Official nurses thread!

Guest scots-in-oz!

Hiya Isis,thanks for your reply

I have registered with Health Staff Recruitment they have sent me a load of information.I will keep you updated.What part of OZ you giong to settle? I am hoping for Perth ,however will settle where I get offered a job.

I work on an elderly assesment ward in my local area and have been qualified for 5 years so hopefully the jobs will not be too scarce.Keep in touch it is good to know that someone else is at the stage I am preparing for

lisa

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Joanne1983

I'm just starting the application process myself, and as you will know well it's extremely baffling!

I have my uni transcripts from my nurse training (it has on practice hours, setting etc). I've gathered together my birth cert, drivers licence, university qualification certs and i have a letter from my secondary school stating when i was there and that i was taught in and assessed in english.

I'm also in the process of compiling my cv and my ward manager is putting together a reference letter for me.

Next on my list is my APHRA application, which im dreading as i've only heard bad things about it! I'm planning on going to Sydney as i have family there, and going on a working hol visa. I've read on quite a few threads that the Sydney office has a huge backlog of applications and can take over a year to process apps. Some people are advising folk to apply to different city offices in order to quicken the process. Do you know anything about this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :-)

Jo x

Guest guest66832

I am a big fan of nurses, I think they do a great job. My question is, where do nurses usually go to drink in Sydney? If you nurses could provide me with the names of a few popular pubs and bars where you frequent that would be great. Also, if there are any single nurses in Sydney that would like to show a single guy around the city then please feel free to message me. Cheers :biggrin:

Guest arablee83

hi guys my name is lee i have recently secured a job with the perth clinic registration today i am currently working in scotland as a mental health nurse been qualified for three years and like most others am wanting to leave the nhs behind. this is a great idea for a thread good to keep up with other nurses

Guest isis1mcc

Hey there Lisa,

We heading over to Queensland, Bundaberg. Am so excited and cant wait. It goes in so quick by the way you'll be steps forward before you know it. Will also keep you posted on how I get on with this visa and look forward to hearing how you get on.

And I like your style RobinOz:) No messing about! lol. Isis

Guest guest66832
Hey there Lisa,

And I like your style RobinOz:) No messing about! lol. Isis

Well we have to support the nurses don't we x

Guest arablee83
I'm just starting the application process myself, and as you will know well it's extremely baffling!

I have my uni transcripts from my nurse training (it has on practice hours, setting etc). I've gathered together my birth cert, drivers licence, university qualification certs and i have a letter from my secondary school stating when i was there and that i was taught in and assessed in english.

I'm also in the process of compiling my cv and my ward manager is putting together a reference letter for me.

Next on my list is my APHRA application, which im dreading as i've only heard bad things about it! I'm planning on going to Sydney as i have family there, and going on a working hol visa. I've read on quite a few threads that the Sydney office has a huge backlog of applications and can take over a year to process apps. Some people are advising folk to apply to different city offices in order to quicken the process. Do you know anything about this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :-)

Jo x

hi jo iheard the same thing about ahpra and was advised to apply through the perth office as they were processing quicker than others and i think it has only taken me three months to get my registration through. i personally have had not a too bad experience with ahpra the biggest problem i had was getting stuff from nmc. hope this helps a littlebit

Hi

With regard to AHPRA if you don't have a job offer you can apply to any office but if you do then you have to apply to the state where your job is. I have a job offer in Sydney so have no choice but to apply there. I have heard that if you have an offer they do prioritize your application - but by how much I don't know. Just about to submit mine, so fingers crossed it won't take to long :)

I don`t know if I am too sensitive but did anyone get less than courteous treatment from ANMAC? My husband called them today to check on the application process ( we`ve been waiting for over 2 months now and as per last email we got they were getting to his application). He was told that " I got your email, you don`t have to call me and follow up , I will email you when I am done", all this in a rather nasty way:mad:. Do they really expect us to grovel? Some knowledge of customer service would be beneficial, after all it is a PAID service. Rant over, just needed to get it off my chest :frown:

Hiya isis

Will keep you updated.Just wanted to pick your brains.Been reading some threads which have stated that the registration with ANMC has taken much longer than they thought.For some poor guy 12 mths.Have you had yours yet and did you apply with state you want to practise in.

Lisa

I don`t know if I am too sensitive but did anyone get less than courteous treatment from ANMAC? My husband called them today to check on the application process ( we`ve been waiting for over 2 months now and as per last email we got they were getting to his application). He was told that " I got your email, you don`t have to call me and follow up , I will email you when I am done", all this in a rather nasty way:mad:. Do they really expect us to grovel? Some knowledge of customer service would be beneficial, after all it is a PAID service. Rant over, just needed to get it off my chest :frown:

:hug: Not nice :sad:

Hi Maruska,

I might be understand your feeling. I sent all documents on 10 April, however, it was returned to my mailbox 2 weeks later with no reason. I have to resent by speedpost. As well as the verification of registration and english result statement, they were initially cheecked off at the website (means received). But it was just removed the check when the application received. So all documents and verification and test result were requested twice and sent by speedpost. WHen I sent a enquiry email, the reply is similar as yours, indicates my email took the officer too much of time.. What I could do is to hold my breath, and wait... Now, request me to send the verification of registration status from AHPRA, that might take a few weeks..... at beginning, no one ask for that, only the certified copy of AHPRA registration certificate... I guess I wont be able to submit the migration application before July.... nothing can do now... just wait...some how i am wondering, shall I go or not because of these communication..

well, lets wait patiently. nothing could be done now. Good luck to us.

Guest isis1mcc

Hey there Lisa,

We went down the 457 visa (temporary long stay) which does not require a skills assessment with ANMC (it is required for PR visa's), this looks like it will still apply after the July changes. I had to however get registered with AHPRA which took 3 months (still to be finalized once I land there).

I'm sure someone will give you some dates to how long this took:)

Isis

Guest isis1mcc

One more thing Lisa,

if you are going down the PR route and need to do a skills assessment with ANMAC you will also need to do the IELTS and score 7 in all categories.

if you go with the 457 you are required to be registered with AHPRA inorder to practice anywhere in Australia. At present you are not required to do the IELTS if you can prove your secondary education and university have been taught in English.

Ps note I think that the new changes for visa's in July may require you to take the IELTS for the 457 but you only need to score 5 in each category but not entirely sure about this so will need to wait till the changes actually come out first.

Hope this makes sense and that I'm explaining it clearly, if not please can other posters jump in:)

Isis

Hi Maruska,

I might be understand your feeling. I sent all documents on 10 April, however, it was returned to my mailbox 2 weeks later with no reason. I have to resent by speedpost. As well as the verification of registration and english result statement, they were initially cheecked off at the website (means received). But it was just removed the check when the application received. So all documents and verification and test result were requested twice and sent by speedpost. WHen I sent a enquiry email, the reply is similar as yours, indicates my email took the officer too much of time.. What I could do is to hold my breath, and wait... Now, request me to send the verification of registration status from AHPRA, that might take a few weeks..... at beginning, no one ask for that, only the certified copy of AHPRA registration certificate... I guess I wont be able to submit the migration application before July.... nothing can do now... just wait...some how i am wondering, shall I go or not because of these communication..

well, lets wait patiently. nothing could be done now. Good luck to us.

Hi Helen,

seems strange that they would want an AHPRA registration, we didn`t even apply for it yet:err:

. Are you already registered? In that case they want the license from where you are CURRENTLY REGISTERED so that would make sense. I guess we need to grow a thicker skin, I was spoiled by American customer service ( nonexistent in my country of origin:wink:).

Hiya isis

Thanks for the information.We hoping to go down the 457 route too.Need to gather all my documents then ready to go.Hopefully wont take to long.When do you leave the UK,and what was your timeline from application to date of flying? Wish you all the best,keep in touch.

Lisa

Guest isis1mcc

Hey there Lisa,

The timelines from the start of this proces to leaving varies from person to person. Some peoples AHPRA can take 6 weeks others 6 months. Mine took 3 months. My time frames:

1st attempt at IELTS - May 2011 (9, 7.5, 7.5, 6.5) just missed it by 0.5 in reading.

Applied to AHPRA June 2011 - approved Aug 2011 (roughly 3 months)

I registered with 2 agencies but didnt start really looking for jobs till after christmas and new year. (very slow (jobs) during this period.

Initially I was specific and wanted Queensland and wanted to leave later in the year but found being so specific proved unfavourable in trying to get a job.Also being general medical did not help matters. Feb 2012 Queensland Health offered me a rural position but OH wouldnt get work so would be financially tough. InMarch 2012 started the process of the Alfred job which tooks weeks to get the interview then weeks to hear back - didnt get it (but think this worked out so much in our favour) Apparently jobs are hard to come by in Melbourne and nursing also sounds similar to whats happening here eg cutbacks etc. Also accomodation and living is expensive.

Then out of the blue (May) was asked if I would be interested in this one in Queensland where I wanted to go originally and even though I didnt know this town if ticks all our boxes!!! Got the interview and offer within a month and now just starting the 457 visa process. Which I think could take anything like 4 - 8 weeks if everything is in order. Will keep you updated as I go along. Ps I actually booked for a third IELTS test in end of April for June as didnt think I would get a job and thought I would need to go the new EOI route for PR (these are the new changes for 2012).

What job you in, specialities such as critical care, ccu, theatre nurses, emergency nurses, mental health nurses seem to be able to find jobs easier than general medical nurses. Anyway let me stop rambling on and hope this is helpful, will keep you posted on this 457 visa and let me know how you get on to. Isis

Hey there Lisa,

The timelines from the start of this proces to leaving varies from person to person. Some peoples AHPRA can take 6 weeks others 6 months. Mine took 3 months. My time frames:

1st attempt at IELTS - May 2011 (9, 7.5, 7.5, 6.5) just missed it by 0.5 in reading.

Applied to AHPRA June 2011 - approved Aug 2011 (roughly 3 months)

I registered with 2 agencies but didnt start really looking for jobs till after christmas and new year. (very slow (jobs) during this period.

Initially I was specific and wanted Queensland and wanted to leave later in the year but found being so specific proved unfavourable in trying to get a job.Also being general medical did not help matters. Feb 2012 Queensland Health offered me a rural position but OH wouldnt get work so would be financially tough. InMarch 2012 started the process of the Alfred job which tooks weeks to get the interview then weeks to hear back - didnt get it (but think this worked out so much in our favour) Apparently jobs are hard to come by in Melbourne and nursing also sounds similar to whats happening here eg cutbacks etc. Also accomodation and living is expensive.

Then out of the blue (May) was asked if I would be interested in this one in Queensland where I wanted to go originally and even though I didnt know this town if ticks all our boxes!!! Got the interview and offer within a month and now just starting the 457 visa process. Which I think could take anything like 4 - 8 weeks if everything is in order. Will keep you updated as I go along. Ps I actually booked for a third IELTS test in end of April for June as didnt think I would get a job and thought I would need to go the new EOI route for PR (these are the new changes for 2012).

What job you in, specialities such as critical care, ccu, theatre nurses, emergency nurses, mental health nurses seem to be able to find jobs easier than general medical nurses. Anyway let me stop rambling on and hope this is helpful, will keep you posted on this 457 visa and let me know how you get on to. Isis

I am going on a 457 and have a job and sponsorship so this week will start the 457 process. any tips would be great! I have had a look through some of the info and just making sure I have all the right documents before I lodge application ( I did this with ahpra and that took 4 weeks to come through)thanks Marion x

Guest isis1mcc

Hey there Marion,

I am at the early stages of the 457, my employer has started the process but still awaiting the TRN number or reference number to start my side of the visa application. You probably ahead of me in the process:) Where you heading? Great to meet like minded people going through the same stuff.

Do keep us updated too:) Isis

Hey guys,

My name is Dan Brown - 22yrs old and Im qualifying in August as an Adult nurse Dip He :laugh: Done alot of rehabilitation and Colo-rectal work over the past three years so they're the areas id be looking into.

I'm seriously considering emigrating/working to Australia Sydney (minimum two years). I've found a perfect teaching hospital called The Princes of Wales Hospital.

Can anyone advise how difficult this will be to achieve?

Also what are salaries/living costs in this area?

Really appreciate any advise you guys can give!

Hey guys,

My name is Dan Brown - 22yrs old and Im qualifying in August as an Adult nurse Dip He :laugh: Done alot of rehabilitation and Colo-rectal work over the past three years so they're the areas id be looking into.

I'm seriously considering emigrating/working to Australia Sydney (minimum two years). I've found a perfect teaching hospital called The Princes of Wales Hospital.

Can anyone advise how difficult this will be to achieve?

Also what are salaries/living costs in this area?

Really appreciate any advise you guys can give!

Hi Dan, welcome to PIO.

It would be difficult to get a job/visa without some experience. Oz nurses have to do a one year graduate programme to finish their training.

Can you get a years experience first in the UK? Your placement experience will not count as experience for visa purposes. They only count post-registration experience.

You can try to enrol in some of the graduate programmes but they are usually full with Oz graduates. Private hospitals might be easier to get into for graduate programmes.

Good luck. :smile:

Archived