Shopping in Australia

Paulr

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lakeside, Karrinyup, Whitfords to name a few...what's wrong with them? I don't get it.....I personally don't like huge shopping centres, too noisy, crowded and tempting. You go and convince yourself you need stuff you don't. I only go shopping here when I need something, unlike in England where it was a day out to escape the bad weather. I've got better things to do with my time here.

Lakeside, Karrinyup, Whitfords to name a few...what's wrong with them? I don't get it.....I personally don't like huge shopping centres, too noisy, crowded and tempting. You go and convince yourself you need stuff you don't. I only go shopping here when I need something, unlike in England where it was a day out to escape the bad weather. I've got better things to do with my time here.

Like spend it on here all day..!

Looks like your never know then

Obviously not then so ill go with my opinion with that they are fine, serviced by bus and rail links direct to the door, clean bright, well maintained, food court, play areas, baby changing, cafes restaurants and bars attached, smack in the centre with all other facilities.

Obviously not then so ill go with my opinion with that they are fine, serviced by bus and rail links direct to the door, clean bright, well maintained, food court, play areas, baby changing, cafes restaurants and bars attached, smack in the centre with all other facilities.

I think what he is referring too is the fact that there are 3 shops here that are in almost every shopping centre, Kmart, Big W, and Target (think poundstrecher). In the upmarket shopping malls you have the department stores David Jones and Myers which compared to John Lewis, Jenners, house of fraser etc are dire! The variety of shops here is terrible and every shopping center is almost identical to every other one in the City. The clothes shops are terrible unless you want a tshirt that will fade after 2 washes and shorts or flip flops. Even the choice of kids toys here is extremely poor.

I think what he is referring too is the fact that there are 3 shops here that are in almost every shopping centre, Kmart, Big W, and Target (think poundstrecher). In the upmarket shopping malls you have the department stores David Jones and Myers which compared to John Lewis, Jenners, house of fraser etc are dire! The variety of shops here is terrible

So no one thought before they migrated that a country of 23 million with 2.9 people per square kilometer might have less shopping variety than one with 66 million and 260 people per square km?

And people seem surprised by that? :wacko:

So no one thought before they migrated that a country of 23 million with 2.9 people per square kilometer might have less shopping variety than one with 66 million and 260 people per square km?

Over east is totally different to west.. In a positive way

There are plenty of counties with a smaller population that do not have such poor variety. What a stupid comment really! Australia's population is split mostly across 5 cities so the amount of ppl per square km is irrelevant. Perth has a population of around 2 million people.

There are plenty of counties with a smaller population that do not have such poor variety. What a stupid comment really! .

Stupid - really?

All countries with a smaller population are geographically close to other countries so economies of scale and logistics apply.

The variety available in a small population country like the Netherlands is determined by the other 300+ million consumers in close proximity in Europe.

Perth has a population of around 2 million people.

Perth's population is 1.8 million - about the same as the Leeds - Bradford area.

The nearest city to Perth (Adelaide) is 2100 kilometers away.

If the nearest city to Leeds was that distance away, it would be in Romania. Do you still imagine you would be getting the shopping variety you expect in Leeds?

Stupid - really?

All countries with a smaller population are geographically close to other countries so economies of scale and logistics apply.

The variety available in a small population country like the Netherlands is determined by the other 300+ million consumers in close proximity in Europe.

Perth's population is 1.8 million - about the same as the Leeds - Bradford area.

The nearest city to Perth (Adelaide) is 2100 kilometers away.

If the nearest city to Leeds was that distance away, it would be in Romania. Do you still imagine you would be getting the shopping variety you expect in Leeds?

Well it all comes from china so no excuses why WA can't have move quality/choice.. After all perths much closer to china than Bradford.

think your find its a closed market / monopoly situation.

Guest Guest26012
Can people tell me why they think shopping centres are so bad? And how they are different to some uk ones? The design quality of shops? What?

Its down to the individual really? If you're comparing them to shopping centres in other countries then its chalk and cheese. I remember when we first came here I did think the shops were a bit naff tbh. Now though, I love shopping here, I guess I just got used to it and its a way of life for me now. Having said that, I'll be bringing a few things back from the uk when we visit this year lol!

Well it all comes from china so no excuses why WA can't have move quality/choice.. After all perths much closer to china than Bradford.

Shipping costs are a very small part of the retail cost of clothes.

A major part, however, is the contract price paid to the manufacturer based on quantity - the larger the volume the less the retailer has to pay per unit. The major chains here are small fry compared to the chains in UK/Europe.

Retailers are only going to provide greater variety/quality if there is sufficient customer demand.

think your find its a closed market / monopoly situation.

How can there be a closed market/monopoly situation with the internet?

It is really easy to buy clothes online from the UK or USA if you don't like what's available locally.

Who cares on the shopping, its too expensive and like you say 10 years behind. I had a laugh to myself the other day, a very nice looking woman after work waiting for the bus. problem was she was literally wearing clothes from the 1980's. I thought I was in ferris bulers day off or something :biggrin:

Yes I love living in Subi, its close to everything, the house is a bit old and small but we don't have kids which is commented on further up. I pay a fair amount rent for the size but the I think I save money in other areas buy cycling everywhere I need to go and thus don't have a second car. Outer suburbs where you need a car to buy a pint of milk would cost the same in the long run I reckon.

If I had kids I probably would have chosen further out in little Britian as I wouldn't be out in town or any of the other areas where there is life.

I can tolerate the lack of choice. Not much of a fashion icon myself. But the quality is what annoys me and there is no excuse for it. Sick of buying things that are crap, break, clothes that wear out or fade after a couple of washes. Bought a microwave on Friday. Plugged it in, switched it on. Went for about 30 secs and died with a puff of smoke. Find the same thing with everything. It's as if the world uses Oz as a dumping ground for it's crap.

I had a laugh to myself the other day, a very nice looking woman after work waiting for the bus. problem was she was literally wearing clothes from the 1980's. I thought I was in ferris bulers day off or something :biggrin:

Problem for whom?

Maybe they were clothes from the 1980s? Maybe she bought them deliberately from one of the retro shops....because she prefers to use perfectly good clothing (which was better quality then than now) rather than being a mindless consumer who is using the earth's resources at 150% its sustainable level. Just a thought.

There are plenty of counties with a smaller population that do not have such poor variety. What a stupid comment really! Australia's population is split mostly across 5 cities so the amount of ppl per square km is irrelevant. Perth has a population of around 2 million people.

You say someone is making stupid comments and you came out with

I think what he is referring too is the fact that there are 3 shops here that are in almost every shopping centre, Kmart, Big W, and Target (think poundstrecher). In the upmarket shopping malls you have the department stores David Jones and Myers which compared to John Lewis, Jenners, house of fraser etc are dire! The variety of shops here is terrible and every shopping center is almost identical to every other one in the City. The clothes shops are terrible unless you want a tshirt that will fade after 2 washes and shorts or flip flops. Even the choice of kids toys here is extremely poor.

Talk about generalising. Everyone is wearing flip flops and shirts that fade after 2 washes? It's bunkum, I'm not a big shopper and have to need something to think of going to a shop but shopping centres here are quite nice places to visit. Generally plenty of room to walk around, clean, get a park easily enough and there are just as much choice as any I've been to in the UK. There are loads of shops doing fashion stuff in the City, not that I've been to any and I know my missus likes a morning with friends having a look round Karrinyup.

I would think in every shopping centre in the UK you are going to get certain shops, like Marks and Sparks, poundstretcher? that are in just about every one, bit like K Mart, Big W are here but there are loads more that cater for all tastes. I remember going to the trafford Centre and couldn't wait to get out the place. Shopping might be some peoples cup of tea but certainly not mine. Just an unwelcome necessity.

I can tolerate the lack of choice. Not much of a fashion icon myself. But the quality is what annoys me and there is no excuse for it. Sick of buying things that are crap, break, clothes that wear out or fade after a couple of washes. Bought a microwave on Friday. Plugged it in, switched it on. Went for about 30 secs and died with a puff of smoke. Find the same thing with everything. It's as if the world uses Oz as a dumping ground for it's crap.

Mate you just bought a naff microwave, could have happened anywhere including the UK. You don't think panasonic, LG etc. manufacture things that will break quicker just for the Australian market do you?:laugh:. It's happened to us. We bought a panasonic microwave that my missus liked 'cos it had a stainless steel front and fitted in with the rest of the kitchen. Inverter thing and not cheap. Inverter burnt out and we got it replaces under warranty. Same thing happened again after another month or so. Did a bit of checking on-line and there were reports from all over the world (including the UK) that that particular model had a faulty design. We bit the bullet, ditched it and bought another one that we've had for years without a problem.

It really gets my goat that people equate low quality with things available in Aus. The same stuff is available as just about anywhere else in the World, as someone else said most of it's made in China anyway, even your designer gear.

Look at how Volkswagen ads for ages went on about reliability and European design and manufacture, as if that made them superior straight away. Remember the add from not so long ago about "just like a golf". I really hope they've withdrawn that now after all the problems with the latest model and the recalls. Aussie made and imported gear is no worse than anywhere else. Mostly exactly the same brands and models are available.

Guest Guest26012
Mate you just bought a naff microwave, could have happened anywhere including the UK. You don't think panasonic, LG etc. manufacture things that will break quicker just for the Australian market do you?:laugh:. It's happened to us. We bought a panasonic microwave that my missus liked 'cos it had a stainless steel front and fitted in with the rest of the kitchen. Inverter thing and not cheap. Inverter burnt out and we got it replaces under warranty. Same thing happened again after another month or so. Did a bit of checking on-line and there were reports from all over the world (including the UK) that that particular model had a faulty design. We bit the bullet, ditched it and bought another one that we've had for years without a problem.

It really gets my goat that people equate low quality with things available in Aus. The same stuff is available as just about anywhere else in the World, as someone else said most of it's made in China anyway, even your designer gear.

Look at how Volkswagen ads for ages went on about reliability and European design and manufacture, as if that made them superior straight away. Remember the add from not so long ago about "just like a golf". I really hope they've withdrawn that now after all the problems with the latest model and the recalls. Aussie made and imported gear is no worse than anywhere else. Mostly exactly the same brands and models are available.

Never had a problem with any white goods bought here? Same as the uk? I bought my brand new washer from the uk and it crashed within six months. My new washer has now been going for years, no probs? My clothes bought here don't fade either, only if I hang them in full sun, and obviously I don't hang them in full sun cos that's what fades them lol! Need I go on? Agree Paul 100 %

I'm just glad I can shop in some proper shops. When I went back to my home town at xmas several more shops had gone and been replaced by pound/bargain shops and all those terrible cash converter type places.

The high street is terrible in the UK right now