Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Guest dee&tim

Hi, wea re new to this site and just embarking on our journey to relocate to Australia as a midwife with 20 years experince and a ceramic tiling contractor of the same experince.

We ahve had an interview with Geneva Health to start me off but would like to know more about the things they do not tell you about relocating and integrating with a new community, the area in which you hope to choose to stay in and the type of working life that you will join.

Is ther anyone who is in and around the Townsville area working as a midwife at present who maybe abe to contact us with hints and tips and the lowdown on life in this area. We are both keen and enthusiastic divers so would welcome tips about the Ungara wreck or liveaboards for the northern reef areas.

We travelled to Perth in November and travelled around western australia arriving in Cairns 22 days later. It was wonderful and we cant wait to get back there and this time to work and live.

Anyone how has contact for tiling jobs please also give us some ideas as tim too needs to work as he cant enjoy himself diving all the time without me, it would not be fair.

Anyone who has any tips for us we would welcome, timing scales and advice.

Hope to hear from someone.

Dee & Tim

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Cadders

Hi I'm Alison,

Great thread !!

Hi to everyone, it's been lovely reading about you all x

Here is my resume !

RGN in 1987, Midwifery in 1993 and currently working as a Midwife/Neonatal Screening Co-ordinator for the newborn hearing screening programme in Walsall, West Midlands.

Applied for 136 Visa and got visa grant at beginning of Feb - woo hoo !

Heading to the Gold Coast and will start work as a Midwife but eventually would be really keen to join the healthy hearing programme in Queensland.

I have a hubby who is also an RGN and 2 children aged 13 & 11.

Hubby is a clinical skills trainer in Walsall - worked as a community nurse prior to this.

Plan is to arrive in Aus for October - if the house sells !!!

No other plans at the mo other than to get over to the Gold Coast, settle the kids and find a job !

Alison xx

Guest carlitos

Hi people. Nice thread.

My wife just got a job offer as a nurse from WA health department on a 457 for 4 years. How long does the visa process take? Have been advised that the health department has to wait 10 days for other applicants to contest the offer decision and if nothing like that happens its all systems go.

Is it recommended to book the medicals and do the police things in advance before you have been advised to do so. Have seen others on thread talking about frontloading the above. Is frontloading the same as doing these things in advance and just waiting to send them off.

For those in OZ already, how much does childcare cost? We have a 3 month old baby and I intend to also work fulltime, child care costs permiting. I work in the telcoms and technology sector.

Thanks people.

Charles

Guest landerson78

Thanks gill, my dad had me worried because he said he had read in one of the nursing magazines that you had to have your degree. Cheers

Guest CathCol

HI thanx for all the help - agencies won't touch me I found out so going for the nursing home option even a shift a week -have time on my hands as thinking of 2010 ( one sitting GCSEs) then maybe get back to agency for more acute work after that. Confirmed flights today for 1st visit felt excited and sick both together!!

:jiggy:

Gonna contact ANC to see what they make of it all!! Catherine

Guest wendy and neil

Hi everyone!

I was thinking of going to australia on a student visa and studying for the certificate iv and the diploma of enrolled nursing. Has anyone done this or any information on this course it is based in Perth. Any info would be great!!

Guest planky

Hi, I've been looking at sponsorships but apparently you have to work full time for your sponsor, and be full time at the time of interview too. Well, I work part-time and want to stay that way if possible, approx 30 hours. Why won't sponsors take you part-time? This would be a great quick route for myself and family but I don't want to go back full time so it looks like i'll just have to wait for 175!!!!!!

Guest meganhannah

hello there, I'm jo and nurse on a oncology/haematology ward. I have just started the process of applying for the 175 visa. How long does it take on average from start to finish. I am hoping to be in oz by end of Jan 2009 ready for new school year. Agent appears to be confident that this will be achievable. What do you think? I am probably hoping to much there!

Would appreciate any advice.

Jo

Guest Lannylo
hello there, I'm jo and nurse on a oncology/haematology ward. I have just started the process of applying for the 175 visa. How long does it take on average from start to finish. I am hoping to be in oz by end of Jan 2009 ready for new school year. Agent appears to be confident that this will be achievable. What do you think? I am probably hoping to much there!

Would appreciate any advice.

Jo

Hello and welcome to the forum,

If you are with an good agent you could possible make the January 09 deadline. The applications can normally be processed within a 12-14 month period, there is at present a backlog of applications, (ive been told that by my agent) so if i was you i would start the process now:yes:. Are you wanting to be sponsored?as this process would not take as much time. Good luck with it!!!

Lanny

Guest Tippy

Hello Eveyone

It is amazing how many nurses there are on here!!!

My name is alex and I am 27, I qulified in July 07 and I am currently working on a paediatric surgical ward in Bristol. My husband and I are right at the begining of this process. We are not able to apply for a visa until August this year as that is when I will have my 12 months experience.

The visa that we are going to apply for is 175 and the main questions that i have are regarding the anmc application and we are hoping to go to perth so the WA nursing board. Is everyone using an agent for there application?? Can you apply to the nursing boards before you apply for your visa??

Hope everyone is doing well

xxxx

:wubclub:

Guest Lannylo
Hello Eveyone

My name is alex and I am 27, I qulified in July 07 and I am currently working on a paediatric surgical ward in Bristol. My husband and I are right at the begining of this process. We are not able to apply for a visa until August this year as that is when I will have my 12 months experience.

The visa that we are going to apply for is 175 and the main questions that i have are regarding the anmc application and we are hoping to go to perth so the WA nursing board. Is everyone using an agent for there application?? Can you apply to the nursing boards before you apply for your visa??

xxxx

Welcome,

We are using agents Thinking Australia, they are EXCELLENT:yes:,try emailing them, they offer loads of support and answer any questions regarding moving down under. They have taken all the strain out of moving to oz for us. I have been in touch with several hossies in perth and they do not all want 12 months experience. Try emailing local hossies in Perth. I do hope this helps you a little.

Lannylo

I came on a 136 (now 175), have a look at the forms to see if you can fill them in yourselves. The hardest bit is getting everything together for you skills assessment - once you've passed that it's just a matter of filing in the visa form. We didn't use an agent. The ANMC will pass on your file to whichever state you want to register with and this saves duplicating everything, you just fill in the form for the nbwa and I put on 'file being sent by anmc'. You can apply to the nursing board first, and I think it's then a different form for the anmc (as you're already registered in a state), I got offerred a job whilst I was waiting for my visa to be granted. Don't be tempted by going on a sponsorship instead of PR.

Ali

Good look

Im applying for the 175 visa and not using an agent. Agents cost a fortune. There are 2 ways to do it you can apply for skills assessment from the ANC and then your visa and decided later which territory you want to apply for. Or like Im doing apply to WANC (well its QNC in my case) then get your skills assessment and then your visa. This is the cheapest route. You can fill all the forms on line and as soon as the application from WANC is processed you can start to apply for jobs.

Good luck Lorraine

Guest JoanneHattersley
Hi, I've been looking at sponsorships but apparently you have to work full time for your sponsor, and be full time at the time of interview too. Well, I work part-time and want to stay that way if possible, approx 30 hours. Why won't sponsors take you part-time? This would be a great quick route for myself and family but I don't want to go back full time so it looks like i'll just have to wait for 175!!!!!!

It is hard work but if you can get here on the 457 and do F/T for 2 years , go for it! Only hassle is if the job is dire + you hate it, you have to either stick it out or you have a month to locate a new sponsor!

The 457 is called the risky visa! Worked for me tho!

Hello Eveyone

You might get a clue in the title of the thread sorry couldn`t resist

xxxx

MaLc:wubclub: :biglaugh:

Guest heather38

Great idea mags!

I am trying to get to melbourne as a nurse but dont know where to start!! ICU trained then opted out to work for medical device company 2 yrs ago!

Still registered with NMC......dont know where to start???:wacko:

Heather

01/10/07 Operation Oz commenced

25/01/08 Research Oz

26/12/08 Reccie mission planned

This is unbelievable wonder to hear that there are so many nurses here on the Offical Nursing thread. I hope this Nursing thread will never ever stop. I myself a Nurse and work in the same Aged Home for the pasted 21 years in Brisbane (South East side) I love working in the same place and will never go anywere else. We have lots of Nursing staff that come to work and live even very far from there homes and will not work anywere else despite the distance travel time is consuming . There are positions for RN's if you are interested working at my work place. We have Night and Morning Shifts. RN's that are looking for working in a warm & friendly family environment. Our homemade meals are free to all staff. Hope there are some RN's here would like to come and check it out? Just email me and I will email you contact details.

Cheers for now.

Libra Nurse

Guest caracarson

Hi there

I am a renal dialysis nurse band 6 at present. I am looking for work in the Melbourne area. Hoppers Cross is where we are heading for next year. I wonder do you have an idea of salaries in this area of nursing? Furthermore, I am rather keen to move into community nursing as this is an area of nursing I really liked when I trained. I am just applying for my skilled Visa. However, I am trying to bring my 21 yr old daughter with us, so have my work cut out. We will be using Jo Grist as our agent so hope everything goes smoothly. Our plan is to keep our house and rent this out. We then will rent in Oz for a year and then hope to buy out there. May have to sell here but will try to keep the property.

Great to read all of your messages.

Caroline Carson:v_SPIN:

Hi Caroline, I am a senior charge nurse and my question is - have you had your skills assesment confirmed from Australia? also are you applying for your permenent skilled visa yourself or using a visa agent? I have my skills assesment back from Oz and would like to know what I am able to apply for myself, if we use a visa company they have estimated £1,800. for the two of us.

I look forward to your reply.

Cheers

Salary sacrafice is great - but at first we kept thinking "there must be a catch to this" - but there isn't it's great. Glad the jobs going well (so far), hope we're going to meet you at Hilarys on the 16th

Ali

Hi Ali

I'm a Community mental healthe nurse - 20 years experience (gosh that looks bad in print! lol). Just been granted our visa today. I have a community post in Melbourne. I was just browsing the site and found your post. I was wondering what Salary sacrafice is? Thanks and all the best to everyone chasing a quality life.

Archived