Supermarket Smack

clara111

I actually didn't say anything about the ethics of smacking or whether I do or don't believe in it.

I think it is unnecessary to legislate it, and it should come down to parental discretion.

Just because we believe something is right or wrong doesn't mean we need a law about it.

Serious abuse cases can be handled by existing laws, so a smacking law is unnecessary.

Do you (have you) smack(ed) your kids?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You've been coming up with 'excuses' for why/how this happened, which gives the impression that you are not entirely in disagreement with the ethics behind hitting a child.

I can only relate what I have seen and experienced. If you wish to twist that into 'excuses' and second guess my attitude to children then that is your choice...but you happen to be very wrong.

Think its pretty obvious for most couples, leave them with the oh. I did. Of course there are those that cannot do this. I have yet to see a child that enjoys going to the supermarket. We have supermarkets open until midnight from seven in the morning so I would hope that oh would be at home some of the time to look after the kids while I did the shopping.

My philosophy is rather different. I expect my child to behave appropriately in all situations. Therefore rather than leaving her at home to avoid her being in these situations, we go to the supermarket together and she helps me. She likes it as she enjoys helping out and sharing tasks together. It's a sense of accomplishment for her and a great help for me.

Think its pretty obvious for most couples, leave them with the oh. I did. Of course there are those that cannot do this. I have yet to see a child that enjoys going to the supermarket. We have supermarkets open until midnight from seven in the morning so I would hope that oh would be at home some of the time to look after the kids while I did the shopping.

Are you suggesting that the OP should have done her shopping between midnight and 7am or the woman that assaulted her child should have?

FYI one of my kids likes supermarket shopping and the other doesn't

Are you suggesting that the OP should have done her shopping between midnight and 7am or the woman that assaulted her child should have?

FYI one of my kids likes supermarket shopping and the other doesn't

No what I am saying is why do it with children when my children were of an age to need supervision my oh did the shopping or I did we shared everything, no roles in our home just sensible to do what each could and taking children to a supermarket or going together for that matter was not a need for our relationship. Food buying is a necessity not entertainment. Now I would use on line if I needed a big shop

No what I am saying is why do it with children when my children were of an age to need supervision my oh did the shopping or I did we shared everything, no roles in our home just sensible to do what each could and taking children to a supermarket or going together for that matter was not a need for our relationship. Food buying is a necessity not entertainment. Now I would use on line if I needed a big shop

Really I don't think that is the answer.

There is nothing wrong with the OP taking her kids to the shops.

The one at fault is the woman who inappropriately smacked a child she had no responsibility for.

each to their own i suppose:unsure:

It is illegal to smack a child in Australia, whether you are the parent or not. Admittedly someone has to make a complaint and it is probably the most widely ignored law in Australia, but it is illegal and if you (or someone else) is seen smacking a child you/they can be prosecuted. The lady was out of order and assaulted your child. It is up to you what you do about it. I know what I would do if someone smacked one of my children, but it is up to you what you do about it. :policeman: Hint

It is illegal to smack a child in Australia, whether you are the parent or not. Admittedly someone has to make a complaint and it is probably the most widely ignored law in Australia, but it is illegal and if you (or someone else) is seen smacking a child you/they can be prosecuted. The lady was out of order and assaulted your child. It is up to you what you do about it. I know what I would do if someone smacked one of my children, but it is up to you what you do about it. :policeman: Hint

Where on earth did you get that idea.

​There is no such law in Australia.

Really I don't think that is the answer.

There is nothing wrong with the OP taking her kids to the shops.

The one at fault is the woman who inappropriately smacked a child she had no responsibility for.

If that's what happened. The only witness was an 8 year old boy and the child wasn't crying. I know if a complete stranger had smacked my children at 4 years old they'd have cried there eyes out, unless they make them harder where they come from !:err:

Where on earth did you get that idea.

​There is no such law in Australia.

I've been told it by several Australian's, once when one saw me giving me son a smack on the bottom for biting his little brother. I assumed, because I have been told it several times by people born and raised in Australia, that it must be true. However, you are quite correct. Having researched it online over the past half hour, I see I was wrong and it is not illegal.

Thanks for pointing it out.

I would like to tell you about something that happened to me nearly forty years ago when I was teaching.

Free play, inside. I was walking across the room, swinging my arms (not violently, just as I moved) and a child got up and suddenly cut across my path. One of my hands caught him on the side of his head. (this sounds like a lie already, except it isnt). I say 'caught' because in reality it hardly made contact. I stopped bent down, said 'oh goodness, I'm so sorry, did I knock you with my hand?' and the kid (his name was Dean, I still remember after all this time) said 'yes' I explained it was an accident, said sorry again, got on with what I was doing and forgot all about it.

Till half an hour after home time when the deputy head arrived in my room with an extremely irate parent threatening to sue me / knock my block off for 'slapping her child in the face'

I couldnt even remember the incident for a second or two, then I realised. I asked the child, in front of his mother if I had hurt him, and he said 'no'. I asked him if he really thought I had hit him - he said 'yes'! Eventually mum and the dep. head were convinced, largely because he was so un-upset. I still have no idea why he felt the need to tell her, but he could not differentiate between a deliberate slap and an accident.

I had been teaching for about two years at the time and was absolutely traumatised by this event - to the point of reconsidering my choice of career.

My point is, if you didnt see what happened and your daughter wasnt upset, then its impossible to really know what happened unless you get a look at the CCTV in the store. If you want to go that way, I'd be quick before they wipe the tapes.

One last comment. Many people answering this thread seem to think anyone over the age of about 55 is some kind of moral neanderthal.

We older types do actually follow current affairs and live and learn you know? Generational prejudice is a bit of a pain in the face tbh.

Archived