Cost of Shopping

AJ

Why do people continually say Perth is more expensive than the rest of Australia for groceries. I have just compared a dozen things I regularly buy and they are exactly the same price.

I agree. There are one or two things that are more expensive if you have to buy exactly the same things you'd buy in the uk but equally some are cheaper. Meat is a good example. Just opened up a pack of chicken and couldn't believe how much was in there compared to what you'd get in the uk. Not pumped full of water either. And the steaks are huge for the money! Picked up a bag of giant tiger prawns in subiaco market this weekend that were a bargain

It is definently slightly dearer in Perth, not much but just abit more. I just moved back here from Sydney and I can say with confidence that it is marginly higher over here for whatever lame excuse! But if they say freight thats crap because it is even dearer than 2 years ago when I was here last.

What I noticed from work trips is that it's dearer to drink out in pubs here. That might be due to all the happy hours around the holiday places in Sydney and Melbourne though, found you could swing a good couple of hours where you could get $5 pints.

Buying booze in Dan Murphy's or other outlets though is cheap as anywhere else. We always go for the specials, bottles of wine for between 5-10$ some of which is really good. No wonder the kids get smashed at home before going out. If a few boozers charged decent prices for a few hours, early, they could knock the binge drinking on the head overnight.

Really don't understand all the moaning about Australia being expensive.

If life such a struggle here why does there seem to be way less poverty here than back in the UK. I'm yet to walk in area of Brisbane where i've felt on edge at all. Very rare to feel like this in a UK city/town. I don't see many homeless people. Most people seem to drive and own a car etc.

It's only expensive if spending pounds. I'm sure Thai people spending baht find the UK expensive :biggrin:

I woudn't know, but it begs the question as to whether Woolies and Coles charge different prices in different parts of the country. Does anyone know?

I swear the two woolies nearest to me have different prices for the same items!! Are they like franchises then where managers set their own prices.

example: woolies reduced all the Monsters University toys a couple weeks ago. Woolies in Carramar had items half price, down from $15 to $7.50 and $5 down to $2.50. Looked a few days later at Woolies Lakeside Joondalup, the $15 toys were only down to $10, and the $5 ones were $3.50. Wtf????

Interesting question. A while back there was a shopping basket comparison of the same items in different parts of Australia and the groceries in Brisbane were more expensive than the same ones in Perth. That surprised me because of everything I have read on here. It was in the Courier Mail here and it could've been that they had their own agenda with the article of course.

Interesting question. A while back there was a shopping basket comparison of the same items in different parts of Australia and the groceries in Brisbane were more expensive than the same ones in Perth. That surprised me because of everything I have read on here. It was in the Courier Mail here and it could've been that they had their own agenda with the article of course.

I do hope that newer members of the site realise that there are about 5 or 6 loud-mouthed posters on here whose impartiality and reliability of information is [approximately] directly proportional to Jimmy Saville’s babysitting skills.

In other words, best avoided.

They are easy to spot and usually frequent Perth related threads.

If life such a struggle here why does there seem to be way less poverty here than back in the UK. I'm yet to walk in area of Brisbane where i've felt on edge at all. Very rare to feel like this in a UK city/town. I don't see many homeless people. Most people seem to drive and own a car etc.

It's only expensive if spending pounds. I'm sure Thai people spending baht find the UK expensive :biggrin:

It's because the UK has had a recession, if there was one here you may think differently.

Sorry can't agree with you about the poverty thing or feeling safe thing either.I've lived in 8 different places in the UK over 12 years and never felt unsafe in any of them.As for the poverty?Ever driven round a council estate in Oz?No?Give it a whirl one day,its an experience.I should know too because many years ago its where my OH and I first started off.Not a pleasant experience,but hey as long as the sun's shining!:laugh:

Sorry can't agree with you about the poverty thing or feeling safe thing either.I've lived in 8 different places in the UK over 12 years and never felt unsafe in any of them.As for the poverty?Ever driven round a council estate in Oz?No?Give it a whirl one day,its an experience.I should know too because many years ago its where my OH and I first started off.Not a pleasant experience,but hey as long as the sun's shining!:laugh:

Do they have council estates in Aus? I've never seen one. I grew up on a coalboard estate in the UK, which is much the same I reckon. Was a bit rough and ready but never felt dangerous.

Guest Guest26012

No "council " estates as such. Homes West housing tends to be mixed in within the suburbs., in Perth, that is. Lived on a council estate, a lot of years ago, in the uk, never felt unsafe at all.

Why do people continually say Perth is more expensive than the rest of Australia for groceries. I have just compared a dozen things I regularly buy and they are exactly the same price.

I lived in Brisbane a few years ago and I am now living in perth and I have found perth cheaper for food, I used to spend $350 pw for 5 of us and now I am spending approx. $400 pw for 7 of us, go figure.

Harvey Norman is the same, My mum took me Electric blanket shopping (for her not me) and she got one for $89, later the same day I walked down to my local shopping centre and went into another Harvey normal were exactly same blanket was $110, I asked about this and the girl said that stores have power to set own pricing with the exception of some national advert campaigns

Do they have council estates in Aus? I've never seen one. I grew up on a coalboard estate in the UK, which is much the same I reckon. Was a bit rough and ready but never felt dangerous.

NO they don't, another major reason Australia pisses all over the UK.. they mix the houses in, which is great, because say ur a kid from a shitty family in the UK, ur in some sink housing estate with no hope. In Australia, if u want to, u have a chance to meet nice friends and mix with nice people and maybe just maybe make a better life for yourself.

NO they don't, another major reason Australia pisses all over the UK.. they mix the houses in, which is great, because say ur a kid from a shitty family in the UK, ur in some sink housing estate with no hope. In Australia, if u want to, u have a chance to meet nice friends and mix with nice people and maybe just maybe make a better life for yourself.

Not sure about the UK estates but mixing the houses in isn't a good thing either because the people that get (homeswest) houses are generally refugees or native australians, they can cause trouble for other residents so you have you be careful and abit more aware about where you buy / rent here in Perth. Don't mean to sound racist but it is what I have seen first hand many times.

Heard the other day in Kmart - horrible skanky mother screaming at four year old - "shut the F*ck up -am fuc*kin sick of your shi*te the day"! Doesnt matter where they live the poor kid has got no chance with a mother like that! And would you be happy after paying $500,000 for your house to live next door to that??

I wouldn't go as far as that mate. Like I said before I grew up on a pretty rough estate and most of my mates were from there. Doesn't mean you have to write yourself off, just as many clever people on that estate as anywhere else, maybe not handed everything on a plate but a lot of them have done pretty well.

I think when you grow up in a place like that you know that no-one is going to give you anything and it's down to the individual to get off their backside and achieve. Another thing is you're pretty street wise and know people who can get things done, not always by following the most lawful route.

I see you're point about the mix though, my eldest secondary school had kids from all walks of life. Some had millions, nice houses, boats, some came from Homeswest. Didn't matter where you were from as to who you hung around with. Once in school you soon find people who are on the same wavelength, you don't check where they live first.:cool:

Not sure about the UK estates but mixing the houses in isn't a good thing either because the people that get (homeswest) houses are generally refugees or native australians, they can cause trouble for other residents so you have you be careful and abit more aware about where you buy / rent here in Perth. Don't mean to sound racist but it is what I have seen first hand many times.

Agree you have to be careful when checking out properties. You need to have a good look round at the neighbours places and try and have a chat with a few before moving in. Some of the rentals can be as bad, if not worse than the homeswest. We have a rental across the road from us and it had a young couple in with 3 kids for a while. They were OK to talk to and my youngest hung around with one of the kids, he came round to our place a lot and was always OK and polite. We heard them having massive screaming matches a time or two though and she spoke to her kids like the lady in woolies in the post above. When my youngster used to go round there place he used to tell me they swore at each other all the time. Luckily he thought it was funny.

They let the house go a lot too, eventually got evicted and the owner had to spend a lot to clean it up.

Heard the other day in Kmart - horrible skanky mother screaming at four year old - "shut the F*ck up -am fuc*kin sick of your shi*te the day"! Doesnt matter where they live the poor kid has got no chance with a mother like that! And would you be happy after paying $500,000 for your house to live next door to that??

I have one of those a couple of houses down, you can hear her screaming from the backyard its ridiculous some people are just feral!

Archived