Perth most expensive city in Oz

VERYSTORMY

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ptp113

No surprises there. When I was looking nationally for a later model BMW upgrade the WA prices were ludicrous

I agree it can be expensive. No more so then eating out that's for sure. See fuel is going up tomorrow too..

but at the end of the day, would you expect to pay 2* star prices to live in a 5* resort.

just saying:rolleyes:

I agree it can be expensive. No more so then eating out that's for sure. See fuel is going up tomorrow too..

but at the end of the day, would you expect to pay 2* star prices to live in a 5* resort.

just saying:rolleyes:

No. But i think the issue is we pay 5* price to live in a 2* resort.

Guest Guest26012

but some of us don't mind that?

Do you have ANYTHING good to say about Perth? Why don't you just live somewhere else? You work FIFO anyway so am sure you can find somewhere that would suit you for a week at a time!

Do you have ANYTHING good to say about Perth? Why don't you just live somewhere else? You work FIFO anyway so am sure you can find somewhere that would suit you for a week at a time!

Verystormy is evidently a thinker and realist. Having only spent 6 months in Perth (2x house breakins, 1x dirt bike stolen, 1x car breakin & a spray painted car) I'm going out on a limb here and going to put forward the hypothesis that both of the former are in pretty short supply ATM. Head in (Cottesloe) sand springs to mind.

Very good if you are what my mate (paid off trendy pad in Northbridge) terms a Perth 'winner' - very average existence if not.

'Winner'

A person or family that moved to Perth pre 2000 and had the genius idea to buy a house. Now has a very friendly banker from Westpac telling them on a regular basis that they are 'paper millionaires' hence why not take out some equity to;

- Buy a new 4x4 ("I am a milllllllionaire in my new SUV - get out of my way scum, I am better - hence faster - hence move over so I can do 108kph")

- Buy a new boat

- Buy a new jet ski

A Perth winner.

Guest Guest26012
Verystormy is evidently a thinker and realist. Having only spent 6 months in Perth (2x house breakins, 1x dirt bike stolen, 1x car breakin & a spray painted car) I'm going out on a limb here and going to put forward the hypothesis that both of the former are in pretty short supply ATM. Head in (Cottesloe) sand springs to mind.

Very good if you are what my mate (paid off trendy pad in Northbridge) terms a Perth 'winner' - very average existence if not.

'Winner'

A person or family that moved to Perth pre 2000 and had the genius idea to buy a house. Now has a very friendly banker from Westpac telling them on a regular basis that they are 'paper millionaires' hence why not take out some equity to;

- Buy a new 4x4 ("I am a milllllllionaire in my new SUV - get out of my way scum, I am better - hence faster - hence move over so I can do 108kph")

- Buy a new boat

- Buy a new jet ski

A Perth winner.

Raelist I struggle with. Optimist, I prefer? Having lived in Perth for nearly six years, nil house break ins, nil car damage, nil crime, to us, at all, it's a different story from yours.everyone has a different tale to tell. Hard luck is you are the victim of a crime, not nice. Some of us have made, and are making it work. It is expensive here but we are all aware of that. No heads in sand here.

Having lived in Perth for nearly six years, nil house break ins, nil car damage, nil crime, to us, at all, it's a different story from yours.everyone has a different tale to tell. Hard luck is you are the victim of a crime, not nice. Some of us have made, and are making it work. It is expensive here but we are all aware of that. No heads in sand here.

Ditto .. been here 6.5 years and had none of the things mentioned. Is it expensive - Yes, will it stop us living here - no. I think when you don't like living somewhere then you'll see negatives wherever you go and think about them a lot - I see the negatives, they don't impact too greatly on my contentment - so I don't spend too long worrying about them.

Ditto .. been here 6.5 years and had none of the things mentioned. Is it expensive - Yes, will it stop us living here - no. I think when you don't like living somewhere then you'll see negatives wherever you go and think about them a lot - I see the negatives, they don't impact too greatly on my contentment - so I don't spend too long worrying about them.

Sounds like a bloody good way of approaching things to me :-)

Raelist I struggle with. Optimist, I prefer? Having lived in Perth for nearly six years, nil house break ins, nil car damage, nil crime, to us, at all, it's a different story from yours.everyone has a different tale to tell. Hard luck is you are the victim of a crime, not nice. Some of us have made, and are making it work. It is expensive here but we are all aware of that. No heads in sand here.

Yep, and fair play to you dude.... My mate was funny though (now doing an MBA in London of all places) - he used to actually go home after work (St Georges Tce) and wait till about 9pm to go back out so as to avoid all the 'winners'.... Oh how we did laugh :-)

'Winner'

- Buy a new boat

- Buy a new jet ski

A Perth winner.

A fair few of them winners though are about to find there paper millions are not worth as much as they think they are. One of the guys round the corner from us emailed to ask if we would be interested in buying any of his toys. He works at my old site as a shift boss on $200k and has the big house and a garage full of toys. But just learned that on monday, along with a lot of others he will be losing his job and chances of finding something that pays even half that are zero. Panic is setting in. Seeing it a fair bit now.

Perth will in time to back to how it was pre boom, the cheapest place in Australia . And rightly so considering all the factors. It's funny how a city can go from the cheapest in Australia to the dearest within a decade with no improvements at all to justify them. How the minority have made it almost unaffordable to the majority . Correction needed.. Correction on its way

A fair few of them winners though are about to find there paper millions are not worth as much as they think they are. One of the guys round the corner from us emailed to ask if we would be interested in buying any of his toys. He works at my old site as a shift boss on $200k and has the big house and a garage full of toys. But just learned that on monday, along with a lot of others he will be losing his job and chances of finding something that pays even half that are zero. Panic is setting in. Seeing it a fair bit now.

Would your man by any chance have a jet ski for sale?

That by the way is a serious question, I am after buying a 2nd hand jet ski, but it would be nice to buy from someone who could be vouched for rather than a random from gumtree

Ditto .. Been here 2.5 years and not seen any crime.

Love the city and love the life it's enabled me to have. Work hard, and play hard.

Any negatives, I work to minimize them or avoid them.

But not everyone earns 5* salaries, I think that's the crux of the matter - what about the 'average' family, how do they cope?

They must cope .. otherwise they wouldn't exist.

Average household salary in WA is over $92k. That's a lot higher than most *cheaper* countries.

Not everyone is obsessed with money or status. A winner has nothing to do with financial gain and everything to with personal contentment and achievement (which means different things to different people) Maybe the Perth 'losers' Are those more preoccupied with material and financial wealth? Just my two penneth....

Would your man by any chance have a jet ski for sale?

That by the way is a serious question, I am after buying a 2nd hand jet ski, but it would be nice to buy from someone who could be vouched for rather than a random from gumtree

I will email the wife to pop round and get back to you by pm

Guest Ptp113
But not everyone earns 5* salaries, I think that's the crux of the matter - what about the 'average' family, how do they cope?

Stay in Blighty if you can't afford it!

...as for crime...live in a so called 'rough' area but up and coming. We've had our car number plates stolen...I think that's all in 4 and a half years...oh my sons scooter was nicked from the park when our backs were turned..thought that was pretty low but hardly CrimeWatch stuff...

They must cope .. otherwise they wouldn't exist.

Average household salary in WA is over $92k. That's a lot higher than most *cheaper* countries.

I guess so, I must just spend too much I think because I couldn't imagine having a family and trying to live on a household income of $92k in Perth.

Archived