For the Aus Doomer and Gloomers

Petals

http://www.theage.com.au/business/australian-position-enviable-20130731-2qzlg.html

Most economists know this but why oh why do we have so much doom and gloom about the economy. Even without the mining Aus has an enviable position in that we are a huge food supplier to the world. We are no 6 on the list of countries for internet shopping from other countries, not bad for our small population. We export all sorts of stuff other than iron ore. Sometimes people get lost in the west and forget that there is a whole other part of Australia beavering away, very very innovative people. We export hover crafts for instance which are made in a factory in Seaford in Melbourne. They are used in the USA and other areas where they need this sort of craft due to water tables etc.

Yes things are tightening job wise, but its not our country people who are not working. Its the city slickers who push paper around and they are always going to be under the gun as technology takes over their jobs. We just have to be one step ahead of the herd.

We also have to think outside the square many years ago government advised us that most people would have to change their careers more than once in a lifetime and that is so true. If you come over and its not working in your career, you have a skill already so that must be a boon. If on a permanent visa just do something else, think what am I interested in and do it. Put an ad in the local rag that is what most Aussies do when they are made redundant. There is more small business here and the service sector to people is growing all the time as they do not want to do the tasks that men/women normally do.

Who cares how you make money as long as you make it and its enough.

One of my friend's sons runs a porta loo business with a difference, his is environmentally friendly and he does all the big gigs out in the country and fairs and all that stuff, where there is muck there is money.

We get so slotted into "I have a degree", I am qualifed. That is not going to cut the mustard putting bread on the table. Take a leaf out of our asian Aussies, they do anything and lots of it to get a foot on the ladder.

Its not what you do when you arrive, its how you are fairing five years down the track.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't agree more . I watch the news program's and the financial experts all have nothing but positive comments about Australia's economy, bearing no relation to what I read on here more often than not. I read the posts from people raving about their experience in this or that field and how they can't get work even though they are " over qualified " and that they can get their pick of jobs back in the UK. Well they aren't in the UK now and it's not really that much if a shock that companies would rather hire someone with Aussie work experience , they are probably less likely to whinge about how behind Australia is and how back "home" we did it like this! I've taken a job that many would never lower themselves to do, but it's got me back on the ladder, given me valuable Aussie work experience and who knows what the future brings. Australia owes us nothing, it's up to us to make it work I reckon.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Ah But ...... My uncles, sisters cousin twice removed, owns a cat who belonged to a vicar, who was told at his sermon last week in Perth, that he heard on the grapevine that certain sectors are slowing down and there's a chance this century that Australia ...... Might go in to recession, lol.

:laugh::wub:

Ah But ...... My uncles, sisters cousin twice removed, owns a cat who belonged to a vicar, who was told at his sermon last week in Perth, that he heard on the grapevine that certain sectors are slowing down and there's a chance this century that Australia ...... Might go in to recession, lol.

:laugh::wub:

I sold that flipping pessimistic cat to that vicar. It was driving me crazy, forever whingeing about things. I think it had a pommy background.

Not sure if I count myself as a doom and gloomer.

I think we're going through a transitional phase. About 5 years ago people could move over here and probably get a job in their chosen field, or if not then at least a job to tide them over quite easily. The economy really was booming. But now even trades that were in huge demand then are struggling now. The problem is that there is a long lag before the prevalent economic message gets over to the UK. Most people take about 2 years between deciding to migrate and actually arriving. So anyone arriving now based their decision on the conditions of 2010/2011. Much has changed since then.

And the official sources of information are often skewed because they have a vested interest. Not just the obvious ones like migration agents. If you want to see a real sh*t fight, go on to Whirlpool and look at the threads where the ACS is still claiming there's a shortage of IT professionals.

That's why sites like this are important. And I think most important of all are the reports of those who've just arrived. They're telling it like it is, not like it was 5 years ago.

I absolutely agree that flexibility and hard work go a long way to securing success here (or anywhere else), but who would've thought that a carpenter would struggle to find work in WA? As far as I'm aware, carpentry is one of the few non "closed shop" trades left. And for the families in that position it must be really tough.

Just back to the original post:

>>We are no 6 on the list of countries for internet shopping from other countries, not bad for our small population

Actually thats _awful_ for a small population. Because it means we're not manufacturing here.

Anyway, the idea isn't to kick up a storm. It's to try and bring some balance to the issues so that prospective migrants get to see things from several different perspectives. Ultimately, they make their own decisions and live with the consequences.

Have noticed the doom and gloom bunch have been trying their best since I first logged on here in 2008. So far they have been right about diddly squat so bear that in mind when reading their 'advice'.

And I've noticed you're in Perth too. If you need some garage shelving doing, maybe give the guy from the carpenter thread a call and help him out. Or give him a job outright and really make his day. Or offer no ideas at all, wait til his savings have dwindled to zero and give him a lift to the airport.

Couldn't agree more . I watch the news program's and the financial experts all have nothing but positive comments about Australia's economy, bearing no relation to what I read on here more often than not. I read the posts from people raving about their experience in this or that field and how they can't get work even though they are " over qualified " and that they can get their pick of jobs back in the UK. Well they aren't in the UK now and it's not really that much if a shock that companies would rather hire someone with Aussie work experience , they are probably less likely to whinge about how behind Australia is and how back "home" we did it like this! I've taken a job that many would never lower themselves to do, but it's got me back on the ladder, given me valuable Aussie work experience and who knows what the future brings. Australia owes us nothing, it's up to us to make it work I reckon.

I agree and I am in this situation. I fully understand that companies would rather hire people with local experience and personally I have tried going for roles at all levels, nothing is beneath me. However, I keep being hit with the "too much experience" or "no local experience" and I am stuck when I can't even get basic admin roles. I am recovering from major surgery so should not get too down as realistically it will be another couple of weeks before I feel well enough to work, but I do find it depressing. When we applied for our visas there was lots of work available and agencies were telling me I would be snapped up as soon as I was in the country. Then between September and December last year, loads of HR people were made redundant in Perth and now there are up to 60 or 70 people applying for each role. My husbands work is only on this side of the country so moving East is not an option for us as it would be silly to give up a full time job to go somewhere where I might possibly be able to get a job but he wouldn't.

It is up to me to make it work, but right now, I am just not sure how. My husband does not earn a huge salary, we have the kids in childcare so I can get work, but I am struggling. If we pull them out of child care we would not find it a struggle at the end of every month, but then I would be looking at another 2 - 3 years before I could go back to work. It is really difficult.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/australian-position-enviable-20130731-2qzlg.html

Most economists know this but why oh why do we have so much doom and gloom about the economy. Even without the mining Aus has an enviable position in that we are a huge food supplier to the world. We are no 6 on the list of countries for internet shopping from other countries, not bad for our small population. We export all sorts of stuff other than iron ore. Sometimes people get lost in the west and forget that there is a whole other part of Australia beavering away, very very innovative people. We export hover crafts for instance which are made in a factory in Seaford in Melbourne. They are used in the USA and other areas where they need this sort of craft due to water tables etc.

Yes things are tightening job wise, but its not our country people who are not working. Its the city slickers who push paper around and they are always going to be under the gun as technology takes over their jobs. We just have to be one step ahead of the herd.

We also have to think outside the square many years ago government advised us that most people would have to change their careers more than once in a lifetime and that is so true. If you come over and its not working in your career, you have a skill already so that must be a boon. If on a permanent visa just do something else, think what am I interested in and do it. Put an ad in the local rag that is what most Aussies do when they are made redundant. There is more small business here and the service sector to people is growing all the time as they do not want to do the tasks that men/women normally do.

One of my friend's sons runs a porta loo business with a difference, his is environmentally friendly and he does all the big gigs out in the country and fairs and all that stuff, where there is muck there is money.

We get so slotted into "I have a degree", I am qualifed. That is not going to cut the mustard putting bread on the table. Take a leaf out of our asian Aussies, they do anything and lots of it to get a foot on the ladder.

Its not what you do when you arrive, its how you are fairing five years down the track.

Why would being number 6 on the internet shopping list be seen as a positive? Odd. I'd say it would suggest Australia is over priced and folk are refusing to pay the rip off prices and such figures reflex this fact.

If anything it is having a negative effect on the economy apart for delivery drivers who disperse these purchases.

I agree with a lot of what you say. However, the end of the piece is interesting to note. Europe / US are gaining. But, the BRICKS are showing a lot of issues. Particularly china. At the moment the debate is no longer on if china will slow, but if it's in for a soft or hard landing. How this affects Oz is going to be debatable. But, Oz has linked in economy very closely to china and there is likely to be a similarity between the economic relationship as there was between the UK and the US in the 80's - 90's - the bigger partner sneezes and the smaller gets the flu.

The economy will be affected by the minerals downturn. How badly overall and to what extent I don't think anybody knows and I think it will vary across the nation.

I agree with Flag of Convenience on point 6 about the internet shopping.For me it shows retailers in Australia need to lower their prices and be more competitive.

There is another side to this, for many it is convenient to shop on line simple as that. We currently live in a "tourist" town, there is not one major retailer here well except Big W and the supermarkets. If you want large stores be it tiles for the bathroom, electrical equipment, Clothing ( we have expencive boutique shops selling clothes for the tourists) then we need to drive 90km to larger stores. There are the sick and elderly as well who are now taking to the internet to do the shopping. The lesson for Australian shops and manufacturers is get yourself a good easy to use web site with competitive prices and fast delivery to supplement your store down town. Australia geographically is very different to the UK, unless you live say with in an hour of a capital City or major country town, you cant just catch a bus 2 miles and do your shopping, you need to get in the car and drive somewhere, so shopping on the internet makes sense.

Have noticed the doom and gloom bunch have been trying their best since I first logged on here in 2008. So far they have been right about diddly squat so bear that in mind when reading their 'advice'.

Completely missed the point of the article.

It is not about migrants and how they feel......it is about the general feeling in the country

I guess those wanting to emigrate are not totally happy in their country of residence or they wouldn't want to leave. I know there are other reasons, too, but by far the majority are looking for something different and/or better.

What has that got to do with doom and gloom in the general economy?

But if you are an engineer - you're not going to sweep streets. You'll stay in the uk. It's a no brainer. Why should you have to accept less to move to Australia?

for many it is convenient to shop on line simple as that.

But the original quote was:

>>We are no 6 on the list of countries for internet shopping from other countries

In other words, imports. The issue isn't that people shop online, it's that they get stuff sent in from abroad. The reasons for this are varied, but a high Aussie dollar, high VAT threashold, and, yes, high local price in store all contribute. But, regardless of the reasons, importing anything sends money out of the country. To balance this you need to have exports too, and traditionally that's the tough end of the equation.

But the original quote was:

>>We are no 6 on the list of countries for internet shopping from other countries

In other words, imports. The issue isn't that people shop online, it's that they get stuff sent in from abroad. The reasons for this are varied, but a high Aussie dollar, high VAT threashold, and, yes, high local price in store all contribute. But, regardless of the reasons, importing anything sends money out of the country. To balance this you need to have exports too, and traditionally that's the tough end of the equation.

Well with the Aussie $ dropping buying from O/C especially the US is not as attractive, but still comes back to my comment that local sellers, including manufactures need to get an internet site - many do not have a web site. With so many people shopping on line if you can show a good product at a "reasonable" price most Aussies would prefer to buy from Australian suppliers, but they cant buy if we don't know they have product to sell. Exports ? yes well that is a difficult area with all the taxes and red tape our government place on maufacturers

Exports ? yes well that is a difficult area with all the taxes and red tape our government place on maufacturers

Come on, cheer up. You don't want to be labeled a doomy gloomy meanie :)

With the dollar dropping it's bound to be good news for all of us. Except anyone moving back to the UK, obviously. Or anyone who likes to holiday abroad. Or anyone with a V6 ute towing a V8 boat.

Sadly food production will unlikely be the salvation of Australia. If agriculture was a high value source of export earning, New Zealand for one would not be a low wage economy and an exporter of people.

Of course being able to feed oneself is very important but hardly likely to replace metals in value at the moment anyway.

Indeed Australia will continue to export raw materials , but at a far diminished price.

There will not be the money to throw around in stimulating the economy as was the case during Rudd's first term of parliament. A lot largely wasted but it saved Australia from a downturn and possible recession. The cost of that was no future fund for later to get us through rocky times ahead.

Now a European economist saying Australia is in a enviable place compared to EU isn't saying very much. It is like saying a man in declining health is better off than the fellow on life support. True enough but still hardly the point.

Everything is relative. Also I suspect Australians have far more personal debt than Europeans so the pain can be very sever even with a more moderate decline.

To say no economists voice concern is plainly not factual. Naturally government related sources will talk up the economy but independent economists do wonder what is going to replace the decline in mining.

Hi All, thanks for your interesting posts. I am new to this site and your viewpoints on Oz seem to be more balanced than other depressing stuff I have read on here!

My own situation is that I am an UK citizen from London, who has been living in Southern Ireland to be closer to family for the past 7 years. Ireland is seriously down in the dumps - no jobs to speak of and all the twenty year olds emigrating cos they just cannot get work. All v depressing and add to that the fact it rains constantly and I mean constantly and life is pretty crap!!! I am highly skilled in my profession (HR) with 20 years experience and I know I could have my pick of jobs in London, with salary to go with it, but I would much rather take my chances on a shot at Oz; which is supposedly a country where you can seize opportunities!!??????????? I have no qualms about doing whatever to get established and after it took us a good 3 years to make proper friends here I know that it would be really tough at first settling in to a new country with different culture, work practices, etc. But sometimes you just have to go for things and make them work!

Again thanks for interesting posts!

A hopefully not whinging Pom who would love to move to Oz for a better life for my LO's and us -- even though it might be tough going!! :wink:

Without the stimulus packages back then things would have slowed at the very least . At the 700,000 unemployed and 800,000 under employed meaning they could work anything from an hour a week. Not to say how many have dropped out of the work force all together. Still some can make light of the situation.

You may but at some point the price must be too high. That's great for 24 year olds, older folk may not wish to start from the bottom necessarily.

I'm not 24 ( I wish! ) but I'm starting at the bottom , can't be helped , I can't do here what I did back in the UK I've had to accept that, I don't have to , I could go back and very likely jump back into my old job but, I won't because I choose to stay here , it's completely worth it to me, it may well not be for others but maybe they just don't want to make that compromise. Also I appreciate I'm not the main bread earner so the pressure isn't on me as much as some.

Archived