in Salvo's or Good Samys. Doesn't seem as much stigma here as the UK buying second hand either. I've bought a couple of pairs of levis from Salvos for $10 each.

Love browsing round the Cash Converters outlets too and there is always gumtree on line. I've bought a second hand mountain bike on-line and paid $700 for a carbon fibre, Time road bike. Bargain.

Aus has a great second hand market for everything. My son is volunteering at Salvos a couple of days a week at the moment and they have some great clothes in there. A lot of them never worn, people buy stuff, it doesn't fit and they don't take it back for whatever reason. A lot of it ends up in Salvo's or Good Samys. Doesn't seem as much stigma here as the UK buying second hand either. I've bought a couple of pairs of levis from Salvos for $10 each.

Love browsing round the Cash Converters outlets too and there is always gumtree on line. I've bought a second hand mountain bike on-line and paid $700 for a carbon fibre, Time road bike. Bargain.

+1

We half way furnished our house with second hand stuff when we arrived...we went new for the stuff we really cared about but things like our dining room table, bedside tables, guest room beds (but with new mattresses)and a ton of other stuff cost almost nothing second hand.

Similarly, my stepson is a fashionista but hangs out at St. Vinnie's. He's picked up two different designer jackets in mint condition for $5 each over the past 2 weeks.

Heck, I've even found six really good second hand mic stands online for a fraction the new cost! Oh, and my hi def video camera came from Cash Converters.

Same thought here, MC!

The only problem I can ever recall having with appliances was with the power head of a new Electrolux vacuum cleaner - power head replaced under warranty.

Clothes dryer still fine after 15 years

Microwave ditto after 22 years

Fridge ditto after 24 years

Stove/oven ditto 24+ years

(probably just jinxed them all, now:eek:)

Just replaced washing machine after 26 years. It was still possible to have it repaired but I decided I deserved a new one. :cute:

I do a fair bit of research before I buy anything, though, including brand reliability ratings.

Doesn't seem as much stigma here as the UK buying second hand either.

In fact it's seen as quite trendy by the hip young things around these parts - and also socially responsible...not to waste anything.

I've bought some great children's clothes in op shops...either never or hardly worn.

Can people tell me why they think shopping centres are so bad? And how they are different to some uk ones? The design quality of shops? What?

They're pretty similar and some of the biggest UK ones are Aussie-owned, like the Westfield's. Our local Aussie Westfield one is carpeted which seemed to disappear from UK indoor centres years ago, feels very plush. OK, I've never found anything i want to buy in there, but i like walking round it :-)

Guest Guest66881

Any modern creation as a certain life expectancy, nothing today will last 20 years or beyond, it's not economical anymore?

I remember a watchdog tv show years ago at how certain electrical companies are using chips with end time dates built into them, meaning when the component had done so many hours/years it just burned out or something?

Guest The Pom Queen
I find that if you pays the money you gets the good goods. Cheap is cheap and if you go for cheap problems go with the territory, be it clothes or electrical goods. They are cheap for a reason.

I am not saying you should head out there and buy the most expensive stuff but its good to shop around, have a look at brands, speak to trades people etc. My last washing machine which I gave to my daughter I was told by the guy who fixes washers make sure I buy the 7 kg machine and not the 5kg as the 5 is made in Asia and the 7 in Italy and is a stronger machine. Same with the dishwashers.

Phones I like Nokia people have gone off it but they go and go and go, bit like Toyotas, oh we have not got a Toyota anymore, ugh they need to make a new one that I might like the look of lol

We don't buy cheap, in fact I think we should as we would probably get the same use out of them.

Guest The Pom Queen
Same thought here, MC!

The only problem I can ever recall having with appliances was with the power head of a new Electrolux vacuum cleaner - power head replaced under warranty.

Just replaced washing machine after 26 years. It was still possible to have it repaired but I decided I deserved a new one. :cute:

I do a fair bit of research before I buy anything, though, including brand reliability ratings.

But that's what I am saying Skani, things 20 years ago were good quality unlike today

Guest The Pom Queen
Any modern creation as a certain life expectancy, nothing today will last 20 years or beyond, it's not economical anymore?

I remember a watchdog tv show years ago at how certain electrical companies are using chips with end time dates built into them, meaning when the component had done so many hours/years it just burned out or something?

Yes usually 1 day after the warranty has ended :wub:

Same thought here, MC!

Don't think I'd want to stand too close to a 22 year old microwave, when it was doing its thing..