Perth most expensive city in Oz

VERYSTORMY

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Ropey HOFF
I think the majority of people living in Perth and writing how bad it is here think things have only gone up in Perth Hoff. Maybe they think the rest of the World has stood still over the last 5 or 6 years. My son is in Barcelona this week, he was in London a couple of weeks ago and he was expecting it to be cheap. He found it expensive and said he would be glad to get to Spain. He had just been to the Greek Islands and Croatia so after that I guess London would be expensive.

Apparently Spain is a lot cheaper too.

I think a lot of folk even though they say they don't, but they do still compare the cost of things using the pound and the current exchange rate of the Oz dollar. Wages in the UK have gone down by £52 billion pounds and there's been an increase of well over a million more people in work at the same time. I know I have mentioned this before, but ..... These figures are incredible. I think the cost of living in Perth is high, but so are the wages for skilled migrants, but the cost of living is high here in the UK as well. The good thing about threads like this, is that it lets people know before they emigrate that it isnt cheap in Australia and to try to gain a wage over there at least 2.3 times more than you UK wage, if not you will Definately struggle.

Yep, pretty much!!

It's a vicious cycle though I have to admit - left university with 5 credit cards maxed out, 3 student accounts all maxed with overdrafts and a student loan. Added it up at one point and it was somewhere around the £45k mark - not bad for 3 years at uni, 21 years old and no job.

9 years later I have £800 of that original debt left, all paid back. Swore I'd never be in that position again....hmmmm!

The thing about saying no....I have done for a few things believe it or not, all the girls are doing some burlesque classes, 6 classes on a thursday night $140 a pop - I'm the only one that said no because I thought it was expensive. Trouble is, we are still new here and trying to make friends, we've found saying no means you get left out of future things organised (and have lost one so-called friendship group this way).

You sound like my nieces back in the UK Nic. They both have massive debts since they left Uni. One is married and has just had her 3rd kid, they have an interest only mortgage, maxed out the loan to have an extension on the house not long ago and they are both teachers. She hates the job and can't wait to quite. She just says "everyone else does it". As though that makes it OK. They are in negative equity too and wanted to move to a bigger place but couldn't get a loan.

The other niece is a bit younger and has always had a bit more common sense. She still came out of Uni with a massive loan but is an architect, started her own business and is doing OK. Bought a house and is getting married soon but they have refurbished their house themselves.

You are mixing with the wrong people if they are spending money like that and leaving you out just because you don't go to a couple of things. Those people sound a bit shallow to me. Who would pay $140 a pop for burlesque classes, whatever they are. Get yourself and your hubby a couple of mountain bikes and get out exploring at weekends. Take a packed lunch with you, save yourself a fortune.:wink:

I think the majority of people living in Perth and writing how bad it is here think things have only gone up in Perth Hoff. Maybe they think the rest of the World has stood still over the last 5 or 6 years. My son is in Barcelona this week, he was in London a couple of weeks ago and he was expecting it to be cheap. He found it expensive and said he would be glad to get to Spain. He had just been to the Greek Islands and Croatia so after that I guess London would be expensive.

Apparently Spain is a lot cheaper too.

Folk would have to be odd to think that anywhere has stayed the same. No it is a question of the amount Perth has gone up. even think Perth could in any sense relate to London prices would have been considered daft until several years ago. Perth may have been a socially inept sort of place but all from here knew you could return and live a comfortable sort of life renting or buying and getting on with life with little fuss throughout the decades.

It was an easy place to live without a lot of money with little social exclusion. These changes are what those that have known the place a long time feel in part what the negative change is all about.

I agree lifestyle has different meanings to different folk. Although it comes with a pretty large price label on the Perth package.

Nothing expensive about going to the beach, paddling a surf ski, going for a mountain or road bike ride with my kids, a board paddling session with the kids or friends, running, going to the surf club gym, going for a swim in one of the many 50m outdoor pools. All pretty cheap and the type of things I would be doing if I stayed in a 5 star resort somewhere.

We are staying in Sentosa Island on the way back from the UK and I know I can have a better time a home on weekends as I won't have the surf ski or any of my other toys their.

I think a lot of folk even though they say they don't, but they do still compare the cost of things using the pound and the current exchange rate of the Oz dollar. Wages in the UK have gone down by £52 billion pounds and there's been an increase of well over a million more people in work at the same time. I know I have mentioned this before, but ..... These figures are incredible. I think the cost of living in Perth is high, but so are the wages for skilled migrants, but the cost of living is high here in the UK as well. The good thing about threads like this, is that it lets people know before they emigrate that it isnt cheap in Australia and to try to gain a wage over there at least 2.3 times more than you UK wage, if not you will Definately struggle.

I saw a post yesterday from someone returning to the UK after 26 years (or something close) and they were still converting prices from dollars to pounds to prove to themselves how much cheaper things were in the UK. Why torture yourself?

So basically we've established and agreed that Perth is indeed an expensive place to live but that that fact matters little to many who love it as they prefer to involve themselves with low cost or free activities thus contributing to the elusive Quality of Life (QOL)

Win Win! We're all winners in Perth :)

So basically we've established and agreed that Perth is indeed an expensive place to live but that that fact matters little to many who love it as they prefer to involve themselves with low cost or free activities thus contributing to the elusive Quality of Life (QOL)

Except for the ones that want the Jet ski, the Porsche 4 wheel drive, the 5 bedroom house by the beach with a pool, the boat and then moan about the cost of it all.:wink:

In Perth money and status is absolutely everything to the locals. Do you live somewhere else?

In my experience only by other Brits! Go to an Aussie party mix with Aussies they care far less about income and their cars are often bushwhackers and the boats tinnies! It's the must have it all right away that are the braggers!

Nothing expensive about going to the beach, paddling a surf ski, going for a mountain or road bike ride with my kids, a board paddling session with the kids or friends, running, going to the surf club gym, going for a swim in one of the many 50m outdoor pools. All pretty cheap and the type of things I would be doing if I stayed in a 5 star resort somewhere.

We are staying in Sentosa Island on the way back from the UK and I know I can have a better time a home on weekends as I won't have the surf ski or any of my other toys their.

Yes but those simple pursuits could be conducted in other countries with a far cheaper cost of living than Australia. But I agree those things cost little to participate in once set up in Perth. It's just that many folk want more from life than mere toys and hot weather...

I don't find 5 star resorts very appealing myself. In that case Perth possibly would be better. Still some great reasons to get away though.

You've contradicted yourself there Flag. The best things in life are free to some.

I don't see how. Lifestyle is a word used often in real estate terms meaning expect to pay the price to..

live in the inner city

live in a blue ribbon suburb

live close to the beach

live walking distance to a café strip and etc

We can life a cheaper life that agrees with our individual wants and needs which is slightly different. Nothing or very little is free though, apart from fresh air and beach. They'd charge for them if they felt able as well....

A lifestyle change being something else again.

Guest Ptp113
Yes but those simple pursuits could be conducted in other countries with a far cheaper cost of living than Australia. But I agree those things cost little to participate in once set up in Perth. It's just that many folk want more from life than mere toys and hot weather...

I don't find 5 star resorts very appealing myself. In that case Perth possibly would be better. Still some great reasons to get away though.

"None so blind as those who cannot see"

That might be only in that dodgy suburb that you live in dusty. Where we live no-one gives a toss about money and status.

It's odd you and a few others think along those lines. I of course don't mean wrong as it's your impression but being a long termer and raised in part here I definitely think money and status does play a big role here.

It may not be along the same lines as UK ....as the situation is not as strongly focused on class. But status and money and size of house and suburb definitely have a role to play. As in England not everyone partakes but Aussies do indeed like roles, power and status.

It is not some land of equality and non judgement of others. Appearances due to casualness in dress and not speaking out aloud about it often certainly in my view make it any the less real.

Guest Ptp113
I don't compare prices...only did for around a month....it is what it is....

Agree. Comparing prices does nothing but keeps one mentally back in Blighty.

Why do you think everybody earns more than they did before...? And why cant you see that the everyday stuff your buy is much more expensive in Australia than the uk, so if you are earning more it gets eaten straight up. You keep beating the drum about wages going down but can't see that you're just coming out of recession. People struggle here week to week in the current climate, how do you think people will be finacally when the down turn really starts to hit home...? Be interesting what you think on it

Yayyyy .... I don't usually win anything :wink:

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Why do you think everybody earns more than they did before...? And why cant you see that the everyday stuff your buy is much more expensive in Australia than the uk, so if you are earning more it gets eaten straight up. You keep beating the drum about wages going down but can't see that you're just coming out of recession. People struggle here week to week in the current climate, how do you think people will be finacally when the down turn really starts to hit home...? Be interesting what you think on it

Where have I said everyone earns more than they did before?

You aren't here in the UK you only have your own personal experience of living in Australia.

I am beating no drum about wages going down, it's a fact, something you don't seem to understand, at least wages have gone up over the last five years in Australia, they have gone downin the UK.

You say people there struggle from week to week, it's no different here in the UK.

You keep banging the drum yourself of the impending financial doom Australia is about to suffer, which might, or might not happen, well we have had it for the last five years here in the UK and people just have to get on with it.

Your completely negative views on everything Australia just means to me, your posts are pointless. I told you before, get the hell out of there and leave Perth to the majority of people who love it. It can't be good for you, your posts are very negative to the extreme, to me your over cooking the negativity, just looking for a reaction.

I agree lifestyle has different meanings to different folk. Although it comes with a pretty large price label on the Perth package.

On the one hand you say lifestyle has different meaning to different people but then go onto to say it comes at a steep price..I argue that it needn't and that depends on the individuals definition of a good lifestyle? What don't you get about that? For example walking distance to a coffee strip and living close to the cbd or in a prestigious suburb matters not a jot to me, nor affects my QOL. There are also many things that are free, not just beach and sun. I'd say that most of our outings cost no more than the cost of the fuel and a couple of coffees..we usually bbq or picnic, if we do lunch its more expensive clearly but many Perth residents spend 'not a lot' on their leisure pursuits. This is due largely to the fine climate we enjoy here. Rarely a hindrance as often touted on here, rather enabling us to do more at low cost. Rain definitely stops play here. Therefore my QOL based on my preferred leisure pursuits is far higher here than in the UK where the weather definitely impacted. So not only am I richer in spirit Im also richer in pocket due to spending less on having fun.

Where have I said everyone earns more than they did before?

You aren't here in the UK you only have your own personal experience of living in Australia.

I am beating no drum about wages going down, it's a fact, something you don't seem to understand, at least wages have gone up over the last five years in Australia, they have gone downin the UK.

You say people there struggle from week to week, it's no different here in the UK.

You keep banging the drum yourself of the impending financial doom Australia is about to suffer, which might, or might not happen, well we have had it for the last five years here in the UK and people just have to get on with it.

Your completely negative views on everything Australia just means to me, your posts are pointless. I told you before, get the hell out of there and leave Perth to the majority of people who love it. It can't be good for you, your posts are very negative to the extreme, to me your over cooking the negativity, just looking for a reaction.

Hoff you don't understand recessions, yep wages have gone down but they was never going to go up was they...? I've lived in both countries so I'm more qualified to comment than yourself. I have my own agenders in perth and when there done I'm off. 100% the economy is slowing, but you believe what you want. Good luck with your move and carry on with the two point this and two point that conversions . If only it was that simple for people.

On the one hand you say lifestyle has different meaning to different people but then go onto to say it comes at a steep price..I argue that it needn't and that depends on the individuals definition of a good lifestyle? What don't you get about that? For example walking distance to a coffee strip and living close to the cbd or in a prestigious suburb matters not a jot to me, nor affects my QOL. There are also many things that are free, not just beach and sun. I'd say that most of our outings cost no more than the cost of the fuel and a couple of coffees..we usually bbq or picnic, if we do lunch its more expensive clearly but many Perth residents spend 'not a lot' on their leisure pursuits. This is due largely to the fine climate we enjoy here. Rarely a hindrance as often touted on here, rather enabling us to do more at low cost. Rain definitely stops play here. Therefore my QOL based on my preferred leisure pursuits is far higher here than in the UK where the weather definitely impacted. So not only am I richer in spirit Im also richer in pocket due to spending less on having fun.

You have clearly defined your view of what life style means to you. That's fine and I agree. Lifestyle is also used as a concept which equates to money often big money. It is something akin to young folk buying into a house, that their parents perhaps wouldn't have thought about purchasing until into their 40s. Where as the kids want it in their 20s. All on credit of course together with the car and trimmings.

Guest JK2510
To my mind it has nothing to do with comparing prices. More to do with seeking value on how money is spent. Often very hard to square here in Perth.

Sorry I should of quoted Hoffs post about comparing the cost if stuff back to pounds.

I don't mind paying $25 for a meal but I expect it to be of a good quality...same with clothing etc..,.

Guest JK2510
Hoff you don't understand recessions, yep wages have gone down but they was never going to go up was they...? I've lived in both countries so I'm more qualified to comment than yourself. I have my own agenders in perth and when there done I'm off. 100% the economy is slowing, but you believe what you want. Good luck with your move and carry on with the two point this and two point that conversions . If only it was that simple for people.

There is something going on for sure...stores closing down,people being made redundant,interest rates being cut,people struggling to find work.....definately not all sunshine and roses.

Archived