Car Rego

Misplaced

Hi all,

I know I can look this up on the Internet but I would like to here it from the horses mouth.......so to speak.

The quandary I have and to be fair it is a good one and I'm not complaining and that is I have had a job offer in Canberra and it also looks like I am going to have one for Albury, NSW.

What I would like to know is how much is car rego in Canberra, NSW & VIC? Having had a quick look Vic seems very, very expensive but I may have this wrong.

I look forward to you responses.

Mis

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OK. I'm feeling charitable.

My last rego was $696.50.

Bear in mind a lot of this is the Transport Accident Commission premium. I'm not sure if it is the same in the other states, but this is the insurance that covers you for medical expenses in a car accident.

I don't know anyone who takes the cost of car tax (rego) into consideration when choosing where to live. Seriously?

I was thinking the same thing. Rent maybe and location definitely, but car rego? Ah well.

Well if you look where Albury is on the map you may you understand why I'm asking......then again......you may not!

Thanks for the reply though!

unless you have a fleet of cars, the rent would factor more

unless you have a fleet of cars, the rent would factor more

It's a tossup of living in Albury, NSW or Wodonga, VIC so was trying to get an idea of car rego costs as if one is $100s of dollars cheaper then we would look at that area first.........as the rentals aren't too much different. Also, schooling will obviously come into it......car rego isn't the main thing just trying to weigh everything up!

Must be having to live in a recession for the last 5 years that does it........

OP does it really matter THAT much how much difference there is?Are you going to be on that much on a tight budget?

Not that great a deal but look after the cents and the $s will look after themselves!

It isn't the be all and end all just curious and it would be useful to know......others may want to know as well but never asked!

Guest Ptp113
Not that great a deal but look after the cents and the $s will look after themselves!

It isn't the be all and end all just curious and it would be useful to know......others may want to know as well but never asked!

Far more important things to think about than the cost of rego. Lived in 4 states/territories and never considered rego fees

Albury and Wodonga are joint towns!Just for the record those towns are nice actually.Can't comment on Canberra as I've never been!Car rego is expensive,but in the scheme of things,if it were me,I wouldn't be worrying about that cost diff so much!I'd be looking more at both job offers,where you'll be living,easy drive from home,pay,variety of shopping etc.

Albury and Wodonga are joint towns!Just for the record those towns are nice actually.Can't comment on Canberra as I've never been!Car rego is expensive,but in the scheme of things,if it were me,I wouldn't be worrying about that cost diff so much!I'd be looking more at both job offers,where you'll be living,easy drive from home,pay,variety of shopping etc.

Albury is in NSW and Wodonga is in Vic.......well that's what google tells me.

We really like Albury as it looks like our kind of place and seems to have plenty of sports for the kids. Albury high school looks okay as well.

At the end of the day if the Albury offer doesn't come through I have Canberra to fall back on......;-)

The rego thing isn't massive just trying to understand the differences.

Rentals seem a good price as well.

The drive home in Albury will be much better than Canberra ....lol

Guest sidster

In Victoria your rego cost includes your compulsory third party in insurance,In NSW it is not you will have to get your greenslip(third party insurance) from one of the insurance companes also your car will have to have an e-safety check yearly in NSW same as Mot but in victoria this is only required if you sell your car

Yes another rip off..Car rego for one year down in Tassie $590...Its not exactly a high income state down here, but the parasites still love to milk us dry..But the worst part about this

is a big part of this $590 rip off, is GST and then would you believe it a stamp duty charge also on top of that..So they are basically charging you 2 x VAT if this was the UK..So blatant

its beyond belief..But yet no one complains, they just pay it..

Yes another rip off..Car rego for one year down in Tassie $590...Its not exactly a high income state down here, but the parasites still love to milk us dry..But the worst part about this

is a big part of this $590 rip off, is GST and then would you believe it a stamp duty charge also on top of that..So they are basically charging you 2 x VAT if this was the UK..So blatant

You are a little ray of sunshine... 358GBP including third party insurance doesn't seem half bad to me.

Maybe you should explain that you are being charged "2 x VAT" because you are making 2 quite separate payments:

1 - registration of the vehicle

2 - personal injury insurance (which, in many other jurisdictions, is a completely separate payment).

Here it is included in the one payment for your convenience but apparently...is just "another rip off ".

The total annual cost for my car registration in Tasmania is $199.55 (includes $20 stamp duty).

The total annual cost for my MAIB premium (personal injury insurance) is $275.00 (includes $25 GST).

You are a little ray of sunshine... 358GBP including third party insurance doesn't seem half bad to me.

It's not really third party insurance though is it? I thought it was third party personal, not property. Not sure what is covered on the UK tax insurance wise, as insurance is compulsory. But say for instance you got hit by a drunk driver, and their insurance refused to cover (as they will in Oz) then are your personal injuries covered by your insurance, or by the car tax?

It's not really third party insurance though is it? I thought it was third party personal, not property. Not sure what is covered on the UK tax insurance wise, as insurance is compulsory. But say for instance you got hit by a drunk driver, and their insurance refused to cover (as they will in Oz) then are your personal injuries covered by your insurance, or by the car tax?

I believe it covers the personal injury, but not the property. So if you get injured by any car that has rego, you can be assured of treatment at the insurers expense. Hence pretty much anyone can drive can drive any car and have a base level of insurance.

But say for instance you got hit by a drunk driver, and their insurance refused to cover (as they will in Oz) then are your personal injuries covered by your insurance, or by the car tax?

In this state...and I think it is the same in others, although the terminology may vary...you pay a compulsory premium with your car rego which goes to the MAIB (Motor Accident Insurance Board). Any personal injury costs associated with an accident (no matter who is at fault) are paid by MAIB.

As I said silly billy its one big rip off..To charge GST and then a stamp duty also is a rip off whether you agree or not..Also I have a fully comprehensive insurance policy which costs me $500 dollars a year, including GST and Stamp duty I might add. So I dont need their stupid 3rd party insurance included in the rego because I already have it with my fully comprehensive car insurance policy..Do you still disagree?

Nothing is covered on the UK tax insurance wise. My mums car got hit by an uninsured driver in the UK and the full cost of the repairs had to be paid by her insurance.

As I said silly billy its one big rip off..To charge GST and then a stamp duty also is a rip off whether you agree or not..Also I have a fully comprehensive insurance policy which costs me $500 dollars a year, including GST and Stamp duty I might add. So I dont need their stupid 3rd party insurance included in the rego because I already have it with my fully comprehensive car insurance policy..Do you still disagree?

To make it simple for you.

CTP (paid with rego) insures for personal injury.

Comp insurance pays for damage to property.

You need to READ what people post before coming out with dribble that has already been covered.

NO, NO, NO. Your comprehensive car insurance covers only damage to property - your car, other cars, fences etc.

It does NOT cover medical expenses for you or anyone else if you are injured or cause injury.

They obviously should change the system to stop you feeling "ripped off". :rolleyes:

So you will go to the Motor Accident Insurance Board Office...pay your insurance premium (which includes 10% GST which you pay on any transaction in Australia - apart from fresh food - and is forwarded to the Australian government).

You then take your proof of personal injury insurance to the Service Tasmania Office and pay your fee to register your car (which includes your 10% stamp duty which is paid to the State government). However, as you object to the stamp duty, they will abolish that and you will, instead, have to pay 10% GST, which will be forwarded to the Australian government.

Personally, my car registration fee amounts to $4 a week. If that is my contribution to the upkeep of roads, signage etc., then I am in no way being ripped off.

Upkeep of roads, signage etc..Doesnt income tax pay for that also..If not what does income tax cover..It doesnt cover medical as the ever increasing medicare levy covers that..Oh and dont forget the new tax they have just introduced on top of all of this..the disability levy, and then there is also the flood levy..Which by the way income tax should cover..Yes we are well and truly ripped off here..BUT Australia is a beautiful country with beautiful wildlife..but we are ripped off big time..much the same as the UK I suppose..But its cheaper there..in the UK, and you dont hear the words fees and levys which are the two words I hear here constantly which do my head in..If you dont like ranters sorry..

Archived