Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Hey fellow nurses,

Just wandering if any of you could give me your thoughts or experiences with a slight issue I have.

I have recently been offered a nursing position in a hospital in Queensland. It was so exciting to receive an email from the NUM a few weeks ago saying he wanted to offer me a position but it has been a rather nervous wait for the official letter from Queensland Health confirming it. I received this letter this morning, however I'm feeling a little deflated as the salary it states is basically the pay point 1 of a registered nurse. However, I have nearly 10 years experience as a nurse and am currently a senior nurse (band 6) in the UK! I am prepared to take a back step and go back to a registered nurse (band 5) BUT I'm not prepared to back to a newly qualified nurses salary! I was under the impression that Queensland Health paid your salary in relation to how many years of experience you have??

I have emailed them back querying this issue, fingers crossed I will have a positive response!

Has any one else experienced or heard of this?

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey fellow nurses,

Just wandering if any of you could give me your thoughts or experiences with a slight issue I have.

I have recently been offered a nursing position in a hospital in Queensland. It was so exciting to receive an email from the NUM a few weeks ago saying he wanted to offer me a position but it has been a rather nervous wait for the official letter from Queensland Health confirming it. I received this letter this morning, however I'm feeling a little deflated as the salary it states is basically the pay point 1 of a registered nurse. However, I have nearly 10 years experience as a nurse and am currently a senior nurse (band 6) in the UK! I am prepared to take a back step and go back to a registered nurse (band 5) BUT I'm not prepared to back to a newly qualified nurses salary! I was under the impression that Queensland Health paid your salary in relation to how many years of experience you have??

I have emailed them back querying this issue, fingers crossed I will have a positive response!

Quite simply..............and I know how frustrating and demoralising this is.......................they don't have to offer you anything. It's all negotiable................NUMs have a budget (which is why my wife refused offers of that position), they get the brownie points for keeping/reducing that budget. A NUM with her head screwed on, would realise that she could keep her budget lower without "penny pinching" on staff increments.

My wife had all her increments/band recognised, but others who trained with her in the UK, and subsequently came to Oz in her footsteps, didn't. Her opinion, ..............sell yourself...................not much use if the NUM or Nursing Unit Manager doesn't recognise your experience/asset though.

Good Luck

kev

I agree with Johndoe. Discuss what you consider to be an appropriate level of remuneration. If you don't receive the offer you want in writing, don't accept the position. Having been a NUM, and several other senior positions I think it is short sighted to try and penny pinch on quality staff. But it is so often the Queensland way.

I think a NUM who tries to limit your starting pay is likely to have many other issues (flexibility in leave, funding of ongoing education, clinical education support, being prepared to fight for what is best for their ward/area, etc) which will just make working for them unpleasant.

Keep looking

Hey fellow nurses,

Hi paednurse

That's not the kind of news you want to hear! I've been looking at jobs in the private sector and have found that they will honour your years of experience...to a degree, many insist on putting you on RN1 (I'm a Band 7 in the UK), but top of RN 1 with promotional opportunities. If I get a CN role then I intend to try and claim my years of experience. Seems a little bit of a pee take that Qld Health are putting you on RN 1 pay point 1? May be they have overlooked the fact you are 10 years registered??? I would argue the point with them, after all if they want you they will then they will pay for you!:wink:

Hi, does anyone know if I can send my ahpra application to any office or does it have to be Sydney, as that's where I'm heading? It seems Sydney has a very long wait and I am getting impatient now lol....

Thanks, Liz.x

I might have this wrong, and I'm sure someone will soon put me right if so, but if you have a definite job offer, you have to send your application to the AHPRA office in that state. If you do not know where you will be working, then the application can go to any of the offices.

I might have this wrong, and I'm sure someone will soon put me right if so, but if you have a definite job offer, you have to send your application to the AHPRA office in that state. If you do not know where you will be working, then the application can go to any of the offices.

Thanks for the quick reply :)

Liz.x

Guest tandcmum
Hey fellow nurses,

I am currently (or rather was, as we fly in 4 days time) a band 6 in the UK and am also taking a step back down to a staff nurse position, i am going with a private hospital in QLD and they are honouring my years of experience and placing me on the top of the pay scale for the staff nurse. I have to take statements from ym previous employers stating how many hours i have worked over the years and they work it it out on full time equivalent years, so you will probably have to get these too. I have also been told that promotion shouldn't bve a problem after settling for a while and getting used to the aussie way of nursing.

Hope you manage to get it sorted, I too wouldn't be happy to go back down to the newly qualified rate

I am currently (or rather was, as we fly in 4 days time) a band 6 in the UK and am also taking a step back down to a staff nurse position, i am going with a private hospital in QLD and they are honouring my years of experience and placing me on the top of the pay scale for the staff nurse.

I know of one private hospital who are so on the ball,:rolleyes: that they gave one nurse with two years experience a 5 yr increment because they somehow included the training period in the assessment. If they ask you when you started nursing, state the day you started your training................it's worth a try and it isn'y exactly lying...................and if they can't be bothered to look at the documentation?????????:yes:

Hi, does anyone know if I can send my ahpra application to any office or does it have to be Sydney, as that's where I'm heading? It seems Sydney has a very long wait and I am getting impatient now lol....

Thanks, Liz.x

Y

You can send it to any office as AHPRA is a National registration body, Applications we submit through the Darwin office are often processed more efficiently than if submitted to Sydney or Melbourne, I'm guessing they are just much quieter up there.

Guest tandcmum
I know of one private hospital who are so on the ball,:rolleyes: that they gave one nurse with two years experience a 5 yr increment because they somehow included the training period in the assessment. If they ask you when you started nursing, state the day you started your training................it's worth a try and it isn'y exactly lying...................and if they can't be bothered to look at the documentation?????????:yes:

lol, kudos to the nurse who managed that, I've actually been qualified 15 years now and even with my years part time and years when i didn't work i have enough hours of full time equivalent to put me on the top level anyway, but could have been worth a shot i guess

Well the good news is after sending an email justifying why I would not be happy to take this offer I had an almost immediate response from the NUM totally agreeing and saying it was an error on the recruitment dept's side. The NUM has said he will be putting me at pay point 7 (which is the top instead of the bottom!) and the recruitment dept has said they will send me an adjusted letter! Oh yeah panic over!

:biggrin:

The journey continues.....

I had a telephone interview last week and was offered a job. Problem is I thought I was offered a clinical nurse post but turns out it was an RN. They would pay me top increment of level 1 as I have been qualified since 1996. I'm currently band 7 so the idea of going back to RN is a bit depressing. I had accepted the post verbally before I realised the error but have now said I need a bit of time to think things through. I don't really know what to do. It looks like the most realistic entry point is as an RN unless I spot an advert for a CN in the next few weeks (we leave in 12 weeks). I have 2 potential offers on the table. One at Royal Perth and one at Charlie's. One is in the same specialty I'm in now, the other is in a very similar one. RPH for some reason pays $4k less. The people I've spoken to at Charlie's sounded really lovely and were very enthusiastic. I've been in contact with someone at RPH via email.

Would you just take an RN position to get a foot in the door? Both hospitals have talked about acting CN posts being a possibility. Or would you go for something completely different which would pay more but would be more stressful as it would be totally new?

Sorry. I've waffled a bit but hopefully you can see what I'm getting at!

I had a telephone interview last week and was offered a job. Problem is I thought I was offered a clinical nurse post but turns out it was an RN. They would pay me top increment of level 1 as I have been qualified since 1996. I'm currently band 7 so the idea of going back to RN is a bit depressing. I had accepted the post verbally before I realised the error but have now said I need a bit of time to think things through. I don't really know what to do. It looks like the most realistic entry point is as an RN unless I spot an advert for a CN in the next few weeks (we leave in 12 weeks). I have 2 potential offers on the table. One at Royal Perth and one at Charlie's. One is in the same specialty I'm in now, the other is in a very similar one. RPH for some reason pays $4k less. The people I've spoken to at Charlie's sounded really lovely and were very enthusiastic. I've been in contact with someone at RPH via email.

Would you just take an RN position to get a foot in the door? Both hospitals have talked about acting CN posts being a possibility. Or would you go for something completely different which would pay more but would be more stressful as it would be totally new?

Sorry. I've waffled a bit but hopefully you can see what I'm getting at!

With apologies, one interviewing team here offered a PIIO member's wife a non-clinical post as that was all that was available at the time. They did assure the interviewee that should a position be available, once she started at a lower grade, then she should apply for it. The assurance came with a "nod and a wink" that they recognised her UK position and that it was almost certain that she would be given a clinical position as soon as it became available.

If there isn't a clinical position available, they can't just push someone aside, or create a new position, to make way for a new migrant, irrespective of their skill level. My wife was not in a clinical position in the UK but was offered one within 6 months of arrival here. I know of many instances where UK nurses have been offered lower, but been considered, and accepted as soon as a position became available

With apologies, one interviewing team here offered a PIIO member's wife a non-clinical post as that was all that was available at the time. They did assure the interviewee that should a position be available, once she started at a lower grade, then she should apply for it. The assurance came with a "nod and a wink" that they recognised her UK position and that it was almost certain that she would be given a clinical position as soon as it became available.

If there isn't a clinical position available, they can't just push someone aside, or create a new position, to make way for a new migrant, irrespective of their skill level. My wife was not in a clinical position in the UK but was offered one within 6 months of arrival here. I know of many instances where UK nurses have been offered lower, but been considered, and accepted as soon as a position became available

Im not for one second suggesting a job should be created for me or someone pushed aside. I'm not sure how you got that from my post. All I'm asking is do I go from a band 7 to a band 5 just to get that first post in oz or do I hold out and hope that something at a more senior level will come along?

Just had a call from work to sat the Oz High Commission has just called them for verification of employment. They spoke to HR and to my ward manager. Does anybody have examples of how long it took from this point to getting VISA? I am thinking it should not be too long!!

Just had a call from work to sat the Oz High Commission has just called them for verification of employment. They spoke to HR and to my ward manager. Does anybody have examples of how long it took from this point to getting VISA? I am thinking it should not be too long!!

That's great jambos!!! Won't be long now :0D xx

Im not for one second suggesting a job should be created for me or someone pushed aside. I'm not sure how you got that from my post. All I'm asking is do I go from a band 7 to a band 5 just to get that first post in oz or do I hold out and hope that something at a more senior level will come along?

I didn't, and touche.........I don't know how you interpreted that from my response. I'm simply stating that if the budget on a ward is at it's limit, then they will employ within that limit, if their skill mix on the ward is satsifactory. They may need only a band 5 but are quite prepared to take a band 7 if they only have to pay for a band 5. Likewise, if all clinical posts are filled they will employ a clinical nurse at a lower level well knowing that they are getting 'value for money" and, if they have any nouse, will "keep an eye" on that clinical nurse (once employed at a lower level) with a view to offering her/him, a clinical post as it becomes available.

As for your question...................I think it's only you who can make that decision, which is why I've offered an insight as to how it may work for you, as it has worked for others (who were in a similar position to you) whom my wife has found positions for.

All I'm asking is do I go from a band 7 to a band 5 just to get that first post in oz or do I hold out and hope that something at a more senior level will come along?

I guess it all depends on how desperate you are to work in Oz.

I see from your signature that your flights are already booked, maybe because of OH's work?

If you can afford to wait for a post to become vacant then hold out for that but as Johndoe has suggested, if you took the lower grade post the hospital in Oz might well 'earmark' you for a higher grade post when one becomes vacant, and there will also be the added bonus in that they will then know how good you are :smile:

Because that's exactly what you said! I quote "if there isn't a clinical position available, they cant just push someone aside, or just create a new position, to make way for a new migrant"

Not exactly.................I stated that they can't do it.....................I didn't infer that it was what you were suggesting, but believe it or not, it has been expected by some UK nurses that my wife has interviewed. One of them prattled on about how the UK was so far ahead (of Oz) in it's nursing practice, and that her (inferred) superior skills should be recognised.

In many instances, it's a minefield for HR here................folk applying with written references signed by UK NUMs, who, strangely enough, have left their positions and can't be contacted for verification as to what they have written........... nurses with a "written" skill level who, on employment, don't appear to have that skill level. Contacting HR in the UK to confirm a nurses /level/position doesn't mitigate the problem as they can only confirm the position and not how the person in question "performed". It happens frequently with new migrants, and not just in nursing. I'm merely pointing out why interviewers/employers appear in some instances, to be "overly cautious" in recognising a new migrants skills without first offering them a lower position to "see them in action".

• 3 weeks later...

Hi liz

Although it does not make it clear you do need to send two references but very specific criteria (as with all ahpra docs) I sent mine in April and that is what they requested. There is a thread AHPRA May 2012 applications scroll through this and it gives you the guidelines for refsand lots of other useful info. ps make sure your douments are certified by a notary or i believe you can get a JP at the magistrates court much cheaper, but regular solicitor no acceptable. Also are you aware you can get your ANMAC documents sent to Ahpra. Hope this s of some help.

:smile:

Hi Guys,

Sorry to hijack this post a little bit but just wanted to ask a question.....

I have been offered a job in Toowoomba, but I'm a mechanic so enough about me lol. The question is regarding my better half who has just completed her QCF level 3 diploma and is a HCA at an ex military care hospital. How does this translate into the Australian care system and is there much demand for someone with her skills. Her employer is constantly harassing her to carry on the training which she is willing to do, but with an impending move to Oz hasn't committed. I have no doubt she is very good and knowledgeable within her field, I just want to confirm my suspicions about finding her a role in Toowoomba.

Ok Highjack over

Regards

Simon

Archived