Perth most expensive city in Oz

VERYSTORMY

In your opinion PB. How long is it since you were in Perth now? Our 18 year old couldn't wait to get back after our UK hols. He missed just being able to go to the beach with his mates and play on his board for an hour or 2. There are plenty of teenagers and younger people having a great time here with no complaints.:cool:

Paul that's ok when you are a teenager but be honest if you were in your 20s 30s and had moved away from home would you honestly see yourself living in Perth fir the next 20 years...be honest.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Paul that's ok when you are a teenager but be honest if you were in your 20s 30s and had moved away from home would you honestly see yourself living in Perth fir the next 20 years...be honest.

Mate I would have loved it, just as much as I love it now. Might have been just like my youngster with spare cash to go on holidays. I certainly was when I was his age. Used to go abroad a few times a year and loved it. Didn't have the 3 months opportunity he just had and had to settle for 3 weeks max at a time. Until I was a student that is. Only problem then though was I had no money. :frown:

Ah well, can't have it all I suppose.:cool:

I expected to enjoy my time when I worked in London. I was living in Manchester and the company were paying for me to travel to London on Monday and back Friday. Paying for a hotel in Teddington, where the company was based. Loved Teddington, Bushy Park, Teddington Lock pub but the job involved looking after computer networks in and around London, so we were trying to drive and park places all day to get the job done. Used to get back to Teddington after work and park the car up and just hang around the local area. Found that the other people working for the company were mostly broke and living off the credit cards most of the time. About 6 of them shared a house in Teddington and if they didn't get back from work before 5 they could easily spend an hour driving round the area looking for somewhere to park for the night, then have to walk home from wherever they had parked. Only a couple of them were Londoners and the others were there thinking they would be able to move down London for a few years, save some money and move back home. Hadn't worked like that for any of them.

We had a few company outings and that was the only time I knew the others go out at night. Luckily I caught up with a mate who I was at Uni with who had moved down there and we used to go for a few games of squash and a couple of pints. That same friend now lives down the road from me in Perth as he was sick of the "rat race" after a few years down there. He was from Manchester originally.

Working down there was the most stressful job I've had. Have you been to Perth from Friday lunchtime onwards? Pubs are packed.

What's this rat race everyone bangs on about? You are what you are, I have lived in London and it was good and relaxed, public transport is brilliant and I felt very chilled there, you could say anywhere in the world is a rat race if you want to, it's the person not the place.

Mate I would have loved it, just as much as I love it now. Might have been just like my youngster with spare cash to go on holidays. I certainly was when I was his age. Used to go abroad a few times a year and loved it. Didn't have the 3 months opportunity he just had and had to settle for 3 weeks max at a time. Until I was a student that is. Only problem then though was I had no money. :frown:

Ah well, can't have it all I suppose.:cool:

Fair enough but I could not, I need my trips to Europe and I need a city that is alive and vibrant, as I say if you like it that's great but for me I need a lot mire and found it boring, I ain't a beach person who likes lying around doing nothing I need stimulation, I found after 12 months I had seen everything I needed in perth and I don't want to see the same things constantly....each to their own though.

Yep. In my last team, 5 were ozzies, the rest Poms. Of the ozzies, 3 had been to Bali and nowhere else. The boss had left QLD for the first time and the other didn't expect to ever leave. Chatting round a beer on evening to lots of the miners (it is part of my job). Most had never had a passport - 60%. About 35% had been to Bali, the rest had been beyond. I used to encourage them to see more of the world as it's also important for their jobs - as the industry has slowed in Oz, a number of companies are looking for Oz miners to act as mentors.

In the professional areas, I have always been disappointed in the lack of travel of geologists / engineers as I see it as vital to their careers. I have even offered all expenses paid conferences to Oz proffessionals that they have declined.

Honestly?

Wow. I'm trying to think of the least traveled Aussie I know, and even they have done months in Southern Europe, Asia & America.

Where most have lived abroad for a few years at least (Europe, Africa, South America).

On the flip side, I know people in the UK that don't have passports.

Yep. In my last team, 5 were ozzies, the rest Poms. Of the ozzies, 3 had been to Bali and nowhere else. The boss had left QLD for the first time and the other didn't expect to ever leave. Chatting round a beer on evening to lots of the miners (it is part of my job). Most had never had a passport - 60%. About 35% had been to Bali, the rest had been beyond. I used to encourage them to see more of the world as it's also important for their jobs - as the industry has slowed in Oz, a number of companies are looking for Oz miners to act as mentors.

In the professional areas, I have always been disappointed in the lack of travel of geologists / engineers as I see it as vital to their careers. I have even offered all expenses paid conferences to Oz proffessionals that they have declined.

Maybe they're just happy with their lot VS and not chasing the mighty dollar.

Maybe they're just happy with their lot VS and not chasing the mighty dollar.

Nope. I have never chased the $$$. In fact I am in Oz on serious pay cut (40%). Have always gone where I thought the country / job would be interesting. That, and like both of us, where we felt our wives would be happy.

Nope. I have never chased the $$$. In fact I am in Oz on serious pay cut (40%). Have always gone where I thought the country / job would be interesting. That, and like both of us, where we felt our wives would be happy.

Well if you've taken a pay cut of 40%, you're on that sort of money and you can't afford a $1million place I reckon you must have spent it on fast cars and faster women VS. Whatever you must have had a good life so far mate.

Guest Ptp113

Nearly everybody I worked with in IT went OS at least once a year, and I'm not talking about Bali. WA is different though, always has been, always will be!

I think if would've lived in the outer suburbs of Melbourne I wouldn't have felt trapped. I lived inner city and it got a bit much sharing an apartment with 2 mates and having the fights down stairs most nights. It's when I moved to Brisbane that I felt at home in Australia being a good mix of both night life / going out and relaxation and natural beauty (I love to go weekends away in the bush). Melbourne has some nice mountain wilderness quite close by as well, my wife is from Melbourne but doesn't really miss it, it's Brisbane we prefer.

Brisbane has gotten a lot more expensive over the last couple of years as well, I remember it being the most expensive city in OZ, but I find it hard to believe seeing the totally absurd prices here in Perth.

Not all is bad about Perth. It's got a nice city, the river front is beautiful and you've got the beach nearby. It's just that we don't feel like we fit in, people seem to mostly care about material stuff and social status. Something we don't really care about.

But saying that, there is pretty much a city in OZ for everyone.

Each to their own of course but the outer suburbs of Melbourne would have the opposite effect on me. I'd be inclined to go for Geelong or countryside Vic if has rural aspirations.

I would suggest similar experiences that you found in Inner Melbourne could be found in outer Perth suburbs. Kewdale and those Eastern suburbs spring to mind. I live in the inner city and never had any problems.(well my bike was stolen last xmas but failed to secure it, so am partly to blame) In fact I would go as far to say the location being a big factor into why. Rowdy Irish nationals on occasion being a slight irritant.

Perth is indeed very material. This has progressed at a rate of knots over the years sadly, but is Brisbane really so different?

I expected to enjoy my time when I worked in London. I was living in Manchester and the company were paying for me to travel to London on Monday and back Friday. Paying for a hotel in Teddington, where the company was based. Loved Teddington, Bushy Park, Teddington Lock pub but the job involved looking after computer networks in and around London, so we were trying to drive and park places all day to get the job done. Used to get back to Teddington after work and park the car up and just hang around the local area. Found that the other people working for the company were mostly broke and living off the credit cards most of the time. About 6 of them shared a house in Teddington and if they didn't get back from work before 5 they could easily spend an hour driving round the area looking for somewhere to park for the night, then have to walk home from wherever they had parked. Only a couple of them were Londoners and the others were there thinking they would be able to move down London for a few years, save some money and move back home. Hadn't worked like that for any of them.

We had a few company outings and that was the only time I knew the others go out at night. Luckily I caught up with a mate who I was at Uni with who had moved down there and we used to go for a few games of squash and a couple of pints. That same friend now lives down the road from me in Perth as he was sick of the "rat race" after a few years down there. He was from Manchester originally.

Working down there was the most stressful job I've had. Have you been to Perth from Friday lunchtime onwards? Pubs are packed.

I know or knew the area well having lived on a houseboat on the Teddington side of the bridge. I did find after awhile preferred West London to socialize but a couple of decent pubs along the river on the Richmond side were very fair but the braying of the Richmond Hill mob at times warranted escape. Also the area was not as cosmopolitan as used to and the West was where it was all happening before the East End really took over in the latter 90s.

All I can say is I never felt to be a part of the rat race. Was out most evenings, had a social life beyond imagination here and work was relaxed certainly compared to recent times.

Would it be the same today? Probably not. The changes being imposed on that city was partly why I left.

Almost none of the Australians I know have ventured abroad other than Bali. Pretty much every one I know in the UK has travelled long haul. Most have done several continents.

As Paul wants to give a personal example, then here are ours.

Between me and my wife we have lived in:

Israel

Germany

France

Falkland islands

Peru

Chile

England

Australia

China

Places where I have worked in addition but not being resident

Tunisia

DRC

Tanzania

Uganda

South Africa

Places where we have travelled for holidays

Antarctic

Denmark

Holland

Italy

Spain

Belgium

Switzerland

Sweden

Thailand

USA

Sri Lanka

Maldives

UAE

Probably several more, but without checking old passports that's what comes to mind.

I am by far not the most traveled of my friends.

But I'm not sure what it suggests listing a lot of countries. Folk can go to many yet live apart in an almost cacoon of their making. For example an Aussie that goes for a week or so pee up in Bali,(or stay in a 5 star hotel) can come away without knowing Bali is in Indonesia, anything about the customs and never learn a word of the language.

Must be similar to the UK Benidorm mentality.

Out of my team, I'd say only half were actually born in Aus, and the Aussies are the ones who are more traveled (the UK, SA and America seem common destinations for work, Asia and Europe is common for Holidays).

A friend has been to Bali something like 25 times (but also to the States and Europe several times). She seems to use it like a weekend break with the girls. Bali is closer than Sydney though, and was traditionally cheaper.

• 2 months later...
I agree it can be expensive. No more so then eating out that's for sure. See fuel is going up tomorrow too..

but at the end of the day, would you expect to pay 2* star prices to live in a 5* resort.

just saying:rolleyes:

Haha yes but dont forget we do have a 5* location and weather.. even if its 2* resort

I've always found Aussies to be very well travelled. It's like any country the poorer one's tend to be less travelled than the better off for obvious reasons

Almost none of the Australians I know have ventured abroad other than Bali. Pretty much every one I know in the UK has travelled long haul. Most have done several continents.

Wow, really, that must colour your opinion of Australians...I'm Australian and I struggle to think of any Australian friend who hasn't travelled, most extensively. I can understand some of your other posts better now...I find the UK and Australia have a similar spread of people with those interested in travel and those who are less so.

Archived