Perth most expensive city in Oz

VERYSTORMY

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ptp113
Yes and its a boring hole much like Perth..

Boring is between the ears. Intelligent people never get bored!

I guess so, I must just spend too much I think because I couldn't imagine having a family and trying to live on a household income of $92k in Perth.

So you do the sensible thing and not have one, till you can afford it.

But some people earn less, and they have massive families. It *must* be affordable.

I was happy as a poor student, working and getting paid enough for rent food, and 50 quid a week for going out.

I earn more now, and am just as happy. But I have always spent up to my means-ish.

Geez, not a nice situation for him hey... Poor bugger. As someone else said, what's he floggin? Was seriously thinking about shipping a HSV back to the UK as they are very rare birds there and fetch a pretty good penny by all accounts.

HSV's are sold in the UK from Vauxhall cheaper than here. GTS here is 100k (AUD), in the UK it's 55k (GDP).

In Perth money and status is absolutely everything to the locals. Do you live somewhere else?

Really? I'd suggest that the 'locals' you know, are not really local.

Best data i coild spot says average is just under $85k a year.

I read it here :- http://news.domain.com.au/domain/real-estate-news/perth-tops-the-nation-with-mortgage-and-rent-20120622-20s7k.html

$92k. But typically, no details on where it got the numbers from. (but it is Perth, not WA)

Sorry I should of quoted Hoffs post about comparing the cost if stuff back to pounds.

I don't mind paying $25 for a meal but I expect it to be of a good quality...same with clothing etc..,.

Exactly. The thing is $25 being rather normal at the cheaper end in fact, and very ordinary. That is what we locals complain about. Not the rate one may pay in Berks or where ever. The quality is usually at best ordinary to say the least but they attempt to squeeze the maximum amount.

Folk here are rather poor at complaining in OZ for obvious reasons so do tend to get shafted all too often. All the often it's an attitude of suck it up as there's nothing we can do. I certainly can do something, namely refuse to pay for over priced, over rated inferior products.

Guest Guest26012

We usually pay between $20 to $25 for a lunch out. That's usually a pub lunch. I don't mind that and if its not good, then I will complain. That's each by the way. We cook a lot at home between friends and we enjoy that much better! I'd rather spend my money on a nice bottle of wine to go with the home cooked meal.

Let's get back to the original post which was about the cost of living in Perth.

Firstly, it is realistic to live in Perth on an average wage if you cut your cloth accordingly and choose to live in a less expensive area so its not a case of Perth being unaffordable.

However, the real issue is the actual cost of living in Perth. I don't care how much people earn because whether you earn 60k or 200k, the cost of a coffee or a pack of strawberries is the same and the issue is not the wages people earn but the value of what you are buying. If you are going to pay $25 for lunch then I would expect good service and an excellent bit of grub, but the reality is that everywhere you go, you pay stupid money for crap service and average products. What makes it even worse is that the people providing the product or service don't care and often look at you as if to say, "Well it's Perth". Clothing is of a chocking standard unless you are willing to pay a ridiculous price and rent is a farce. One week the rent is $500, the next week after a lot of interest, the landlord has decided that it is now $620.

The fact of the matter is that Perth has just grown on absolute greed. Everyone wants a piece and where they can make more money they will. People harp on about the fact that its remote and stuff has to be imported, but thats just propaganda. FIFO has played a big part in prices surging, but then who would blame someone for taking stupid money to clean or drive a truck in the mines. The reality comes back to the fact that people are greedy and will charge as much as they can for a sub standard service and product. Before anyone starts on about overheads and premise costs, I have been to a number of restaurants that sell their food for a reasonable price and provide a great service. They are packed every night and flourishing so it can be done. There just seems to be a culture of getting as much money for as little effort as possible here (yes I know thats a generalisation) and its disgusting.

Before anyone jumps in, yes I know I have a choice to buy things or not and to be honest, outside of the necessities, I refuse to part with hard earned dollar for absolute rubbish.

Perth is a beautiful City, beautiful beaches and beautiful parks, but spoilt by a culture of greed and sub standard service.

Guest Guest26012
Let's get back to the original post which was about the cost of living in Perth.

Firstly, it is realistic to live in Perth on an average wage if you cut your cloth accordingly and choose to live in a less expensive area so its not a case of Perth being unaffordable.

However, the real issue is the actual cost of living in Perth. I don't care how much people earn because whether you earn 60k or 200k, the cost of a coffee or a pack of strawberries is the same and the issue is not the wages people earn but the value of what you are buying. If you are going to pay $25 for lunch then I would expect good service and an excellent bit of grub, but the reality is that everywhere you go, you pay stupid money for crap service and average products. What makes it even worse is that the people providing the product or service don't care and often look at you as if to say, "Well it's Perth". Clothing is of a chocking standard unless you are willing to pay a ridiculous price and rent is a farce. One week the rent is $500, the next week after a lot of interest, the landlord has decided that it is now $620.

The fact of the matter is that Perth has just grown on absolute greed. Everyone wants a piece and where they can make more money they will. People harp on about the fact that its remote and stuff has to be imported, but thats just propaganda. FIFO has played a big part in prices surging, but then who would blame someone for taking stupid money to clean or drive a truck in the mines. The reality comes back to the fact that people are greedy and will charge as much as they can for a sub standard service and product. Before anyone starts on about overheads and premise costs, I have been to a number of restaurants that sell their food for a reasonable price and provide a great service. They are packed every night and flourishing so it can be done. There just seems to be a culture of getting as much money for as little effort as possible here (yes I know thats a generalisation) and its disgusting.

Before anyone jumps in, yes I know I have a choice to buy things or not and to be honest, outside of the necessities, I refuse to part with hard earned dollar for absolute rubbish.

Perth is a beautiful City, beautiful beaches and beautiful parks, but spoilt by a culture of greed and sub standard service.

dont disagree with your post tbh! It is expensive and we cut our cloth accordingly! But we were never big spenders in the uk so we aren't depriving ourselves.

Yes but those simple pursuits could be conducted in other countries with a far cheaper cost of living than Australia. But I agree those things cost little to participate in once set up in Perth. It's just that many folk want more from life than mere toys and hot weather...

I don't find 5 star resorts very appealing myself. In that case Perth possibly would be better. Still some great reasons to get away though.

Agreed and that's what we used to go away for when we lived in the UK. Now we don't have the expense.

It's just that many folk want more from life

The other things are here too, all the stuff I mentioned that I like doing are added extras.

You have clearly defined your view of what life style means to you. That's fine and I agree. Lifestyle is also used as a concept which equates to money often big money. It is something akin to young folk buying into a house, that their parents perhaps wouldn't have thought about purchasing until into their 40s. Where as the kids want it in their 20s. All on credit of course together with the car and trimmings.

I don't think that's changed at all over the years. My parents had there own home in their 20's, on a mortgage obviously, moved into a bigger (3x2 semi) when they were in there 30's as they had 2 kids. I didn't see people waiting till they were 40 to buy a house and it's no different today.

It's always been a struggle to get on the housing ladder and my parents didn't have a car, phone, laptops, mobiles to think about. My Dad smoked a lot and used to go to the pub a fair bit, that would have been there only outgoings. I think it was much tougher then but no-ne was waiting until they were 40 to buy a house.

what about Darwin? It also has some of the most expensive accomodation prices in OZ

Supply and demand. It's a growing City with a lot of new business and people having to go up there. The hotels will charge as much as they can.

I like Darwin, been up there a few times on work trips, top place.

Take a look at how Fremantle has declined. It is a shadow of its former self.

It's looked like that for the 21 years we have lived here. I like Freo, it has some good pubs and restaurants, we don't go there often enough. Usually busy when we go.

Hi All,

I agree Perth is one of the expensive city in world BUT same way you earn well in almost all the job, which makes sense.

As far as crime is concerned its everywhere, its all upto you "how alert you are"?

Is it? How's it changed?

I don't think It's changed much at all Que. In fact it's improved a lot if anything. The Little Creatures Brewery was a crocodile park when we first went down there, we took my Mum and Dad years ago. All the area around there has been done up with the nice board walks, cafes, brewery, nightclubs, restaurants. The park has been refurbished, more restaurants and pubs in the town. Don't know what flag is on about tbh.

However, the real issue is the actual cost of living in Perth. I don't care how much people earn because whether you earn 60k or 200k, the cost of a coffee or a pack of strawberries is the same and the issue is not the wages people earn but the value of what you are buying.

But if you earned 30k in the UK and a pint was 3 quid .. and now you earn 90k and a pint is 9 bucks .. it's the same %age of you wage.

Stop looking at the UK or over east, as you are not there. It's like living in London and complaining that a pint of bitter is 2 quid in the working mens club in Yorkshire.

Is it? How's it changed?

It's now full of hipsters and hippies, not druggies and dead beats. "Highway to Hell" and all that.

I'm not sure if that's better. But it's different.

I think I know why FlagOC has picked to have a go about Fremantle. There is an article on the front of todays West, about the council wanting to put a youth park in and the oldie residents opposing it. I can see their point tbh, They want to put it in the nice park that is usually full of kids and families. It's going to have a world class skate park and a parkour setup. Whilst I'm not against either of these I think they could have picked a better spot and left the great nice park well alone.

It sounds like a good idea but a skate and parkour facility would be bound to attract some people that would maybe create a bit of a nuisance and not blend in well with kids and families. Might not be such a nice place to go for families at the weekend. There are plenty of other places around Freo they could put something like that. Maybe up near the port would be better, plenty of concrete and parkour stuff ready made there. Leave the park as it is.

Give a medal to this post. This is how it is regardless of income.

I think I know why FlagOC has picked to have a go about Fremantle. There is an article on the front of todays West, about the council wanting to put a youth park in and the oldie residents opposing it. I can see their point tbh, They want to put it in the nice park that is usually full of kids and families. It's going to have a world class skate park and a parkour setup. Whilst I'm not against either of these I think they could have picked a better spot and left the great nice park well alone.

It sounds like a good idea but a skate and parkour facility would be bound to attract some people that would maybe create a bit of a nuisance and not blend in well with kids and families. Might not be such a nice place to go for families at the weekend. There are plenty of other places around Freo they could put something like that. Maybe up near the port would be better, plenty of concrete and parkour stuff ready made there. Leave the park as it is.

Fremantle has been adrift for sometime. It came into itself in 1986 with The America's Cup. The work carried out attempting to make it international standard was considerable. I recall it before, a rough at least around the edges working class town to the changes brought about by the Cup. Being away for some years abroad the changes for me were very noticeable.

Prior to the Cup there was even a long debate with regards to outside eating. A strong argument by the wowsers (anti social activity, weather too hot, flies) wanted as usual all to remain in place. Thankfully better sense won out and the coffee strip was born.

Sadly in recent years the area has declined. Shops closing, Meyers pulling out, the ugly eye sore near the port still vacant after all these years. The purchasing of a lot of property by the Uni of Notre Dame sucked a lot of the life out of the West End, the café strip is a poor example to what it was a decade ago. Overtaken by chain cafes with most of the originals sold out.

Hopefully new ideas will pump new life into Fremantle. I for one who was a regular visitor to the town back in the 90s wouldn't probably go more than three times a year at present.

I don't think that's changed at all over the years. My parents had there own home in their 20's, on a mortgage obviously, moved into a bigger (3x2 semi) when they were in there 30's as they had 2 kids. I didn't see people waiting till they were 40 to buy a house and it's no different today.

It's always been a struggle to get on the housing ladder and my parents didn't have a car, phone, laptops, mobiles to think about. My Dad smoked a lot and used to go to the pub a fair bit, that would have been there only outgoings. I think it was much tougher then but no-ne was waiting until they were 40 to buy a house.

The difference being kids wanting the full deal to begin with rather than starting low and working up. Depending on country referred to Australia has had a strong home buying cultural for a long time. Britain not so at least until the 80s. House prices were easier in many respects and harder in others with mortgage rates being very high at times.

A house was purchased as more of a home than a money making process which came about due to easy credit and becoming a major economic activity.

Fremantle has been adrift for sometime. It came into itself in 1986 with The America's Cup. The work carried out attempting to make it international standard was considerable. I recall it before, a rough at least around the edges working class town to the changes brought about by the Cup. Being away for some years abroad the changes for me were very noticeable.

Prior to the Cup there was even a long debate with regards to outside eating. A strong argument by the wowsers (anti social activity, weather too hot, flies) wanted as usual all to remain in place. Thankfully better sense won out and the coffee strip was born.

Sadly in recent years the area has declined. Shops closing, Meyers pulling out, the ugly eye sore near the port still vacant after all these years. The purchasing of a lot of property by the Uni of Notre Dame sucked a lot of the life out of the West End, the café strip is a poor example to what it was a decade ago. Overtaken by chain cafes with most of the originals sold out.

Hopefully new ideas will pump new life into Fremantle. I for one who was a regular visitor to the town back in the 90s wouldn't probably go more than three times a year at present.

I dont know so much about how it has changed, as only been in Oz 5 years. But, have to say, i am not much of a fan of it. It always reminds me of Middlesbrough (dock town) and comes across as a bit of a scruffy dump - that massive empty building is probably one of the reasons. I cant understand why it has not been torn down.

I spent 2 years living in Perth..What a joke that place is..an over priced rip off of a place..I hate it there. Endless boring suburbs full

of all the nationalities you get in the UK, so no different at all..I really feel sorry for the new migrants who have made a dreadful mistake

for falling for all the dream destination bullshit that Perth and WA are definately are not...have finally found my paradise in tasmania..

Agreed and that's what we used to go away for when we lived in the UK. Now we don't have the expense.

The other things are here too, all the stuff I mentioned that I like doing are added extras.

Well actually all the other stuff is obviously isn't on offer in Perth. Hence the move away of so many young. There are not the career opportunities available for one. There lacks an urban environment, density that creates a street life, nor is there the diversity in cultural and intellectual pursuits available in large cities. There is a distinct lack in choice and business pursuits, shopping and non sporting interests. Provencial pursuits certainly do not suit all tastes.

Archived