no central heating!

anitalund

Help! My husband is living in Sydney and me and our 3 kids are joining him in 5 weeks. There's no heating in the house but we have a large gas heater. The trouble is, the house feels damp and it's cold! What does everyone do to keep warm and stop the damp? Are dehumidifiers common out there? He says he's also cold in bed! Any advice gratefully received. (wish I could take our gas boiler and radiators lol)

We move over next month and i am really worried about this...none of my family here are taking it seriously thinking it will be so warm in sydney...I knw different from reading on here :( it's the one thing I'm not looking forward to as I lived in a cold damp House before and it was so depressing, i got out after a week..i hate being cold especially inside..so I'll b interested to hear replies as to how other people manage xx

Winters are cold.

I have missed 12 years of central heating, but it's a small price to pay for the rest of the year. My winter mornings consist of jumping out of bed, running to a hot shower and dressing in 30 seconds flat because it is soooo cold..

The evenings? Well a blanket and a heater that is only put on occasionally ( power bills are huge here).

We're in Canberra and although we have ducted heating now, previous houses have only had gas heaters in one room. We used oil heaters to heat the other rooms and generally wrapped up in lots of layers. Hot water bottles for bed or you could get electric blankets. I wouldn't be without ducted heating now to be honest, despite the cost. However, we've never had a damp problem in Canberra. I would be wary if the house is damp because of mould, is there any mould in the house?

I'm in Perth and haven't needed any heating yet I just stick something warm on buy we do have a gas fire and when it's really cold that is sufficient so long as we leave all the internal doors open. Also during the day open any blinds so the sun can come in to warm it up.

I'm in Perth and haven't needed any heating yet I just stick something warm on buy we do have a gas fire and when it's really cold that I'd sufficient so long as we leave all the internal doors open. Also during the day open any blinds so the sun can come in to warm it up.

I'm in Perth too. Don't you find it icy in the early morning?

We are in Brisbane and we get by without any heating, but we are fortunate and have a well insulated house.

From past experience in Tasmania you can get by with a heather in a room or two, but it it is a different way of living as you don't often get the heating kicking in an hour before you get up so that the house is all toasty warm. But, to be honest, as long as you keep the damp out, there is nowt wrong with a cool house.

We move over next month and i am really worried about this...none of my family here are taking it seriously thinking it will be so warm in sydney...I knw different from reading on here :( it's the one thing I'm not looking forward to as I lived in a cold damp House before and it was so depressing, i got out after a week..i hate being cold especially inside..so I'll b interested to hear replies as to how other people manage xx

It's easy. Rent a house with central heating - plenty around.

Thats what I'm worried about :( but hopefully all the other good things will make up for the cold n damp, fingers crossed x

When we were looking for somewhere to live, we were lucky to find air con for $500 per week, definitely none with heating.

Well it depends where you are moving. People say that heating is rare just before they tell you it doesn't matter.

In Victoria over half of all houses have central heating (we've had the stats out before on this forum to prove it!). In Sydney it might be rarer but hold out for it if you can. Australian houses are not insulated to European standards and you feel a lot colder inside - bigger windows, no double glazing, single brick/ timber walls. So try hard to get it - or look for houses with air conditioners as they often heat too and it is a reasonably cheap form of heating. The good news is that winter doesn't last that long.

Guest Ptp113
Help! My husband is living in Sydney and me and our 3 kids are joining him in 5 weeks. There's no heating in the house but we have a large gas heater. The trouble is, the house feels damp and it's cold! What does everyone do to keep warm and stop the damp? Are dehumidifiers common out there? He says he's also cold in bed! Any advice gratefully received. (wish I could take our gas boiler and radiators lol)

Gas boiler and radiators are VERY inefficient, but the relevant authorities in Britain have had little success in getting poms to move to efficient heating. Not without trying for decades though. Here take a look at a cheap split system air-con if renting, or ducted air-con if you have purchased a property. You'll really appreciate the cooling side in summer.

We use electric blankets in our beds, we open the windows in the mornings to air the house, regardless of how cold it is, and we have a wood burning stove which keeps the downstairs warm, although we also have throws on the sofa for wrapping up in.

You do get used to the cold. The first year we were here we felt absolutely frozen. Now (four winters later) we don't find it too bad

Yes there is mould, it manifests itself behind drawers and all sorts. We are renting (for now) but our furniture is being shipped out and we have some lovely oak stuff that I'm a bit concerned about. I don't want it to get ruined...

Gas boiler and radiators are VERY inefficient, but the relevant authorities in Britain have had little success in getting poms to move to efficient heating. Not without trying for decades though. Here take a look at a cheap split system air-con if renting, or ducted air-con if you have purchased a property. You'll really appreciate the cooling side in summer.

What is this efficient heating of which you speak?

First house we rented was old, cold, damp. Moved out after 9 months. We now rent a house with ducted air and a log burner, the standard of living is much, much better. I also like electric blanket to heat the bed, but it goes off before I get in, just takes the chill off the sheets. Come September it does get a bit warmer and to be fair, you'll be wanting A/C before long! I do feel for you though as I hated our first house. Oil of cloves is good if you find any mould and airing all rooms daily.

Yes there is mould, it manifests itself behind drawers and all sorts. We are renting (for now) but our furniture is being shipped out and we have some lovely oak stuff that I'm a bit concerned about. I don't want it to get ruined...

I would look for options to move to another rental when you get out there to be honest. You don't want to be living with mould long term.

Archived