Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Guest Lannylo

Hi all,

I have been looking into the hospitals in the peel region, Mandurah,WA can someone please tell me what the wages are like? we will be taking about 100k (our money) with us, however the interest rates on house mortgages (8.5%)out there seem really high compared to ours back here. How do people afford the houses and the lifestyle? I keep reading that the cost of food is less, however everything else seems really expensive, please could someone offer me some advise.:unsure:

Lannylo

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest michelledenham
All i can say is that they are desperate for nurses which is why they want you on sponsorship visa, its quicker. Its up to you which route you take. I am on a sponsorship visa at a public hospital in Perth but that is because i am over forty five and had no choice. I personally would hold out for another visa as its more secure. However, 457 sponsorship visa is fine, the hospital will sponsor me for pr after 3 months service. :cool:

Hi,

Thanks for your replys.

What hospital are you at?

Do you know what any of the other hospitals are like? Sir Charles, Sir John of God, Hollywood, Freemantle, Royal?

What made you choose your hospital?

Thanks for your help?

Are you finding the work Ok? Or is alot different then the UK?

XXXXXX

Guest j366755

Hi everyone!:smile:

I am anopther new poster, hope you can all help me with my initial questions then when I get more up to date I can help others!

I am a newly qualified staff nurse and have recently been offered a Maternity cover post in UK. Myself and my fiance are hoping to go out to Auz early 2009 after we get married.

My first question is, I would prefer to go to AUZ on the skilled independent visa. Is this possible for someone in my situation? As i am looking at the points test I have

Age 30 points

English Language Ability 25 Points

Nominated Skill 60 Points (need to get skills assessment)

Skills Assessment (need to get but see no prob)

Recent Work experience or 2 years study (will have the study section)

Location Yes

Health Yes

Character Yes

Statement Yes

Specific Work experience No, not enough time

Australian Work experience No

Australian Qualifications No

Occupation in demand No (need 1 years experience, dont want to wait for that)

Community Language No

Regional Study No

Partner Skills Yes (i think looking into his qualifications now) 5 points

So by my calculations I would JUST have the 120 points for this.

Does anyone know what counts as "Similar skilled occupation" to nursing?

Also I have been sent a scan of a jobs newspaper from Brisbane, can anyone tell me 1. what the remuneration figure is? 2. Here I am band 5, in Auz is this grade 6?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for your replys.

What hospital are you at?

Do you know what any of the other hospitals are like? Sir Charles, Sir John of God, Hollywood, Freemantle, Royal?

What made you choose your hospital?

Thanks for your help?

Are you finding the work Ok? Or is alot different then the UK?

XXXXXX

Hi i work at charlies. I chose it because my friend from the uk already worked there and recommended it. The work is good. It is a lot different from the uk. In some ways they are more advanced in others its going back in time. Not much autonomy im afraid. But to be honest i find that relieves the stress. I found it was like learning the job from scratch, although basic nursing skills are the same everywhere, it just is different, but not in a bad way. We can all learn from each other and thats what british nurses need to do when working in oz. We can contribute to oz nursing and visa versa. I personally find it better than uk nursing and am learning lots more than i did in the uk. Anyhow you can pm me if you want any further details. Good luck!! :smile:

Get in touch with Queensland Health (Welcome to Queensland Health - Promoting a healthier Queensland) if you are thinking of going to the Queensland area. I qualified as a band 5 staff nurse in September 2007 and they offered me a position prior to qualifying and we are hoping to head out to Oz as soon as we gat our visas. They provide support in with relocation and there are graduate nurse positions available with more support than you get over here. I have been working in DME for the last 6mths here. As they sponsor your visa it is cheaper and you are guaranteed a permannent job, they will also sponsor you for permanent residency should you wish to pply once you've been in Oz for a couple of years. So far I've found them really helpful. If you are thinking of working Queensland start your application for your registration asap (QNC) this speeds up your application.

If you want to talk more pm me.

Hope this helps and if it doesn't make sense sorry....am on nights at the moment!!!!

Mxxx

Hi everyone!:smile:

I am anopther new poster, hope you can all help me with my initial questions then when I get more up to date I can help others!

I am a newly qualified staff nurse and have recently been offered a Maternity cover post in UK. Myself and my fiance are hoping to go out to Auz early 2009 after we get married.

My first question is, I would prefer to go to AUZ on the skilled independent visa. Is this possible for someone in my situation? As i am looking at the points test I have

Age 30 points

English Language Ability 25 Points

Nominated Skill 60 Points (need to get skills assessment)

Skills Assessment (need to get but see no prob)

Recent Work experience or 2 years study (will have the study section)

Location Yes

Health Yes

Character Yes

Statement Yes

Specific Work experience No, not enough time

Australian Work experience No

Australian Qualifications No

Occupation in demand No (need 1 years experience, dont want to wait for that)

Community Language No

Regional Study No

Partner Skills Yes (i think looking into his qualifications now) 5 points

So by my calculations I would JUST have the 120 points for this.

Does anyone know what counts as "Similar skilled occupation" to nursing?

Also I have been sent a scan of a jobs newspaper from Brisbane, can anyone tell me 1. what the remuneration figure is? 2. Here I am band 5, in Auz is this grade 6?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks

Hi

As I see it you prob be on 1 -1 its different levels 1 and 2 with bands 1-6 I think the second number is your qualified years

Guest j366755

thanks yorkshirepom.

I have a new problem, seems that although other half has been working in his industry for over 10 years he may not be counted as skilled as he only has a HNC. This is not good. Getting Very muddled with all the other Visas,

Is there one that needs less than 1 years experience working as a nurse but more than 0 experience e.g. the graduate visas? I dont know why i cans seem to find that!:wacko:

Thanks

the 457 sponsored visa will get you there without experience, thats my plan instead of waiting the xtra year, most hospitals will sponsor you or try ramasay healthcare they are the largest private group in oz theyre always looking to sponsor

goodluck x

This is a fab thread! Am 30 this year, hubbie and me decided now was the time to take the bull by the horns an move to Oz. Have six months post qualifying experience on DME and have secured a post at the Gold Coast Hospitals with Queensland Health sponsoring my 457 visa. Meds were finalised 1/4/8.....now we wait! It's really helpful reading your posts to get more of an idea of how things are in Oz. Anyone out there work for Queensland Health..particularly at the Gold Coast Hospitals, it would be good to hear from you!

Mxxx :wubclub:

Guest Allsopps3

Hi Everyone! I've been following this thread since it started and I'm amazed at the number of nurses going to Oz and I know of lots more from my own hospital that are also going and are not registered on here. Soon there'll be no-one left!!!

Anyway, my name's Tracey, 42, qualified '93, and I work on an acute adult medical ward hoping to go to Brisbane with my OH and son,8, in April/May 09. I just wondered if anyone was going to the London interviews for the Mater hospital next week?

Tracey:smile:

Guest rach19

Hi all.

My name is Rachael (33) Been qualified for 12 yrs and working in eye clinic outpatients for past 9 yrs. My OH works in I.T. Are there many jobs out there for outpatients as most of the jobs seem to be ward based.

LOL

Rachael

Guest jazzyconkers

Hi Guys

My name is Mark, 4 years post reg, working in private sector "secure forensic", move has been on the cards for years, kids now 8 and 9, so this is the year!!!

am off to London Expo next week, will then start the ball rolling, cant wait.

Mark, Karen, Jasine, Connor "golden grahams"

Guest Hoppy

Hi all

My name is Kelly (30). I've been qualified for 3 yrs and work in womens health on a gynaecology and breast ward. Hoping to go to Adelaide or Queensland with my OH. Independent skilled visa (136) logged in August 07.

Does anyone know if there are many jobs available in IVF nursing, gynae or breast?

:wubclub:

Guest markjulie_j

Can anyone help please, I have been nursing for just over a year on a surgical ward and would like to know if my training counts towards experience, before I sarted my training I was a health care assistant for 8 years. I have had my skills assessed by the ANMC and also have registration for south australia. I want to emmigrate on a 175 visa need the extra points experience brings. can anyone offer advice!

thanks julie

Guest anette

Hi I am a newly qulified nurse from the uk, looking to emmigrate to perth to work as an rmn, are there any mental health nurses out there who can tell me a little bout the mental health system, especially if your in perth, but anywhere is good! thanks A ym x

Hi Anette,

I'm a CMHN - I did 6 months on the ward when I got her (was a CMHN in UK) to get a feel for stuff. Mental Health Act is different and took a little while to get my head around, getting someone into hospital is much easier and you can do the approved mental health practitioners course - it's not just social workers who can 'form' (section) someone. They use alot of branded names for medications instead of the generic one. No BNF type book - just mims (which isn't as good in my opinion)

Patients are the same the world over - same conditions and presentations. There aren't the same community resourses to keep people out of hopsital such as home treatment teams, although there are very good Crisis services.

Don't know what it's like in the big hospitals like Greylands as I work in Armadale. All hospitals are on the look out for nurses so you won't have a problem getting a job.

Ali

Guest anette

thanks ali, where is arndale? I realy want to end up as a cmhn aswell, but as I have no experience may take a little longer than six months! Do you think the quality of care is as good in the mental health hospitals in oz, and are there the same opportunities for rmn's in oz as in the uk, eg, cpn, crisis team, liason psychiatry, nurse theraists etc.. also is it hard to retrain as a counsellor of mental health nursing does not provide these oportunities? sorry for so many questions, but if you could answer any of them that would be great as am finding it hard to find these questions out thanks Amy xx

Guest The "Biscuits"

hi all

Not planning on going until August which is OK as state registration can take upto 3 months to be granted, however , what address do i put on the application form, as we have just sold our house so will be going into a holiday let for 2/3 months.

Can i put a UK address on the form? i.e a relatives. anybody had to do this recently - especially for victoria if so how long did it take and did you encounter any problems?

many thanks

debbie

Guest jo doyle

Hi,

I am currently working in New Zealand (made the leap from the UK over 7 years ago) and loving it here. I am working as a lecturer to nursing students in their third year of a degree programme. However, my sister (and her family) have just made the BIG decision to move to Queensland (from the UK) and so my husband and I have been thinking that we might like to 'jump across the ditch' to join them. I want to know what, if any job opportunities there are for a oldie like me! Any advice on navigating the system, wages and places to approach would be much appreciated.

Cheers

:err:

Jo

Guest The Middletons

What a fantastic thread! We're planning to head out to Adelaide as soon as the 457 comes through, where I've got a gig as a CPN. We're planning to go for PR at the earliest opportunity, and I was wondering what paperwork will be required to go for PR - we want to make sure that we have all required certificates, letters etc with us.

Thanks folks, John

Guest jazzyconkers

Hello everyone

am glad that this thread keeps growing, is great to hear all your stories, am asking if any nurses in Oz have any knowledge of seure hospitals and ther location, am a senior nurse manager in a secure forensic hospital,

we are aiming to make the jump next year, am off to the London Expo this Saturday, have pages of qustions we want to ask,

wish us luck

:smile:Mark, Karen, Jasmine and Connor:smile:

"the golden grahams"

Guest ashmalog

Hi there

i requested my transcript from my college back 25/01/08 and have yet to hear anything, i checked with the bank this week and the cheque hasn't even been cashed!!! I have contacted the college and all they keep saying is 'we have loads of requests as everyone wants to go to australia' - I know I am one of them. they told me it would take 2 months maximum to send the transcript to ANMC so i have already sent off my skills assessment!! Can anyone tell me how long it took their respective college's to send out the transcript? Am i being unrealistic at thinking the ANMC should have got it by now?

Info graetfully appreciated. Have been offered job on a 457 visa but really want to work part time so may go for PR instead.

Guest jazzyconkers
Greylands in Perth has forensic psychiatry

Ali

thanks for that Ali

am off to the London Expo tomorrow so fingers crossed i will come back with lots of info

Archived