no central heating!

anitalund

Yes there is mould, it manifests itself behind drawers and all sorts.

I lived in Sydney many years ago and had mould problems in summer because of the humidity then. So it would be worth getting a dehumidifier for year round.

I now have a woodburner which heats the whole house (in Tasmania) but I don't know how common they are in Sydney, or the price of firewood there.

The chilly house I can deal with, wearing jumpers, using hot water bottles, thick curtains on the single windows and poorly fitting doors but what really chills me is getting out of the shower. It gets so toasty inside the cubicle that just sliding that door back is hard! and then no heating in the bathroom brrrrr, I have started pulling on a towelling dressing gown and making a run for the gas fire in the front room - have to make sure all the children are in bed before I do this so I don't give them nightmares ;)

I lived in Sydney many years ago and had mould problems in summer because of the humidity then. So it would be worth getting a dehumidifier for year round.

I now have a woodburner which heats the whole house (in Tasmania) but I don't know how common they are in Sydney, or the price of firewood there.

Firewood is quite expensive, but totally worth it, in my opinion. We buy it in the summer and split and store it in the garage. Sometimes you do come across people who are giving it away for free if they have had a tree removed, but it goes pretty quick! I think the ironbark that we buy is about $200 per 500kg which comes in a 1m3 bag, this is for Sutherland Shire. You can get cheaper, but we found that it wasn't properly seasoned and it was damp, so it was far inferior in terms of the heat output meaning you used more and it also tarred up the chimney to a greater extent.

Coincidently, we are getting another 2m3 of wood delivered today ($290).

Basically, its cold and damp in Sydney in the winter and you feel like a subsistence farmer in the 3rd world, gathering dry kindling during the day to avoid freezing at night.

If you have got central heating, you also need the $$ income to pay for it. My only advice, is get some warm clothes and huddle round a gas/leccy heater, or get a house with a wood burner. In 3 months it will be roasting again.:jiggy:

The chilly house I can deal with, wearing jumpers, using hot water bottles, thick curtains on the single windows and poorly fitting doors but what really chills me is getting out of the shower. It gets so toasty inside the cubicle that just sliding that door back is hard! and then no heating in the bathroom brrrrr, I have started pulling on a towelling dressing gown and making a run for the gas fire in the front room - have to make sure all the children are in bed before I do this so I don't give them nightmares ;)

we have power points in the bathroom for a reason - $15 fan heater - never be cold again!

Quite often the only time in the day (during the winter) when I feel warm is when in the shower. I crank the hot tap up to scalding point just before I get out in the hope I can get through the 'get-dry-get-dressed' phase of my ablutions without 'freezing'.

On another thread, I said that I had lost weight since coming here. I put much of that down to my metabolism speeding up to cope with the (brief) winter. :biggrin:

Guest Ptp113
What is this efficient heating of which you speak?

Heat pump or 6 star gas. Pommy central heating boilers range from a woeful 55% efficiency (old gas heavy weight) to 89% (new condensing). Older style dominates in Blighty.

Heat pump or 6 star gas. Pommy central heating boilers range from a woeful 55% efficiency (old gas heavy weight) to 89% (new condensing). Older style dominates in Blighty.

My small 2 bedroom house in the UK has a combi boiler. When I first moved in it was a bit chilly in the winter, the cavity wall and loft insulation made a big difference.

Guest Ptp113
My small 2 bedroom house in the UK has a combi boiler. When I first moved in it was a bit chilly in the winter, the cavity wall and loft insulation made a big difference.

As it does here.

Well, have to admit we have found it a bit too chilly for our liking and we are in Brissy ! So we've been wearing hoodies etc.. Then today our fantastic Ozzy mates were round having a cuppa and I mentioned our lack of heating. He then said but you've got heating. I said no its air con and that we had tried cranking the numbers up to see if it went warm. So after he took the control from this daft Pom and changed the mode to the sunshine symbol we now have heating !!! We are loving it so much we are going to bed with it on...well until tomorrow when I decide I'm too tight to pay for the cost of it :laugh:

Guest Guest26012
Well, have to admit we have found it a bit too chilly for our liking and we are in Brissy ! So we've been wearing hoodies etc.. Then today our fantastic Ozzy mates were round having a cuppa and I mentioned our lack of heating. He then said but you've got heating. I said no its air con and that we had tried cranking the numbers up to see if it went warm. So after he took the control from this daft Pom and changed the mode to the sunshine symbol we now have heating !!! We are loving it so much we are going to bed with it on...well until tomorrow when I decide I'm too tight to pay for the cost of it :laugh:

lol! Yes, reverse cycle is handy. Wouldn't want central heating here. We have a gas heater and flannelette sheets and fur blankets in the winter. The gas heater gets used occasionally but is only on for half an hour cos it gets too warm.

Archived